Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading Goals: 2013!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  15:53:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

That's been my previous stance, and even now, I don't really have a To-Read list going on. I'm just trying to make a dent in the number of unread books I have.

Unread books versus "To Read" list. How are they different?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  16:03:17  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make it halfway into the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Read all of Howard's Conan works and all the omnibuses in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion saga. Additionally, I hope to read the concluding trilogy to the Eternal Champion saga, The Second Ether. For some reason it wasn't added to the EC omnibus lineup.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  18:54:53  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished The Last Threshold and now looking to start in on other FR novels. Been hearing on this board about Erevis Cale, would his books be a good choice?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  19:16:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

I just finished The Last Threshold and now looking to start in on other FR novels. Been hearing on this board about Erevis Cale, would his books be a good choice?
His self-titled trilogy, not so much. But the Twilight War trilogy (which still features him and his friends) is quite good, and it's not a requirement to read the former in order to understand the plot of the latter.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  20:57:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

quote:

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

That's been my previous stance, and even now, I don't really have a To-Read list going on. I'm just trying to make a dent in the number of unread books I have.

Right now, my To-Read list is the Dragonlance books by Weis & Hickman. I've read all of those books before, some of them multiple times, it's just been a while (2004, for many of them).

I also recently picked up Dune. I've never read it before.

That's the difference -- I enjoy rereading old favorites, and do it frequently. I reread the Harry Potter books ever 12-18 months, for example. And it's because I enjoy rereading books that I've got a lot of books I've never read before. That's what I'm working against, for 2013.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  21:06:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Make it halfway into the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Read all of Howard's Conan works and all the omnibuses in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion saga. Additionally, I hope to read the concluding trilogy to the Eternal Champion saga, The Second Ether. For some reason it wasn't added to the EC omnibus lineup.

The midway point of the Malazan books is where they REALLY start to get juicy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  21:09:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right now, my To-Read list is the Dragonlance books by Weis & Hickman. I've read all of those books before, some of them multiple times, it's just been a while (2004, for many of them).

I also recently picked up Dune. I've never read it before.

That's the difference -- I enjoy rereading old favorites, and do it frequently. I reread the Harry Potter books ever 12-18 months, for example. And it's because I enjoy rereading books that I've got a lot of books I've never read before. That's what I'm working against, for 2013.

I too enjoy re-reading books but have limited it in the past few years because there are tons of unread books that I am dying to get my hands on. I seriously wish I was one of those super speed readers as long as the comprehension remained the same. I read between 100-200 pages a day now but sometimes it still doesn't feel like it's enough.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  23:55:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I too enjoy re-reading books but have limited it in the past few years because there are tons of unread books that I am dying to get my hands on. I seriously wish I was one of those super speed readers as long as the comprehension remained the same. I read between 100-200 pages a day now but sometimes it still doesn't feel like it's enough.

I read anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as fast as most people... But I work long hours and have a toddler. My reading time is quite limited.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  01:02:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reading rate is almost entirely determined by what allotments for reading I can find in my daily routine. So that can mean anything from reading a few pages a day, to reading either half or even a whole book in one 24 hour period.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  02:44:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We're in the same boat, Sage. Work can sometimes be a pain. I once thought that being self- or family-employed would mean I'd get to have relatively more free time. But I was wrong, so wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  03:40:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gotten into the habit of taking a book to work and reading during my lunchbreak. This is in part to do something other than play on my phone, in part to get more reading time, and in part to have a use for the Bag of Holding I bought from ThinkGeek, because I otherwise wouldn't have much use for it!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  04:15:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please. I’m not so lucky. Or maybe I was, when I was an editor, for I only read manuscripts that interested me and handled authors that I liked. Now, no such luck. Our “family business,” which I’m slowly taking over, requires me to manage a bunch of people here and in twenty different countries, do tons of paper works, attend emergency meetings that these days seem to occur four to five times a week that I begin to cease to call it “emergency,” and have to watch my back (sometimes literally) when I’m outside doing a “mission” that allows me to bring only one asset (as opposed to three). That’s why I told myself that when our resources allow, I’d acquire Anvil Publishing and two minor ones, where I could work, read, and relax all at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  04:45:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please.

Well, that's only during my lunchbreak, or when I've caught an odd shift. My job used to allow a lot more free time while on the clock, but then the existing boss -- a really great guy -- left, and was replaced with another guy. And the job has become a lot more stressful since then... Plus, because he will not allow certain positions to be worked the way they should be worked, it puts more work on everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  05:44:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please.
Well, that's only during my lunchbreak, or when I've caught an odd shift. My job used to allow a lot more free time while on the clock, but then the existing boss -- a really great guy -- left, and was replaced with another guy. And the job has become a lot more stressful since then... Plus, because he will not allow certain positions to be worked the way they should be worked, it puts more work on everyone else.
I can totally sympathize with you. I have a friend whose former boss was way, way worse than yours, I think. I even helped her file a case against him in DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment). But he was smart, and he outsmarted us. He deliberately altered certain documents and used his “club friends” in DOLE to steer the case in his favor. When all things failed, as I'm wont to do (sometimes with my father's approval, depending on the gravity), I used our family connection to have their president fire him. Considering what he did to my friend, I could have had his name forever tarnished so no respectable company would hire him. But I thought of his wife and son (a little boy at that time), and thought better of it . . . So instead I just advised their president to let him “resign.” You might be wondering what the difference is. Well, if he got fired, his potential employer would verify his former employer if he really resigned or got fired. In terms of protocol, a former employer can just say something along the line of “his contract terminated on . . .” and not outright say he was fired. But many companies, especially in my friend's industry, have forgone such practice.

Remind me again how we veered to his very topic in a thread about reading?

Anyway, back to the scheduled topic . . .

Entreri:

I'm like that too. With so many unread books in my library, I try to limit re-reading my old and new favorites, but sometimes, they're like ghosts that keep whispering in my ears, “Read me, read me now.”

Edited by - Dennis on 24 Mar 2013 05:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  10:18:48  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get a good amount of downtime at work some nights, occasionally enough to make it through an entire book in a shift, as long as it's not some 800+ giant epic novel. Doing pretty well at getting back to that, as I've kind of gotten over now having the novelty of a phone to play with instead.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000