Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms audio books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  01:00:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just got the go-ahead to announce that Audible.com will be recording many of the Forgotten Realms books. EVERMEET, my first FR audio book, will be released on 1/8/13. The Songs & Swords books are being recorded, and I exchanged several emails this week with the voice actress who's recording my short story collection, The Best of the Realms Book III.

Nifty side note: The actress may be singing "Elminster's Jest," an extended version of the ballad sung by Danilo's singing sword in Elfsong, rather than just reading it. I sent her sheet music with the melody last week, and today I got a clip of her recording. Not sure they'll be using it in the final version, but I hope they do.

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:09:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheeeeehaw!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  05:09:47  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The very best FR news I've heard in years, maybe even a decade. Cannot wait to listen to these!

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  15:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Four of mine drop on 1/8/13, the three books of The Year of Rogue Dragons and also Whisper of Venom. I hope the rest will follow in due course.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  17:17:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that's great news.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is excellent news! I hope the ballad will be sung, as it should...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  20:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go to Audible and search on "Forgotten Realms" you can see the current list of books coming out. Sounds like there will be additions every month. Jaleigh Johnson's titles popped up this week -- and I'm a big fan of her work.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  01:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know some of my books are being done, but I don't know which ones or when. Eyes peeled!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  02:02:57  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck to all you authors!

Personally, I listened to a few books when I was a truck driver, but I'd never listen to a book I wanted to read. It's just not the same.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  04:12:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess audio books are great on long road trips, but you probably miss out on much that a book has to offer going this route versus actually reading it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  11:14:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You lose some things, but if it's well produced you also gain a lot of things.

The best example of the latter, that I know of, would be the version of Ellen Kushner's novel The Privilege of the Sword made for Audible's Neil Gaiman Presents series. To reflect that the book is written partly in first person, and partly in third person, we get two readers (Ellen Kushner herself reading the first person passages, which are written from the perspective of the book's main protagonist, and Barbara Rosenblatt doing a marvellous reading of the third person pieces - with the latter being "illuminated" [to use the book's producer's term] by some scenes acted out by actors including Simon Jones [Arthur Dent in the BBC radio serial of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - and in the TV-series too], Felicia Day, and Neil Gaiman himself.)

To put it short, a good audio book is just as good a purchase as an actual novel.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  11:15:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

If you go to Audible and search on "Forgotten Realms" you can see the current list of books coming out. Sounds like there will be additions every month. Jaleigh Johnson's titles popped up this week -- and I'm a big fan of her work.

And they're also available on iTunes.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  11:24:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And while we're on the subject - if you go to podcastle.org, you can download several (non-Forgotten Realms) short stories by a number of the newer Realms luminaries such as Christopher Rowe, Samantha Henderson (my favourite short in the past three years, actually), or Tim Pratt.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  13:16:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to hear Ed Greenwood narrate some of his tales via podcast, or tell new ones. :)
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  05:53:55  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I would love to hear Ed Greenwood narrate some of his tales via podcast, or tell new ones. :)

Seconded!

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  00:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recorded a reading of the prologue of my latest book, Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, just in case anyone's looking for something to listen to right now (and for free). It offers no spoilers and happens before pretty much everything else in the series.

I've heard from audiobook readers doing some of my stuff, but haven't really been involved in the process. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:26:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I recorded a reading of the prologue of my latest book, Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, just in case anyone's looking for something to listen to right now (and for free). It offers no spoilers and happens before pretty much everything else in the series.

I've heard from audiobook readers doing some of my stuff, but haven't really been involved in the process. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers

Erik, I found your voice was very different from what I'd initially expected.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  07:33:58  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Wow If I wasn't so strapped for cash right now, I'd jump onto amazon or barnes and noble and buy your books.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 28 Dec 2012 07:34:31
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  21:09:04  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FANTASTIC NEWS!! I've always wanted to hear a FR audiobook
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:15:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just found out that THE MAGEHOUND was released this month as an audiobook. Here's a link to its page on Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/ctmhkyz
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:27:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just found out that THE MAGEHOUND was released this month as an audiobook. Here's a link to its page on Amazon.com:

Since we dont see as much of you as we would like here....

We Love You Elaine! And the realms misses you!

Councilors and Kings is always a recommendation I make when people ask me if I know a good series or book to read.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Since we dont see as much of you as we would like here....

We Love You Elaine! And the realms misses you!

Councilors and Kings is always a recommendation I make when people ask me if I know a good series or book to read.

Thanks, RW.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1622 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  21:28:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
audio books make me think of the radio theather shows they had back in the 50's. Its like transformingbliterature into Radio Theather. The Medium is the Message.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000