Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 is jarlaxle good or evil?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  18:13:16  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
I swear that alignment is the biggest curse of D&D. In my experience, the majority of arguments have been caused by people using alignment as a motivation. And yet each of the Player's handbooks I own say this:

Player's Handbook 1st Edn, page 33: "Naturally, there are all shades of tendencies within each alignment."

Player's Handbook 2nd Edn, page 46: "Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character."

Player's Handbook 3rd Edn page 87: "Alignment is a tool for developing your character's identity. It is not a straitjacket for restricting your character."

Player's Handbook V3.5 page 103: "Alignment is a tool for developing your character's identity. It is not a straitjacket for restricting your character."

I once role-played a drow wizard, Karas Armgo who made sure his slaves were clothed in finery and well-fed. He did this solely because he knew that the other slaves would hate his slaves more, and that his supposedly kind treatment would alienate his slaves even from their peers. Judged on his actions he would appear kind yet his motivation was anything but.

My advice is to leave alignment where it belongs, in Realmscape and just concentrate on the story and the roleplay. Heck, even most of the deities don't act according to the alignment straitjackets some would have them wear.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  18:27:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Not only that, but a lot of people simply misunderstand alignment. How many folk have you seen that say CN is obligated to do great good one day, and great evil the next, to "maintain the balance"? And how many folk think that evil alignments, particularly CE, do nothing but rape, torture, pillage, and murder all day, every day?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  18:35:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I seem to remember this being done to the idiocy in Dark Sun where the description of the Half Giant was CN and changing their behavior each day. But the worst one was always true Neutral, used to shift sides when "balance was threatened"!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  19:15:39  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And how many folk think that evil alignments, particularly CE, do nothing but rape, torture, pillage, and murder all day, every day?

Which, if it was the case, doesn't explain why orcs multiply to such numbers. (Or drow for that matter, but let's not mention drow and alignment.) Surely, if alignment was such a straitjacket, orcs would be too busy killing one another.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:19:30  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not only that, but a lot of people simply misunderstand alignment. How many folk have you seen that say CN is obligated to do great good one day, and great evil the next, to "maintain the balance"? And how many folk think that evil alignments, particularly CE, do nothing but rape, torture, pillage, and murder all day, every day?

Agreed. CN is ''free''. CN doesn't much care about laws nor is he always doing good or evil; he/she does what she ever wants. But this is only my observation. And my opinion is that Jarlaxle is definetly CN, it just describes him the best. CE isn't all the time raping and pillaging, yes, but these kind of doings are what they are trying to do: they are evil, but doesn't mean that every evil character does that all the time.
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  19:12:00  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message
i thik to properly answer this question you would have to ask your selves; was zaknafien good or evil?i fyou can answer that than you can answer about jarlaxle

Libera animus omnium fidelium defunctorum de poenis obscurum
Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  20:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message
In the Wizards offical references it states NE. No way.... I think that he is CN all the way..
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  23:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
i vote EVIL on a base of the basic selfishnes of the majority of his actions combined with plenty of evil actions... The goal justifies the means. And if the goal is your own prosperity, even better.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  01:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message
hes actually not that selfish either, he let Drizzt and catie brie leave the underdark even tho he could have gotten a large ransome for them from any one of the matron mothers of Menzoberrenzan. so hes not THAT greedy or selfish either

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  10:05:56  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message
zacknafien was freinds to jarlaxle just as drizzt to entrerii personaly think that zacknafien and jarlaxle share the same alighnment

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  02:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message
and i still personally hate it when people are like....well the rule book this and the rule book that etc etc.....im talking about actual books and not just rule books and i think he is nuetral good or nuetral evil.....because the only "evil" that i can tell her committed is for the most part agisnt an evil race "drow" and when you look closely he himself does very very little actual evil things throughout the books dispite the fact that he is considered evil....so to hell with the guidebooks or rulebooks....im forming my opinion off of observations from the books and not from what some dumb rulebook tells me

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  02:49:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

and i still personally hate it when people are like....well the rule book this and the rule book that etc etc.....im talking about actual books and not just rule books and i think he is nuetral good or nuetral evil.....because the only "evil" that i can tell her committed is for the most part agisnt an evil race "drow" and when you look closely he himself does very very little actual evil things throughout the books dispite the fact that he is considered evil....so to hell with the guidebooks or rulebooks....im forming my opinion off of observations from the books and not from what some dumb rulebook tells me

Belittle the rulebooks if you will, but what they say is the official version of how things are in the Realms. If a rulebook says that someone is of a particular alignment, then, regardless of whether or not you agree, that is the official stance of the people publishing the character.

One of Jarlaxle's first appearances was when he turned his forces against their employer for a better offer -- in the midst of battle! That's hardly a noble act...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  05:18:05  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message
in that civilization yuo would have done the same thing. unfortunatly its just the way things were. and i would have to personaly agree with genis

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  05:23:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Jarlaxle may be fun to read about, he may be easygoing and charismatic, but I wouldn't confuse that with him being good or even neutral. Just because he is evil doesn't mean that he has to rant about the impending doom of all good people, nor kill of underlings just becasuse the looked at him cross eyed.

Jarlaxle twists people's emotons, and pulls at their strings on purpose, just to see how they will react. For example, his "friend" Entrerei. He has been manipulating him for quite some time, including making him think that Drizzt is dead just to see how he would react with his nemesis gone.

I wouldn't trust Jarlaxle as far as a kobold could throw him, but hey, that's how I read the charcter.
Go to Top of Page

shadowni87
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  07:06:00  Show Profile  Visit shadowni87's Homepage Send shadowni87 a Private Message
hopfully there will be other books on him that will go deeper in him and what hes about

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  14:51:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
why is "neutral" not a choice?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  17:29:04  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
I've always thought Jaraxle to be more controlled than Chaotic in his dealings, and as for Good / Evil I'm not sure. True he thrives in a evil city but as he states in one of the books he is a survivor much like Drizzt's dad Zak Nafien (I think spelling is right sorry if not) he really seems a paradox of Dark Elven society.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  01:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message
I think in the Road of the Patriarch we will see both Entreri and Jarlaxle's true colors. I cant wait for it!!!

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  04:44:47  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message
I belive that he is neutral but appraently a book states that he is neutral evil. I personally think is is shifting neutral because of Salvatores ROP.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:44:41  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
jarlaxle is really good but he can't help what he is a drow. drows see what is consider wrong to be right,so jarlaxle probably knows what he does is wrong but thinks its ok cause hes a drow and thats his excuse if someone calls him evil or chaoic it just what his people r and no matter what he does he can't escape it.unlike drizzt who successed in do so.And he only a mercenary cause thats another way for him to say that he not evil hes just doing his job to live and survive.And the greed of money just adds to his image of being evil. so he does whats in his limits.to do what is right so as not to be outcasted from his people.so really hes does good with in his bounds so as not to have people mkae him out to be a good guy.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  01:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by unknown warrior

jarlaxle is really good but he can't help what he is a drow. drows see what is consider wrong to be right,so jarlaxle probably knows what he does is wrong but thinks its ok cause hes a drow and thats his excuse if someone calls him evil or chaoic it just what his people r and no matter what he does he can't escape it.

It's still evil.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:30:09  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
yeah, but isn't r world just like the drows wrong is right and right is wrong.to not see this u must be part of the group just like all drows r part of there group.the world is amoral just like the drows world.but u can be like drizzt and realize whats really the truth of the world around u.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:24:22  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
so what i mean is be more like drizzt moral.honor is the number one thing that makes drizzt different from his people cause the drow have no since of this term. read homeland the part were drizzt teams with some one he thought to be a friend,and to win he stab his friend in the back cause he couldn't beat him face to face. so there for u can but can't call jarlaxle evil.from my first post what i meant to do was bring understand to why jaraxle is the way he is but if u truly think of it your right he truly is evil cause he knows and does care that hes evil and doesn't even try to change his ways so with that thought he truly is evil. to get to that conculsion took alot and thought and reason.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:31:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

I feel I need to warn you unknown warrior that the poor quality of your writing will get you ignored by many scribes here.
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:38:01  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
thanx again skeptic you are a valuable allie on here.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  23:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Sorry, unknown warrior, but your point isn't coming through to me at all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  04:39:05  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message
after thinking and reasoning to a while but your right no matter what hes evil,nut helps people here and there for the fun of it.it is confusioning just all togather to explain.what i really did is reason why hes is like he is and what he could to do to be like drizzt but he just doesn't choose to enough though he knows what he does is wrong but cause hes a drow it ok.what i mean to say is try to understand the why jarlaxle might think,thats why he acts the way he does.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Ontarah
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  21:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Ontarah's Homepage Send Ontarah a Private Message
I think when you first see him in Exile he can be described as NE. In that, his primary motivations are indeed just to make a profit. As the story goes on however I think he really starts shifting towards N. Sometimes he seems to act solely for profit. Other times he does things that seem kind. He feels "guilty" about betraying Zaknafein as it stakes in RotP, but he still betrayed him. Drizzt speculates in a journal entry in RotP that he does what he does for the sake of entertainment, and I really agree with his assessment. He is capable of meticulous planning, but I think most of what he does he just does to satisfy some weird curiosity. So between all the seeming alignment disparities and the huge range of behaviors, I would say CN. He does whatever he feels like doing at that particular point in time. In Menzo, he feels like acting NE. On the surface, he almost hits CG a few times, but that might all change tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message
You know, I voted Neutral but I realized it's a bit of a mistake. NE is probably the best way to describe him. He's not evil in the sense of trying to repress others or randomly murdering things or what-not...

But he definitely has no compunctions about violence (even overt and what might seem to be excessive violence) if it gets him what he wants. He's a Romantic, I think, but he has no illusions about the world and he likes to have fun. Fun that sometimes gets people killed.

He's the most enjoyable kind of evil there is.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  20:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Jaraxle is definitely Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic is why he stayed a favored of Lloth for so long, and Neutral because he does whatever the hell he likes with little thought as to how it is viewed by others.

quote:
From the Dungeon Master's Guide v3.5, pg. 105

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

I believe that describes Jaraxle to a "T"

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000