Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Black dragons - can't live with 'em... Period.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GerbenDekker
Acolyte

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  20:13:04  Show Profile Send GerbenDekker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had a question regarding some sweet homebrewing I was allowed by our DM. This concerns 4e, and the custom creation of an item. We have just started playing the Thunderspire Labyrinth adventure.

Not too long ago, our party bested a young black dragon. After our victory, we took some parts of the dragon for future purposes. I took some scales from it, and its tail stinger/spike.

We have now found our way to Thunderspire Mountain where we met Gendar, a drow merchant of oddities, magical and otherwise. Much as my character didn't like it, he bartered with Gendar who proved willing to fashion something nice from the stinger/spike (even after what my gnome said, hehe).

The question I have is; what would be a balanced yet fun item to get from the stinger? My character's so small (3'6") that the stinger (1'8") could serve as a sword, when put into the proper shape. However, Gendar is not a swordsmith, so I think some sort of wondrous item would be better in place. But what kind of woundrous item, I really have no clue.

I know black dragons can be aquatic, have strong ties with the shadowfell, and can use shadow magic and acid to defend themselves. Since I don't have much experience in such matters, some ideas would prove nigh invaluable (: Great thanks in advance!

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  20:27:43  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh.
Too bad you didn't reap the dragons heart. It was rumored to give immortality when eaten (in OD&D).

Fashioning the stinger into a helmet with a non-poisonous spike might work, if you weren't small sized. You might find a tanner skilled enough to fashion a properly sized one though.

With enough magical skill added the stinger could be fashioned into a magical weapon of some sort, with functioning poison for a single poison sting a day (you'd have to ask yer DM in any of these cases)

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  20:29:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Balance always become a problem when home rules are used.

Setting aside the cost of what Gendar would charge for service.

A stinger by itself of 1'8" wielded by a 3'6" could fall into long sword or bastard sword range. Of course one does not need to look at sword, the item could make a very good spear.

The stinger by design is basically a spear. It is a stabbing item with a sharp point on the end.

I would propose special abilities and immunities of what ever weapon chosen to be crafted.

Immune to acid
Ability to inflict acid damage, this though likely should be limited to effective use per day or up to 100 charges before expended.

Clearly a weapon smith could add magical bonuses.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  20:48:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A horn that shoots Melf's Acid Arrow, or some 4e equivalent, when blown.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GerbenDekker
Acolyte

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  21:00:52  Show Profile Send GerbenDekker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind, funny you should mention the heart. My minotaur companion has its heart, and he's not exactly known for being the intelligent guy of our party. I'll tell his player about the rumoured immortality, that'll make for a nice play next time

The point is actually, I've thought of making it into a sword, a falchion actually (for game-technical reasons), or a helmet, or boots. The helmet and spear ideas are actually not too bad tbh But Gendar's not a weapon or an armor smith, so I'm not sure if that would be consistent with his role as a salesperson of (magical) antiques - please tell me if I'm being nitpicky, though.
I could use the stinger for a wand, but I've already found a nice Wand of Eldritch Rain. Doesn't mean it's not an option, but why replace a good wand when, say, my bard's neck-slot is still unused, eh?

I'm not sure, would an amulet with the daily immediate reaction power to release an acid cloud on taking damage be too powerful? Or maybe a brooch that can absorb half of shadow damage taken 1/day? I'm thinking along the lines of a level 2-3 magical item here; my character is half-way through level 4.

Thanks for thinking along btw! Much appreciated

Edit:
Haha! I love the Horn of Melf's Acid Arrow idea! Since my character's a bard, a horn would be well in sync for my gnome. Interesting idea

Edit:
I liked the idea of the Acid Arrow Horn so much, I went ahead and thought of a little something for it:

Herald of Dragon Death (The item's name, I thought a unique name was in place here )

Fashioned from a black dragon’s stinger, blowing this horn produces a sound resembling the screech of a black dragon near death, along with a potent acidic magic arrow.

Wondrous Item 1800 gp (Thus equalling a level 6 magic item)

Power (Daily * Acid): Standard action. When you blow this horn, an arrow of green liquid shoots at one of your foes. Make an attack: Ranged 10; +5 vs. Reflex. When you hit, the target takes 1d6 acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends). On a miss, the power is expended.

I thought it to be a fairly okay item, if not somewhat on the powerful side. It's not too much is it?

Thanks for the idea!

Edited by - GerbenDekker on 07 May 2011 21:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  03:40:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Nice. There you go.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  10:57:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The horn is a pretty interesting idea. Using the stinger as a sword is an option too, and I'd rather say a Longsword would work well here. Also, you don't have to use the whole stinger, so it could even service as a Rod or Wand as well.

quote:
Originally posted by GerbenDekker

Herald of Dragon Death (The item's name, I thought a unique name was in place here )

Fashioned from a black dragon’s stinger, blowing this horn produces a sound resembling the screech of a black dragon near death, along with a potent acidic magic arrow.

Wondrous Item 1800 gp (Thus equalling a level 6 magic item)

Power (Daily * Acid): Standard action. When you blow this horn, an arrow of green liquid shoots at one of your foes. Make an attack: Ranged 10; +5 vs. Reflex. When you hit, the target takes 1d6 acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends). On a miss, the power is expended.

I'd also note that you make a Ranged attack with the horn (thus Dex + 1/2 level + 5 vs. Reflex). The damage isnt too bad, but I'll have to consult the AV and AV2 for relative damage at that level. I think it looks pretty interesting myself.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  18:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the horn idea, but if you're interested in going the standard weapon route, consider:

Poisoned Weapon enchantment from Adventurer's Vault: daily power to deal ongoing poison and weaken, always deals poison damage (not ongoing) on a critical hit.

Or the similar:

Assassin's Weapon enchantment from Adventurer's Vault: daily power to deal ongoing poison, and always deals ongoing poison damage on a critical hit.

Also the Alfsair spear from AV2 is a little more exotic, but is really great for druids or shamans. It does poison and psychic damage (could manifest as the dragon's screams of rage in a victim's mind?), and you can daze an enemy on a crit.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000