Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Origin of Members' Names (take two)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  18:34:28  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I was talking about Quenya. Oh well, it was just a guess, like I said.

Oops!

Sorry Bookwyrm I should have thought about it a little more carefully before I replied oh noble scribe.

My apologies for besmirching the reputation of your prodigious intellect. You are correct Tal does indeed translate to "foot" or "run". However "arta" has a different meaning as well as "lis".

I guess lately I have been so busy maintaining my many fortresses that I have been rushed into premature responses.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me oh great and learned Dragon.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  18:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
You are correct Tal does indeed translate to "foot" or "run".

Ah, good, I wasn't completely positive about that . . . .

quote:

However "arta" has a different meaning as well as "lis".

Well, one out of three isn't bad . . . . Considering I normally wouldn't know a Quenya phrase unless we were properly introduced . . . .

quote:

My apologies for besmirching the reputation of your prodigious intellect.

If you lay that on any thicker, you're going to need a diet . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

enchantedgoblin
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2003 :  21:28:49  Show Profile  Visit enchantedgoblin's Homepage Send enchantedgoblin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose the name enchanted goblin because I feel that goblins are a persecuted race and I think they should not be forgotten (or thrown into slavery). I also think that given a chance, goblins can learn to live more civilized and even contribute positively to society. Anyway, I chose this avatar because it was the only goblin avatar from the list.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2003 :  10:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm scratches his head as he pages through yet another tome.

Artalis, I must confess to confusion. The word arta I found rather quickly, but lis not only took some searching, it also does not match the first. Fort/fortress/stronghold doesn't seem to go with sweetness/honey, to my mind . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2003 :  13:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you cant figure out where ny name is from i consider you an illiterate fool and do not deserve to be a scholar.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2003 :  14:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Bookwyrm sends a snort of derision Vlad's way.]

Normally I would take dire exception to your tone, vampire, but in this case I shall let it slide. Namely for the reason that I would indeed be guilty of your accusation had I been unaware of Vlad Tepes. (Son of Vlad II Dracul, grandson of Vlad I, brother to Mircea and Radu. Born 1431 AD, died 1476. Nicknamed "the Impaler" due to his favored method of execution, impalement upon wooden stakes -- a practice not all that uncommon in history.)

Satisfied, Mr. Tepes? I did say that obvious names need not apply, you know.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 28 Feb 2003 14:11:21
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2003 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I chose this avatar because it represents my favorite character in the Realms: Midnight

Well, that makes me a bit of an intruder, I guess.
That that I was meaning to be one Apparently we share the same favorite character! When I got introduced to Faerun, she has been my favorite character from the beginning.
The avatar you chose is from the cover of Shadowdale, isn't it? Didn't it bother you a bit that her hair appears to be brown there? It bothered me a bit, because I visualised her with ravenblack hair.

That's why I chose an avatar with black hair. Maybe a bit weird, but well, this avatar resembles the representation of Midnight best for me of the available avatars. Funny how different an idea of appearance can be. In my own drawings and paintings she doesn't look like the Midnight on , for example, the cover of Shadowdale at all.

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.

Edited by - MidNight on 02 Mar 2003 19:32:53
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2003 :  12:30:51  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not from Shadowdale, it's from Waterdeep.
And the picture of Midnight from the cover of shadowdale is ugly
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2003 :  19:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I got my name from my boss who makes me sit in the dark recesses of his library cataloging everything.

A bit like that scribe of Candlekeep.

The Curator

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  11:41:28  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not from Shadowdale, it's from Waterdeep.

Of course, zemd You're right!
Talking about being confused..
But maybe I was because this picture doesn't mach my imagination either.

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  06:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name came right from my head. I'm not a person to copy from other places to get a name. I have come up with some really strange names. Just ask Sadon or Elph.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  04:51:11  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm scratches his head as he pages through yet another tome.

Artalis, I must confess to confusion. The word arta I found rather quickly, but lis not only took some searching, it also does not match the first. Fort/fortress/stronghold doesn't seem to go with sweetness/honey, to my mind . . . .

Congratulations on your most excellent research skills. You are correct. It was actually somewhat of a trick question, (sorry I had forgotten, )

The suffix lis in his name given to him by his mother would have meant "many" in reference to the many fortresses she stayed in while bearing him. Except for one problem... the suffix is actually a prefix so if she hadn't spoken only broken Quenya she would have known that his name actually would turn out to be closer to your original guess of "traveller"

As a matter of fact the elves that he grew up with all took for granted that his name meant Ar (noble)talis(traveller/walker). So on that mark you were always right. I should have given it too you sooner but I was hoping you would find the other original meaning, which you did.

She was originally from Minas Tirith and due to threats on her life she was forced to journey westward staying in several strongholds inbetween legs of the journey. She was no scholar though and had a very inaccurate memory of the High Tongue. She ended up in Rivendell eventually and that is where Artalis was raised.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  06:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm closes the dusty tomes and begins to put them back on the shelves, trying to keep them in the same order he found them in.

Ah, good. I wasn't sure . . . I was reaching the end of my lingusitic skills . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Creataceous
Acolyte

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  22:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Creataceous's Homepage Send Creataceous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The origins of Creataceous ;

At university (studied enginering) I was awarded the nickname 'creature' by my compatriots. I altered this to creataceous a few years ago to represent my aging to an ancient being (where the creataceous epoch would be the period over which I have been aware, kind of a spin off from the Cretaceous period of history).

The avatar? I liked it because it looked cool. I also kinda like the night (and am currently attempting to seduce a friend of mine away from the light, her nickname is child of the light) and skulking around in the shadows alot.

Cheers all,

Creature
--------
Age does not always progenate experience, which does not always birth wisdom.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  13:31:56  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

Congratulations on your most excellent research skills. You are correct. It was actually somewhat of a trick question, (sorry I had forgotten, )

The suffix lis in his name given to him by his mother would have meant "many" in reference to the many fortresses she stayed in while bearing him. Except for one problem... the suffix is actually a prefix so if she hadn't spoken only broken Quenya she would have known that his name actually would turn out to be closer to your original guess of "traveller"

As a matter of fact the elves that he grew up with all took for granted that his name meant Ar (noble)talis(traveller/walker). So on that mark you were always right. I should have given it too you sooner but I was hoping you would find the other original meaning, which you did.

She was originally from Minas Tirith and due to threats on her life she was forced to journey westward staying in several strongholds inbetween legs of the journey. She was no scholar though and had a very inaccurate memory of the High Tongue. She ended up in Rivendell eventually and that is where Artalis was raised.

That's what i call looking for a name!
Go to Top of Page

Ox
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  01:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Ox's Homepage Send Ox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, some of the people at my work and some of my friends call me Ox.

Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  19:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name has been changed. My name's origin is from my skull.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me while I put on my Intelligent Face and say "Huh?"

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  22:08:52  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand a damn thing of what you just wrote!
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  22:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zemd, Bookwym, If your refering to Trafaldi's previous post, allow me (cause I asked him the same thing).

He made it up. He just sat down one day and said, "Hey, Trafaldi is a cool name."

Thats where it came from. He is also writing a book in which the main characters name is Trafaldi. His previous post would make him sound a horrible writter, but his book is acually quite decent.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  10:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh -- he's just saying skull instead of head. Could have said so . . . .

Hey, what's this book about? If you can't talk about it here, email me.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies if you did not understand what I had said in my earlier post, but it was a play on words if you did not get that.

And I may post a few things on my book when I get more of it figured out in my "skull".

Edited by - Trafaldi on 18 Mar 2003 14:19:10
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  18:56:17  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood your post, but not Bookwyrm's one.

Trafaldi makes me think of Trafalgar Square in London
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really think of anything but that is kind of funny.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understood your post, but not Bookwyrm's one.

Don't worry, Zemd, you're not missing anything important. It was just a way of saying I was confused -- which was because I thought he was writing in-character. Just a misconception.

Go to Top of Page

Rekindin
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  02:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Rekindin's Homepage Send Rekindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my atavar and name are simple, made the name up, and did'nt want to use the only drow male atavar so i used the next best thing a shade(i think it looks somewhat like Dinnin)

Please let me be your good part of your day
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  18:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's a Dinnin?

Go to Top of Page

Hendrindar
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  20:40:03  Show Profile  Visit Hendrindar's Homepage Send Hendrindar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hes refering to Drizzt Do'urdens brother Dinnin.....

"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  20:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay, thanks. (Interesting that your first post would be an answer to a question like that. )

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  21:22:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt has a brother?! Where is it said?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000