Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 IMPORTANT: New Candlekeep Site appears!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  15:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well Met

It has been brought to my attention of a new site to appear under the same name as our beloved library. This was announced on the WotC forum and rapidly reported back by a fellow scribe to me.

I thought it best to speak out and state that Candlekeep, this Candlekeep, has no involvement with the new "Candlekeep.co.uk".

Edited by - Alaundo on 21 May 2003 07:53:45

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
WHAT? A copy? A cheap imitation? How dare they!

Sadon, as I recall, your favored enemies are doppelgangers, right? Sic 'em!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  16:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Hmmmm well the logo font and a few other bits look a bit familiar! The cheek of it! This guy could have chosen something else! Its an insult

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  22:22:20  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message
This site isn't even close from OUR candlekeep. It's not even an imitation it's a plagia from the FR books!
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
You know I probably have the perfect spell to get ride of an imposter, allow me to search through my grimores and see if I can find some sort of banishment spell.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  05:58:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
This is distressing news indeed.

I have found few FR sites in my travels around the web, that have even a basic portion of the majesty that this Candlekeep holds.

Besides, this Candlekeep has the benefit of so many fine Sages and Scholars of FR lore, that the other Candlekeep will never be anything but a pale imitation to this site.

May our learning continue now, and forever more to be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 May 2003 05:59:00
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:57:41  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Besides, this Candlekeep

This Candlekeep is THE Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:01:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
WHOOPS!

I just love word play.

Zemd, I meant THE Candlekeep

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  15:39:52  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message
well, bad news, actually. I dont know what to think... its the endless problem of internet...
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:08:14  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message
I won't even dignify their site with the hit to find out how stupid it is...

Begone foul imposters!

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Rune
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  19:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Rune's Homepage Send Rune a Private Message
For the love of Ao! what are you: small children or mature roleplayers? Just because the site shares the same name you dismiss and degrade it..your just being petty. We're only fellow roleplayers who happen to be making a forgotten realms site and you condemn us for it? Well that makes you no better than the Red Wizards
Go to Top of Page

Elrumir
Acolyte

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  19:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Elrumir's Homepage Send Elrumir a Private Message
Greetings fellow Realmsians

Why is it such a problem that a new Candlekeep site opens? It seems to me that you are the single largest site of FR-related material besides wizards.com, and it is not like we're stealing anything. Besides that, this site comes across as 'Very Professional' -just like it's contributors I guess... - while we're merely trying to vent our creativity in a hobbyist-way, just by doing what we like: exploring the Realms.

In my opinion, the last few posts come across as petty and afraid: not that we'll have your number of visitors anytime soon, nor do we want to... We're just here to do what you do: share others in our passion... I hope that you'll just let us be...

Gods... Now theyknow how to get their ways...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  12:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elrumir

Greetings fellow Realmsians

Why is it such a problem that a new Candlekeep site opens? It seems to me that you are the single largest site of FR-related material besides wizards.com, and it is not like we're stealing anything. Besides that, this site comes across as 'Very Professional' -just like it's contributors I guess... - while we're merely trying to vent our creativity in a hobbyist-way, just by doing what we like: exploring the Realms.

In my opinion, the last few posts come across as petty and afraid: not that we'll have your number of visitors anytime soon, nor do we want to... We're just here to do what you do: share others in our passion... I hope that you'll just let us be...

Apologies if my post sounded so harsh, I guess it was just a bit of a shock. Obviously the owners of Candlekeep.com have no rights to the Candlekeep name but I just thought it would have been courteous for candlekeep.co.uk to maybe choose another name, as after all, sites are usually refered to without their TLD on the URL (sorry about the acronyms )

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  13:24:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That is a good point Rad.

While I was a little angered by this news, that doesn't justify the harsh judgement that I had made earlier. I apologise for my previous comments. Still, I believe the root of the problem lay at the original choice of the name for the community in question, since like Rad suggested "sites are usually refered to without their TLD on the URL".

Go to Top of Page

Elrumir
Acolyte

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  22:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Elrumir's Homepage Send Elrumir a Private Message
Thanks, apologies accepted!

Anyway... This site, the Candlekeep as you have put it, is the more established one. That is true, no arguing about it. Besides that, it is defenitely the larger one. Nevertheless, if people cannot find something here, they could perhaps use some of our information to get to whatever it is they want. We're not trying to compete with you, we're trying to supplement each other.

Point I'm trying to make: We do not plan to go on and try to get you out of business, we're trying to give additional information, most of which is personal campaign stuff anyway.

And for the site's name... Well... Candlekeep IS the best-known library in the Realms, so we thought it the one most fitting. (This might seem like blasphemizing to you, but I didn't even know this one existed before someone pointed me to this thread ).

Anyway, I hope we can all explore the Realms in peace and not start a war of knowledge...

Edited by - Elrumir on 06 Jul 2003 22:08:13
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  23:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elrumir

Thanks, apologies accepted!

Anyway... This site, the Candlekeep as you have put it, is the more established one. That is true, no arguing about it. Besides that, it is defenitely the larger one. Nevertheless, if people cannot find something here, they could perhaps use some of our information to get to whatever it is they want. We're not trying to compete with you, we're trying to supplement each other.

Point I'm trying to make: We do not plan to go on and try to get you out of business, we're trying to give additional information, most of which is personal campaign stuff anyway.

And for the site's name... Well... Candlekeep IS the best-known library in the Realms, so we thought it the one most fitting. (This might seem like blasphemizing to you, but I didn't even know this one existed before someone pointed me to this thread ).

Anyway, I hope we can all explore the Realms in peace and not start a war of knowledge...

Well Met Elrumir

Welcome to Candlekeep (a home away from home for you, one might say )

Im sure no wars will erupt between our scribes. 'Tis indeed a slight worry upon receiving news of your library, if only that such a place was built to...ahem...copy such books and scrolls from Candlekeep (.com) and immitate this place both visually and in content..... no offence intended, but it HAS happened before so obviously we were concerned.

Still, no matter, and as you stated...."I hope we can all explore the Realms in peace and not start a war of knowledge..."

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  23:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message
Posted by Alaundo
quote:
'Tis indeed a slight worry upon receiving news of your library, if only that such a place was built to...ahem...copy such books and scrolls from Candlekeep (.com) and immitate this place both visually and in content..... no offence intended, but it HAS happened before so obviously we were concerned.

You know, Alaundo, when I was perusing their site a while ago, that was the first thing I thought of. It sure makes you think of this one if you've been here before and can compare the two. Although their content isn't but a tenth maybe of this site's.

Anyway, here's to 'em joining with us to even further our knowledge of our favorite fanatasy realm.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  03:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I have to say that I made my previous entry to this scroll in jest . . . however, I also admit that I had thought it to be a deliberate copy. I had taken a look at it, and it seemed similar. Perhaps now that it's grown, it's separated itself from ours enough.

However, please be aware that others have tried to pretend to be the same people as others here. I myself have been copied. When Alaundo broke the news about this place, my thoughts imeadiately turned to such a senario. I'm afraid that that has colored my perception ever since. If that is truely undeserved, then I appologize.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Elrumir
Acolyte

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  20:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Elrumir's Homepage Send Elrumir a Private Message
Well, as I stated above, we do not intend to imitate y'all, we just try to add to the extensive knowledge found on the net. Besides, one of the requirements to get something one wrote added to our site, is sheer novelty. We won't allow any copying, name- or otherwise.

I'm sorry if our founding has set hard feelings at first, especially considering any earlier attempts at plagiarism, which we obviously do not want to commit. One thing though: while our layouts may look alike, we did not _steal_ it, it is merely a coincidence. When we opened, I felt the site looked a bit un-library-like, with orange and red colours. I then suggested using a paper-like background and more of an 'antique' font. I now realise that it _does_ look alike... A bit... Well...

Anyway... Here's to Candlekeep dot , the best site in the Realms!

Edited by - Elrumir on 08 Jul 2003 20:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  21:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message
I guess some one has to be "If you like Candlekeep, you'll Love Candlekeep.co.uk"

They still cannot touch the original.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  18:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message
It can't compete with the real Candlekeep.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  05:00:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I think it would be best if we try to refrain from stating which Candlekeep is the best. Elrumir has gone to considerable effort to explain this already, and we should really try to respect the choices and opinions of others.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message
Two Candlekeeps? Hahahahaha you jest.
No?
Then if I am in one and there is another where am I?
Curses I need some ale.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  02:11:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed .

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  04:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message
I have informed that site that they are a candlekeep full of dopplegangers.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  06:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh, come now, Trafaldi. No need to do any flames.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  16:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message
I am not saying which one is better I am just saying this is the true original candlekeep. Any similarities are the fault of dopplegangers. They may be of the same quality though.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  17:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

I am not saying which one is better I am just saying this is the true original candlekeep. Any similarities are the fault of dopplegangers. They may be of the same quality though.

::pins Trafaldi up against the wall by the throat::

Well you sure had better realise which one is better, Trafaldi, else i'll, i'll.....

::Lowers Trafaldi and pats him gently on the shoulder as Alaundo rounds the corner::

Only joking

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  07:00:41  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message
I suggest Elrumir and alaundo and everyone else come to the inn and have a friendly drink.

Will get my post count up and earn me another pretty star if nothing else. So stop on by...its the right thing to do.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  05:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Um . . . MuadDib, the entire Welcome section (of which the Inn is a part) is a No Credit Zone. If you look, you'll see that there are several posters with '0 posts' under their names . . . .

Someone [cough]Alaundo[/cough] should put a sign up about that . . . .

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  06:41:55  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Um . . . MuadDib, the entire Welcome section (of which the Inn is a part) is a No Credit Zone. If you look, you'll see that there are several posters with '0 posts' under their names . . . .

Someone [cough]Alaundo[/cough] should put a sign up about that . . . .

He he,Thought everybody knew this!! Don't worry MuadDib I'll be in there from time to time,Us fighters have to stick together with all the magic users everywhere.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000