Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What AREN'T You Reading?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  13:07:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
I most likely will never read any of the Golarion novels; not because I don't think they are good...but because I've too little money to invest in another damnable cool world of fantasy.

You may want to make an exception for Dave Gross's novels. Queen of Thorns was one of the most entertaining fantasy adventures I've read in the last ten years. There are two previous novels about the main characters (Varian Jeggare, a half-elf arisocrat, and Radovan, his tiefling bodyguard): Prince of Wolves and Master of Demons. If you want to learn a bit about these characters for free, check out the Webfiction page on the Paizo site. There are 2 or 3 serial novella featuring The Boys. :)

Queen of Thorns was quite enjoyable, but I think I enjoyed Master of Demons more -- Dave Gross's love for kung fu flicks is obvious in that tale.

Both books are quite enjoyable, though. They rank pretty highly on the list of the best new fantasy novels I've read for the last few years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enteri: Don't let me put you off giving The Worm Ouroboros a try. Taste is an individual thing, and the book is generally considered a classic, so you may well like it just like Jorkens does.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:18:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Stephen Donaldson and Guy Gavriel Kay. While they may be good at world-building, their characters, plots, and everything else are just so boring. I miraculously managed to read 3/4 of the first Thomas Covenant book and The Summer Tree. (Just don't ask me where those books are now because they're certainly not in my library anymore.)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are alot of authors I will never read, mainly because the topics/setting holds no interest for me. They might be phenominal writers, but if the topic is not something I'd be interested in chances are I won't read it.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  17:00:54  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Wheel of Time and Dance of Dragons - I hear it's not worth the time.

Personally, I loved the Wheel of Time. The only thing I don't like about it is that there will be no more.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  17:35:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

@Ayrik: While I understand the assessment of GRRM, I'm not sure I agree. I'm not claiming all of his work is necessarily original/ground-breaking, but rather that that's ok. It is a simple fact of all writing that good writers borrow, great writers steal. And I consider it a gold start for Martin that he experiments, pushes boundaries, and brings more things to the genre rather than relying on rote tropes.

Although I do agree with you, Erik - and incidentally also commend your ambivalent/supportive professionalism - I wonder if you would remain so sanguine in response to a well-known author so closely duplicating your own written works and styles.

Having said all that, I still consider GRRM a fine author, even while disliking or being hypercritical of some of his titles. The man did ignite the first inspiration and conceptions of the much-beloved Gith races, after all.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Mar 2013 17:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  22:25:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Wheel of Time and Dance of Dragons - I hear it's not worth the time.

Did you read the first 4 books of Martin's series?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  22:28:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Enteri: Don't let me put you off giving The Worm Ouroboros a try. Taste is an individual thing, and the book is generally considered a classic, so you may well like it just like Jorkens does.

I will definitely give it a shot, and I don't approach older fantasy books like that one the same way I do for more modern books. I realize the style was much different compared to today and it might take me a while to get used to it. Titus Groan is another classic fantasy book I would like to try.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 15 Mar 2013 23:30:25
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  23:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked Titus Groan and Gormenghast a lot. I don't think Titus Alone, the third novel, is anywhere near as good, but as I recall, Mervyn Peake was quite ill when he wrote it, so I guess we should cut him slack.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  00:42:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
I most likely will never read any of the Golarion novels; not because I don't think they are good...but because I've too little money to invest in another damnable cool world of fantasy.

You may want to make an exception for Dave Gross's novels. Queen of Thorns was one of the most entertaining fantasy adventures I've read in the last ten years. There are two previous novels about the main characters (Varian Jeggare, a half-elf arisocrat, and Radovan, his tiefling bodyguard): Prince of Wolves and Master of Demons. If you want to learn a bit about these characters for free, check out the Webfiction page on the Paizo site. There are 2 or 3 serial novella featuring The Boys. :)

I'm inclined to agree. Dave Gross is one of the few authors who can sell me on any book just by having his name on the cover.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  01:32:56  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Song of Ice and Fire. I attempted GOT back in 05, and once again in 11, and a third time in '12. I just couldn't finish it.

The Wheel of Time. Not enough happens, and the world itself just doesn't grab me.

Dragonlance: I don't know if I like the straightforward designation of "Good" and "Evil"; "Neutrality" is good. I like Caramon, Tika, and Kitiara though.

Lord of the Rings: Cool concepts and excellent worldbuilding. The victory was too easily won for my tastes.

Wintermute's Magic books: He skipped too many juicy bits of worldbuilding in favor of A->B->C plot development.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  04:05:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked Titus Groan and Gormenghast a lot. I don't think Titus Alone, the third novel, is anywhere near as good, but as I recall, Mervyn Peake was quite ill when he wrote it, so I guess we should cut him slack.

Good to know. Thanks Richard!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  04:06:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Lord of the Rings: Cool concepts and excellent worldbuilding. The victory was too easily won for my tastes.

Did you read LoTR or are you basing this off of the movies?

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  06:24:44  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did read the series; it just wasn't my cup of tea.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  12:39:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm. I did try the first fifty pages or so of Titus Groan, and it just failed to grab me.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  22:25:01  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on personal experience or the author's reputation, I don't read: Donaldson, Goodkind, Eddings, Brett, Jordan, Weeks, Athans, Brooks, Jemisin, Farland, Keyes, Tad Williams, Ruckley, Fultz, Brian Herbert, Card, Rosenberg, Friedman, Novik, Aaronovitch, and most of urban fantasy (except Butcher, Gaiman, Stross...).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  22:30:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:

As much as I love Middle-Earth...I thought the victory in the novel and the movie was far too easy as well.

Throwing a ring into a mountain, fine.

Walking into a mountain and simply doing so shouldn't be so easy.

If Sauron knew the only way to destroy his ring was that mountain...well, lets just say there would be fortifications all around it with some of the most powerful soldiers I had at my disposal!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  00:17:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As much as I love Middle-Earth...I thought the victory in the novel and the movie was far too easy as well.

If Sauron knew the only way to destroy his ring was that mountain...well, lets just say there would be fortifications all around it with some of the most powerful soldiers I had at my disposal!

I thought it was a little to easy too but more so in the books. In the movies the battles of Helmsdeep and Minas Tirith felt a little more threatening and drawn out.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  00:20:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Based on personal experience or the author's reputation, I don't read: Donaldson, Goodkind, Eddings, Brett, Jordan, Weeks, Athans, Brooks, Jemisin, Farland, Keyes, Tad Williams, Ruckley, Fultz, Brian Herbert, Card, Rosenberg, Friedman, Novik, Aaronovitch, and most of urban fantasy (except Butcher, Gaiman, Stross...).

Ohh I couldn't finish NK Jemisin's first book of her trilogy. I thought it (the 150 pages I struggled through) was an awful debut fantasy novel.

Go to Top of Page

artificial_sunlight
Acolyte

Netherlands
14 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  08:13:30  Show Profile Send artificial_sunlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord of the Rings, I was stuck in some forest. When the 26 root of the 6383562 tree looked realy evil I put the book away. I liked the Hobbit so Tolkien can write :)
I also liked the movies.

Dutch FR Story Collector
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  11:07:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well he kind of did that already. Mount doom was in the heart of his kingdom which was all extremely well fortified. Plus it was an Active volcano, how would even the toughest of orcs or trolls survive in that environment. Finally you have to remember that he never for once thought that anyone would actually destroy his ring and for good reason as the rings corruptive power was legendary.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  12:15:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You like Sanderson, right? Well, his style, worlds, and characters share some similarities with those of Weeks and Brett. So you can at least give their first books a try.

And Friedman as in C.S Friedman? Weren't you the one who said in the sealed “What are you reading? 2011” thread that you liked The Coldfire trilogy? Some of her characters can be annoying as hell, I grant you that, especially the females, but her world is quite interesting; and she rarely ran out of surprises in every book.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  13:22:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well he kind of did that already. Mount doom was in the heart of his kingdom which was all extremely well fortified. Plus it was an Active volcano, how would even the toughest of orcs or trolls survive in that environment. Finally you have to remember that he never for once thought that anyone would actually destroy his ring and for good reason as the rings corruptive power was legendary.

Indeed. And if it hadn't been for the guidance of Gollum, Frodo and Samwise would have never found a way in -- every way in was well-guarded, except the way Gollum had found, and it was barely big enough to be a footpath.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  14:17:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

You like Sanderson, right? Well, his style, worlds, and characters share some similarities with those of Weeks and Brett. So you can at least give their first books a try.

Based on The Night Angel, half of Dark Prism, and The Painted Man, I agree they share similarities, interesting magic systems. But unlike Sanderson, not much else to enjoy, no characters, no mystery or philosophy, or fun situations.

quote:
And Friedman as in C.S Friedman? Weren't you the one who said in the sealed “What are you reading? 2011” thread that you liked The Coldfire trilogy?

Somebody else
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  15:46:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Based on The Night Angel, half of Dark Prism, and The Painted Man, I agree they share similarities, interesting magic systems. But unlike Sanderson, not much else to enjoy, no characters, no mystery or philosophy, or fun situations.
Hmm. I haven't yet read Black Prism, but The Night Angel was full of fun situations. I can say the same to The Warded Man (originally called The Painted Man). Though they slightly pale in comparison to Sanderson's Mistborn.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:14:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm. I haven't yet read Black Prism, but The Night Angel was full of fun situations. I can say the same to The Warded Man (originally called The Painted Man). Though they slightly pale in comparison to Sanderson's Mistborn.

Amen to the "fun situations." The whole "Hell's %$#hole" portion of the Night Angel trilogy was awesome.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  15:49:15  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fantasy novels that have werewolves, there is no such thing

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  16:39:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack, Titus Groan was a difficult read for me, too. The flow of olde Mervyn's writing kept on pushing me backstream instead of moving the story along. Ploddingly hyperattentive overcharacterization (with basically unbelievable characters), IMHO, I'm not necessarily an "all action" keep-the-plot-moving blow-stuff-up kinda guy, but c'mon ... there are limits to how far one will endure the torture of bad entertainment.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  16:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fully understand what you're saying, Ayrik. I've had the same reaction to many another book. But when I read Peake as a teenager (haven't reread him since), the books worked for me. The humor, inventiveness, and use of humor and the grotesque made up for the leisurely pace, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  18:24:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

fantasy novels that have werewolves, there is no such thing

Let me get this straight... You'll read books about things that don't exist in the real world, like elves, dragons, magic, flying cities, etc, but you draw the line at werewolves, because they also don't exist in the real world?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Mar 2013 18:25:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000