Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Will D20 and the OGL survive?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  08:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am confused. Did you mean: They have published their adventure without the GSL? Meaning: They produce an adventure using neither the OGL nor the GSL, making it compatible with 4e without naming it "4.e" or "D&D"?

Edit: Punctuation corrected.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 09 Sep 2008 12:08:31
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  11:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering this myself.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  11:58:39  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah, this is good news. I'm hoping this also means Midnight will continue into 4e. I hope it does because... well, I can't say why at the moment, but I'm hoping it's something I'll be able to share with you all very shortly.

I'll send you pre-emptive congratulations!

Even more so because Midnight is such a wonderful and evocative setting. I wish I could run or play more of it.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  13:37:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes... Sorry. Forgot that they changed it from OGL to GSL when I typed this up last night. They are publishing it as being for 4th Edition rules but without the D&D brand.

I actually first caught wind of this over on the WotC boards (Here). Apparently the legal issues are such that you can't copyright game "rules" per se, only items unique to that game. IOW, Wasbro can't copyright the d20 system, but they can copyright Illithids. So, third party publishers are actually free to publish away, with or without the brand. The brand is essentially a marketing tool to show the support between the two companies.

To get your head around the copyright, think of the game Monopoly. There's only one Monopoly, but there are a bunch of '-opoly' (Marvelopoly, Simpsonsopoly, etc) that are out there not published by Parker Bros, but using the same rules. They just can't use the same streets or things like 'Community Chest'.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  14:36:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

Even more so because Midnight is such a wonderful and evocative setting. I wish I could run or play more of it.
Fortunately, I've got a pretty active RAVENLOFT group, so switching the campaign to the MIDNIGHT setting hasn't been all that difficult.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  14:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the GSL is backfiring. Instead of signing, third party publishers ignore it and publish right away, and WotC has no control over the product.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  15:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this mean then that WotC is losing money??

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  15:49:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC never received any compensation for the OGL/GSL. The only benefit to the OGL was to the third party publishers to show they they were officially compatible. Much like when you buy software that says it's Windows/PC compatible.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  16:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

WotC never received any compensation for the OGL/GSL. The only benefit to the OGL was to the third party publishers to show they they were officially compatible. Much like when you buy software that says it's Windows/PC compatible.

Ah ok, now I understand better Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  08:00:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah, this is good news. I'm hoping this also means Midnight will continue into 4e. I hope it does because... well, I can't say why at the moment, but I'm hoping it's something I'll be able to share with you all very shortly.

So... Sage, is this something you can elaborate on at this point?

I know that Green Ronin opted out of the new GSL, and that Mongoose stuck around. Either way, I haven't heard about Fantasy Flight (the publishers of Midnight, I believe). Does anybody else know what their status is? Of course, the 4E Realms is just one step away from being a Midnight clone, and half a step in another direction away from being an Eberron clone. If they'd done the Spellplague correctly according to previously-established lore regarding Mystra and the Weave as I understand it, the Realms would be the world of Midnight, except that instead of evil everywhere, it would be a case of magic nowhere... which is more or less the same thing, imho. [/rant]

Back on topic: What about White Wolf and AEG? Are they going to sign on to the GSL, or does anyone know yet?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  08:24:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, FFG are still working out the finer points of the GSL and how it relates to their products.

In terms of what I said about the Midnight stuff, well... I've heard a couple of things about what their plans are for the rest of '08. But it's mostly all out-of-date info now, since some of the things I was told earlier on, haven't happened. And we've only got about three months left for this year, and I've not heard anything new.

So, at the moment, no, I can't elaborate more on that at the moment. Sorry Jakk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000