Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading Goals: 2013!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  16:14:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

Uh. Why did it turn my text blue?

It's a aberration with the forum code. When inaccurate quoting methods have been utilised by a particular scribe, the coding tag doesn't properly close during the reloading of a page after a post has been made.

Or, in English, the number of quote tags was more than the number of /quote tags.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:18:10  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to:

- Get up to date in the Malazan series. Meaning, complete the Book of the Fallen, the first book of the Kkarkanas, and complete all 5 of the Esslemont books. I just want to be one of those people waiting for a new book. At present, I am 7 or 8 books away from that goal, depending on if I finish them before Blood and Bone gets released.
- Restart and complete the Wheel of Time
- Get up to date with the Dresden Files. Currently ready to start book 10.
- Start and complete Dune (the series)

I don't know if all of that will happen in 2013. But I WILL complete the Malazan goal in the new year.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:21:32  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

To read more than I did in 2012. Anytime I come up with actual books read in a certain time frame goals. I can pretty much guarantee I won't read any of those books. And if I do read some of them, I got distracted by other things and they didn't happen in my targeted time frame. But I read twice as much in 2011 as I did in 2012, and I'd like to get back to that.

Are you on Goodreads? Great way to keep track of what you read each year.

I have an excel sheet for that purpose. I am definitely reading less books this year than last, but considering that there are (currently) 8 Malazan books on this year's list, I'm willing to bet that I actually read more pages than last year.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:27:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

quote:

To read more than I did in 2012. Anytime I come up with actual books read in a certain time frame goals. I can pretty much guarantee I won't read any of those books. And if I do read some of them, I got distracted by other things and they didn't happen in my targeted time frame. But I read twice as much in 2011 as I did in 2012, and I'd like to get back to that.

I have an excel sheet for that purpose. I am definitely reading less books this year than last, but considering that there are (currently) 8 Malazan books on this year's list, I'm willing to bet that I actually read more pages than last year.

I tried one of those, for a year... I had a bad habit of not remembering to update it, though, so it didn't work out well.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:43:28  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried one of those, for a year... I had a bad habit of not remembering to update it, though, so it didn't work out well.

My excel sheet actually serves 2 purposes. First, it has a complete list of FR novels, as well as tracking which ones I have purchased, and which ones I have read. On the second tab, I have a list of books I read this year (so far) as well as the same list for last year, with totals for each year.

I keep the file at work, and I usually update the file first thing in the morning if I have started a new book. I'm currently 5 books behind last year, with only 2 weeks left to the year. I imagine I could get in another book or two (maybe more if I read some realms novels), but not much more.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  21:19:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like to:

- Get up to date in the Malazan series. Meaning, complete the Book of the Fallen, the first book of the Kkarkanas, and complete all 5 of the Esslemont books. I just want to be one of those people waiting for a new book. At present, I am 7 or 8 books away from that goal, depending on if I finish them before Blood and Bone gets released.
- Get up to date with the Dresden Files. Currently ready to start book 10.

I don't know if all of that will happen in 2013. But I WILL complete the Malazan goal in the new year.

Thanks for reminding me about the Dune series. It has now been officially added to my goals for 2013.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  01:33:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Uh. Why did it turn my text blue?

It's a aberration with the forum code. When inaccurate quoting methods have been utilised by a particular scribe, the coding tag doesn't properly close during the reloading of a page after a post has been made.

Or, in English, the number of quote tags was more than the number of /quote tags.

Bah! My efforts to establish SageSpeak as the lingua franca of Candlekeep has been thwarted again!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  01:34:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you read the prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  05:11:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've recently decided I need to check out Dune... I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  07:30:47  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dune is an excellent book. I highly recommend it.

Well my reading is usually decided by whim but a loose prediction will be:
* Finish the Brotherhood of the Griffon
* Godborn
* Try and stay up to date with the new FR novels coming out
* A Dance of Dragons - GRRM
* The Farewell Stone - Tad Williams
* All Sanderson's Novels
* Anubis Gate - Tim Powers
* Lots of Star Wars.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 18 Dec 2012 07:31:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  14:08:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've recently decided I need to check out Dune... I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings... Dune is one of those few "classics" you really ought to read at least once.

Even folk who don't like it have often come to appreciate just how much impact Frank Herbert has had on both the development of science fiction, and to an extent, space opera.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  22:22:09  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, I have not read anything in the Dune series. I did pick up the first book, and will work forward in the order of publication, with the Anderson books following.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  23:36:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I might as well do that. (I stopped at Book 8, having found most of the plot a rehash of the previous ones.) Failing that, I will at least sample Sanderson's contribution to the series.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  01:38:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I have not read anything in the Dune series. I did pick up the first book, and will work forward in the order of publication, with the Anderson books following.

I'm really enjoying Sisterhood of Dune at the moment. Learning about the early formative days of the Mentats has somewhat satisfied a yearning I've had since first reading about the Order in Dune.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  16:14:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm really enjoying Sisterhood of Dune at the moment. Learning about the early formative days of the Mentats has somewhat satisfied a yearning I've had since first reading about the Order in Dune.

Sisterhood of Dune is the only dune novel that I have yet to read.
Glad to hear you liked it. I ll probably pick it up soon myself.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  01:11:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Granted, the novel does focus more on the Sisterhood, but the formative stages of the Mentats is also dealt with. And I've learned they're supposedly getting their own book as part of the trilogy as well in the future.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:49:58  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reading goals 2013:

- start book 3 of the Dune series, considering that the first two books were the most influencial stuff I have ever read (together with Tolkien)
- Read anything new from Paul S. Kemp
- Finish "Brotherhood of the Griffon"
- Read "Shadowbane"
- Read "The Last Mythal" trilogy
- Read "The 5th Elephant" by Pratchett

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  08:06:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Granted, the novel does focus more on the Sisterhood, but the formative stages of the Mentats is also dealt with. And I've learned they're supposedly getting their own book as part of the trilogy as well in the future.

Really! Thats great news, I always wanted to learn more about their order and their (presumable) founder Gilbertus Albans.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  04:41:21  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

How many Realms books are scheduled for release in 2013?
As far as I know, Prophet of the Dead, The Last Threshold, The Companions, and hopefully The Godborn and maybe The Adversary. Definitely three, maybe five--I don't know of any others.

Cheers

Late to the party, but The Godborn and The Adversary release (in hardcover; paperback later) in 2013. The Adversary comes out in December 2013, and I think The Godborn is October.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  06:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good news. So by that count, we have THREE Sundering novels releasing in 2013, bringing the total FR novel count for the year up to six.

So for those of you worried about being buried under FR fiction, a slow release schedule gives you a chance to catch up, I suppose.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  17:42:57  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I might as well do that. (I stopped at Book 8, having found most of the plot a rehash of the previous ones.) Failing that, I will at least sample Sanderson's contribution to the series.

I actually stopped after finishing book 2, about 12-13 years ago. It was actually the beginning of a huge slump for me in terms of reading. I probably only read maybe 2-5 books a year for a good 5-7 years. I was in university, and just didn't have the time or drive anymore.

But now that I read like a viking these days, I'll go back and give Wheel Of Time the attention it deserves.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  17:43:55  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really have to start reading this series so I can know what the hell you guys are talking about. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  20:14:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.

I've changed my mind (see that whim thing, again? ). A lot of the stuff in my to-read list is new stuff that I've not read before. So I've decided to try to read more new stuff than re-reads, in 2013.

I also want to re-read all of the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books. We'll have to see how to balance all that out with the other goal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:27:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.

I've changed my mind (see that whim thing, again? ). A lot of the stuff in my to-read list is new stuff that I've not read before. So I've decided to try to read more new stuff than re-reads, in 2013.

I also want to re-read all of the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books. We'll have to see how to balance all that out with the other goal.

Usually, I'll be reading two books at a time -- one will be a new read, and the other a reread. This ensures that both reading stacks receive much needed attention.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  05:44:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm usually reading two or three gamebooks, plus a novel, at the same time.

Unlike some, I do enjoy re-reading novels. Some I like to re-read every year or two... The only reason I intend to limit my re-reads in 2013 is to get more new books read, and to increase the odds of reading new books I might otherwise let slide for a while... Like Ringworld, which I'm reading right now. I have my first copy of that book for years, and couldn't convince myself to read it. This copy I've had for most of a year, and I'm just now getting to it. I've got at least a couple unread books from a couple years back that I've not convinced myself to read yet, so I'm hoping this resolution will help.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  07:13:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look at my stacks of new reads, and I wonder whether I'll actually ever reach a time when I don't have such a backlog to work through...

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2012 07:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  14:00:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really have to start reading this series so I can know what the hell you guys are talking about. :)

Please do. Its a great series with a wonderfully developed world and its a must read for any fan of sci fi.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  15:32:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there's a lot of negativity heaped upon the prequel books for the original Dune series, but I'd recommend you [Clad In Shadows] ignore all that, and read the first few books for yourself. That should give you a taste of what to expect from the rest of the series.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  10:47:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I actually stopped after finishing book 2, about 12-13 years ago.
I believe Quale once mentioned things got better in Book 9. Well, it looks like I'll have to see it for myself, then.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  16:20:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really going to try to read more Realms novels in 2013. I only read 2 in 2012! Last night I built an awesome book shelf that holds All 200+ of my Realms books and seeing my collection in it's entirety really makes me want to get caught up on the remaining Realms books. Lately I have been more into the huge epic fantasy books but I think I will start to sprinkle in a Realms book (or 2) in between the Malazan/Wheel of Time books.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 31 Dec 2012 16:20:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000