Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What AREN'T You Reading?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  23:36:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There are many popular fantasy authors out there, most with their own unique style. I thought it would be interesting to share which fantasy authors you will probably never read. Feel free to share your reason(s) why.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  23:38:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One for me would be Piers Anthony. Not really sure why. I guess the Xanth world just never appealed to me.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  23:55:02  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He never did it for me, either. I'm also having trouble with Plague of Spells. I have tried to start it probably 3 or 4 times... I just can't get into it. I don't know why. So I probably won't read that series.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4435 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  00:14:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tolkien, i find his writing is meandering and too descriptive of stuff I could care less about.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  00:27:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Tolkien, i find his writing is meandering and too descriptive of stuff I could care less about.

Which book of Tolkien's did you try to read and how far did you get?

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  00:33:41  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the Piers Anthony comment.

A few others I've thought about but am not sure as to whether or not I'd have the time or the interest - Pratchett (Discworld), Farland (Runelords) and Eddings (Malareon?).

Welcome anyone's thoughts!

Ps - great twist on the topic!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:33:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really think I can answer this with any affirmative degree of certainty, as there aren't usually any authors whose works I won't read at least once.

I need to develop a taste for a particular author's style, before I determine whether or not I'll read any further works by them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:52:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

A few others I've thought about but am not sure as to whether or not I'd have the time or the interest - Pratchett (Discworld), Farland (Runelords) and Eddings (Malareon?).

I too haven't read any Pratchett and probably won't. Satiric fantasy, if that's the sub-genre he writes in, doesn't appeal to me.

I have not read any Eddings to date, but do plan on trying his Belgariad series this year.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 14 Mar 2013 02:53:59
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  03:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil Athans, because I read the novelization of Baldur's Gate, and found it abysmal. And since I am not lacking in novels that I know I want to read, I have not felt compelled to read any of his later works to see if he got any better. George R. R. Martin, because I hear that there is a lot of sexual content in his novels. Robert Jordan because while he is a n amazing world-builder, he totally lost track of his own plot in book 8 and 10 (I do intend to finish the series starting up where Sanderson picked it up at some point when I find time). Most scifi authors because I prefer fantasy (Star Wars falls under fantasy in my categorization). Though I don't know why, I too have never felt the desire to read Piers Anthony.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  04:40:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I try hard not to disparage my contemporaries' work. But since he's been gone for quite a while, I guess it will do no harm to admit that I wasn't able to make it through E. R. Eddison's alleged classic The Worm Ouroboros. Fairly early in the novel, which I was not enjoying up to that point anyway, there's a description of a bed that goes on for four pages in the edition I was reading. I hit that and said, "I'm done."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  04:40:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the authors I won't read are those that I have read before, but found myself disliking.

I read a couple of David Drake books, for example, and didn't care for them enough to be interested in more.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  10:04:09  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

Thirded.

Also same with Pratchett. So many books, such a lack of interest.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  11:51:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont read any books by Teery Brooks. I tried to read one but it just failed to grip me, this was especially disappointing considering all the hype about him.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  15:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I dont read any books by Teery Brooks. I tried to read one but it just failed to grip me, this was especially disappointing considering all the hype about him.
IMO, Terry Brooks is one of those that has gotten better over time. I actually own and love his entire Shannara series, but some are an easier read than others. If you ever decide that you want to give him another try (not that you need to), I would suggest starting with either Elfstones of Shannara or Wishsong of Shannara. However, I loathed the couple of books of his Magic Kingdom of Landover series that I read.

Another for my list is Ted Dekker. I was given some of his novels by a family member who knew I enjoyed Stephen R. Lawhead's writing (a renowned Christian medieval historical ficton/fantasy author), but I absolutely could not stand Dekker's writing.

And Stephen R. Donaldson, while an amazing writer, his Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever and Mordant's Need series had such a depressing note that I can't go back and read more of his writing (for some people depressing works are cathartic, they cause me to go into a depressed funk). This actually makes me sad (but not depressed) since he finished out the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series with a third trilogy.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  16:20:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword of Shannara was a fine read, at least back when I was actually a "young reader" ... long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. All the other Shannara books I've partially read are, IMHO, nothing but bestseller pulpjunk I think can fare much better without. Just another too-famous author who should've contentedly constrained himself as a one-hit-wonder.

@Hawkins ... the impression I gained from reading GRRM's more recent works is not that they're overly sexual as much as they're basically other-genre experiments which rather shamelessly emulate other authors. A book like Fevre Dream might as well just have Anne Rice's name on the cover.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Mar 2013 16:23:02
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  17:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't Fevre Dream come out before Anne Rice was a big deal?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  17:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Hawkins: There is indeed sexual content in Martin's books, as there is in most fantasy--it's just that his books have it more "on-stage" than others do. It's still quite muted (with fade to black being generally the rule), though much discussed by the characters, simply because sex and erotic desire is as powerful a force in that world as it is in our own. I think you probably have no need to be concerned, but obviously if you read something that makes you uncomfortable, don't read more of it.

@Ayrik: While I understand the assessment of GRRM, I'm not sure I agree. I'm not claiming all of his work is necessarily original/ground-breaking, but rather that that's ok. It is a simple fact of all writing that good writers borrow, great writers steal. And I consider it a gold start for Martin that he experiments, pushes boundaries, and brings more things to the genre rather than relying on rote tropes.

As for the OP, I plead the fifth. We all have our own tastes and prejudices.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  18:07:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Sword of Shannara was a fine read, at least back when I was actually a "young reader" ... long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. All the other Shannara books I've partially read are, IMHO, nothing but bestseller pulpjunk I think can fare much better without. Just another too-famous author who should've contentedly constrained himself as a one-hit-wonder.

I liked Sword of Shannara when I first read it, though even then, at 13 or 14, it bugged me that all of the characters managed to jump to exactly the wrong conclusion after hearing the shade of Bremen's prophecy.

Later, though, I read The Lord of the Rings, and realized that Sword of Shannara is basically the same tale with the serial numbers filed off.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

@Hawkins ... the impression I gained from reading GRRM's more recent works is not that they're overly sexual as much as they're basically other-genre experiments which rather shamelessly emulate other authors. A book like Fevre Dream might as well just have Anne Rice's name on the cover.

All I've read by Martin is A Song of Ice and Fire, and while those books do contain a fair amount of sex, there is a lot more politics, warfare, and murder going on in those books. Particularly the latter, and especially to characters I like.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Mar 2013 18:28:50
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  20:24:32  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never could make it through Piers Anthony or Ann McAffrey.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  21:04:20  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@Hawkins: There is indeed sexual content in Martin's books, as there is in most fantasy--it's just that his books have it more "on-stage" than others do. It's still quite muted (with fade to black being generally the rule), though much discussed by the characters, simply because sex and erotic desire is as powerful a force in that world as it is in our own. I think you probably have no need to be concerned, but obviously if you read something that makes you uncomfortable, don't read more of it.

@Ayrik: While I understand the assessment of GRRM, I'm not sure I agree. I'm not claiming all of his work is necessarily original/ground-breaking, but rather that that's ok. It is a simple fact of all writing that good writers borrow, great writers steal. And I consider it a gold start for Martin that he experiments, pushes boundaries, and brings more things to the genre rather than relying on rote tropes.

As for the OP, I plead the fifth. We all have our own tastes and prejudices.

Cheers

GRRM is very reminicent of the Memory, sorrow and Thorn novels of Tad Williams. Lots of foreshadowing, methaphors and omens - with red comets and all. GRRM does a very good job of making it's own though.

There are loads of authors I steer clear off. I'll name them as I remember them. Two that comes to mind at the moment are Stephen R. Donaldson and Terry Goodkind.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  00:17:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I try hard not to disparage my contemporaries' work. But since he's been gone for quite a while, I guess it will do no harm to admit that I wasn't able to make it through E. R. Eddison's alleged classic The Worm Ouroboros. Fairly early in the novel, which I was not enjoying up to that point anyway, there's a description of a bed that goes on for four pages in the edition I was reading. I hit that and said, "I'm done."

Wow! This is on my "To Read" list and I am now wondering if I will enjoy it at all.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  00:20:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I will second Ann McAffrey!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  01:17:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fevre Dream was released around 1982, as I recall. The Rice Phenomena really didn't "hit it big" until about the 1990's.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  02:38:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Fevre Dream was released around 1982, as I recall. The Rice Phenomena really didn't "hit it big" until about the 1990's.

Interview With the Vampire was published in the late 70's.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  03:07:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't read Eragon or those after it...ever.

I also found the early works of Terry Brooks an almost complete rip-off of Middle-Earth...I haven't read anything of that since.

As much as I love Dragonlance, I've found it very hard (though not impossible) to read anything after Dragon's of Summer Flame because I was just so very angry.

I most likely will never read any of the Golarion novels; not because I don't think they are good...but because I've too little money to invest in another damnable cool world of fantasy.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  04:08:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Interview With the Vampire was published in the late 70's.

Yes. But I think that, in terms of her popularity, which is what I suspect Richard was asking when he said "before Anne Rice was a big deal," he meant when her works were really gaining hype in popular culture.

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  08:15:25  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I will second Ann McAffrey!

Although I have really tried (two books were a struggle)...thirded.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  10:12:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow! This is on my "To Read" list and I am now wondering if I will enjoy it at all.

I personally love it (among my all time favourites in the genre)and recommend it if you like older literature with a strong decadent poetic tone. If realism and character development (a term I actually have started to dislike)is your thing, you will most likely be bored to death. Its probably the only book mentioned here I actually like.

As to who I am not reading? More or less no one living except for Vance and Tim Powers. edit: I managed to forget Moorcock of course, but I don't think I have read any of the novels he has written in the last thirty years.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.

Edited by - Jorkens on 15 Mar 2013 12:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  11:22:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheel of Time and Dance of Dragons - I hear it's not worth the time.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  12:26:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
I most likely will never read any of the Golarion novels; not because I don't think they are good...but because I've too little money to invest in another damnable cool world of fantasy.

You may want to make an exception for Dave Gross's novels. Queen of Thorns was one of the most entertaining fantasy adventures I've read in the last ten years. There are two previous novels about the main characters (Varian Jeggare, a half-elf arisocrat, and Radovan, his tiefling bodyguard): Prince of Wolves and Master of Demons. If you want to learn a bit about these characters for free, check out the Webfiction page on the Paizo site. There are 2 or 3 serial novella featuring The Boys. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  12:49:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

You may want to make an exception for Dave Gross's novels. Queen of Thorns was one of the most entertaining fantasy adventures I've read in the last ten years. There are two previous novels about the main characters (Varian Jeggare, a half-elf arisocrat, and Radovan, his tiefling bodyguard): Prince of Wolves and Master of Demons. If you want to learn a bit about these characters for free, check out the Webfiction page on the Paizo site. There are 2 or 3 serial novella featuring The Boys. :)

SEE! Elaine is trying to lure me in! Its a conspiracy!

Actually, I'm sure all the books are awesome...budget willing, I'll probably get drawn in!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000