Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  17:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

[Bookwyrm grumbles a bit at the Sage, then looks around with mild surprise.]

Last I checked, this scroll wasn't in this chamber! I guess Alaundo's doing some reshelving. I wonder why he didn't move the original scroll, though, the one that I referred to when I started this one?

::quickly slides a scroll into a shelf next to the one thats just been penned by Bookwyrm and Sage of Perth, then walks away whistling::

::sigh:: I wish people would learn to put scrolls back in their right places

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  12:41:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting question for Edain -

How did your character handle the transition from Elven High Magic 2e to High Magic-non Epic 3e?.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack! I just started reading um...'Realms of the Underdark', and I just wanted everyone to know that I did not take Malice's name from Matron Mother Malice!

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You only just noticed that? I remember at least one time where someone was wondering if you had done just that -- or was joking about it, or something. I think it was when you first showed up here.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  22:08:34  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your portrait is a female vampire and your name is a female Drow.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  08:19:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malice said -
quote:
Ack! I just started reading um...'Realms of the Underdark', and I just wanted everyone to know that I did not take Malice's name from Matron Mother Malice!
I am curious. From where did your member name then originate?.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jun 2003 08:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  02:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Malanthius"

Where to begin? Perhaps with what's most/least familar to you. "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" a fairly classic "eastern" starring the roguish prince of the seven seas and his quest for my help of all things.

quote:
"Malanthius? Malanthius is a Myth, and his powers are only Legend!"

What always struck me about Malanthius is that he's just Malanthius. No long winded title, no surname, just "Malanthius". There is only one Malanthius after all, so it might as well be me.

As for the Realms themselves, my character is basicly a "proto-troll" that happens to be one of the few surviving creatures created (altered?) by the Creator Races 20 odd millenia back dale Reckoning. Or rather He started out as something similar to a troll, and slowly changed over time with his experiance with the Art, and with the planes, and with just the world in general. He's had Hundreds of names over the aeons, (when he was actually interacting with someone else anyway) the reason he settled on this one finally was because there never really was a malanthius. It was the name of a legendary wizard out of the tales of the Rengarth Barbarians. (Said tale originating as an attempt to explain what stopped an orc horde on it's way towards their lands -who somehow contracted someform of plague and never reached them-as told by a very drunken mumbling scout that was trying to explain his condition). He reasoned somebody had to be malanthius.

As for the avatar, Malanthius mostly looks like an extremely tall man , very spindly, that wheres a lot of outer garments to cover the greenish tint of his skin. (He's used alteration rituals over the years to make his appearance more human permanently; but didn't want to truly get rid of his trollish biology)This being one of the few list avatars not being used, and it kind of looks like a young guy concealing himself, i picked it.
Ta Da! The end, or is it just the beginning?

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  03:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty good tale. I like it.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:19:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it amazing that so many characters here have histories that span many periods of time. It seems to be a recurring trend. I remember that not only my character the Sage, but I think Bookwyrm, Edain Shadowstar and a few others all use these long-lived characters as their forum characters here at Candlekeep.

'20 odd millenia' is certainly a long time. For my character, the Sage of Perth, he is old enough to remember a time when both Ahriman and Jazirian (the Twin Serpents) were still squabbling and struggling over where the center of the multiverse would go.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:34:20  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my original name was "Elminster" whom im sure needs no introduction, however, when Alaundo chose me for the Inn, i needed a new nick as he said i couldn't use Elminster, so thus, i decided to move away from famous realms characters which cause conflicts in IC rooms, and went for MuadDib.

We discussed it in an earlier thread, but for everyones' benefit: MuadDib, correctly written as Paul Muad'Dib was the chose name of Paul Atreides, Duke of the exiled house of Atreides who befriended the Fremen warriors of Arrakis, and who was named Usul. Muad'Dib is the Fremen word for a desert mouse who is also named as the second moon orbiting Arrakis.

Since i come for a differennt plane of existence and another genre i dont have any long story as to how i got here other than to say i was summoned here by a botched conjuring spell, by some weird wild mage, who quickly fell to my explosive temper. I mean after all, I AM THE KWISATZ HADERACH!!!!!

::MuadDib looks around the library at the many people who furiosly gesture at him to keep quiet and sits down embarressed::

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it really is that surprising about the gathering of the well aged to candlekeep. This is some would say the largest collection of dusty tomes in all of toril, and so we're all drawn here like moths to a flame, seeking perhaps to find things we've all lost in times long since gone.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  11:05:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage would certainly agree with your point Malanthius. I know that as a really long-lived character he has forgotten many of his extra-dimensional storage areas stationed in strategic safe-holds across the multiverse.

Any PC's who ever managed to find and enter one, would indeed 'strike it rich' so to speak.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  18:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, was that you place I stumbled on two centuies ago? Sorry.

Actually, my character is one that has jumped not only planes but universes; he's visited all of the great ones. Basically, any story I liked.

Of course, the origin of this specific character comes from me thinking on my feet in another thread. I hadn't really thought about it up 'til then. I just liked the mild pun.

(By the way, if you click on the link, Lost Elph was the one who directed me here. That's how she knows I use the name everywhere.)

Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  08:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, to explain my name. well, in many a place I've been known as Cerberus also known as Kerberos, and there's a long story to that name, but inappropriate for here seeing as I'm not using it due to the fact that it's rather inappropriate for FR and best seen elsewhere in another universe. This name however came to me during some of my ramblings in my own language of which noone, including myself seems to understand. it's something that just kinda rolled off my tounge one day and I decided I liked it so it's now in use by me and I believe it to be an original one at that. My full name would be Karesch Tragor-Dragnoch pronounced (caps as hard sounds, lower case as soft sounds) (K-a-rrr-esh (rolled r) TR-a-G-or DR-a-G-no-k) for all you who aren't sure, however I prefer only to be known and called by my first name as the rest is a mouthful. Like I said the name is purely of my own ramblings and I can honestly say it has no outside influence (something I've often wondered about because it just seems a bit oddish to me) I haven't wandered much of the realms yet, for I'm still a young (21) half elf thats only getting his adventuring career off the ground as a lvl 8 Ftr. I have banded with some close compatriots a ranger, cleric of pelor, and a wizardess, all of whom are overseeing the initial arrangements to get our mutually owned keep off the ground. hopefully to be completed in the next year and a half or less. it's located about 40 miles from baldurs gate in the sticks, but if your ever out and need somewhere to have a brew or take a nights rest feel free to join me, when it's complete the barrels of brew will never run dry. as for my avatar, I hope to change it to something of my own creation soon, better representing my not so dashing rough looks, but this one works for now. *looks around embarrassedly* well, it seems I've talked everyones ear off, so I'll shut up now and have another pint...

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think all understand why i call my self what i do
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  06:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since I suck at comming up with original names and at the time I joined as a member I wanted to set myself apart from the rest sooo... I chose a character of an anime which I admire which is LINA INVERSE!!! Secretly, if I had the chance, I'd become her in an instant if I was in whisked away to somewhere like Faerun.

She's an intelligent, witty and powerful sorceress that uses dark magic for purposes that benefit humankind as well as her money pouch. Well known by the people of her land and feared by her enemies they also call her Bandit Killer and Dragon Spooker.

As for my avatar, well as you can plainly see that is Lina Inverse herself.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  06:58:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what Lina said. I just took a name I liked from an existing literary work namely Frank Herbert's Dune series.

It comes from Paul Muad'Dib, or usul, the base of the pillar and the seed of the Kwisatz Haderach.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  07:20:04  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal Deimos came from several various incarnations begining with
Lord Deimos on B.net for diablo ages ago. Time does little to lessen the love of the Name Deimos but after seeing a dozen or so pretenders to Lord Deimos I tried other things, Count, Baron, other noble titles (King and Emperor while kewl were just too prideful even for me) so I decided that Nobility is not the only way to go. So like Nobles of the Dark ages I appointed myself a holy rank as well. no longer simply Lord Deimos I became Cardinal Deimos.... Of course Lord Cardinal Deimos has a nice ring, it might simply be too much...
The Avatar though well.... In the words of Xellos: " That is a secret!"

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Layton Mij
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2003 :  22:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Layton Mij's Homepage Send Layton Mij a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story of my name is a little sad, I don't mean sad as in boo hoo just sad as in sad.

My first ever venture into roleplaying some 19-20 years ago. I was told I had to come up with a name for my character and could not think of anything, ( you know when you have that mind blank thing) I started looking all around for inspiration and my eyes settled on a poster on the wall of the football( Soccer for all you Americans)club Aberdeen and Jim Leighton the goalkeeper I changed the spelling of the surname made that my first name and reversed the spelling of his christian name and made that my surname.
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  21:25:11  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name came from the most powerful of my characters when I used to do live role playing. He was a prince of the wood Elves no less. I chose the avatar because it was the only light Elf to pick- the Drow are so done too death. Also I have always thought that Elves were cool

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  10:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name is the name of my first non-existent FR-character. I have used the name in a couple of the FR computer games, but...

Adrian is an old hero-name (probably from the greek, Hadrian). I wanted to give him the hero-ish style. I decided that I wanted him to be a half-(moon)elf ranger. So Moonbow had an elven ring to it while also being ranger-like. He doesn't have an avatar for the obvious reason: I don't know how he looks! He hasn't been created yet, he's only in my head (that came out wrong ).

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  01:36:22  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im a Bard....

The RogueAssassin

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:06:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using the name Wooly Rupert in a couple of different places for a while... The name comes, obviously, from the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, feared by spelljamming tinker gnomes everywhere.

I chose that name because it was a silly name from a skewy concept, and because it's obscure enough that few would recognize it.

I am known elsewhere as Sheepy. I was long ago dubbed "Sheepdog" by my supposed peers because of a long-lasting bad hair day. I eventually adopted the name for myself, and it was later shortened to Sheepy.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been using the name Wooly Rupert in a couple of different places for a while... The name comes, obviously, from the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, feared by spelljamming tinker gnomes everywhere.

I chose that name because it was a silly name from a skewy concept, and because it's obscure enough that few would recognize it.

It's not as obscure as you think. While I also remember it from the Spelljammer setting, there are at least (as far as I can remember) three references to the Giant Space Hamster in some of the 2e Dragonlance material. I think it was also mentioned in a DL novel as well.

Tinker gnomes really are curious creatures . . .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am known elsewhere as Sheepy. I was long ago dubbed "Sheepdog" by my supposed peers because of a long-lasting bad hair day. I eventually adopted the name for myself, and it was later shortened to Sheepy.

In Scottish accent: "That ne'er be a poochie!"

Now how's that for an obscure joke, eh? (At least, in these parts.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:36:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

It's not as obscure as you think. While I also remember it from the Spelljammer setting, there are at least (as far as I can remember) three references to the Giant Space Hamster in some of the 2e Dragonlance material. I think it was also mentioned in a DL novel as well.

Tinker gnomes really are curious creatures . . .

Ah, but to the internet at large, it's obscure. Until I used the name on the WotC forums (before I was banned, of course) and then on here, only a couple of people had ever recognized it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose I should take a little time to detail the origin of my user name.

Unless you're familiar with the Ravenloft setting, the name: Lady Kazandra, won't mean much to you.

She is a human, or rather was. She's a vampire now (was), and leader (general) of the Kargat. The Kargat is a cell-based organisation composed of lycanthropes and other kinds of shapechangers. They serve the Darklord Azalin - through his undead forces - as a secret police force that keeps the population of Darkon firmly within his grasp. There's a lot more to the history of this evil organisation, but the main reason I use it, is because she is (was) one of Rastromo Meradoc's (otherwise known as the Sage) main antagonists during his earlier days as a monster hunter/loremaster (Rastromo took the place of Van Richten in most of the Sage's RL games).

They've met several times in several campaigns (this was before Rastromo was retired in-game, to eventually became an NPC), and they often had a love/hate relationship before she became a vampire. In the end however, the Sage was responsible for finally putting his lady love to rest, and eradicating the vampire scourge of Darkon for all time.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:57:06  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erm... I don't particularly like hiding behind made-up monickers, so my name is basically my name.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  10:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who says we're hiding?. It's just a change of pace, a chance to allow one's imagination to run wild .

Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  11:48:47  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never said the rest of you were hiding... I just said that I wasn't.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000