Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Pathfinder: Classic Monsters Revisited
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  00:34:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just received my copy of "Classic Monsters Revisited" from Paizo...

All I have to say is: incredible!

This book is simply marvelous! all scribes here would benefit from owning it, and it is directly portable in the Realms. This book provides goblin songs, poems, recipes, etc! It cover orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, ogres, bugbears and kobolds (I may be forgetting a few, but you get the idea: it has everything on the "classic D&D baddies")

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  01:32:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Trolls, Minotaurs, and Lizardfolk.

-I like how Ogres are inbred humans in a deliverince sorta way!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  02:29:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also looking forward to getting this one - I've heard nothing but great reviews.

Its like old-school FR, when the lore was more prominent then the mechanics, and attention to detail ruled the day.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  19:02:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like that with ogres, but yea it's nice, find it much more useful than 4e MM
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  19:45:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always pictured Ogres as being Hill Giant/Human Crossbreeds, but that sounds painful and makes little sense (especially since I picture Hill Giants as Mountain Giant/Ogre crossbreeds).

Anyhow, I think that works for Golarion, but I don't think that would work elsewhere - ogres have been Goblinoids, Giants, and their own, seperate race depending on what editon and world you play, so I Guess this just adds to their 'mystery'.

One of those races that always evolve on a world, but in a different way each time. Both cool and weird.

Hmmm... maybe Hill Giant/Half-Orc Crossbreeds - they do look like huge Half-Orcs.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  16:47:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always pictured them with fey/hag/giant origin
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  18:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I like how Ogres are inbred humans in a deliverince sorta way!

BRIMSTONE

I thought the deal with ogres was nice too, though my own take would be "overgrown examples of the stupid, sadistic kids I remember from school."

For some reason it's just scarier that way.

And good work on why bugbears like killing people: the smell of human fear acts on them like an endorphin. So your fear = their pleasure!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Classic Monster revisited was the first of the Pathfinder Chronicles arriving at the beginning of last week. I have started to read it, and I am impressed. The bugbear is detailed as the classic "monster in the closet"/"monster under your child's bed". Despite its bulk it is sneaky, and it likes to slowly increase the horror of its victim: first a sound its prey dismisses as the wind or something like that. Then a window left open, but not by the victim, and slowly he understands that there is something out there lurking ...

The bugbear savors the stench of fear emanating from its prey, and if the hunt proves to be most satisfying, it may take an ear as remembrance of a fulfilling night.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000