Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What AREN'T You Reading?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  20:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"George R. R. Martin, because I hear that there is a lot of sexual content in his novels."

Why is this a problem? I am asking out of curiosity. I don't know what you expect when you think "a lot", but you ARE missing out on probably the best novels ever, regardless of genre (well, the three first books anyway - 'A Game of Thrones', 'A Clash of Kings', and 'A Storm of Swords'). And the titles are more suggestive of what there is a lot of - political games, royal clashes, and swordly storms :) On the other hand, not having read them allows you to avoid the torture that is waiting for YEARS for the next installment, so maybe it's for the best.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  21:30:01  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

fantasy novels that have werewolves, there is no such thing

Revenge of the Rose by Michael Moorcock. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Legacy of Wolves by Marsheila Rockwell.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  01:31:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Revenge of the Rose by Michael Moorcock. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Legacy of Wolves by Marsheila Rockwell.

Legacy of Wolves is a fascinating read. Rockwell needs to write for the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  01:41:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

"George R. R. Martin, because I hear that there is a lot of sexual content in his novels."

Why is this a problem? I am asking out of curiosity. I don't know what you expect when you think "a lot", but you ARE missing out on probably the best novels ever, regardless of genre (well, the three first books anyway - 'A Game of Thrones', 'A Clash of Kings', and 'A Storm of Swords'). And the titles are more suggestive of what there is a lot of - political games, royal clashes, and swordly storms :) On the other hand, not having read them allows you to avoid the torture that is waiting for YEARS for the next installment, so maybe it's for the best.

I can understand not wanting to read the series yet because it's not finished...and probably won't be for 10 more years; but to not read it because it has sex in it seems strange to me. This is one of the best fantasy series ever written and any fan of fantasy should at least give the first book a shot.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  07:04:01  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Legacy of Wolves is a fascinating read. Rockwell needs to write for the Realms.

I second that. I found Legacy of Wolves entertaining, and it portrayed the setting easily enough to someone who's not familiar with Eberron.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  14:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I am a bit old-fashioned, and totally okay with myself in that manner. I loved the Matrix Reloaded except for the long sex scene interspersed with relevant plot (Agent Smith "possessing" a human in the Matrix). Anyways, I do not mind "fade-to-black/morning after" scenes, but I find graphic detail (either on screen or on pages) unsettling. Pretty much, I like my entertainment rated PG-13 for violence and not sexual content. You may agree or disagree with that, but that is how I am.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  15:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

@Ayrik: While I understand the assessment of GRRM, I'm not sure I agree. I'm not claiming all of his work is necessarily original/ground-breaking, but rather that that's ok. It is a simple fact of all writing that good writers borrow, great writers steal. And I consider it a gold start for Martin that he experiments, pushes boundaries, and brings more things to the genre rather than relying on rote tropes.

Although I do agree with you, Erik - and incidentally also commend your ambivalent/supportive professionalism - I wonder if you would remain so sanguine in response to a well-known author so closely duplicating your own written works and styles.
We're all pretty much copying Shakespeare, and I don't see him complaining.

But seriously, unless said author explicitly breaks copyright law (which is another matter altogether), it's rather difficult to prove it's a copy job and not just a coincidence. Also, I'd love to inspire a powerful fantasy writer, and if someone like G.R.R.M. wrote a book like one of mine and it got more people to read mine, that seems kind of a win-win.

So yes, it appears I remain sanguine.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  15:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it does seem rather clear that one writer is borrowing liberally from another specific writer. But I think we should also recognize that as creators create, they contribute to a pool of ideas, images, and tropes that ultimately become fair game for others to use. Nobody currently writing Forgotten Realms fiction came up with the notions of mock-medieval worlds where multiple sentient races exist, wizards who cast powerful magic in the midst of battle, enchanted weapons, etc. But I don't think readers would want us writers to exclude tthose elements on the grounds that we didn't come up with the essential concepts.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  22:13:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

We're all pretty much copying Shakespeare, and I don't see him complaining.

And Shakespeare (or Bacon) copied -- sometimes to the point of just filing off the serial numbers -- Greco-Roman mythology.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  15:01:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, how could I forget Christie Golden. I still haven't gotten over with what she did to Arthas.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  22:51:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Oh, how could I forget Christie Golden. I still haven't gotten over with what she did to Arthas.

Who?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  04:50:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

Who?
Just click here.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:15:10  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who?
Just click here.

Maybe he has scraped the existence of that novel from his memory.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:18:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I tried to, actually. But it's easier to forget those that you're indifferent to than those you hate.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:36:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who?
Just click here.

Ahh. I've never read a Warcraft novel and don't plan on it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:42:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why? Some are actually good. You can start with anything by Richard A. Knaak.

Christie Golden continues to write for the setting. There's even one scheduled for release this year. So apparently, many people still read and love her. But I don't care. I'm not giving her a “second chance.”

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  15:54:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books based on games don't appeal to me.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  16:07:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But games based on books do?

Really, it's all a matter of how an author presents the story. And Knaak has a “knack” of making the reader forget it's a game. Besides, an author usually adds some personal touches that cannot be found in the games.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  10:26:15  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lore parts of the manuals from the old non-wow games are hilarious. Old school art, and really simplistic stuff. Tried to read a Warcraft novel once but couldn't get into it, I didn't care one bit about the story when I played wow, and it seemed to translate to me not caring about anything more fleshed out in novel form.
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  13:56:35  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that I'll ever read any of Piers Anthony's Xanth books, although I've enjoyed his Incantations of Immortality series.

Xanth is just too slow going for me (I've tried to read the books and listen to audiobooks and it just failed to pique my interest)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  19:03:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avix

I don't think that I'll ever read any of Piers Anthony's Xanth books, although I've enjoyed his Incantations of Immortality series.

I read a couple of the Xanth books in my teens, and they didn't really grab me.

I read On A Pale Horse, and though I enjoyed it, I found it somewhat preachy, and that really bugs me. I tried reading Bearing An Hourglass, but simply could not get into it.

I've not tried anything else by him.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  19:03:44  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised no one mentionned the Twilight Saga

The target reader might not be the same, but it clearly IS a fantasy novel.

Edited by - Kilvan on 25 Mar 2013 19:28:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:44:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I know there is at least one scribe here that's read those books... I won't touch them, though, nor watch the movies.

I'm not a fan of vampires, particularly the kind that are popular now. I liked Dracula, by Bram Stoker, and I think Jim Butcher has done interesting things with vampires in the Dresden Files.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2013 20:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  22:24:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, I will never read a single Twilight book.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  02:41:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like to think that, with the hype of the films set to one side [preferably, in a alternate reality], I probably would've tackled these books eventually. Now, in the post-Twilight films-era, not so much.

And, thankfully, the Lady K never really cared for the books herself, so I've never had any recommendations from her that I need to read them, nor do I have to endure having the film adaptations sitting in our DVD library.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  03:22:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I like to think that, with the hype of the films set to one side [preferably, in a alternate reality], I probably would've tackled these books eventually. Now, in the post-Twilight films-era, not so much.

And, thankfully, the Lady K never really cared for the books herself, so I've never had any recommendations from her that I need to read them, nor do I have to endure having the film adaptations sitting in our DVD library.

I know that pain. There's a movie about a time-traveling mailbox in our DVD library.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  03:41:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I know that pain. There's a movie about a time-traveling mailbox in our DVD library.

I only allowed that one a place in our library so that I could then have the opportunity to critically point out all the problems with the theory of time-travel that's used as a plot device in the film.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  04:01:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I only allowed that one a place in our library so that I could then have the opportunity to critically point out all the problems with the theory of time-travel that's used as a plot device in the film.

I didn't care about the theory; when it comes to time-travel, I'm more interested in the concept, anyway. What bugged me was that they were so accepting of it, acting like it was no big deal.

Of course, now whenever time-travel comes even close to being mentioned, I bring up the time-traveling mailbox, so I can take amusement at my wife's rather vehement responses in defense of it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Mar 2013 04:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  13:54:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've read all the four books and loved them. The media really made the series look like it's nothing more than a mushy love triangle between a hundred-year-old sparkly vampire, an innocent teenage girl, and a smexy wolf. No, there's more to it than that. There's the other members of the Cullens (Jasper, Alice, Emmet, Rosalie) whose dark pasts are quite interesting, and the members of the Volturi (Aro, Caius, Marcus, Jane, Felix, Alec, Chelsea, Demetri) whose individual backgrounds deserve their own books each. The way Meyer delves deep into the supporting characters and villains would sometimes make you wish they were the main protagonists instead.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:49:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snip...

quote:

A Song of Ice and Fire. I attempted GOT back in 05, and once again in 11, and a third time in '12. I just couldn't finish it.

DOnt worry, GRR can't finsh them either

I dont think i'll read the last three until they are all published.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000