Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Khelben and the Moonstars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:48:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From Ed's 2006 scroll --

First Wooly -

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

Thanks for the info regarding the prestige class. But, I find it prudent to comment. The whole idea of the Harper Schism seems a bit contrived to me.

Having worked with Khelben for so long and knowing who and what he is, wouldn't Harper leadership be a lot more lenient and ask him to explain his actions, knowing that he would never do anything to endanger the organization or its members?

It's especially strange that Bran Skorlsun would be against him. Isn't that just a little bit ungrateful, considering Khelben had a major hand in saving his daughter? Surely he and others would have more faith in Khelben than that...

Bran and Khelben haven't gotten along with each other for many, many years... As the book says, Bran saw evidence of treason, and because of his dislike of Khelben, didn't bother to look any further.

And when the Harper tribunal asked Khelben about what he had done -- which was, remember, giving a powerful artifact to the leader of group that's the Harpers' biggest enemy -- he refused to explain himself, and resigned. Then he sealed Blackstaff Tower against the Harpers...

Yes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism. His actions that caused the Schism, and the actions since, easily look like the actions of a traitor -- especially if that's what you want to see, or if you've no reason to believe otherwise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:55:07

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:50:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then me -

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism. His actions that caused the Schism, and the actions since, easily look like the actions of a traitor -- especially if that's what you want to see, or if you've no reason to believe otherwise.

Aye... this is a very important point when considering the actions of Khelben with regard to the formation of the Moonstars. It tells us a great deal about his internal motivations and how, on the whole, he sees the Realms.

I'd never say that Khelben is an extremely arrogant individual, but his choices regarding the Scepter and the creation of the Moonstars tells us that he may be following a path that only he can interpret -- or a pre-defined plan of sorts, and that he sees his actions as wholly necessary. For him, at least... and maybe those closest to him, Laeral for example, the end WILL justify the means he's undertaken to get to where ever the purpose of the Moonstars lead.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:55:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:51:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then Steven -

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Aye... this is a very important point when considering the actions of Khelben with regard to the formation of the Moonstars. It tells us a great deal about his internal motivations and how, on the whole, he sees the Realms.

I'd never say that Khelben is an extremely arrogant individual,

Funny--I would.

quote:
but his choices regarding the Scepter and the creation of the Moonstars tells us that he may be following a path that only he can interpret -- or a pre-defined plan of sorts, and that he sees his actions as wholly necessary. For him, at least... and maybe those closest to him, Laeral for example, the end WILL justify the means he's undertaken to get to where ever the purpose of the Moonstars lead.

And The Sage wins the poorly-stuffed Otyugh doll!

Remember that this is a guy who's personally very committed to the Harpers and its cause--his parents were among the Harpers in Twilight and it's partially a need to see their works continue. He's also helped refound the order at least twice. The fact that he seems to be working at odds with the Harpers should

A) tell you something about how he feels about the current Harper leadership;
B) tell you that he may be manipulating them into reacting in particular ways to get them into positions they might not normally take (even without realizing that Khelben's manipulating them); and
C) reveal that a 910-year-old wizard has many irons in the fire at once and if he stopped to explain himself, it might upset 8 other plans and intrigues he has going at once.

And despite all that above, it doesn't tell you anything more about what's to come in BLACKSTAFF, as the Harper Schism doesn't play a role in the story, save as background detail of a minor sort.

Steven
who has to better learn how to keep his mouth shut like Eddie...

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:57:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:52:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then Wooly again -

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

Yes, Khelben is a powerful archmage and Mystra's Chosen, so it's obvious he can vaguely see into the future and is attempting to manipulate events so the Realms are prepared for whatever he sees, which must be dire indeed for him to make a deal with the Zhentarim.

It's not as much seeing into the future as it is inferring something from what he's read. From page 26 of Cloak & Dagger:

quote:
Few realized that he’s been obsessed with some great threats since the Year of the Laughing Swan (816 DR). While under an assumed name and in his seventh year as a cloistered monk at Candlekeep, Khelben discovered some dire threat within Alaundo's Prophecies and began planning contingencies to thwart it. (Laeral sometimes wonders if he did not have some prophetic flashes himself, for she has read the Prophecies as well, and does not see what Khelben says he saw.) Among the contingencies are his and Elminster’s constant shepherding of the Harpers as a group to combat the threat, but over time, this group slipped out of Khelhen’s control, and he had yet to build the group he felt he needed.

And as much as I enjoy discussing Khelben and the Moonstars, this is Ed's scroll. Perhaps we should take this to a new scroll?

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:58:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:53:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Dargoth's -

quote:
quote:
Yes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism.

Id consider Blakcstaff to be the least trust worthy of Mystras chosen and rember Khelbans LN so he doesnt strive for the common "Good". Good when it comes to the Blackstaff is defined as "Those causes I deem to be right and correct" he doesnt strive for the common good. Infact id probably argue that Khelbans Alignment should have shifted to TN after his deal with Fzoul and his dealing with the Vampire he let into the Moonstars.

Im willing to bet that Lord Piergion isnt aware of what Blacstaffs been up to in the last decade or so, Id say it would be highly likely that Piergion would boot Khelban out of Waterdeep if he ever found out that Blackstaff had made a deal with Fzoul the chosen of Bane (The Chosen of Piergions deities sworn enemy) and that he had on going dealings with a CE Vampire.

Sure Piergion might be abit more layed back that your typical Paladin but Im there are limits even for a tolerant paladin!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*chuckle*

This thread almost makes it look like youve got Multiple personalites disorder Sage!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Jan 2006 01:04:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  01:00:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye .

Anything that prompts Steven to talk more about Khelben and the Moonstars is always good in my book!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 01:02:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  02:41:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see his dealings with vampires to be a mark of an alignment shift... One of the vampires was a former Harper, remember. The other one may be evil, but even an evil being can still do good -- or be used for good ends.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  03:19:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The end justifies the means?

Granting alignment rules hold many problems, as do rules concerning getting evil subtype by becoming undead. There remains the general discussion of aiding an Evil force for now to achieve a greater good later. Does the how matter and is the good that great?

There are historical examples in many points in history that appear to indicate that the means to the end was not in fact a greater good, though the winners claimed such was fact.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  03:23:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that dealing with a vampire is a sign of Khelbun being Khelbun . . . while he is working for the greater good, he himself thinks that he can employ those who might not be paragons of virtue to accomplish these aims. I also think that Khelbun really does want the world to be "good" himself, but he has seen too many things and knows too many secrets to let himself think of himself as good. He can get his hands dirty to make sure that the world ends up better for his deeds, but I think he has a sort of sad resignation about the fact that he may have to do things to make a better world that those who are good that later benefit from his ministrations may look at him and abhor what he has done to acheive their better world.

In a way, I think this is what draws Khelbun to Laeral. Somehow, Laeral has seen many of the horrors and been exposed to many of the things that he has been, but she stays optimistic, and she still maintains a brighter countenace, if you will, than Khelbun does, and it keeps him from perhaps teetering into that dark pit of going one step too far, perhaps just saying the hell with it and taking over those places that are too stubborn to manipulate, or to slow to change.

And Laeral, for her part, I think knows that some of what Khelbun does is necissary, but the rest she either deals with, or she tries to temper, because she isn't quite as blind to the darkness that is done as she might wish she was, but she knows that her careful care of Khelbun does keep him from falling off that edge, and she knows Khelbun, for all of his infuriating pride and need to control and manipulate, is very important to the world, and even more important to makes sure that he stays on the right side of any coming storms.

But that's just my take. YEARS ago my players' PCs ended up working for these two quite often, so I spent a lot of time thinking about them and their motivations, and my old PCs likely would have been tempted to have joined the Moonstars, were the campaign still active at the time Cloak and Dagger came out.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  03:46:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see his dealings with vampires to be a mark of an alignment shift... One of the vampires was a former Harper, remember.

Aye.

Manshaka. Though he's a LE vampire (and as Wooly said, a former deepcover Harper agent before he died by the bite from a vampire) it should be noted that since rising as a vampire, he has recommitted himself to Khelben and continues to serve his goals through the Moonstars.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  03:59:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackstaff will give everyone a far greater insight into our friend Khelben and highlight how he's a very, very long-term thinker. Stuff done today becomes better to understand once a couple of decades have passed and other factors have fallen into place.

As for Laeral, after the Crown of Horns incident she is far less rigid in her thinking re good and evil (as noted in "Seven Sisters") and she's not afraid now to get 'down and dirty', which is most easily showcased by her activities in Skullport. She complements Khelben - she doesn't rein him in or keep him on the straight and narrow path - and more importantly trusts him implicitly and believes and supports him when he says that something must be done (even if he doesn't say "why"). Sure, he frustrates the heck out of her too on occasion, but he does that to everyone.

Can't wait for Blackstaff to hit the shelves.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  04:18:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me amend thusly . . . as far as how I portrayed them, its not that Laeral would ever undermine Khelbun's plans. And the way I utilized them, Learal was the one that would mollify the PCs that got upset with Khelbun's latest mechanation that landed them deep in the . . . er . . . in trouble, and was the one that soothed them into working for the Blackstaff again (which, of course, is what Khelbun counted on in the first place, knowing to play this as good cop/bad cop). Laeral was also the one that would show them a bit more of the big picture than Khelbun was willing to let them know about, so that they at least had an idea about why they had just risked their lives, etc. on his behalf.

Honestly, I can't explain how much fun I had portraying Khelbun. My biggest regret is that my gaming group broke up before Cloak and Dagger came out, and my current campaign is set in Mistledale, thus I have less of an excuse to use him (though I have gotten a bit better at utilizing Storm this time around).

I am really looking forward to Blackstaff. I also liked Steven's comment about Khelbun's breaking off might be part of his manipulating the Harpers to change in ways he wanted them too as well. Wheels within wheels indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see his dealings with vampires to be a mark of an alignment shift... One of the vampires was a former Harper, remember. The other one may be evil, but even an evil being can still do good -- or be used for good ends.

I do

Kelbhan has willingly allowed 2 Vampires into his organisation thats 2 creatures that by there very nature need to feed on the blood of living creatures (more than likely sentients)

Given that both the vampires strill have their evil alignments I think we can safely say that their not drinking the blood of Cattle or raiding the local blood bank for food. These 2 evil vampires arent Jandar/Angel/Blade there still commiting evil acts.

A LN person would still have "standards" (hence the Lawful part of the alignment) they'd have issues with being around a Chaotic good person (Laeral) as they are by their nature unreliable and or dealing with a CE Vampire which a LN person would view as being completely untrustworthy.

A TN person has no moral standards on either the Law vs Chaos axis or the Good vs Evil axis they are the ultimate manipulators anything and anyone goes so long as it serves the TN persons goals or as they view it the greater "good".

And TN fits Blackstaff like a Glove.

His LG Paladin friend Piergion
His CG Lover Laeral
His dealings with LE Fzoul
His involvement with CE Vampires (and Halaster)

A TN may save a innocent person one week from being murdered only to kill another innocent person the next week. Saving the first innocent advances the TN plans while killing the first Innocent the following week also advances their plan/gaols

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  06:19:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben does have standards... He's always worked for the common good -- despite his neutral alignment.

We don't know enough about the vampires to really make a good judgement, there. Sure, lawyers -- er, vampires () live off the blood of the living. But we don't know exactly whose blood these two are living off of. Nor do we know what happens to the victims, afterwards. It could be that they only prey on and take out criminals or enemies of the Harpers/Moonstars. Or they could both be pulling a Jander and only taking what they need to live, and leaving the victims alive... Heck, for all we know, one could be drinking from the humans produced by a deepspawn he keeps in the basement!

Or maybe they are killing random people, and Khelben is overlooking this, for the greater good. We don't know exactly what he's working for here, but we know it is something big. He's been preparing for it for 500 years! He was a part of the Sword Heralds and a major good organization, the Harpers, because of this darkness that he's working against.

Khelben has always been portrayed as a manipulator and one who is willing to do dark deeds to see good triumph. It could just be that what it is he's working against is far more important than worrying about where 2 vampires are eating, or what his (one-time!) deal with Fzoul could lead to. The Blackstaff is playing a very deep game here, and it's one he's been playing for centuries. He's willing to accept some shades of grey now to make sure the light is shining later.

Dealing with bad guys doesn't reflect negatively on someone, if they do it for the right reasons. Khelben has dealt with Fzoul and Halaster, yes. But did he do it for himself, to benefit #1 and no one else? Nope, it's been towards a greater good. We don't look down on cops for dealing with criminal informants, do we? Sometimes light is best served by those who can walk in darkness.

Khelben helped found a major organization for good. Khelben has spent much time working to benefit the city he lives in -- Waterdeep now, and Myth Drannor in the past. He was a major force in defending the city of Myth Drannor from the Army of Darkness, where he -- for the second time! -- nearly died trying to defend others.

Neutral or not, Khelben is and always has been a major force for good in the Realms. He's allowing minor evil to flourish now so that good will triumph later. That doesn't strike me as true neutral. I'm not sure that LN is the right fit for him, but I know that TN isn't.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  10:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Y'all have to bear in mind one simple thing--Khelben may have an alignment by D&D rules, but it's not what I keep in mind when writing him. He's Khelben, and he's a whole complicated ball of issues and motivations, not just two little letters to define his morality and ethics. Yes, he's lawful, and yes, he's more middle-of-the-road than Elminster, but don't doubt that he's a good man with a hard row to hoe.

The assumption that Khelben's straying from his moral center because he works with "evil beings" is not quite right. His morals and ethics are what drive him to work with them--he's not afraid, like Piergeiron or even Malchor Harpell, to get his hands dirty and to play both sides against each other to achieve his goals. And no, that's not betraying his lawful nature either--he's just not playing with mortal laws, being 900 years old (and thus older than most laws in place currently) and hardwired to a goddess (who sets her and his moral compass in many ways).

That said, my frustration with the alignment system comes down to this: Evil (or good, for that matter) is many, many things that can't be quantified but it makes many biases when oversimplified (like in D&D). Evil, to some, is the cheap bastard who swipes some tips off the table; to others, he's someone who runs from a fight rather than help defend his friends. I could go on and on, but here's my benchmark: If you think of yourself first and foremost over the the welfare of others, that's the hallmark of evil ("me first in all things"). Thus, LE could simply mean someone is law-abiding or at least in possession of a code of ethics, but he's out for himself first and foremost.

I've got an entirely different take on some characters than most because I refuse to take the alignments as holy gospel and let them limit me in seeing a whole character. Sure, I understand what the system is there for, and I can work with it and around it, but it gets frustrating when discussing characters with people and they lock onto alignments only. It's a limitation of the game system, and it shouldn't prevent us from telling the best stories we can.

Boy, this is a long way around the bend just to say the vampires with whom Khelben works in the Silverstars are not the moustache-twirling, baby-eating, serial-killing monsters one might think. They're both actually quite cultured, polite, erudite, and sane people who have a different dietary need and an aversion to sunlight. No, they're not nice people by a long stretch, but you can work with them. (Just like so many of us go to work each day in Cubeland and put up with those we'd rather not but can for the sake of a cause or paycheck.).

Steven the Longwinded Insomniac

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  11:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Khelben does have standards... He's always worked for the common good -- despite his neutral alignment.

We don't know enough about the vampires to really make a good judgement, there. Sure, lawyers -- er, vampires () live off the blood of the living. But we don't know exactly whose blood these two are living off of. Nor do we know what happens to the victims, afterwards. It could be that they only prey on and take out criminals or enemies of the Harpers/Moonstars. Or they could both be pulling a Jander and only taking what they need to live, and leaving the victims alive... Heck, for all we know, one could be drinking from the humans produced by a deepspawn he keeps in the basement!

Or maybe they are killing random people, and Khelben is overlooking this, for the greater good. We don't know exactly what he's working for here, but we know it is something big. He's been preparing for it for 500 years! He was a part of the Sword Heralds and a major good organization, the Harpers, because of this darkness that he's working against.

Khelben has always been portrayed as a manipulator and one who is willing to do dark deeds to see good triumph. It could just be that what it is he's working against is far more important than worrying about where 2 vampires are eating, or what his (one-time!) deal with Fzoul could lead to. The Blackstaff is playing a very deep game here, and it's one he's been playing for centuries. He's willing to accept some shades of grey now to make sure the light is shining later.

Dealing with bad guys doesn't reflect negatively on someone, if they do it for the right reasons. Khelben has dealt with Fzoul and Halaster, yes. But did he do it for himself, to benefit #1 and no one else? Nope, it's been towards a greater good. We don't look down on cops for dealing with criminal informants, do we? Sometimes light is best served by those who can walk in darkness.

Khelben helped found a major organization for good. Khelben has spent much time working to benefit the city he lives in -- Waterdeep now, and Myth Drannor in the past. He was a major force in defending the city of Myth Drannor from the Army of Darkness, where he -- for the second time! -- nearly died trying to defend others.

Neutral or not, Khelben is and always has been a major force for good in the Realms. He's allowing minor evil to flourish now so that good will triumph later. That doesn't strike me as true neutral. I'm not sure that LN is the right fit for him, but I know that TN isn't.

As I said the "Common Good" for people with neutral (on the good vs evil axis) alignments is defined by that person they are by no means "moral"

Up until recently it could be argued that Blackstaff has fought for The "good" of Waterdeep" Khelban was after all a Lord of Waterdeep and LN person in that position would to a degree define there actions by how they will effect those they are responsiable for.

However Blackstaff is no longer a Lord of Waterdeep so he no longer has to consider whats best for the city after all hes no longer responsable it.

So when you say Khelban works for the "Common good" how are you defining good?

"Dealing with bad guys doesn't reflect negatively on someone, if they do it for the right reasons."

Perhaps you havent heard of a man named Neville Chamberlin?

*chuckle*

<Has mental image of Khelbhan standing outside Blackstaff tower waving a piece of paper in his hand yelling out to waterdeeps masses "I hold in my hand this document signed by Herr Fzoul declaring that for the next 30 years the Zhentarim will not expand in the Western Heartland! We shall have Peace in our Time!">

But then again most police informants arent going to rip out the throats of incocent members of the public and drink their blood or raise an army of Vampire spawn.......

"He's allowing minor evil to flourish now so that good will triumph later."

You know the old saying "The Road to the Barrens of Doom and Despair is paved with "good" Intentions"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  11:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And no, my flippant comment at the end of my post was neither a shot at middle managers as vampires nor should it negate anyone's opinion about the evils of corporate America.

Feel free to disagree with me on this and many topics; I'm enjoying the heck out of this thread as so many of you are very much in synch with how I'm seeing Khelben's gambit with the tel'Teukiira play out. Not that I'm not open to new ways of looking at it all, but I've got a few ideas that I've not even hinted at in print that'll remain in my back pocket until I get the green light to do a trilogy on the tel'Teukiira (unrequested and unlikely for many years yet).

And re: Laeral and Khelben's roles with each other, HE is the only Chosen to put it all on the line to save her from the Crown of Horns. She keeps him from teetering over the edge because he leapt over the edge to drag her (and himself) back when she fell over it herself. One point I do make with the novel and these characters is this: For all their political, social, and magical power, the strongest thing they share is their love. (Yes, I'm a romantic. Sue me. )

Okay. Time for me to shower and get to the day job. See you insomniacs later.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  11:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't see his dealings with vampires to be a mark of an alignment shift... One of the vampires was a former Harper, remember.

Aye.

Manshaka. Though he's a LE vampire (and as Wooly said, a former deepcover Harper agent before he died by the bite from a vampire) it should be noted that since rising as a vampire, he has recommitted himself to Khelben and continues to serve his goals through the Moonstars.

I can never remember the vampire's first name, but by Calishite nomenclature, Manshaka is simply the place he calls home.

And yes, he's not the only deep-cover Harper agent who worked directly for Khelben over the long years. There's one who gets a brief scene in BLACKSTAFF, along with her lover, and they've both long been considered villains in the game world. I see them as victims of circumstance, magic, and moral weakness who're striving toward the light in their own ways. Doesn't excuse what they've done, but knowing that she's worked with Khelben for more than 90 years despite the past 30 years or so as a rogue agent may change how you look at the lovely [NDA Police finally break down the door to Steven's office and drag him off in leather straps and straight-jacket....]

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  11:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
And yes, he's not the only deep-cover Harper agent who worked directly for Khelben over the long years. There's one who gets a brief scene in BLACKSTAFF, along with her lover, and they've both long been considered villains in the game world. I see them as victims of circumstance, magic, and moral weakness who're striving toward the light in their own ways. Doesn't excuse what they've done, but knowing that she's worked with Khelben for more than 90 years despite the past 30 years or so as a rogue agent may change how you look at the lovely [NDA Police finally break down the door to Steven's office and drag him off in leather straps and straight-jacket....]

Dear god that sounds like Ashemmi and Sememmon !!!!

and the vampires full name is Asrafyn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Jan 2006 11:28:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  14:10:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven SchendI can never remember the vampire's first name, but by Calishite nomenclature, Manshaka is simply the place he calls home.
Ah... So, Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi of Manshaka.

quote:
And yes, he's not the only deep-cover Harper agent who worked directly for Khelben over the long years.
As I see it, regardless of the issues with D&D alignment -- in that they don't truly reflect the fickle essence of human nature, the fact remains that people can and will change... Why should NPCs in a fictional fantasy world be any different?

And as such, Khelben's doing what needs to be done according to how he sees it (whatever *it* actually is). If that involves his association with evil-aligned creatures, it is yet again... just a means to an end and a reflection of Khelben's true and evolving character in the game world.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 14:12:29
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  15:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The end justifies the means?

Granting alignment rules hold many problems, as do rules concerning getting evil subtype by becoming undead. There remains the general discussion of aiding an Evil force for now to achieve a greater good later. Does the how matter and is the good that great?

There are historical examples in many points in history that appear to indicate that the means to the end was not in fact a greater good, though the winners claimed such was fact.

Yes, but cliché (and a large dose of truth) has it that the winners write history. And also, one man's greater good is another man's swath of destruction with an end result he didn't want in the first place.
Khelben clearly sees what he is doing as ultimately right, but that doesn't mean he is, or that anyone else has to see things as he does, not least because very few, if any, people actually have any idea what end he is working towards and what he will have to do to accomplish it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  15:48:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As I said the "Common Good" for people with neutral (on the good vs evil axis) alignments is defined by that person they are by no means "moral"

Up until recently it could be argued that Blackstaff has fought for The "good" of Waterdeep" Khelban was after all a Lord of Waterdeep and LN person in that position would to a degree define there actions by how they will effect those they are responsiable for.

However Blackstaff is no longer a Lord of Waterdeep so he no longer has to consider whats best for the city after all hes no longer responsable it.

Says who? Page 53 of City of Splendors: Waterdeep lists Khelben as a Lord. Somewhere else it says that his retirement from the Lordship was only temporary.

quote:

So when you say Khelban works for the "Common good" how are you defining good?

"Dealing with bad guys doesn't reflect negatively on someone, if they do it for the right reasons."

Perhaps you havent heard of a man named Neville Chamberlin?

*chuckle*

<Has mental image of Khelbhan standing outside Blackstaff tower waving a piece of paper in his hand yelling out to waterdeeps masses "I hold in my hand this document signed by Herr Fzoul declaring that for the next 30 years the Zhentarim will not expand in the Western Heartland! We shall have Peace in our Time!">

How do I define common good? When someone works for the betterment of other people, towards goals they themselves would seek, then that's the common good. Khelben has always been a defender and protector of the common man. He goes out of his way -- and, as I said, has nearly died twice (that we know of) doing it -- to protect people from harm.

Neville Chamberlain? Sorry, but I don't think that Khelben would make a mistake like that. Fzoul and the god he serves -- a god that Khelben, by giving him the Scepter, helped bring back -- can be reasonably expected to keep their word. Bane and Fzoul both are lawful evil, so it's no unreasonable to assume they'll keep their word.

And what if they don't? Khelben is 900 years old. He's a master manipulator and a cunning schemer. He's likely already got plans in place so that if Fzoul betrays him, it still winds up serving Khelben's goals.

quote:

But then again most police informants arent going to rip out the throats of incocent members of the public and drink their blood or raise an army of Vampire spawn.......

"He's allowing minor evil to flourish now so that good will triumph later."

You know the old saying "The Road to the Barrens of Doom and Despair is paved with "good" Intentions"

Granted, most police informants aren't that bad, at least compared to the larger criminals the cop is after... But that's part of the point I was making: obviously, the vampires are the lesser evil. Khelben wouldn't work with them if it didn't help his goals, and his past actions should be enough of an indicator that his goals are in the best interests of people all over Faerûn.

And as I've pointed out before, vampires can rush in where Harpers fear to tread. If you can keep them on your side, a vampire can be a huge asset.

And as I also pointed out before, we don't know much about those vampires. Sure, we can assume they would go for innocent people -- but since they work with one of the people who founded the Harpers, and since one is a former Harper, it's also reasonable to assume they are more selective with their food. Not all vampires are the same.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  15:52:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Y'all have to bear in mind one simple thing--Khelben may have an alignment by D&D rules, but it's not what I keep in mind when writing him. He's Khelben, and he's a whole complicated ball of issues and motivations, not just two little letters to define his morality and ethics. Yes, he's lawful, and yes, he's more middle-of-the-road than Elminster, but don't doubt that he's a good man with a hard row to hoe.

The assumption that Khelben's straying from his moral center because he works with "evil beings" is not quite right. His morals and ethics are what drive him to work with them--he's not afraid, like Piergeiron or even Malchor Harpell, to get his hands dirty and to play both sides against each other to achieve his goals. And no, that's not betraying his lawful nature either--he's just not playing with mortal laws, being 900 years old (and thus older than most laws in place currently) and hardwired to a goddess (who sets her and his moral compass in many ways).

That said, my frustration with the alignment system comes down to this: Evil (or good, for that matter) is many, many things that can't be quantified but it makes many biases when oversimplified (like in D&D). Evil, to some, is the cheap bastard who swipes some tips off the table; to others, he's someone who runs from a fight rather than help defend his friends. I could go on and on, but here's my benchmark: If you think of yourself first and foremost over the the welfare of others, that's the hallmark of evil ("me first in all things"). Thus, LE could simply mean someone is law-abiding or at least in possession of a code of ethics, but he's out for himself first and foremost.

I've got an entirely different take on some characters than most because I refuse to take the alignments as holy gospel and let them limit me in seeing a whole character. Sure, I understand what the system is there for, and I can work with it and around it, but it gets frustrating when discussing characters with people and they lock onto alignments only. It's a limitation of the game system, and it shouldn't prevent us from telling the best stories we can.

Boy, this is a long way around the bend just to say the vampires with whom Khelben works in the Silverstars are not the moustache-twirling, baby-eating, serial-killing monsters one might think. They're both actually quite cultured, polite, erudite, and sane people who have a different dietary need and an aversion to sunlight. No, they're not nice people by a long stretch, but you can work with them. (Just like so many of us go to work each day in Cubeland and put up with those we'd rather not but can for the sake of a cause or paycheck.).

Steven the Longwinded Insomniac

That's something I was thinking about last night, after I went offline. Though I don't have too much of a problem with the D&D alignment system (to me, it works for the most part, so long as you don't consider it absolute), it doesn't always work. Some characters just aren't as easy to pigeon-hole into one of the 9 pre-determined slots.

Myself, I see Khelben as being somewhere between CG and LN. Sometimes he leans more one way, sometimes he leans more another.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  15:59:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[NDA Police finally break down the door to Steven's office and drag him off in leather straps and straight-jacket....]

Is that the NDA police or our lovely Lady Hooded One?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  16:22:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Khelben is 900 years old. He's a master manipulator and a cunning schemer. He's likely already got plans in place so that if Fzoul betrays him, it still winds up serving Khelben's goals.
Another important point to consider...

If nothing else, Khelben has the benefit (and foresight) of time, thanks largely to his status as a Chosen, to be able to see months, years, decades... perhaps even centuries ahead and fully realise ambitions that might not be applicable just now. Coupled with his extraordinarily lengthy periods of experience and it can be safely assumed that the paths Khelben chooses to walk are paths that have been studied for a significant amount of time and their potentiality weighed against the possibilities of other directions.

To put it simply... The Blackstaff has revealed more pieces of the grand puzzle of the Realms... giving him plenty of options to play with. Not only that... he's also managed to get a glimpse of the final image of the puzzle itself -- and it's this *image* he's working toward.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 16:27:29
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  16:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The AD&D alignments are a very close fit with the World of Greyhawk, whose nations, metaphysics and outer planes are divided as much by Moorcockian chaos–law as by good–evil. Gary (to his health!) also wrote the nine alignment definitions, of course. In the Realms, alignment serves as a very basic and dispensable shorthand for character outlook and a mechanic for handling metaphysically aligned magic.

The 'neutral' alignments are at least as ambiguous as 'evil' is, including animal amorality, selfish mercantile indifference, druidic 'balance' philosophy, weak benevolence and malevolence, and people like Khelben, who I agree fits the scheme worse than most, and whose novel I will buy eagerly sight unseen (and not just to cite in ENWorld discussions about Realms intrigue).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  17:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread sort of reminds me of what happened to a group of mine. In the middle of their adventuring careers I set them up against a small Brotherhood of evil dwarves. Really evil dwarves. The two groups battled each other for about two months to no conclusion, until the gnome illusionist created a new persona and convinced them she was a dwarven princess who wanted to hire them to do a bunch of dirty work she couldn't (without damaging her standing with her clan) do herself.

She paid them well, and through some really good role-playing convinced the dwarves to become (to steal from another gaming system) her shadowrunners. Ever since she's been their contact, bringing them exceedingly dangerous jobs that need to get done, but that she doesn't want her friends doing. It's been a really superb bit of manipulation on her part, getting these amoral dwarves fighting for the greater good by making them mercenaries.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  17:47:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, its funny, now that you mention that, it gets me to thinking, has Khelbun ever done a "Suicide Squad" type manipulation, i.e. taken groups of wanted individuals that are enemmies of the Lords Alliance, let them know that they are in SERIOUS trouble if they don't work for Khelbun, and then set them loose in regions outside of the typical perview of those who would imprision, punish, or eliminate them, perhaps using them for missions in the Lands of Intruigue or Sembia, for example.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  18:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, its funny, now that you mention that, it gets me to thinking, has Khelbun ever done a "Suicide Squad" type manipulation, i.e. taken groups of wanted individuals that are enemmies of the Lords Alliance, let them know that they are in SERIOUS trouble if they don't work for Khelbun, and then set them loose in regions outside of the typical perview of those who would imprision, punish, or eliminate them, perhaps using them for missions in the Lands of Intruigue or Sembia, for example.

No comment.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  19:05:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil Steven . . .just evil. Still, if it is true, I'd much rather deal with Laeral (or Khelbun for that matter) than Amanda Waller. The scenery is nicer . . .

As far as alignment, I'm with Wooly. They serve their purpose as a quick shorthand for what a character might act like, but no one conforms 100% to an alignment. Its not a problem with alignment, its a function of the fact that a character that is deep enough is going to have lots of events in their life that varies from their "core." I think sometimes its funny that when people try to say that someone doesn't fit an alignment, they cite one or two events, rather than the majority of events that the character has recently taken.

(Still pondering how much Steven isn't commenting on . . . )

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 09 Jan 2006 19:06:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000