Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Worst threat to Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  21:51:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that humanity is the greatest threat to Faerun in the long run.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote go to the sarrukhs... I donīt think that they will be so well detalhed in the Serpents Kingdoms only to go to the background again.... or will?!?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  05:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humanity the greatest threat to faerun? well, is it in terms of
:1)human empire expansion or city expansion?
2)Destruction to Nature?
3)Too many serving in the Zhentarim or the Cult of The Dragon?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:09:47  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Nether Scrolls: Well, consider what would have happened if the netherese wouldve still had access to the scrolls during the phaerimm conflict. Its very probable that they could have defeated them, or that Karsus wouldntve failed his spell.

Well, that's quite an assumption, isn't it? If the Netherese did still possess the Nether scrolls, they would've been even more arrogant and reckles with their usage of magic. Think about what they had done WITHOUT the scrolls, let alone the powers they would wield with that knowledge. Remember, one glance at a Nether scroll allowed a gnome thief to learn the school of illusion that eventually would spread on to the whole race.

Second, possessing the Nether scroll or not, Karsus would still screw up the spells. The mighty archwizard had underestimated the divinity and powers of a deity, and even possessing the full set of the Nether Scrolls his mortal body would still not be able to hold and control such mighty divine powers.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another big threat to faerun which I would like to suggest is the phaerimm. Though the Sharn Wall in Anuaroch has a breach that I think is not yet plugged. So it is hard to calculate how many more remain inside the Sharn Wall, plus I suspect that the Sharn Wall may not be the only prison of the phaerimm on the entire continent of Faerun, there may be more hidden uncharted prisons of the phaerimm scattered across Faerun. Excluding the remaining phaerimm in the Sharedim of Evereska and the Myth Drannor phaerimm (about 40 i think), if these possible existing locations of these hidden phaerimm prisons are breached, it would be diificult to chart the numbers of fleeing convicted phaerimm and the damage they will cause.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Defender
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  11:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Defender's Homepage Send Defender a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say the Zhentarim are the greatest threat to all Faerun.

Justice is swift and will strike when you least expect it.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  13:06:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Humanity the greatest threat to faerun? well, is it in terms of
:1)human empire expansion or city expansion?
2)Destruction to Nature?
3)Too many serving in the Zhentarim or the Cult of The Dragon?

Definitely destruction to nature, as well as light(sometimes heavy)xenophobia, a superiority complex, respect for nothing and they breed like rats.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Studying even ONE nether scroll grants you an entire spellcaster level, and there are FIFTY of them... Catch my drift? ;)

Most likely, with the nether scrolls, Karsus wouldntve had any reason to cast Karsus' Avatar - since the archwizards would have been able to defeat the phaerimm via normal means.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  18:55:19  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Studying even ONE nether scroll grants you an entire spellcaster level, and there are FIFTY of them... Catch my drift? ;)

Most likely, with the nether scrolls, Karsus wouldntve had any reason to cast Karsus' Avatar - since the archwizards would have been able to defeat the phaerimm via normal means.

Once again, you are assuming that Karsus would've been able to learn them all. Reading a Nether Scroll isn't as easy as picking up a book and flipping through the pages. It takes a single month of DEDICATED review and study of one SINGLE page of the Nether Scroll to get the bonuses and information. So if you want to learn everything, it means you have to spend 100 months doing pratically nothing except sitting around and reading the scrolls. I don't think Karsus had that luxury of time, considering he rules over an entire enclave plus he had the phaerrim attacks to handle.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm aware of that. But if they couldn't put that much teamwork together between all the archmages, it's their own darn fault to loose :P

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  00:10:24  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you just said have made my point. It was the Netherese's fault that they "lost", not the elves. So the theft of the Nether Scrolls did not change much then, and in fact actually was helpful to the future of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  03:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So waht happens if the nether scrolls also fell into he hands of yje phaerimm? They will be even more powerful and larger a threat than a dracolich.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  05:36:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my impression at the end of the Return of the Archwizards was that the phaerimm was now about as large a threat as the Gelatinous Oozes of Undermountain

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  05:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, my impression at the end of the Return of the Archwizards was that the phaerimm was now about as large a threat as the Gelatinous Oozes of Undermountain

The phaerimm have a better union, so they're slightly more of a threat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  06:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well pardon me, does the phaerimm have a leader?, is it correct to presume that their War Gather are the main leader of the phaerimm. Also, is it true that phaerimm located in different places tend to sort of have a general dislike of their other kin in other places?
Replies gladly welcomed.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  08:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really. The downfall of Netheril was that they couldn't defeat the phaerimm, so Karsus had to do what he did. Seeing as to how long-lived they were, and the simple fact that the archwizards - or at least a few of them - would have cooperated in such a dire need (I simply assume this given their presumably high intelligence and wisdom scores), they could've studied more than enough of the scrolls, and thus greatly increasing their magical power. Lets assume Karsus reads only 20% of them - thats 10 - and pop, you got yourself a 52th level wizard, not to mention other special abilities from reading entire chapters...

And as far as dracoliches go, they aren't that much more dangerous than a dragon itself...

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  17:24:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The phaerimm have a better union, so they're slightly more of a threat.

*gets an image of a group of phaerimm shouting: "The Phaerimm United, Shall Never Be Defeated."*

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  17:58:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some believe that either it is reading a specific scroll or the first one, that that casting level is gained. The reading of the other 49 (If one has access to them) do not appear to grant additional levels.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrug* THats not how it is worded, though :)

Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  11:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the dark gods such as Cyric and Ixitchul Xvim are the greatest threats to Faerun.

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  11:25:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

I think the dark gods such as Cyric and Ixitchul Xvim are the greatest threats to Faerun.

Iyachtu Xvim isn't much of a threat -- he's dead. He burst apart and Bane came crawling out.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:49:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Iyachtu Xvim isn't much of a threat -- he's dead. He burst apart and Bane came crawling out.

Since when has death stopped an FR god from possibly being a threat? After all, he just has to wait until a new FR edition comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  17:55:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Since when has death stopped an FR god from possibly being a threat? After all, he just has to wait until a new FR edition comes out.

Well, the whole bursting apart thing does seem to limit Xvim's ability to return...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  18:21:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, the whole bursting apart thing does seem to limit Xvim's ability to return...

Things once looked bad for Bane too....and I'm firmly convinced it's only a matter of time until Bhaal and Myrkul come back.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to be harder to make gods stay dead than it is to exterminate cockroaches..........

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  20:40:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It seems to be harder to make gods stay dead than it is to exterminate cockroaches..........

There is a Raid joke here...I just can't think of it right now.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  01:15:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With LEoF's sections on dead Gods and worshipping them, I find it even more likely that several dead gods will return in the future...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  03:25:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

With LEoF's sections on dead Gods and worshipping them, I find it even more likely that several dead gods will return in the future...

Good points. Anyone with theories on which ones might return and be a threat or help with a threat to Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  04:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Good points. Anyone with theories on which ones might return and be a threat or help with a threat to Faerun?

Auppenser is the most likely candidate for a return to prominence...

And Myrkul may not be interested in being a god, but he's still in a good position to stir up trouble...

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  05:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the followers of the dead gods can reach the astral planes where the dead gods bodies are found, they may have an opportunity of bringing them to life.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000