Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Worst threat to Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  17:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Faiths & Pantheons is any use Shar is a more powerful deity than Cyric, regardless of the sizes of their churchs. First, the numbers in Lords of Darkness are kind weird, in that they are small regarding the number of worshippers. The only logicla conclusion I can draw is that the numbers of followers listed is that of who are part of the respective churches, and does not represent their worshippers at large.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  22:10:42  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's right Edain. One could say that the 250000 estimated followers of Cyric are the one's who worship him and only him. After all, a large part of the people of Faerun are known to not worship a single god solely, but rather paying lipservice to a whole host of gods.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  23:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a good point, Cherrn. Honestly, I try not to trust too closely the numbers provided by Wizards, since they can be innaccurate when compared with rules regarding the numbers, such as the number of followers a deity needs versus has.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you are right as usaley Cherrn.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  01:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, this who discussion of numbers of worshippers leaves me wondering if that is all that would matter in a divine conflict. It seems that most discussions over who would win a divine conflict revolve around divine rank which, while important, I cannot envision being the only things that decides a conflict. While the formost concerns in a such a conflict, greater gods are greater gods, and I think that it would not matter nearly as much as who is smarter, more determined, more willing to take risks, has a better plan, whatever. Still, it seems it tends to comes down to worshippers, and I just have trouble buying it.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  02:23:54  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well statwise it is nearly impossible for greater gods to kill eachother. They can do heal at will. Basically you would have to dish out enough damage to kill the greater god entirely within a round, otherwise you are back to square one. A greater god never fails anything, only successes. In the end it comes down to who has the highest init mod.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  14:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
init mod and that is ?
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  15:57:05  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
initiative modifier.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes then Cyric wins as usaley.
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  00:43:18  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra can have some ultra contingency spells.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  03:39:48  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A greater god vs greater god fight would always end in a stalemate, unless of course the GM wants it otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so a war of the greater gods would last forever...
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  00:49:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think so... there have been many battles of the gods in the past and there's often a winner and loser. For example, Tempus and Garugauth (sp?).

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  03:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the problem with predicting the winners of a divine conflict is people often rely too heavily on the statistics provided in Faiths & Pantheons, which, aside from being pre-Epic Level Handbook and very flawed, are also not the entire picture in a divine conflict. Rarely when deities come into conflict does their confrontation result in a face-to-face fight. Usually they scheme, betray, spy, assassinate, trick, and surprise, resorting ot almost any means to win. Of course, certain deities, like Torm, would only fight face-to-face, but gods of Torm's kind are not aggressors and are typically well insulated from attack (i.e. they have powerful friends, like Torm has Tyr and Illmater). Take the death of Leira for instance, Mask and Cyric plotted to assasinate her, working together to likely take her by surprise and then conceal her death. I seriously doubt that Cyric, Mask, or Leira came face-to-face, more like Leira got a quick stab in the back with Godsbane. In truth, few deities other than Torm, Lathander, Tyr, and maybe Tempus really care about honor and fair play. Of course, some deities are so far and a away more powerulf they simply cannot be attacked, like Chauntea. Like with all good roleplaying, it is not always about statistics.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  14:01:25  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I don't think so... there have been many battles of the gods in the past and there's often a winner and loser. For example, Tempus and Garugauth (sp?).

Tempus is a greater god, Gargauth wasn't. That's why Tempus won the fight. I said, judging by stats and abilities of Greater Gods a fight between 2 of them would always end in a stalemate since they couldn't kill eachother

UNLESS

the GM wanted it otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  14:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the other way Tempus was a demigod and Gargauth was greater god
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  16:50:05  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does it say that exactly Cyric ?

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  17:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in faiths and pantheons, it says he eventualley came in conflict with the young demigod Tempus
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  20:53:58  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I had forgotten where it was said. Again, it would never ever happen if game mechanics was followed.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  00:45:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cherrn, most novels don't follow game mechanics. Also, if what you say is true, how are some PCs able to kill Greater Gods and take their place?

Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  02:39:51  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not Gargauth, but Garagos. In fact, it is Targus, the Netherese god of war.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  03:08:40  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Cherrn, most novels don't follow game mechanics. Also, if what you say is true, how are some PCs able to kill Greater Gods and take their place?

As I said earlier, it will happen if the GM allows it to happen. The GM is also the writer of a novel, he tells a story after all.

And I would like an example of a mortal killing a greater god.
Without mentioning Bhaal, who was killed by Mask in the form of Godsbane, and Myrkul who was killed by Midnight heavily imbued with the divine power of Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  03:23:09  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cherrn, those examples you made are from the Times of Trouble, where the gods don't have all their powers.

I'm pointing out about how the PCs that play AD&D are able to kill gods. Now, I'm not talking about the DM giving them an advantage or something, but just fighting a god with the stats its given in a manual.

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  11:26:52  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the stats given in the manual, a mortal wouldn't be able to kill a greater god in DnD 3rd edition.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2004 :  13:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but a demi or lesser would fall i do belive
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  00:45:51  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And from there-on one could build ones way up!

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  17:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that one could...
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  12:37:08  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maby one would end up as the Worst Threat to Faerűn?

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P

Edited by - EcThelion on 12 Feb 2004 12:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  14:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and maby Cyric is the worse treat to Faerun....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  02:15:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again with Cyric...

This is becoming very tiresome indeed...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000