Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Will D20 and the OGL survive?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With all of the concern over Wizars and how they are (allegedly) going to mangle the FR, I want to know: will the D20 system and the OGL survive? If so, bug*er Wizards -- I'll just buy my game stuff from White Wolf, Mongoose, Green Ronin, Chaosium, et al.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  21:38:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to think it will. It was a brilliant marketing maneuver for WotC to have done that in the first place. It expanded the base of potential gamers by providing a game system that anyone could tweak for their own setting, and since that game system was shared with D&D, it meant these new gamers could be more readily converted to D&D.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  22:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see where you're coming from, and I agree with your concern. I don't think, however, that D20 or the OGL are going anywhere anytime soon. Too many companies have invested too much time and money into them to abandon them this early. Besides, as I see it, there's still a huge market for D20 material. I'm certainly not going to buy 4E, and neither are any of my friends.

We wouldn't buy that crap if you paid us.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  23:41:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the OGL can't be revoked, so that exists in perpetuity. You may not be able to use the d20 logo, but the OGL itself will stand from here on. This is why WOTC is actually in a way competing with their own game system. If 4th edition doesn't go over, people do have the option to fall back on OGL products, and companies can even put out their own OGL games based on 3.5 if 4th edition proves unpopular (this is why a lot of people were expending more of a 3.75 version of the game or more of a revision than a full fledged new edition, and probably why the designers are so set on telling us how bad 3.5 is now).

As far as a new OGL goes, we know that they do want to license the 4th edition system to third party publishers. They had a meeting at Gen Con with Paizo, Necromancer and several others to talk about this, and Necromancer has already said they will produce 4th edition products, but the crux of all of this is that they haven't said if 4th edition licensing will be an OGL, or a cheap but limited license cost that can be revoked, or if there will be an available SRD, etc.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:58:22  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard over at EN World sometime that 4e will have an OGL and some form of SRD, though it isn't clear what form it will take. The bigger question is licensing for publishers.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  17:07:06  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
d20 is never going anywhere. the first D&D recorded was in 1928(to my knowledge) played by a bunch of boy scouts. there is no way Wizards can screw it up that bad

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  18:24:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

the first D&D recorded was in 1928(to my knowledge) played by a bunch of boy scouts.

That's a neat trick, since D&D wasn't published until 1974.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  21:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy Scouts are clearly prepared for anything. Including Time Travel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  22:35:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Maybe they had a copy of the Junior Woodchucks Guidebook. That book had so much other information, it surely covered time travel!

I wonder if there is a merit badge for time travel?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Oct 2007 22:39:08
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  23:39:10  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder if there is a merit badge for time travel?

There will be, therefore there already is!
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  04:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined the scouts when I was a kid because I wanted to make little wooden racing cars and carry a pocket knife, but I quit about a week later when I realized I had to memorize a bunch of oaths. Although in hindsight, I probably would have stuck around had I known we'd be allowed to pretend we're wizards and slay dragons out in the woods with D20's.

But maybe not. I don't think I was into wizards when I was a kid. At the time, I can remember my big thing was pretending to be Gambit from X-Men. Although, in my defense, Gambit is a badass.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  21:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

d20 is never going anywhere. the first D&D recorded was in 1928(to my knowledge) played by a bunch of boy scouts.
If this is serious, could you provide a citation of some kind?

The roots of RPGs -- improvised theatre/ritual/storytelling and kriegspiel -- go back into prehistory.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Oct 2007 21:07:59
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  18:36:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

With all of the concern over Wizars and how they are (allegedly) going to mangle the FR, I want to know: will the D20 system and the OGL survive? If so, bug*er Wizards -- I'll just buy my game stuff from White Wolf, Mongoose, Green Ronin, Chaosium, et al.

If I understood the Green Ronin podcast with Erik Mona that was linked to at www.paizo.com, then yes on both counts. And there will also be a continuation of sorts of them into 4th edition (with a new D20 logo since the current one is apparently "tainted").

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 04 Oct 2007 18:39:25
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  00:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks to those of you who have provided well-informed replies.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  05:45:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, Erik Mona has said on Paizo's boards that if 4th edition doesn't live up to Paizo's expectations, they have no problem with developing their own "3.75" edition to support their Pathfinder line. This will only be something they would consider if 4th edition really disappoints them.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  17:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:

d20 is never going anywhere. the first D&D recorded was in 1928(to my knowledge) played by a bunch of boy scouts.
If this is serious, could you provide a citation of some kind?

The roots of RPGs -- improvised theatre/ritual/storytelling and kriegspiel -- go back into prehistory.

I don't have the link anymore but these boy scouts, they even drew their own map

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

the first D&D recorded was in 1928(to my knowledge) played by a bunch of boy scouts.

it wasn't called Dungeons &dragons, but it had a stat boook, character sheets, the works. you didn't seriously beleive they came up with this stuff on their own, did you?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:02:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I will have to have some confirmation of that one before I believe it Aravine. I have heard that said before, but I have never seen anything put forward to back it up. Until then it will be Gygax' creation.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:03:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...I'm not sure what to say.

At first I was going to say perhaps the 1928 was a typo and he meant 1978 (still a mistake)...but now...

Anyway, I'm really hoping the d20 OGL stays the way it is. I had plans to publish a d20 setting of my own next year, but getting wind of 4e had me change my mind. I don't want to publish anything that will then need to be reconditioned to fit a new rules set. I have to admit that Ed Greenwood has been more of an inspiration for the world I'm creating than any "traditional" folks like Tolkien. I can't wait to publish it, but now I have a lot of reworking to do and I can't even start THAT until the new edition comes out.

So to say I like that a new edition is coming out is a two-edged blade for me: I like the idea, but it is putting a hurting on my wallet!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  19:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

it wasn't called Dungeons &dragons, but it had a stat boook, character sheets, the works. you didn't seriously beleive they came up with this stuff on their own, did you?

I never said they did. It's a known fact that they started by modifying the rules for Chain Mail. But it's also known that this was in the early 70's.

Lots of RPGs have stat books and character sheets. That doesn't make them D&D. And you specifically stated that D&D was being played in 1928. If a game doesn't exist, it can't be played. Being rude about it won't change that.

And, as stated by others, you really need to provide some proof before making claims like that. Nothing I've seen indicates the existence of any RPGs in 1928.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  19:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

Anyway, I'm really hoping the d20 OGL stays the way it is. I had plans to publish a d20 setting of my own next year, but getting wind of 4e had me change my mind. I don't want to publish anything that will then need to be reconditioned to fit a new rules set. I have to admit that Ed Greenwood has been more of an inspiration for the world I'm creating than any "traditional" folks like Tolkien. I can't wait to publish it, but now I have a lot of reworking to do and I can't even start THAT until the new edition comes out.

So to say I like that a new edition is coming out is a two-edged blade for me: I like the idea, but it is putting a hurting on my wallet!

I know how you feel, I had around 20 base classes that I created and was going to design a website to publish one a month for a $1 each. Then 4e was announced. Grr...I still feel that they should have waited at least another 2 years. Anyways, here is a link to what Enworld has about what WotC has said about the OGL and SRD: <http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e#ogl>.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 18 Oct 2007 19:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  21:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said they did. It's a known fact that they started by modifying the rules for Chain Mail. But it's also known that this was in the early 70's.

Lots of RPGs have stat books and character sheets. That doesn't make them D&D. And you specifically stated that D&D was being played in 1928. If a game doesn't exist, it can't be played. Being rude about it won't change that.

And, as stated by others, you really need to provide some proof before making claims like that. Nothing I've seen indicates the existence of any RPGs in 1928.

Indeed. something can be from the same pattern of thought without being exactly the same. let me Rephrase my initial reply. the first faceimily to D&D ever recorded to my knowledge was played by boy scouts in 1928. in any case the point really isn't about what boy scouts did. the statement was used as reinforcement that D&D will not die, even if they tottally screw this up.

Edited by - Aravine on 19 Oct 2007 17:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  21:31:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. something can be from the same pattern of thought without being exactly the same. let me Rephrase my initial reply. the first faceimily to D&D ever recorded to my knowledge was played by boy scouts in 1928. in any case the point really isn't about what boy scouts did. the statement was used as reinforcement that the d20 system will not die, even if they tottally screw this up.

It would still be good to have a reference cited...

And D&D and D20 are not the same thing. D&D was around long before they shifted to D20. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm just saying that one is not the other -- so the survivability of one does not indicate that the other will remain.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  17:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concede. (Therefore I have changed my post).

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  00:33:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

I know how you feel, I had around 20 base classes that I created and was going to design a website to publish one a month for a $1 each. Then 4e was announced. Grr...I still feel that they should have waited at least another 2 years. Anyways, here is a link to what Enworld has about what WotC has said about the OGL and SRD: <http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e#ogl>.

That pretty much is what I had been told...glad to see it a little more concrete...but things can always change.

If for some reason it will cost me something to print my setting in 4e, then most likely I will simply go ahead with its 3.5 version and market on the "love folks have for the "old" system and hatred for this new monster that is 4e..." or some such.

Which would be funny since I'm looking forward to playing 4e, just don't want it to hurt my finances! LOL

Still a waiting game for me either way...I won't be one of the few who can work on 4e materials yet.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  00:44:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling most companies will go full fledge 4E when it comes out. Wizards has pushed back to books for a reason and I bet anything that it has to do with needing more fine tuning.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  16:39:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's recent news over on ENworld, and a thread about it, with info from the WOTC brand manager saying that the OGL will still be around in 4e.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3876623#post3876623

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  20:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There's recent news over on ENworld, and a thread about it, with info from the WOTC brand manager saying that the OGL will still be around in 4e.

It seems to me that there is still quite a bit of uncertainty -- as in the post which said that the thread screamed "dicuss me" and the one which predicted that Wizards would let D20 "die a quiet death." Oh well, as someone else said, the (1.0a) Open Gaming License still exists. I hope that my fears will wind up as nothing more than cloud in a coffee cup.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  21:41:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It seems to me that there is still quite a bit of uncertainty -- as in the post which said that the thread screamed "dicuss me" and the one which predicted that Wizards would let D20 "die a quiet death." Oh well, as someone else said, the (1.0a) Open Gaming License still exists. I hope that my fears will wind up as nothing more than cloud in a coffee cup.

Fails to see how it's uncertain. Scott, the WOTC brand manager, said clearly that the OGL will exist in 4e. How is that uncertain?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Nov 2007 21:46:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:09:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, this is good news. I'm hoping this also means Midnight will continue into 4e. I hope it does because... well, I can't say why at the moment, but I'm hoping it's something I'll be able to share with you all very shortly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  06:09:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Kosh said, "And so it begins..."

Goodman Games have published Dungeon Crawl Classics #53: Sellswords of Punjar without the OGL. Kenzer & Company and other companies are planning their own releases, not waiting for the OGL stamp of approval.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000