Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  13:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, I was just kidding around .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Unless you're familiar with the Ravenloft setting, the name: Lady Kazandra, won't mean much to you.

Actually, I was going to comment on that when you arrived, since I am a huge fan of Ravenloft, but something else warranted my attention, so I never asked...

As for my name, it's derived from my campaign. Tsabrak Teken'ghym, my character, was known in Menzoberranzan as an assassin called "The Shadowlord." Simple, yet it has a dual meaning. Vhaeraun is known as either the Shadow, or the Shadow Lord, so the name Shadowlord implies that I worship Vhaeraun. Don't know if anyone caught that, seeing as I hadn't enlightened everyone to the wonders of Vhaeraun when I first arrived.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 27 Apr 2004 20:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  21:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I was thinking that your name was Cassandra, and you'd just fantasized it for the forum and/or a campaign. Still, I think I like this one better. It certainly fits with Sage.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  21:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You are talking to Lady Kazandra, and not me, correct Bookwyrm?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  22:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, of course I am. And here I figured it was obvious.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  07:15:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just because he's a drow, that he can't see the obvious...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  16:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Ahem* I did understand, hence the winking () smiley. Thou dare mock the drow, gnome?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Veszaun Auvryath
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  22:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Veszaun Auvryath's Homepage Send Veszaun Auvryath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, suppose I can jump on the bandwagon, though I've not submitted my Avatar pic as of yet....

Anyway, I consulted the Drow Name Generator from Dragon Magazine (don't remember the number off-hand), and found some meanings I liked.

One translation of Auvryath is Blood of Dragons. Took that because this character was supposed to be a Sorcerer rather than a wizard, but haven't squeezed that in yet.

Vesz'aun was chosen for its tranlsation of Blood Dancer, a moniker he took on after becoming a Bladesinger. Fitting enough, methinks. His real name is Krenaste, just seemed too blah, so had him take on a new name to fit his new status.

Now, I suppose I should be off to submit that Avatar

"You scoff at the notion of a drow Bladesinger? My, my. How very foolish of you to believe that the Ilythiiri did not possess the secrets of the Bladesong in ages long past. A select few of us have carried a twisted rendition of the 'Song down through the generations. Now, bearing that in mind, will you wipe that ridiculous look of incredulity from your face, or must the keen edge of my blade do it for you?"
Go to Top of Page

Xullrae Zauviir
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  18:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Xullrae Zauviir's Homepage Send Xullrae Zauviir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing orginal here:

Both Xull'rae's names, her first and last was taken from the Drow of the Underdark by Ed Greenwood, from the names list provided.

The irony is that the Zauviir name has gone through many changes in various books, even novels now, that I'm no longer sure of its orgin.

The further irony is, later after I created her and chose her name. Vesz'aun was created a month afterward using the names from the dragon magazine he had. For fun I had him look up Xull'rae, here is what we found:
Xull means; Blooded, crimson, or ruby
Xull'rae has coppery colored hair..basically a red head. She has a vile temper and usually resorts to violence..and she has a weakness for gems.

rae means; Secret, seeker, quest
She has a secret and because of this secret she has to go on a quest to seek a cure.

I found this very creepy that I picked a name that hit my character in a perfect match before I knew what it meant. That's an origin for ya!

Live spelled backwards is evil. Doesn't that mean that there is a measure of evil in everyone? Perhaps it was the god's hidden joke, but why are you scoffing that I admit I'm evil? At least I'm not slaughtering innocents and saying it's good and right. No matter how you look at it, it's still murder and therefore evil. Deep down, you are no better than I am. The only difference is that I may lie to others, but not to myself! ~Xull'rae Zauviir
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  08:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phantom Lord is a very, very **bleep** song by my favourite band: Metallica.

Ponka! Kaddu!

Edited by - Tethtoril on 18 Jun 2004 15:25:58
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  11:37:51  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I struggled over an avatar for these boards - my one for the WotC boards was shrouded in purple (my fave colour and one I associate with Sarelle), and so skin colour couldn't be determined. The problem with Sarelle is she is a drow ith black hair. So the WotC avatar was great.

Here I originally had one of Graz'zt - a) because I was fed up of being mistaken for a girl (back to that, now. Ah well!) b) I like Graz'zt.

But lord Rad had it, and I like being original, so I re-scanned the avatars and found my current one, which apart from being very egyptian lichy, is somewhat how I imagine the form Sarelle takes when she casts alter form. Plus no one else has it!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Juniphy
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  22:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Juniphy's Homepage Send Juniphy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a little break with Puff the Magic Dragon one day and it just came to me like a gift from the gods.

As for the avatar, it's Haer'dalis from BG2. That's one cool tiefling bard that wouldn't mind joining me in a little herbal heaven.

I listen to songs in languages I don't understand
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  04:06:41  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine Alac Luin is just me mispelling names from DotU Alak Luen.

An old char of mine, he has a sister Alystin who is a Cleric of Elistraee.

My Avatar represents, um, wait, I don't have an avatar.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  10:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Well met, AlacLuin.....erm, Alak Luen !?

If thee wishes to have thy name changed, then please feel free to contact me.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  23:31:58  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Well met, AlacLuin.....erm, Alak Luen !?

If thee wishes to have thy name changed, then please feel free to contact me.

At this time, I do not remember if my misspelling was intentional or not (I swear this is how I spelled it on my original char sheet)
But I am known elsewhere with my current spelling.
Thank thee for the offer. :Gracious Nod:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000