Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  22:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Oh, okay, thanks. (Interesting that your first post would be an answer to a question like that. )

Thanks because it isnt his actual first post, Hendrindar IS Rekindin, at least thats what his profile gives him away as!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  22:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Drizzt has a brother?! Where is it said?

It says it in the Dark Elf Trilogy. The books when Drizzt is still living in Menzo with his family.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Hendrindar
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  23:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Hendrindar's Homepage Send Hendrindar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks because it isnt his actual first post, Hendrindar IS Rekindin, at least thats what his profile gives him away as!!
[/quote]

I beg your pardon...I would never have an association with a creature like that(yes i read the issue with skullport) Bookwyrm help me with this.....

"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  06:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With what?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  07:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my name directly from the "Drow of the Underdark' supplement. When I created her, I made her an exiled second daughter of a ruling house and I wanted something that would kind of roll off your tounge when you said the name. Even though the last name isn't a noble house name, none of the combinations I tried sounded as cool to me as Yasraena T'Sarran. Now I couldn't think of calling her anything else. As far as the avatar goes, it was the closest to what she actually looks like.

Alaundo - you need more avatars! (Or make it so we can use a custom one.)

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  08:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's been talked about. Alaundo says we can submit our own. Look here for more.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Baron Sengir
Acolyte

Turkey
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  09:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Baron Sengir's Homepage Send Baron Sengir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know any of you interested in Magic The Gathering."Baron Sengir" is one of the most powerful vampires in Magic.He was made of black magic(for the ones interested in magic but not know him,had a casting cost of 5C,2Black,5/5,flying,tap:regenerate target vampire, Baron Sengir gets +2/+2 permenantly for each creature he kills,summon Legend)I liked the character so gave his name to me.teh avatar is the vampire I liked so....

If you were a dream,I would sleep forever...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  16:32:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sadonayerah Odrydin

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Drizzt has a brother?! Where is it said?

It says it in the Dark Elf Trilogy. The books when Drizzt is still living in Menzo with his family.

I don't remember at all. Maybe it's a part they didn't translate in french, or maybe it's me. Anyway i bought the US version.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  20:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, they would have had to. Drizzt is the secondboy of House Do'Urden, but the third-born. At the start, Matron Malice is going into labor as Drizzt is being born, and she is using her pain to fuel her magic as she tries to destroy another house. She has also promised Lloth that she will sacrifice a son to her if she will look on Do'Urden with favor that night. At the end, Drizzt is born, but before he is killed, his eldest brother is stabbed in the back by his other brother. A son is sacrificed, and Drizzt is still alive.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  23:38:07  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i remember... It was son long ago!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:27:58  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my name is not a name of one of my characters, but it is a common screen name I use. It is from Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock. There are two soul sucking swords made from chaos. One is named Stormbringer, and the other is named Mournblade. Both blades are thick black broadswords, with Blood red runes going down the blade. Of course the drawback is that one is never really the master of the sword, becasue the sword gets very very hungry. It especially delights in eating the souls of the wielder's lovers or friends. Ofcourse this is a minor price to pay, as the wielder gets LOTS of strenght transferred for each soul the sword eats.

If you have played WHITE PLUME MOUNTAIN... the original S2 module, BLACKRAZOR the sword at the end, is based upon Stormbringer.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:30:32  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and I chose the Avatar because Fzoul Chembryl is one of the greatest villains in the realms. Something VERY Darth Vader about him. Ok Cyric, but you have to do X,Y, and Z to keep me working for you...

What clerics can tell gods that give them spells to go shovel?

Fzoul can!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prizes for guessing where my name came from! (Im not sure wither or not i like Mr Weavings (SP?) Adaption of Elrond...) And my Avatar, well despite being frightened easily i love Dark, Gothic fantasy (I havent yet run a ravenloft campaign but i am itching to), also when i first saw the avatar i didny realise that he had a face!
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:49:32  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Elrond was a full Elf?!
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  18:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Elrond is a half elf, his mother was Elwing (sp?) if my memory serves me right. And his father was Earendil.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  19:03:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elrond is half elven, but he made a choice to change to a full elf. When the age closed the Valar gave him the choice to merge with the elves, or merge with the men. He chose the elves. His brother Elros chose the men, and he was one of the leading kings of Numenor.

(all of this can be found in the Silmarillion, though exactly where in the book it mentions this I cannot remember.

Go to Top of Page

The wise mongoose
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2003 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Visit The wise mongoose's Homepage Send The wise mongoose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elrond was a half elf. His mother was Elwing an elf who when she cast herself into the ocean to save the simaril, Ulmo transformed her into a swan. Elrond's father was a human named Earendil who sailed to valinor to plead for all the free peoples of middle earth. Since he was the only human to set foot on the undying lands manwe gave him a choice to remain human or join his wife and be numbered among elvin kin. He choose to be elven, therefore both Elrond's parents where elven, and when the lords of the Valinor came to save middle earth elrond and his brother were given the choice to become fully elven or fully human. Elrond choose elven and his brother whos name I cant remember choose human. All this can be found in chapter 24 of the Silmarillion "Of the voyage of Earendil and the war of wrath".

As for my name. Haha! This will only add to the weirdo reputation that I started on the welcome thread.
Now this is a completly true story my girlfriend could tell you. One night I don't know if I woke up and did this or simply did it in my sleep, but my girlfriend came over the next morning and woke me up. In my hand i was clutching a peice of paper ripped out of my notebook. On it was written a poem about a mongoose which I wont put here in full. Partially because it is long and partially cause it is not my greatest work. (its actually somewhat silly) Well she told my buddies and my buddies started calling me that, so I simply embraced the name head on. And now everyone calls me that and all my characters on games are named mongoose. There you have it, color me insane im proud to be a differect shade.

As for my avatar my characters are always rogues or theifs. And while this is supposed to be a demon according to the register set up. I think it works well for a theif.
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2003 :  02:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! You woke a poem in your sleep? That sounds like fun. I'll have to try that myself.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2003 :  11:15:05  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's a good reason tho keep your pseudo!
You should send your poem to Mongoose production

Edited by - zemd on 07 Apr 2003 11:15:25
Go to Top of Page

Darwin_Tenderfoot
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  04:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Darwin_Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin_Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my name from one of my Halfling characters. I always got out of every situation with this character so I decided to use the name I came up with forever ago.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  08:06:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darwin_Tenderfoot

I got my name from one of my Halfling characters. I always got out of every situation with this character so I decided to use the name I came up with forever ago.

Darwin

Such a name could only come from a halfing (or a Kender )
Go to Top of Page

Darwin_Tenderfoot
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  02:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Darwin_Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin_Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zemd: You are right, that is why I picked it. I thought about playing a kender once but my dm wouldnt let me.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  02:54:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darwin that just may be because Kender are VERMIN!

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  04:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

Darwin that just may be because Kender are VERMIN!

Come on, Mournblade . . . Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  11:53:39  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darwin_Tenderfoot

Zemd: You are right, that is why I picked it. I thought about playing a kender once but my dm wouldnt let me.

Darwin

I played a Kender once... I was jumping from a Griffon to a White Dragon when the White Dragon opened his mouth
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  04:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malice's name is Malice, because I created his personality to make him a totaly anti violence person. he is a peacemaker at heart, and i just saw the iorny as amusing. The avatar is a custom one that I made that came out just the way I was hoping it would.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  15:30:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The origin for the Sage of Perth, came from the basis that I live in a city called Perth in Australia, and I like to think of myself as a great Sage of knowledge, for the city of Perth. It was a play on the aspect that Elminster is the Sage of Shadowdale, and at the time, I liked the idea.

The Sage basically represents a being of pure psionic energy housed in a physical form, (that of a grumbling old Wizard(Loremaster)/Archmage/Arch Psion of considerable ability) from another material plane, born again on Faerun many thousands of years ago, in a time before the Dragons ruled the lands. There is much more to his history, but I have used the Sage to shape a lot of my own FR campaign history, so there is simply too much to detail here.

And as for my avatar choice - I chose this basically to annoy Bookwyrm just kidding - I chose this avatar because it seemed the most sagely icon in the avatar lists, and it accurately portrayed how I saw the Sage of Perth to be.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jun 2003 08:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  02:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The origin of the name Edain Shadowstar predates my D&D careers by about three years, back when I was working on creating my own fantasy world in junior high school. In any case when I started D&D I created my original character, Edain Shadowstar, an elven wizard and modeled him after the Edain from my personal fantasy world. In the Realms, Edain was born a scant few millennia after the Elves migrated to the Realms. He has lived for a very logn time and seen most of the world (and the multiverse). He is one of the foremost practitioners of the magical arts (to give you perspective when Karsus was a 41st level Arcanist, Edain was a 50th level Wizard) and has long worked to advance the art. Since then Edain has been a character in many other RPGs, on the table and the computer.

Now, as some might have noticed I do not have an avatar, this is because they do not load my my browser for some reason...and I still have not figured it out (not that I care that much).

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Bookwyrm grumbles a bit at the Sage, then looks around with mild surprise.]

Last I checked, this scroll wasn't in this chamber! I guess Alaundo's doing some reshelving. I wonder why he didn't move the original scroll, though, the one that I referred to when I started this one?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:46:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edain, if you need any help with the browser problem, whether it be a technical problem or software conflict, I am willing to try and discover the problem with you. If your interested just let me know what is basically happening when you try to access your chosen avatar. Maybe I can assist you.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000