Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What AREN'T You Reading?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  15:21:28  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

DOnt worry, GRR can't finsh them either

I dont think i'll read the last three until they are all published.

There's two left, one that is expected in early 2014 (then again, we can't be sure, because he doesn't want to be asked about it). Maybe the TV show will push him to write faster, HBO wouldn't want an empty season because the last novel isn't ready.

And in Hawkins defense (not that he needs it), I found that season 2 just had too much sex scenes. I don't mind 99.9% of the time, but this was ridiculous, and often it was just fan service that contributed in no way to the plot or character developement. I just bought the blueray box set and I think episode 2 has like 5 of them, most of which were not even in the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  22:35:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:

There's two left, one that is expected in early 2014 (then again, we can't be sure, because he doesn't want to be asked about it). Maybe the TV show will push him to write faster, HBO wouldn't want an empty season because the last novel isn't ready.

And in Hawkins defense (not that he needs it), I found that season 2 just had too much sex scenes. I don't mind 99.9% of the time, but this was ridiculous, and often it was just fan service that contributed in no way to the plot or character developement. I just bought the blueray box set and I think episode 2 has like 5 of them, most of which were not even in the novel.

Wasn't Hawkins referring to the sex found in the books and not the show?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  03:39:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm surprised no one mentionned the Twilight Saga

The target reader might not be the same, but it clearly IS a fantasy novel.

I like to think that, with the hype of the films set to one side [preferably, in a alternate reality], I probably would've tackled these books eventually. Now, in the post-Twilight films-era, not so much.

And, thankfully, the Lady K never really cared for the books herself, so I've never had any recommendations from her that I need to read them, nor do I have to endure having the film adaptations sitting in our DVD library.

I know that pain. There's a movie about a time-traveling mailbox in our DVD library.

I only allowed that one a place in our library so that I could then have the opportunity to critically point out all the problems with the theory of time-travel that's used as a plot device in the film.

I didn't care about the theory; when it comes to time-travel, I'm more interested in the concept, anyway. What bugged me was that they were so accepting of it, acting like it was no big deal.

Of course, now whenever time-travel comes even close to being mentioned, I bring up the time-traveling mailbox, so I can take amusement at my wife's rather vehement responses in defense of it.

And I got her reaction again tonight, when we were looking at recorded stuff on the DVR. I saw show that mentioned time travel in the episode title, and wondered aloud if a mailbox was involved... I so delight in getting those reactions from my wife!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  05:46:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like to think that, with the hype of the films set to one side [preferably, in a alternate reality], I probably would've tackled these books eventually. Now, in the post-Twilight films-era, not so much.

And, thankfully, the Lady K never really cared for the books herself, so I've never had any recommendations from her that I need to read them, nor do I have to endure having the film adaptations sitting in our DVD library.

I know that pain. There's a movie about a time-traveling mailbox in our DVD library.

I only allowed that one a place in our library so that I could then have the opportunity to critically point out all the problems with the theory of time-travel that's used as a plot device in the film.

I didn't care about the theory; when it comes to time-travel, I'm more interested in the concept, anyway. What bugged me was that they were so accepting of it, acting like it was no big deal.
I've joked about that myself. With all the research -- both based in the real-world and in fictional sources -- I've done on time-travel, it was so hard for me to take the concept of time travel as it was used in that film, seriously.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  05:49:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course, now whenever time-travel comes even close to being mentioned, I bring up the time-traveling mailbox, so I can take amusement at my wife's rather vehement responses in defense of it.

And I got her reaction again tonight, when we were looking at recorded stuff on the DVR. I saw show that mentioned time travel in the episode title, and wondered aloud if a mailbox was involved... I so delight in getting those reactions from my wife!

I've something similar happen to me when I declare it's time for me to watch my Doctor Who recordings. The Lady K will quickly request how I can so easily accommodate all the wild time-travel theories that have been used to support that story, when I couldn't accept the theory used in the film.

I'm dedicated enough to say that I've actually sat down and scribbled notes about the differences between the concepts of time travel used in both examples. But she still can't accept it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:55:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In an interview he said he was hoping books 3 and four get like 2 or 3 seasons on screen and hopeful that book five gets 2 seasons...so that will give him 2 or three extra years, because he said he does worry about fininshing in time.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  15:57:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've something similar happen to me when I declare it's time for me to watch my Doctor Who recordings. The Lady K will quickly request how I can so easily accommodate all the wild time-travel theories that have been used to support that story, when I couldn't accept the theory used in the film.

I'm dedicated enough to say that I've actually sat down and scribbled notes about the differences between the concepts of time travel used in both examples. But she still can't accept it.

I cannot believe I read all that, my head hurts!....anyone have a time travel mail box willing to send back a note telling me to skip this post?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:48:56  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

I've read all the four books and loved them. The media really made the series look like it's nothing more than a mushy love triangle between a hundred-year-old sparkly vampire, an innocent teenage girl, and a smexy wolf. No, there's more to it than that. There's the other members of the Cullens (Jasper, Alice, Emmet, Rosalie) whose dark pasts are quite interesting, and the members of the Volturi (Aro, Caius, Marcus, Jane, Felix, Alec, Chelsea, Demetri) whose individual backgrounds deserve their own books each. The way Meyer delves deep into the supporting characters and villains would sometimes make you wish they were the main protagonists instead.

It sounds to me like Meyer just made the mistake of using a passive protagonist. I borrowed the first book from my coworker and gave it a spin. It just wasn't for me.

Terry Goodkind. The kicker is, I liked the plot and world in Wizard's First Rule. The prose seemed very repetitive, in the sense that Goodkind would recap something that had happened maybe a page or two prior to the recap.

Prophecy, by Vance Moore. We have barbarians mustering for an invasion. Barrin, a master mage from Tolaria is going to Jamuraa to meet the invading Keldons. Let's forget about that and focus on this average joe, Haddad.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  21:30:51  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to read the Malazan books but somehow I've never got around to it :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  22:48:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avix

I've always wanted to read the Malazan books but somehow I've never got around to it :)

It's never too late to start.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  22:54:12  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hit the ground running. Don't stop or you'll get left behind.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Avix
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  15:41:30  Show Profile Send Avix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:

Hit the ground running. Don't stop or you'll get left behind.

After such a recommendation I guess I've gotta catch up on my reading :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000