Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mustering Scribe & Sage Volunteers: Nether Scrolls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  06:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met to all who happen across this thread,

Many sages & FR fans have passed countless hours both here on Earth and on Toril, pouring over tomes and sourcebooks trying to understand the desultory history of the wondrous artifacts known today as the Nether Scrolls. Maybe it's the fact that the scrolls represent the Holy Grail of artifact focused gaming, or the fact that they trace their origins across such exotic pasts or it might even be their sheer potency that draws the attention of so many wisened souls. Whatever the cause, the Nether Scrolls have undeniably enthralled gamers for generations.

It comes as no surprise then that the history of the Nether Scrolls has never been told completely. All the references to the artifacts are scattered and incomplete almost skillfully hidden throughout the pages of sourcebooks for edition after edition. To myself and many others, as eager learners and lorekeepers, this has at first caused great confusion and frustration. But then in a select few this frustration subsides to curiosity. The feelings grow into a desire to set things right.

You feel it too, dont you? The Nether Scrolls call from across the planes... They call from within the vaults of a dozen beings... they call with unbridled power demanding their that history be explored... it's a demand that you know you must satisfy and that you cannot resist.

It's a feeling I have as well. And that is why I have posted this thread- to call together any willing sages here in the forums who are interested in the Nether Scrolls enough to spend decent amount of time trying to recreate their history. A group composed of even a handful of sages would be a great help in piecing together tidbits of lore into a coherent tale of the awe and majesty that are the Golden Scales of the World Serpents (the kind of sage who understands that kind of reference is the kind of sage I'm looking for!!)

To be more direct, I want a group of sages, myself included, to scour tomes of all editions and canon online sources for mentions of the nether scrolls and their creators and to compile these tidbits into a larger work that may or may not be posted here on Candlekeep depending on whether the compiled history is in accordance to the rules of the forums. Work on this project will remain out of public view until it reaches it's more final stages. All the logistics etc. will be worked out in the future but for now I am posting a call for volunteers to help with this task. Already a small group of sages has been contacted who show an interest in this topic as evident in their posts here. Replies are pending.
I am eager for responses here as well.
-Beir

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  06:51:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested.

I've got access to practically everything published for the Realms, so tracking down even the most abstract Nether Scroll reference shouldn't be too difficult.

To add to this though, I'd like to say we also include the tidbits various authors and game designers have managed to share with us here at Candlekeep. I know George has added a few thoughts here and there on the Nether Scrolls that, while still largely unofficial, are worthy of consideration nonetheless.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  07:19:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested if you need the help and like Sage, I have all novels and sourcebooks except for one sourcebook and then some Dungeons/Polyhedrons. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  16:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent!
I have most if not all of the 3e sourcebooks but i wasnt even born when the first sources came out or when the first alf of dragon magazines were published so im deinately lacking. Plus im sure you guys have a vast amount more proficiency searching through forum replies and web enhancements, than I do.
Hoondatha agreed to help in some part as well with some of the older source books too.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  17:02:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Plus im sure you guys have a vast amount more proficiency searching through forum replies and web enhancements, than I do.
Indeed.

Just let us know how you want to proceed and how we can discuss this between ourselves. I'm assuming emails?

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  18:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it woudl be easiest for us and the web manager if we started just in word documents traded via email but i wanted to wait a day or two before seeing who is willing to help and what roles each of us can play.

EDIT______

I have established a chat room with chatzy.com
Anyone who is interested should private message me their email address along with a couple possible times during the next week that you might be free to chat with the rest of the (small) group. I'll work with people to see when we can all join the chat at the same time. When thats all settled I'll post message you guys the password and invite you via your email addresses into the chat. I have a couple ideas already and have already taken some basic notes on how we mgiht want to proceed and I'm looking forward to getting started!!

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 28 Aug 2006 08:49:09
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  17:41:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any time after 6pm eastern till 3am eastern is good for me. Me a night owl. :)

My email is in my profile. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  00:52:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beir, did you get my PM?

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I was waiting for a response from Hoondatha who originally said he would be interested but I guess we can continue without him for now.
I'm trying to figure out what candlekeep time is but I'm on eastern u.s. time. and kuje's times are good for me. after this post ill check and find out what time zone candlekeep is running on so the three of us can figure this out.

All right so I'm assuming its like 3;20ish am so london time. meaning midnight londong time is like 7pm here
which works out for kuje. but for the next couple days im working from around 4pm till 10pm. The next time I'm going to be available at 7pm is maybe a week from now... so thats a problem.

If I'm wrong tell me.

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 29 Aug 2006 03:23:26
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  00:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've emailed the sage with an invitation. Kuje's email came up with an error message.
If Kuje couuld just pm me with his correct email address
or just go to the site im not sure how exactly it is set in terms of people joining but the url is
http://www.chatzy.com/333229144728
and the password is "ckeep06"
I'lll be logged on waiting for ppl to show up for the next hour or so

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  00:44:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd, that is my correct address and I totally forgot about this. :(

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  00:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was away when you logged on if you want to try and work on it im logged in now

edit:
the sage and kuje are both online on candlekeep
I am on the given website and actually tehre not just away
gosh darn this is so complicated.

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 31 Aug 2006 00:56:09
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:07:03  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be very interested in helping as well. I have all the 3E FR source books as well as a good bit of the older ones. Plus, I have a few of them as PDFs so it might be easier to search them, some of them have word recongnition.

I try to run my campaigns as to canon as possible and things like this are always help to have around.

I'll send you a PM with my email address.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im replying to your post, gelcur, via pm.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  22:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I'm late, guys, my internet got nuked for the better part of this week.

Anyway, I'm back and I'm still interested. I have virtually all 1e-2e books and most 3e as well, but all my novels are 2000 miles away (sad sigh). So let me know where I can pitch in.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on the first draft of a history outline/timeline thing. I'm gunna send it to Gelcur who will pass it on to Hoondatha... to the Sage to Kuje.

EDIT: sent to gelcur
very very rough draft

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 13 Sep 2006 17:09:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:15:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right.

I was beginning to wonder what was happening here.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ya sry it took me so long i started school and am still working as a bartender so i had no time rly to work on it so i sent it over to gelcur in its rough stages.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  04:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how gelcur is getting along with this... i havent seen him around lately.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  06:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a series of back and forth emails Gelcur sent me the document with some but not all of the additions that he would have liked to put in. I specifically noted 2 or 3 sources he found that I have no access too. The format is rough, and I think it's becoming apparent that we will need to pass it around several times before it makes any sense. Regardless, I'm sending a postmessage to Hoondatha requesting an email address to which I can send the attached document. I'll edit this later when I can confirm that I've sent the email.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Tigger
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  05:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Tigger's Homepage Send Tigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like to see how this is going.
-Tig
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  16:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now Hoondatha is working on it. Or at least I sent it to him. Its still a very rough draft and we'll be able to show it once the work is completed. You gotta be patient though bc this could take many more months before this is fully compiled and edited.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  17:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying. I just got hammered with assignments (grad school), so it's going slower than I would like. Hopefully should have something by the end of the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  19:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feel pressured. Gelcur and I had it for a good number of weeks before passing it on.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  01:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I've been gone, and I appologize, but it wasn't planned. Just before Christmas (though fortunately just after I finished all my papers for grad school), my computer completely died. I lost everything on my primary hard disk, including the Nether Scrolls draft I was putting the finishing touches on. I've been putting off this message in the hope that I could breathe some sort of life into my drive and at least get my data out, but no luck.

So everything I did is now gone, and I'm too depressed at the moment to start over. Beirnadri, could you send whatever you have that's most current to whomever's next in line? Send me a copy as well, and maybe in a month I'll be up to starting work on it again.

Sorry all.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  05:09:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it too late to be in on this? Being an old-time DM I'm pretty good a throwing together history, and I have almost every 2e product and a great many 3e products. I'm also an avid novel reader (aren't we all?), so if I can help in any way let me know.

------------- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  16:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hi. I've been gone, and I appologize, but it wasn't planned. Just before Christmas (though fortunately just after I finished all my papers for grad school), my computer completely died. I lost everything on my primary hard disk, including the Nether Scrolls draft I was putting the finishing touches on. I've been putting off this message in the hope that I could breathe some sort of life into my drive and at least get my data out, but no luck.

So everything I did is now gone, and I'm too depressed at the moment to start over. Beirnadri, could you send whatever you have that's most current to whomever's next in line? Send me a copy as well, and maybe in a month I'll be up to starting work on it again.

Sorry all.

Well met

Sorry to hear that, Hoondatha. That's terrible news.

What exactly went from with your hard drive? What methods have you used to retrieve the data?

Drop me a PM, i've experienced this myself far too many times and may be able to help.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  23:32:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Sorry all.

Well met

Sorry to hear that, Hoondatha. That's terrible news.

What exactly went from with your hard drive? What methods have you used to retrieve the data?

Drop me a PM, i've experienced this myself far too many times and may be able to help.

And you know what they say about two heads...

Hoon, send my a PM as well. I'd like to see if there's anything I can do. Since I'm partly involved with this project, I'd like to offer my assistance in this matter.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  01:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be done. Lightning bolts aren't very nice to electronics (my building got hit, and as it raced down the side of the building it paused to slag my computer). Fortunately, I wasn't present, and nothing burned (though the appartment still reeks several weeks later).

The loss on my tower was total (some of the insides looked kinda like toast that's been left in the toaster for twenty minutes), but fortunately I had my external hard drive with me at the time. I still have all my digitized books, which is definately something. But that Nether Scrolls draft is well and truly gone.

On the plus side, now I know some nifty tricks for my mage to play on computers in Shadowrun...

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  06:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear this sad news Hoondatha!
I've been way from the keep a while too unfortunately (crazy holidays et al.)
I'll go ahead and send the draft over to whoever is next when I'm on my other computer next.

To reply to the poster before; I think we have enough folks for now. We have some really dedicated people working on this. When we're finished or if we need more help laer I'll let you know. Thanks for the interest anyways.

-beir

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  21:41:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

To reply to the poster before; I think we have enough folks for now. We have some really dedicated people working on this. When we're finished or if we need more help laer I'll let you know. Thanks for the interest anyways.

Thats cool, I just figured if there was a hole in the pipeline now I could fill it. I've done that before on other forum based group projects, so I have references. Not writing, painting actually, but I do work well under pressure. If any of you need help with anything just give me a holler, I'm always willing to help.

@Hoondatha - Sorry to hear about your woes, been there done that. I only just recently was able to retrieve data off one of my old drives, but Lightning is pretty thorough. Even if you could get it to spin the electromagnetic field would have wiped it clean.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000