Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Thoughts on narrators...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  21:42:39  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's get some of your thoughts on audiobook narrators (FR or any other genre). I think we all might benefit from hearing what the group says given the diversity and breadth of our bookshelves/headphones.

Format:

NARRATOR
BOOK YOU HEARD HIM/HER ON
QUICK THOUGHTS

I will start:

NARRATOR: Erik Sandvold
BOOK: The Legacy (Drizzt Book #7)
QUICK THOUGHTS: Mediocre at best; limited voice differential and emotion. Drones from time-to-time.

NARRATOR: Richard Rowan
BOOK: Graphic Audio audiobooks - Demon Wars Saga (Salvatore)
QUICK THOUGHTS: Excellent range and tone. Pacing and dramatic is also top notch. Highly recommended.

NARRATOR: Jonathan Davis
BOOK: Dark Lord Trilogy (Star Wars)
QUICK THOUGHTS: Strong and emotion packed voice. Good articulation and range.

NARRATOR: Mark Thompson
BOOK: Heir to the Empire (Star Wars)
QUICK THOUGHTS: Probably one of the strongest I have heard. Deep and seemingly never ending character voice range. Pacing and dramatic is also top notch.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  00:07:22  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only listened to a handful of books on tape, but it seems to me that books with a narrative structure handle this better than others. For instance I was on a Heinlein kick a few months ago and had never read "Starship Troopers". This is an odd book from Heinlein in that it follows a narrative structure and it was probably my most enjoyable experience with one of his books, and that's saying something in and of itself since I'm such a big fan of his. After this, I tried "Stranger In A Strange Land" which I had read several years before but with much different results. It just was too hard to follow in this format always jumping from one character to another, one point of view in the story to another. It is structured alot more like most of his other books is what I'm saying. Also, please take into account that I was listening while at work so my attention was split. I would think most of you would listen to audiobooks in the car or something.
Also to your point I have no idea who the narrator was for either book, but I did listen to both from a youtube link and thought the narration itself was quite good. Proper inflection, no droning as you called it. I also listened to Ayn Rand's "Anthem" from a youtube link and it was quite dreadful in this area. Unfortunately this book is in a narrative structure, the narrator was completely monotone and simply abysmal.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  01:02:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NARRATOR: Peter MacNicol
BOOK: The Legacy (Legacy of the Drow #1)
THOUGHTS: I was intrigued that a book I like was going to be read by an actor I like. He did a decent job of differentiating character voices, but his Bruenor sounded a little too much like his Regis, for my liking. (I don't think Janos from Ghostbusters can do a Scottish accent! )

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  12:02:37  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NARRATOR: Michael Page
BOOK: Best Served Cold, The Heroes by Abercrombie
QUICK THOUGHTS: Sarcastic voice, perfect for this type of fantasy.

NARRATOR: Roy Avers
BOOK: A Storm of Swords by G.R.R. Martin
QUICK THOUGHTS: Versatile, epic, archaic style, suits characters like Sandor or Tormund.

Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2013 :  23:42:49  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NARRATOR: Michael Kramer
BOOK: Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
QUICK THOUGHTS: Very good vocal range, good for fantasy books
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000