Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading Goals: 2013!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  16:46:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I thought it might be fun to see what other scribes are planning for their 2013 reading choices. What are some of your personal reading goals for 2013?

Currently mine include:
-finish Malazan Book of the Fallen series
-begin the Wheel of Time (and maybe finish)
-begin and finish the Malazan Empire series

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 13 Dec 2012 16:47:59

boweik
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  17:26:27  Show Profile Send boweik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils
-Shadowbane Trilogy
-FR Priests standalone novels

"I got first blood!" - Drizzt Do'Urden
"Last counts more." - Artemis Entreri
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  17:33:59  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read all the FR novels released in 2013.

Probably read several other older books that I didn't have access to until recently.

Also considering getting back into the Riftwar books.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  17:43:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Read all the FR novels released in 2013.

Probably read several other older books that I didn't have access to until recently.

Also considering getting back into the Riftwar books.

How many Realms books are scheduled for release in 2013?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

As far as I know, Prophet of the Dead, The Last Threshold, The Companions, and hopefully The Godborn and maybe The Adversary. Definitely three, maybe five--I don't know of any others.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  19:40:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

As far as I know, Prophet of the Dead, The Last Threshold, The Companions, and hopefully The Godborn and maybe The Adversary. Definitely three, maybe five--I don't know of any others.

Cheers

Oh wow, that's much fewer than I thought would be released. I thought WoTC was putting out 10 (give or take) new Realms novels per year.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  19:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They haven't announced their strategy. All I can say for sure is that there isn't one currently contracted from me in the hopper, and I think a lot of my fellow freelancers are in the same boat. Much of their novel publishing resources seem to be bound up in the Sundering event.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  20:56:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  20:59:38  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know that in the next year there seems to be a draught of FR novels (not particularly happy with that).

Not sure how many FR books usually get published per year, but I'd hope for at least 12.

Seeing Godborn on that list reminded me that I'll also pick up the next Egil and Nix book when its out.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  21:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My main goal is to put a dent into my stack of older Realms books. Beyond that, I will mainly be trying to get to older Fantasy and Sci Fi books that I haven't gotten around to yet. I might also attempt to read the Star Wars NJO series since I pretty well skipped over it. Other than that, anything that catches my eye and of course the 2013 Realms books.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  21:56:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also thinking about trying Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos. I'm not really a fan of reading science fiction but have heard great things about it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  01:30:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Hopefully? What's this? A bad omen that it might be pushed again to a later date?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  01:31:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.
Agreed. In fact, some of the books in my To-Read stacks have been left untouched for years.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  03:05:47  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beyond reading the Sundering novels (and the Last Threshhold), I have many older FR novels to read on my Kindle, and I think I want to dig deeper into The Harper's series. I also plan to re-read the Edda's.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  03:29:20  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually alright with there being fewer "quality" realms books published each year. There has been a few years where it seemed like they were being churned out without as much forethought into the direction of the setting, quality of writing and interest to readers.

Plus, I can have a year to bloody well catch up!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  03:40:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pretty much.

Sometimes, I'll follow a particular series if I'm way behind in it's reading... like my current bout with "A Song of Fire and Ice." I'm presently reading A Storms of Swords, Part I as part of my catch-up with the series. I'll probably move to Part II next, and then on to something else after that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  13:51:08  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any books dealing with the Rise of the UnderDark?

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  14:35:17  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To read more than I did in 2012. Anytime I come up with actual books read in a certain time frame goals. I can pretty much guarantee I won't read any of those books. And if I do read some of them, I got distracted by other things and they didn't happen in my targeted time frame. But I read twice as much in 2011 as I did in 2012, and I'd like to get back to that.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  15:36:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

To read more than I did in 2012. Anytime I come up with actual books read in a certain time frame goals. I can pretty much guarantee I won't read any of those books. And if I do read some of them, I got distracted by other things and they didn't happen in my targeted time frame. But I read twice as much in 2011 as I did in 2012, and I'd like to get back to that.

Are you on Goodreads? Great way to keep track of what you read each year.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  01:06:59  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Are you on Goodreads? Great way to keep track of what you read each year.

Yeah, but I keep forgetting to use it. I'll update it regularly for a month, then forget about it for three, etc.
Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  06:13:42  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few plans I have for 2013. I can read about 1 book every 3 days so it's somewhat feasible.
-In 2012 I decided to read the Forgotten Realms novels in the order of publication. I made it to book 1 of the Harpers (1991). I'd like to make it to 1993-1994 this year.
-Start Ravenloft, Eberron, Dark Sun and read the 6 book SpellJammer series.
-Finish Gotrek and Felix(WarHammer). I'm at book 7 now.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  15:17:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by realmsrider

There are a few plans I have for 2013. I can read about 1 book every 3 days so it's somewhat feasible.
-In 2012 I decided to read the Forgotten Realms novels in the order of publication. I made it to book 1 of the Harpers (1991). I'd like to make it to 1993-1994 this year.
-Start Ravenloft, Eberron, Dark Sun and read the 6 book SpellJammer series.
-Finish Gotrek and Felix(WarHammer). I'm at book 7 now.

No Greyhawk,Birthright, or Dragonlance books on the list??

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  15:47:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Pretty much.

Sometimes, I'll follow a particular series if I'm way behind in it's reading... like my current bout with "A Song of Fire and Ice." I'm presently reading A Storms of Swords, Part I as part of my catch-up with the series. I'll probably move to Part II next, and then on to something else after that.

Like the rest of your 1987 to read stack?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  20:37:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Pretty much.

I must admit, though, you're giving him more credit than I would have!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  22:14:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do ANY of us have a small "To Read" stack? Didn't think so.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  01:35:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Pretty much.

I'm not up to 1987 yet...

Go to Top of Page

realmsrider
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  02:01:21  Show Profile Send realmsrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

[/quote]

When I think about all the books I've missed a deep panic sets in.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  04:13:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by realmsrider

[/quote]

When I think about all the books I've missed a deep panic sets in.
[/quote]

I know the feeling. I enjoyed the Birthright books, never read any Greyhawk, and only read about 10 Dragonlance.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  12:39:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Firstly as many Star Wars books as come out.
Ditto for FR books.
Finish the Malazan Empire series. Been putting it off forever.
Finish the Riftwar saga.
Read the remaining Horus Heresy books
and of course vast and copious amounts of manga
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  08:49:57  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pretty much.

I'm not up to 1987 yet...

I chuckled. Mostly because, without exaggeration, my to read stacks still contain books that have been on the list since 1997.

Uh. Why did it turn my text blue?

Edited by - Yoss on 17 Dec 2012 08:51:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:32:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh. Why did it turn my text blue?

It's a aberration with the forum code. When inaccurate quoting methods have been utilised by a particular scribe, the coding tag doesn't properly close during the reloading of a page after a post has been made.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000