Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Gummi Bears?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beldar Roaringhorn
Acolyte

Italy
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  02:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Beldar Roaringhorn's Homepage Send Beldar Roaringhorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone remember that 80's cartoon, The Gummi Bears? When I was a kid I loved that show, anyway, what would they be like in D&D 3E stats. Probably slightly along the lines of halflings combined with elves. I remember they were supposed to be competent mages so maybe that would be their favored class. Its interesting to think about anyway...

Mod Edit: Moved to the more-generalised D&D section of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2006 02:59:46

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  03:02:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't an April issue of Dragon have something like a gummy golem?

I can't say I've thought too much of using any cartoon elements in D&D, save for stuff from the old D&D cartoon. But now that you mention it... Part of me is wondering where in the Realms to drop Smurfs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2006 03:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  06:08:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the show, but I must admit I have never thought of them in D&D terms. How about ewoks with some jumping abilities and gnomish habits?

Now to my question, what are you planning to use these stats fore, is it just for fun or are you planning to use them in a realms campaign? If the last, give me some details please, you have made me curious.

Now, what to do about Orko.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  06:15:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good lord, if we keep this up then we'll have to bring up Snarf from Thundercats . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 01 Aug 2006 06:16:33
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  06:31:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by KnightErrandJR
Good lord, if we keep this up then we'll have to bring up Snarf from Thundercats . . .

Well, I think the whole point is to lead us back to the true wisdom of Captain Caveman.

I will now stop this before Alaundo takes inspiration from this greatest of superheroes and clubs me over the head.
PS When we are talking of Snarf...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  06:32:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! Don't forget Kowl then.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  08:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first we'd have to introduce a potion of flexibility combined with jumping and bouncing...

On second thought, I always loved Glorantha...can't we have DUCKS in the Realms????

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  09:45:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I don't recognize a lot of these names.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  10:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

There was a Snarf in Thundercats?

Hmmm...which came first? Snarfquest or Thundercats?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  10:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Wow. I don't recognize a lot of these names.

Glorantha...please don't tell me you do not know what that is...damn I do feel old.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  10:43:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Elmores Snarfquest is the oldest; Snarf was some kind of lion-creature in Thundercats, a minor character I seem to remember. Now, Ducks, I still remember the pirate duck characters from another role playing system. maybe I should put them on some island in the Shining Sea.

Now, Dan, time for you to update yourself on early 80's quality cartoons.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:13:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Originally posted by KnightErrandJR

Well, I think the whole point is to lead us back to the true wisdom of Captain Caveman.

I will now stop this before Alaundo takes inspiration from this greatest of superheroes and clubs me over the head.
PS When we are talking of Snarf...

Yes! Captain Caveman rules!

Let's have him join Drizzt & crew!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:17:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

At first we'd have to introduce a potion of flexibility combined with jumping and bouncing...

On second thought, I always loved Glorantha...can't we have DUCKS in the Realms????

Why stop there? Why not have wereducks?

We need a Ducks of the Realms supplement. There's obviously interest in it: No really . . . I need stats for a duck . . .

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2006 11:17:40
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:25:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, would spellducker then become a character-class?

That half-duck template could be a real hit.

Now, what about the chosen of the duck god Baercksos?

Help, I cant stop myself.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  12:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We could also introduce a vampire-spawn called Count Duckula!

Danilo Thann would probably sing a new tune: "Duckling on Heaven's Door"

And of course we'd have the Ducks of Myth Drannor!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  15:47:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey,

Don't forget Howard the Duck (gods, i'm showing my age on this one)

And Scrooge McDuck. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Aug 2006 15:48:38
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course... Duck Dodgers!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  16:42:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't forget Nanny and Igor.

quote:

Ah yes, the Egyptian God of Frustration.

-- And to bring us back on topic... how would any of you reflect the effects of Gummiberry Juice in d20 stats?

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2006 16:43:19
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonus Jump attack feat for duration, jump without starting run for at least 60 feet, DR15/everything EXCEPT bludgeon weapons, reflection for blunt attacks back on the attacker grapple modifier as AB

Of course I didn't research enough of the series and didn't bother to look into the rulebooks either

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:08:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Ah yes, the Egyptian God of Frustration.

I still love that line!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

-- And to bring us back on topic... how would any of you reflect the effects of Gummiberry Juice in d20 stats?

I never really watched that show... But I'd be willing to help try to stat out Captain Caveman or the Smurfs.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the smurf live in the same area as the fungimen? (forgot their name*shrug*)

Go to Top of Page

Beldar Roaringhorn
Acolyte

Italy
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Beldar Roaringhorn's Homepage Send Beldar Roaringhorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't trying to create a discussion of random cartoon characters but.... Aaaaaanyway, I like your idea of gummiberry juice Mace Hammerhand. Still, wouldn't that be a little too overwhelming? I'm glad somebody else remembers the show Sage.

As for Jorkens' question-
I was actually thinking of using them. I figured that since the gummis left Europe for central America to escape humans, they would have had to leave again once the conquistadors came. If the Gummis were such powerful wizards, then why not perform a spell that transfers their civilization to another plane or planet? To me that would be the best way to keep their civilization alive. I don't know where they would settle on Faerun (help there would be nice), but the elves would likely accept them as kindred spirits. I could even see the dwarves accepting them, since the gummis built vast tunnel networks underground. They would most likely be wary of humans, but I'm sure they would be able to defend themselves against Thay and Shade, so they would have some staying power.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:51:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, its a well known fact that the barbarian hero known as captain Caveman is a member of the hairy Hanna-barbarians that live on a small island on the western shore of the great ice sea.

The islands center is heated by volcanic activity and geysers that makes it possible for the magical Cluballa tree to grow. This is a holy tree and a compromise in an old argument between Silvanus and the goddess of Air, where it was agreed that the tree should grow in the air itself. From these the Hanna-barbarians make their magical flying clubs.

In the later years there has been rumours of the island sinking and the Hanna-barbarians preparing to migrate. They will probably travel in the branches of the flying trees. No one are sure on how they will meet the rest of faerun or where their will travel, as they both have a lousy sense of direction and somewhat slow thought-process as long as food is not involved.

Wherever they travel it will be a scream.

PS Wooly, could you stat them in 2ed. terms?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beldar Roaringhorn

I wasn't trying to create a discussion of random cartoon characters but.... Aaaaaanyway, I like your idea of gummiberry juice Mace Hammerhand. Still, wouldn't that be a little too overwhelming?

Not really, I didn't mention a duration, butjudging from what I remember of the show, which I haven't seen in more than a decade, the gummis could jump that far, remember 60 feet is just about 20 meters. Plus they could attack, if one could call it that, and bounce on. Also blunt instruments didn't really do any damage at all, so considering that the DR only works for blunt weapons it ain't that much of a problem...

Duration? Maybe 6 rounds...

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  21:28:38  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would be the stats of gummi bears in 3E terms?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  00:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it odd in a Disney production, that the Gummi Bears would just toss the empty bottles into the forest after drinking the Gummi Berry juice.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  01:11:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think the indivdual Smurf characters would make interesting NPCs for a campaign.

Heh. Brainy could be the local town sage the adventurers regularly visit for lore and other campaign-related information.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  01:16:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smurfs scare me as a adult.... I've always wondered why there's really only one female in the whole village..... quite... interesting.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Danilo Thann would probably sing a new tune: "Duckling on Heaven's Door"

And of course we'd have the Ducks of Myth Drannor!

Ouch... just ouch.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hey,

I've seen that movie.

It is proof that not everything George Lucas touches turns to gold (he produced it, I think).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  04:01:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hey,

I've seen that movie.

It is proof that not everything George Lucas touches turns to gold (he produced it, I think).

Yes,

he was one of the producers. :)

Man, I saw that when it came out at the movies/on vhs. Sad. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000