Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Worst threat to Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

Ok, I'm going to throw out my opinions on this matter, since they haven't really been discussed yet:

Past biggest threats:

The Dawn Cataclysm. While the Times of Trouble seemed bad, nearly 10 deities died and all, ultimately it wasn't that bad in terms of long term ramifications with Ao overseeing everything and making sure that the deities were greatly reduced in power and able to pick up the mantles of other deities relatively easily. I'm not so sure the same thing happened during the Dawn Cataclysm, but am sure that things could have wound up much much worse.

Future biggest threat: Whatever Lathander's got cooking this time. I love Lathander, probably because he is so willing to leap before looking.

Sarta

You actually like that aspect about Lathander... Why?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  14:50:39  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

You actually like that aspect about Lathander... Why?

Well I can't answer for Sarta, but the reason I like it is because it makes for an entertaining deity!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 10 Jun 2004 14:51:08
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  19:14:23  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Well I can't answer for Sarta, but the reason I like it is because it makes for an entertaining deity!

Exactly. Having been a huge fan of various cultures' mythology, I love the fact that so many of these deities have such huge character flaws or have made so many just dumb decisions. I think that it is something that should be reflected more in the Faerunean pantheon.

I guess that's why I loved the idea of Mask fleeing constantly from Kezef the Chaos Hound, Cyric's disasterous encounter with the Cyrinishad, and the impetuousness of Lathander.

I also think that it sets a great example for player characters that worship Lathander. It reflects his attitude of trying bold new undertakings. Sometimes they will fail disasterously, but at least they were attempted.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  19:26:30  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the nice thing about the failings in the Faerūnian pantheon is that they arn't utter mess-ups - they are very much a part of what makes each deity who they are. Using Sarta's good examples: Lathander is about utter goodness, which can often be blind; Cyric was crazy so he brought about hos own downfall; and Mask is a hider-in-the-shadows and an escape artist.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  12:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sighs.

Sometimes I think the biggest threat to the realms are my PCs. What with their ceaseless antics, and leaps of psychotic abandon I do believe they could actually cause me to have to "reset" the realms for my next FR campaign.

I mean, whenever the guy that plays the red wizard just sits, staring at the epic level handbook, licking his lips, looking like smack addict eyeing his next fix, you know interesting times are ahead.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  20:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest threat to the realms is the Haze Brothers - period, end of story.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  20:48:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sebastrd

The biggest threat to the realms is the Haze Brothers - period, end of story.

I'll bite. Who are the Haze brothers?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  21:07:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Hasbro............

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Jun 2004 21:07:37
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  21:40:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Hasbro............

Ah, okay, I've seen T$R and other terms for company names, but have not seen this one until now. Thank you for the enlightenment.
Go to Top of Page

Alparon
Seeker

Turkey
67 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  14:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Alparon's Homepage Send Alparon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the biggest treath would be a fourth edition d&d

where its rumoured that:
according to 4th edition stats Drizz't would be lvl7

I am Cyric, the One and the All, God of Murder and Intrigue, Patron of Deception and Chaos, Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, rightful Lord of the Dead, Cyric-on-a-stick, and known to some as "the Mad God." I welcome you to The Land of the Dead...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:24:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon
where its rumoured that:

He's that high
Go to Top of Page

Lord Darcia
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  22:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Darcia's Homepage Send Lord Darcia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the greatest threat to Faerun is the City of Shadow (Shadovar). As of the summer of 1372 DR, they've destroyed the Paherimm, had a hand in the decimation of the elves of Evereska and their Evermeet reinforcements, and there's no one capable of stopping them from further expantion.

An all powerful evil would be cool to have in the Forgotten Realms, it'd be fun to wathc the Realms try to fight, or join them in a climatic battle for supermacy.

The City of Shades will reclaim the world one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  03:08:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Darcia

I believe the greatest threat to Faerun is the City of Shadow (Shadovar). As of the summer of 1372 DR, they've destroyed the Paherimm, had a hand in the decimation of the elves of Evereska and their Evermeet reinforcements, and there's no one capable of stopping them from further expantion.

I want to disagree with that last line. The white hats could have stopped them, if the author hadn't been reducing them to a bunch of incompetents.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  13:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay.. the worst threat I guess I could say the Tie of Troubles was very destructive and cahged the realms forever. And I don't know about thid being the worst but I fin it true nontheless. Humans are a threat with there expanion and spreading throughout Faerun and sqwabbling over territory and money destroying the natural world around them. And sometimes causing other races to suffocate. Aslo the fact that they may cause a catastrophe just look at he Netheril'Narfell and Raumathar destroyed themselves.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  22:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Darcia

I want to disagree with that last line. The white hats could have stopped them, if the author hadn't been reducing them to a bunch of incompetents.

Yes, I disagree that there is no one capable of stopping the Shade, as well as the idea that an all-powerful evil would be a good design decision for the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  06:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*eyes Shade stats* As a matter of fact, the white hats WOULD be hard-pressed to deal with Telamont and his entourage... As I mentioned earlier, with that obscene amount of magical power collected in Shade, you gotta ask yourself why they are content with just sitting in their little enclave for now.
But then, I have also always wondered how the hell the Simbul fights off Thay all on her own :P
Game-term wise that is, at least.

Seriously though, I'm thinking Shar. The ONLY large gathering place she has is Shade, which is nigh invincible against pending attacks - only a huge amount of spellcasters could bring that beast down. With Shade he also has a swell 3000 well-trained soldiers and about 1000 arcanists at her disposal.
Then there's the Order of the Dark Moon and her agents have infiltrated many places all across Faerun.

All in all, with the emergence to the shadow weave, her confirmation as the most powerful evil deity, the return of Shade and countless other little incidents could well hint that WotC is planning something bigger with her in the future.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  10:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually I think the idea of a massive rise of local conflicts that'll lead to a toril wide war, as Zemd said, is an interesting idea.

Just imagining an series of efficient assassinations (supported by the Zhentarim, or the Red Wizards) of popular or prominent leaders for some important Realms nations, all carried out Realms-wide and at relatively the same time with the Zhentarim then quickly taking over control, would be enough of a threat to induce a near-Realms wide conflict, not to mention the chaos that would follow, is reason enough to be a little worried at what some situations could bring.

Yeah I like that idea to. A war much like the scale of WW2 on Toril. Personally, while it doesn't bring much chaos as the ToT, I think it seems like a nice idea.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  02:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say currently the greatest threat is not the Shadovar though I am a citizen of Sahde Enclave. But I must say the greatest threats come from teh Most High, Teelamont Tanthul and his 12 sons who seek to restore Netheril at the expense of the Faerunians. The citizens are merely mortals who just had no choice but to obey the Most High Commands. So targets are these 13 shades of the 500 shades in the city.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  19:17:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

I say currently the greatest threat is not the Shadovar though I am a citizen of Sahde Enclave. But I must say the greatest threats come from teh Most High, Teelamont Tanthul and his 12 sons who seek to restore Netheril at the expense of the Faerunians. The citizens are merely mortals who just had no choice but to obey the Most High Commands. So targets are these 13 shades of the 500 shades in the city.

Several of his sons have already bitten the dust.....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  02:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is true, then still Telamont Tanthul can still get new offspring with any lady he favors, he is living shadow magic and more than 1000 years old. If any target to be hit must be him, but we cannot forget that there are also the other shades of Sahde Enclave to be noted of which are still dangerous in their own way.
I say telamont will return with a even bigger threat to aferun especially when he is backed by a dracolich.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  02:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, anyone know of Umberlee once former consort? Yes i now he is dead but there is a possibility that he may return to haunt the seas of Faerun. The name is Iakhovas. For fragments of him still remain and can be rejoined to make a whole new Iakhovas.
The other greatest threat is the Speaker of the Cult of the Dragon who also known as Sammaster. Hard to kill especially when he is a lich and too elusive to catch.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  12:50:09  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
where its rumoured that:

He's that high

He`s that low? I thought he was epic.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  17:42:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:
where its rumoured that:

He's that high

He`s that low? I thought he was epic.

Drizzt has been statted out about a thousand times... And none of those times have agreed...

I think he's only like 9th level in the current version.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  18:53:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I think he's only like 9th level in the current version.

That's all? He's not much of a threat to Faerun then.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  22:56:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I'm home and could check. According to page 177 of the FRCS, Drizzt is Ftr10/Bbn1/Rgr5.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  20:11:03  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is Bbn?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  20:47:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baboon

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 06 Apr 2005 20:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  21:23:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Baboon

HAHAHA.

But it's actually Barbarian. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

benking27
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  22:20:37  Show Profile  Visit benking27's Homepage Send benking27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fey'ri invasion.

Sex isn't a game. It's a lifestyle.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  00:47:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benking27

The fey'ri invasion.

If looking at the most current Realms timeline, I have to agree. The Fey'ri won't simply be satisfied gaining revenge on the elven race. Eventually their eyes will turn elsewhere if they are not stopped.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000