Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yet another request for assistance.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  02:57:16  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have two ethnic groups I am unsure of which is which.

I have seen human Shaaran and human Sharran. Which is correct, or are their two distinct ethnic groups?

The same for Tashalan and Tashlutan?

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  03:09:08  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Shaaran" refers to a person from the Shaar region. "Sharran" refers to a worshipper of Shar.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  03:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, here is the example I am curious about.

"These are held atop Hawkgarth's Hill. Speakers call for votes, and the Senior Speaker (currently a frail, long-bearded LN male Sharran human Ftr6 by the name of Ammanas "Hawk" Halauklyn, who farms just down the road from the Floating Shadow Bog at Twotrees Bridge) tallies all "close counts."

I would think it was a misprint, except further up that same page is this.

"Ilden seems to be a LG male Shaaran human Wiz16/Arch2 but reverts to his true silver dragon form when he feels the need."

This is from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061101a

Edited by - Ifthir on 15 Feb 2009 03:23:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  07:07:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Sharran" is a Realmslore term for the clergy of Shar. "Shaaran" is the term for those nomadic tribesmen living in the Shaar.

Going by the old lore for the Border Kingdoms in the POLYHEDRON articles, I'd say the reference in the entry for 'Hawkgarth' on the WotC site is indeed an error, and that it should actually refer to Halauklyn as a Shaaran male. Plus, given the geographical "closeness" of the Shaar to the area of the Border Kingdoms, 'tis likely that Halauklyn is descended from the Shaaran people.

"Tashalan" is a Realmslore term for those living around the central Chultan peninsula and Tharsult. "Tashlutan" is the term for those inhabitants of the city of Tashluta.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  07:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Going by the old lore for the Border Kingdoms in the POLYHEDRON articles, I'd say the reference in the entry for 'Hawkgarth' on the WotC site is indeed an error, and that it should actually refer to Halauklyn as a Shaaran male.

Ok, I somewhat agree, as I found not a single other reference. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

"Tashalan" is a Realmslore term for those living around the central Chultan peninsula and Tharsult. "Tashlutan" is the term for those inhabitants of the city of Tashluta.

Ah thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  00:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the by, do your guys say [shay-ahr], using the double vowel to change the inflection?

It's always been a nifty trick at my table, considering that one of the PCs was a Sharran Necro-shade and another a Monk from the Shaar. :D

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Sinjin Oban
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  22:53:03  Show Profile Send Sinjin Oban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Tashlutan" would definitely refer to people from the city of Tashluta, regardless of race. As the city is cosmopolitan, it would not refer to the ethnic group "Tashalan". Tashlutan could also be used to refer to architecture.

It all gets a bit muddled depending on what era you are referring to. I tried to straighten the terms out in a Running the Realms thread entitled "Human Sub Race Tree?".

Because of the common names listed for the area in the FRCS, the Tashalans might resemble Earth Bantu inhabitants of Kenya and Tanzania in dress and language, though not necessarily skin color and bone structure.

Tashalans are described as beautiful, with black hair and olive skin. Any number of Mediterranean people could fit the bill. The current inhabitants still retain very strong elements of the original Tashalarans, but also new influences after colonization by the Shoon Empire, and years of immigrant influx.

Favored brat of Beshaba. (Which is just as awful as it sounds.)

Edited by - Sinjin Oban on 02 Apr 2012 22:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  23:09:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

By the by, do your guys say [shay-ahr], using the double vowel to change the inflection?

-I just pronounce the two the same. Shaaran, Sharran.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000