Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading Goals: 2013!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  20:54:59  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2013 I want to finish reading every FR novel published to catch up to the bleeding edge of new releases.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:09:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

In 2013 I want to finish reading every FR novel published to catch up to the bleeding edge of new releases.
I tried to do that back in 2008, but with so many other awesome [and non-Realms] books coming out at the time, I just kept falling further and further behind. To the point, now, we're I'm still having to read FR books released in 2008/2009.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  21:48:49  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new personal reading goals for 2013:

What to expect when you're expecting (When the wife finishes it)

and if I have time...

Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evil
Godborn
The Herald

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  22:55:50  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I tried to do that back in 2008, but with so many other awesome [and non-Realms] books coming out at the time, I just kept falling further and further behind. To the point, now, we're I'm still having to read FR books released in 2008/2009.
I eventually had to adapt a strict "no FR, no read" policy to keep on track. But now I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have less than 30 books to go and when I finish (I expect around end of summer), it will be almost to the day 15 years after I started with my fist FR novel

Edited by - Mirtek on 02 Jan 2013 22:56:46
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  23:14:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I eventually had to adapt a strict "no FR, no read" policy to keep on track. But now I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have less than 30 books to go and when I finish (I expect around end of summer), it will be almost to the day 15 years after I started with my fist FR novel

How long has it been since you read a non-FR book??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  23:34:40  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

quote:

quote:

How long has it been since you read a non-FR book??

Luckily not 15 years or I would be even more crazy by now

I started with the FR only reading about a year ago when the end of my journey was realistically in sight and I wanted to really push forward lest WotC's pace of release once again overtakes my pace of reading.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:14:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried that too... but my urge to read the [then] latest "Dresden Files" [among many other highly anticipated non-Realms books released during this period] was just too hard to resist. One non-FR book then followed another, and before the year was out, I soon discovered that I had only read three Realms novels for the year.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:26:09  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep adding samples to my Kindle of books I see on this list that I can buy later if I like the sample. At this rate, I am never going to get caught up. :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  23:12:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

I keep adding samples to my Kindle of books I see on this list that I can buy later if I like the sample. At this rate, I am never going to get caught up. :)

That's the beauty (and curse) of these type of scrolls.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  02:48:17  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's the beauty (and curse) of these type of scrolls.

And yet, I keep coming back.

And a blessing and curse of a Kindle..I can do this and not make my husband get more book cases. We are running out of places to put them.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  09:53:03  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fantasy reading pile is almost gone, waiting for these releases in 2013

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker
Highprince of War, The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
Blood and Bone by Ian Cameron Esslemont
Magician's End by Feist
Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
River of Stars by Kay
The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding
Pathfinder Tales: Liar's Blade ...
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  10:00:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

quote:

- Restart and complete the Wheel of Time
I might as well do that. (I stopped at Book 8, having found most of the plot a rehash of the previous ones.) Failing that, I will at least sample Sanderson's contribution to the series.
I actually stopped after finishing book 2, about 12-13 years ago.
I believe Quale once mentioned things got better in Book 9. Well, it looks like I'll have to see it for myself, then.

I've heard it gets better after book 10, or 11. I stopped reading after book 4 or 5 (and those are supposedly the best).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  10:30:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I wouldn't bother with Highprince of War. Book 1 bored and annoyed me in equal measures, and I've read nothing about HoW that would redeem the series for me...

The Rithmatist almost sounds intriguing, if not for the ridiculous system of magic. Chalkings? Seriously? I know he's always trying to be original when it comes to creating his own system of magic (as evidenced by Mistborn), but I wonder if he's running out of great ideas these days. Just my opinion, of course.

quote:
Magician's End by Feist
Ah. THE MOST ANTICIPATED FANTASY RELEASE THIS YEAR.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  12:41:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch
The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker
Blood and Bone by Ian Cameron Esslemont
Magician's End by Feist
Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
River of Stars by Kay
The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding
Pathfinder Tales: Liar's Blade ...

*sigh, how many times has Republic of Thieves been pushed back? Don't get your hopes up of it actually being released this year.

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:45:49  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

- Restart and complete the Wheel of Time
I might as well do that. (I stopped at Book 8, having found most of the plot a rehash of the previous ones.) Failing that, I will at least sample Sanderson's contribution to the series.
I actually stopped after finishing book 2, about 12-13 years ago.
I believe Quale once mentioned things got better in Book 9. Well, it looks like I'll have to see it for myself, then.

I've heard it gets better after book 10, or 11. I stopped reading after book 4 or 5 (and those are supposedly the best).

I've tried to take a crack out of the WoT series but just can't seem to get drawn in past book 4. The pace is painstakingly slow at times. Lots of "big fat hairy oaf" and braid pulling tuned me out.

I'm sure it gets better, just not sure I want to invest the time when there are so many great series out there as well...like those in the FR and SW!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  14:30:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Jeremy will forgive this minor sidetrack.

We were talking abut reading/writing/typing things wrong in another thread, and just now I read this thread's title as "Reading Gnolls". First, I obviously (finally) need some glasses. Second, all the 'misreading' I've been doing lately has led to some fun ideas. When I read this one, I pictured someone on TV in a poverty-stricken area saying, "For just pennies a day you can send a gnoll-child to school..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  18:01:51  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't bother with Highprince of War. Book 1 bored and annoyed me in equal measures, and I've read nothing about HoW that would redeem the series for me...

The Rithmatist almost sounds intriguing, if not for the ridiculous system of magic. Chalkings? Seriously? I know he's always trying to be original when it comes to creating his own system of magic (as evidenced by Mistborn), but I wonder if he's running out of great ideas these days. Just my opinion, of course.

quote:
Magician's End by Feist
Ah. THE MOST ANTICIPATED FANTASY RELEASE THIS YEAR.

Book 1 was excellent to me, tough it needed some editing.

The Emperor's Soul had a stupid magic system, yet I liked it.

Magician's End I'm reading only to see how the Riftwars will finalyl end.

quote:

*sigh, how many times has Republic of Thieves been pushed back? Don't get your hopes up of it actually being released this year.
[/quote]

I think it's been pushed back too many times already, says September on Goodreads. Hope it won't be a pirate republic.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  18:58:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

We were talking abut reading/writing/typing things wrong in another thread, and just now I read this thread's title as "Reading Gnolls". First, I obviously (finally) need some glasses. Second, all the 'misreading' I've been doing lately has led to some fun ideas. When I read this one, I pictured someone on TV in a poverty-stricken area saying, "For just pennies a day you can send a gnoll-child to school..."

I can totally see it: that dude with the beard, and violins playing over images of shivering, doe-eyed puppies!

And Sally Struthers, too. She already shilled for the Ethiopian/extraterrestrial Starvin' Marvin on South Park, so why not this?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  03:31:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the third book of the Chronicles of Amber: Sign of the Unicorn.

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  23:29:35  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since a few of you mentioned Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils on your reading goals list, this seems like as good a place as any to point out that the WotC Novels Book Club and The Tome Show are reading Lesser Evils starting this week.

Wotc Novels Book Club has a forum discussion, that I participate in here: http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/go/thread/view/110769/29618351/?sdb=1&pg=last

Tome Show will discuss the first half coming up and the ending next month on their podcast.

And in the spirit of the thread: My goal is to read more novels than baby books this year! Particularly the FR novels I've been saving up and the stack I need to read or reread for research. First up: Spider and Stone.

Also, congrats Bakra. If you need baby book suggestions, I read a ridiculous number last year.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  15:03:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Sage

I'm not up to 1987 yet...
You do realize that 2013 is the first year since 1987 which doesn't have two of the same digit in it? Time to catch up on your reading, my friend.

My problem is that I have a stack (now actually several stacks) of books to read ... and a haphazard pile of books I finished reading. Read too many books every week (in parallel, since I have partially-read books at home and work and play) and you find it a bit difficult to remember exactly which details belonged to which stories.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  18:44:21  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
The Sage

I'm not up to 1987 yet...
You do realize that 2013 is the first year since 1987 which doesn't have two of the same digit in it? Time to catch up on your reading, my friend.

My problem is that I have a stack (now actually several stacks) of books to read ... and a haphazard pile of books I finished reading. Read too many books every week (in parallel, since I have partially-read books at home and work and play) and you find it a bit difficult to remember exactly which details belonged to which stories.

I literally have about 80-100 unread books on my shelf. I don't know why I keep buying them...but I do.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  22:50:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on finishing the Sword of Truth series this year. Started it a few weeks ago and am enjoying it so far.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  04:04:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.

I've changed my mind (see that whim thing, again? ). A lot of the stuff in my to-read list is new stuff that I've not read before. So I've decided to try to read more new stuff than re-reads, in 2013.

I also want to re-read all of the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books. We'll have to see how to balance all that out with the other goal.

I'm making an addition to my goal... I just realized the other day that in addition to a lot of unread novels, I've got a lot of unread manga. So I'm going to include manga as "new reads" for the purposes of my resolution.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:18:39  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson,
* Foray into Golarion.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:22:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  07:32:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson,
I tried that last year -- excluding his contributions to the "Wheel of Time" series -- and I just couldn't make it. Each of his individual books often take me a long time to read. Thus, I couldn't get through them all in just twelve months.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:34:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson

That's quite a feat. Doesn't he release 15 large books per year??

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  13:37:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson
That's quite a feat. Doesn't he release 15 large books per year??
Nah. Just four to five, and majority are YA (because as they say, that's where the money is).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  14:25:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

That's been my previous stance, and even now, I don't really have a To-Read list going on. I'm just trying to make a dent in the number of unread books I have.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000