Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 RLB: Brotherhood of the Griffon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:55:20  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mr. Byers, I'm currently reading the latest installment of the BotG and so far it is awesome, just like the rest of the series, but I can't help but be disappointed by the fact that your Sundering book is going to revolve around new characters and TBotG are going to take a back seat for a while. I'm just wondering if it was your idea to create new characters rather than incorporate your existing ones to deal with the Sundering or if it was a decision from WotC? It just seems like all the other authors are using their signature characters as a vehicle to usher in the Summoning except for you. If you do go back to the Brotherhood after the Sundering is complete you will also presumably have to take these characters through this event anyway.

It would be amazing if you could get on a two book a year cycle like RAS and put out a Reaver related story and a Brotherhood one each year. Any word on if this might be a possibility beyond speculation?

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  03:48:28  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First off, glad you're enjoying the new book.

The reason my Sundering book is not about the Brotherhood is more or less logistical. The novel needs to revolve around certain events to portray the part of the Sundering it's supposed to cover. Prophet of the Dead doesn't leave the Brotherhood characters well positioned to show up and play an important part in those events.

For what it's worth, I think you'll like the new characters, too, and the Brotherhood will return in time.

I'm certainly willing to discuss doing two novels per year with WotC, but I don't know if that's the way things will work out. I know that my gig as a Realms author is going to continue, but at the moment, there are scheduling issues that are still up in the air.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  19:09:39  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I agree that it would have been nice to see the BotG in the Sundering books, I also like it when authors give us some fresh characters not directly related to their established comfort zone.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  19:49:54  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're not going to use the Sundering characters again, don't make them too loveable!

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  19:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not for me to judge how lovable they are, Aulduron, but they will return in further adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  21:40:00  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. As long as they come back.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

ile
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  23:12:33  Show Profile  Visit ile's Homepage Send ile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the Sundering characters,can you tell us something more Richard........like who they are and where the events will take place.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  02:30:59  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification Richard, it makes sense. I just worry that a hiatus, even from popular characters such as the Brotherhood, might turn into a situation where we never get to see more of their story or a resolution to the loose ends.

*ahem* Song and Swords characters or FINALLY getting more from Paul S Kemp`s characters.

That being said, I really hope we see them again sooner rather than later.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2013 :  13:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ile: My Sundering novel is set on and around the Sea of Fallen Stars. The protagonist is Anton Marivaldi, a notorious pirate captain. The story features a bunch of other pirates, Red Wizards, and various religious figures.

jornan: I would prefer sooner rather than later myself, but at this point it's pretty much up to WotC to decide what they want and how quickly they want it. When they do, they will need to talk to my agent, who will see how what they want fits with any other commitments I've made and any other opportunities being offered by other publishers.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1623 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  14:18:56  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, loved Prophet of the dead, and am really looking forward to The Reaving and the other Sundering novels.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  16:14:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

ile: My Sundering novel is set on and around the Sea of Fallen Stars. The protagonist is Anton Marivaldi, a notorious pirate captain. The story features a bunch of other pirates, Red Wizards, and various religious figures.

jornan: I would prefer sooner rather than later myself, but at this point it's pretty much up to WotC to decide what they want and how quickly they want it. When they do, they will need to talk to my agent, who will see how what they want fits with any other commitments I've made and any other opportunities being offered by other publishers.

Just wondering, when you say red wizards, are we talking enclave refugees or Thayan necromancers? I'd really like to see something done with those red wizard's descendants who had to flee, hopefully something that might cover what happened with the various enclaves afterward.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  16:26:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'd like to echo sleyvas’s question.

Also, Richard, can you tell us which realm the story is taking place in? Or is it mostly at seas?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1623 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  21:18:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere the hero is Turmish, and in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars hints to me alot of travel and or scenes in the book from multiple locations, like many of his Brotherhood of the Griffen Series.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Red Wizards are members of the Thayan establishment, not RWs in exile. I agree it would be interesting to write about the enclaves, and maybe I'll do that eventually, but The Reaver is not that book.

In the story, the characters are ashore fairly often. When they are, it's the southern shore.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  14:17:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Richard, for those nice tidbits.

Are the protagonists all fighters (pirates) or a ragtag team of several classes (priests, wizards, thieves, rangers . . .)?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  14:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll see types other than fighters featured in prominent and sympathetic roles.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  18:00:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Glad to hear that, Richard.

Honestly, I wasn't so thrilled when I learned that the protagonist is a pirate. But since there’ll be Red Wizards too, then I’m sold. You’re one of the very few who “get” the RWs right.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dennis. I try.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1623 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  21:30:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that cuts it down down abit. Sembia, Cormyr, Algorand are out then.

That leaves Mulhorand/High Imaskar, Unther/Tymander, Akanul, Chessenta, and of Course Turmish itself of course as possible locations. This being a region most likely to undergo some of the most radical transformation its makes sense to have a book focusing on what's going on in the region.

If several empires and cities are reappearing it means likely war and chaos for the whole region.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1623 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  21:35:34  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that cuts it down down abit. Sembia, Cormyr, Algorand are out then.

That leaves Mulhorand/High Imaskar, Unther/Tymander, Akanul, Chessenta, and of Course Turmish itself of course as possible locations. This being a region most likely to undergo some of the most radical transformation its makes sense to have a book focusing on what's going on in the region.

If several empires and cities are reappearing it means likely war and chaos for the whole region.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1623 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  21:37:53  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't mind pirates, especially if it has an interesting unconventional crew members as well as the usual arg matey types.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000