Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shimmergloom still alive??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Morgagni
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  11:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Morgagni's Homepage Send Morgagni a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's possible that Shimmergloom, before her death in Garumn's Gorge, have made a pact with the Cult of Dragon and maybe her phylactery (as a dracolich) were far from Mithril Hall so she's still alive (her spirit)???
But: A dracolich, like any other undead don't suffer the mass damages that probably have killed her...or not???
P.S. Sorry for my bad english...

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dracoliches can take heavy punishments without feeling much pain except annoyance but they are vulnerable to holy weapons and divine magic which can inflict pain on them.
Dracoliches like every lich has a phylactery, a kind of gem which supposed to store the soul or life essence of the lich that anchor the lich to mortal plane. If the phylactery is destroyed, the lich soul is banished off the mortal plane, if it is intact, but the physical form of the lich is destroyed, still, the lich soul can wait to animate another suitable corpse or it will return in another form.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgagni

It's possible that Shimmergloom, before her death in Garumn's Gorge, have made a pact with the Cult of Dragon and maybe her phylactery (as a dracolich) were far from Mithril Hall so she's still alive (her spirit)???
But: A dracolich, like any other undead don't suffer the mass damages that probably have killed her...or not???
P.S. Sorry for my bad english...

It’s defiantly possible. If your players (Or just you) are huge fans of RAS’s work and all know who Shimmergloom is, then having that particular dragon show up to beat the snot out of the PC’s would be a grand idea. Nice reactions at the table, I would think.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll say this, the "mass damage" impact at the bottom of the gorge was probably not what killed the beast, so much as the flaming berserk dwarf whacking away at it's back. Either way, I don't think there are any special immunities to falls for being undead... in fact, a planet just mught be the ultimate bludgeoning weapon.
I suppose it's possible that the Cult of the Dragon had gotten to Shimmergloom, but you would want to be careful as to how you established that. I cant see the Druegar letting any old cultist through to their godhead. You might also review the end of "Streams of Silver" and the begining of "Halfling's Gem" for particulars.

Now, as far as how it all went down, it's entirely possible the dragon had the needed spells in place "just in case", and revived some days later (I think the delay on a lich returning is like 2d4 days.) only to leave to seek out it's phylactery before the assault on Mithril Hall was made.

Consulting a map of the realms, there are numerous dungeons in the area, (Dungeon of Ruin, etc...) any of which could be a suitable resting point for a new Draco-lich.

Edited by - Forge on 24 Jun 2005 14:07:30
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Er - well, anything is possible, so if you want Shimmergloom to be a shadow dragon dracolich, go right ahead. However, as Forge has pointed out, if you want consistency, you would have to come up with a way for the cultists to discover Mithral Hall's location, find Shimmergloom and convince him to become a dracolich.
Go to Top of Page

Morgagni
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Morgagni's Homepage Send Morgagni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tnx friends
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One other interesting item of note. If I recall, Shadow Dragons are native to the plane of shadows, and have a negative energy breath weapon... I would speculate that becoming a lich would do nothing if not increasing the strength of such a breath weapon... Wicked if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Morgagni
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Morgagni's Homepage Send Morgagni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think so! I don't know the scores of other shadow dragons-dracoliches like Aurgloroasa or Shhuusshuru but I have a something like this in my mind

Edited by - Morgagni on 24 Jun 2005 14:43:31
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  15:07:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To avoid the whole "the cult Mithril Hall first" issue you have a few options. The cult could have made contact with it on the plane of Shadow. In fact, it could have been dead and dying from the multiple axe wounds, the fall, and the fire, and somehow drifted into the plane. Or this could have happened in the Plane of Shadow a few years before Bruenor busted it up.

Don't forget that Melegaunt Tanthul knew of Shimmergloom and was under the impression that Shimmergloom was dead, meaning that if it did survive, it likely is lying low for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  15:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall the story correctly, there was a gateway to the Shadow Plane in the depths of Mithril Hall, or in the Underdark near the bottom of Mithril Hall.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  20:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think that shimergloom survived the fall or the fire. But the dracolich coming back is posible. If you did bring it back it would want to take the dreugar and reclame the hall.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

If I recall the story correctly, there was a gateway to the Shadow Plane in the depths of Mithril Hall, or in the Underdark near the bottom of Mithril Hall.

Yup. Like the dwarves of a certain other fantasy series, the dwarves of Mithril Hall "delved too deeply," only instead of awakening a Balrog, they opened a gate to the Plane of Shadows, through which Shimmergloom came.

Something I've wondered about - could the Cult create a dracolich from the bones of a dead dragon, or do they need a absolutely need a living subject? The latter, I think, otherwise Faerun would be overrun by dracoliches. Still, one could have the Cult having recently created a necromantic ritual allowing them to create dracoliches from dead dragons. The Cult has numerous necromancers in its ranks, so it's not implausible - especially with the recent return of the Cult's founder...
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LD, a few considerations... If Shimmergloom DID become a dracolich, she would likely take some time to recover before returning.

And at that point the Dwarves were likely entrenched, the Druegar routed and the Drow en route. Not a good time to try and make a comeback.

Krafus, there have been some allusions to the "Liching" process having to be a consentual process, otherwise you just get a Dragon Zombie/Skeleton.

Edited by - Forge on 24 Jun 2005 22:32:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:59:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becoming a dracolich requires participation on the part of the dragon. That's why the Cult is always trying to recruit dragons, rather than killing them or waiting for them to die.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  01:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, The Cult of The Dragon often tried to convince dragons to become a dracolich. But some dracoliches became disillusioned withe the Cult and somehow either ignored them or turned against them. To convince a dragon to become a dracolich, I guess it takes a lot of gold, gems and treasure to at least get the wrym attention to listen to Cult proposal.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  20:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an idle musing I had, but with Shimmergloom being a native of the plane of Shadows, it may be that she has some connection/familiarity with Shade and it's denizens.

Additionally, there was very little in the way of spellcasting done by the dragon if I recall, and arcane magics were not the thrust of the book, but it would be another twist if she turned out to cast using shadowweave or had other tie-ins to the Shades.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  22:18:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

Just an idle musing I had, but with Shimmergloom being a native of the plane of Shadows, it may be that she has some connection/familiarity with Shade and it's denizens.

Additionally, there was very little in the way of spellcasting done by the dragon if I recall, and arcane magics were not the thrust of the book, but it would be another twist if she turned out to cast using shadowweave or had other tie-ins to the Shades.

Well, it's possible that Shimmergloom knew of Shade... But then again, maybe not. Planes are rather large areas. It's possible that you know of the town I live in -- after all, we are on the same plane -- but it's just as likely that you don't.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  23:05:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melegaunt Tanthul mentioned Shimmergloom's death in the first of the ROTAW books, so Shade knew of Shimmergloom, even if Shimmergloom didn't know of Shade . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  02:52:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Melegaunt Tanthul mentioned Shimmergloom's death in the first of the ROTAW books, so Shade knew of Shimmergloom, even if Shimmergloom didn't know of Shade . . .

No, one Shadovar knew of Shimmergloom. That doesn't mean anyone else did (it's possible, but I prefer to stick to Occam's Razor).

Remember, he'd been walking the Realms for a while -- more than enough time for him to have heard of Shimmergloom thru entirely mundane means.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  03:28:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

No, one Shadovar knew of Shimmergloom. That doesn't mean anyone else did (it's possible, but I prefer to stick to Occam's Razor).

Remember, he'd been walking the Realms for a while -- more than enough time for him to have heard of Shimmergloom thru entirely mundane means.
Indeed. And considering the usual dwarven fashion of relating great exploits through song, Shadovar could have just as easily learned about Shimmergloom during his time in the North. Or through bardic tales sung on streets corners.

Good stories never fade...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  12:52:59  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When did he say that?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  17:33:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I can never find references in novels, but it was when he was discussing current events with Vala in the first book (obviously, lol).
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  17:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when I posed the question, it was purely hypothetical. My reasoning is that if a giant flaoting city of extra-planear people just popped into Toril, it would make ripples. Likewise with Plane of Shadow, going and coming from the Plane of Shadows, ESPECIALLY with the help of a Diety. Second, most magi in the Realms have a pretty good idea what dragons are about, simply for self-preservation if nothing else. I would imagine a similar levle of knowledge would exist in Shade.

Now, just because they know OF each other doesn't mean they KNOW each other, but they might feel akin should one need assistance and/or succor.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  10:01:34  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speakin of Shimmergloom. I am wonderin if his stats have been posted. If so, where would i find them??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  09:42:52  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know where I can find his stats??

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  16:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. And considering the usual dwarven fashion of relating great exploits through song, Shadovar could have just as easily learned about Shimmergloom during his time in the North. Or through bardic tales sung on streets corners.

Spoiler Warning !!!

I don't think anyone could have heard about shimmergloom from tavern tales. After all, Breunor was the King of Mithril hall and even he forgot totally about Mithril hall until he took the potion from Malchoir Harper. In fact, until Breunor went to Mithril hall in Streams of Silvers, No one know anythin about mithril hall.

Last point to make here, if Shimmergloom truly was a dracolich, the companions of the hall would have been wiped out completely. There is no way the companions of the hall could defeat a shadowdragon lich. No offense to RAS lovers, i'm just stating a fact here. Don't get angry. I'm also a big fan of RAS too.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  16:06:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Shimmergloom, Great Shadow Wyrm, Resides in Mithril Hall, The Savage Frontier

Shimmergloom, Great Shadow Wyrm, Resides in Mithril Hall, Volo's Guide to the North

No idea if there are 3/3.5e stats and if you want to find more 1e and 2e stats, see my sig where I made a data base from the canon sourcebooks. I really need to finish turning those into HTML for Alaundo. He has some of them on the candlekeep site as well and they can be found in last months or the months before update.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  16:26:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

Spoiler Warning !!!

I don't think anyone could have heard about shimmergloom from tavern tales. After all, Breunor was the King of Mithril hall and even he forgot totally about Mithril hall until he took the potion from Malchoir Harper. In fact, until Breunor went to Mithril hall in Streams of Silvers, No one know anythin about mithril hall.

Last point to make here, if Shimmergloom truly was a dracolich, the companions of the hall would have been wiped out completely. There is no way the companions of the hall could defeat a shadowdragon lich. No offense to RAS lovers, i'm just stating a fact here. Don't get angry. I'm also a big fan of RAS too.

I would say that they would give one a run for it's money. Look at Spellfire. Granted, they don't have Elminster and a young spellfire wielding lass, who seems to burn through her clothing quite often , running with them.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  19:00:16  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Shimmergloom, Great Shadow Wyrm, Resides in Mithril Hall, The Savage Frontier

Shimmergloom, Great Shadow Wyrm, Resides in Mithril Hall, Volo's Guide to the North

No idea if there are 3/3.5e stats and if you want to find more 1e and 2e stats, see my sig where I made a data base from the canon sourcebooks. I really need to finish turning those into HTML for Alaundo. He has some of them on the candlekeep site as well and they can be found in last months or the months before update.

Can't get his stats through those links. Somethin wrong with them. I found them on WotC, yet no stats for Shimmergloom.

Edited by - Drakul on 25 Mar 2006 19:23:59
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  19:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

RAS would make it happen. His characters never lose.

Spoiler for PotWK by RAS

In promise of the witch king Artemis and Jarlaxle take out a dracolich, its not a shadow dragon but then again Artemis and Jarlaxle are not his money making Drizzt and company either.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  19:44:21  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall them takin out a Dracolich. When did that happen??

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000