Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  12:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaigns, there are the lightning aparitions of the Setite priest Thulsa Doom (James Earl Jones character in Conan the Barbarian movie)...

... not to mention that the almost incredible Captain Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl ride the waves of the Sea of the Fallen Stars, to despair of Miklos Selkirk and an ever increasing number of Captains...

And I have to mention the character of a player in the group, and arrogant (redundant?) Silvanesti bladesinger...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  13:26:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

And I have to mention the character of a player in the group, and arrogant (redundant?) Silvanesti bladesinger...
Most Silvanesti are... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  15:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imported a batman like character to Waterdeep. Cloak of the Bat, Damage reduction, thunderstones, alchemical toys galore.
He was a flavor text character. No PC's have ever run into him. More like just another rumor, or some random gossip in the markets. "..standin' o'er me lookin' ter see if I wuz ded...." "He's a criminal.." "..saved my life he did!" "...out of nowhere and the gone again just like..." "...hero..." "...murderer..." "...gives me the willies tha' creature...

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!

Edited by - Fletcher on 10 May 2005 19:15:19
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  15:47:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how does he get along with the Red Shashes?
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  19:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

But how does he get along with the Red Shashes?

He avoids them if he can, works with them when they agree upon a goal, has a good/cordial working relationship with a few of the Sashes. Adamantly refuses to join. He considers them puppets of Waterdeep’s powerful who just happen to currently be doing the right thing. However he doesn’t trust them if they asked to do something stupid by their leader this mysterious “the one.”
Unlike the original bat, he prefers to work alone...no Boy Wonder for this guy.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  19:42:49  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of these "red sashes".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  19:58:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I have never heard of these "red sashes".

They are a group that is run by Durnan to help protect Waterdeep.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 May 2005 22:57:27
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  22:24:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
**Shhhh*** . . . they are run by the One . . .

Next thing you know you'll be telling people that Durnan is one of the Lords of Waterdeep . . .
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:06:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And fans of the Red Sashes can look forward to the new Waterdeep sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:10:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats awesome . . . my PCs from . . . well many a year ago used to run into them from time to time . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just heard this from a friend of mine...Seems that there's a DM who's really into anime. The players, unfortunately, had to face "a man with long hair pointing upwards. Though black, it seems he can change it to yellow, which also means he just made himself stronger." That's how the DM described Son Goku of Dragonball fame... Now I've seen everything. *sigh*

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:45:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Hoorah!... More good news .

Do we at least here about what they've been up to over the last few years?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:47:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos

I just heard this from a friend of mine...Seems that there's a DM who's really into anime. The players, unfortunately, had to face "a man with long hair pointing upwards. Though black, it seems he can change it to yellow, which also means he just made himself stronger." That's how the DM described Son Goku of Dragonball fame... Now I've seen everything. *sigh*

I like anime, and there are certain features and characters that would translate well to D&D... But Dragonball? That's just wrong.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:51:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Now that's a wonderful tease.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:57:22  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like anime, and there are certain features and characters that would translate well to D&D... But Dragonball? That's just wrong.

Amen, brother.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  03:06:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll second that.

It reminds me of a time when I mistakenly chose to game with a group of 12 year olds whose main obession was Pokemon. Aside from the idea of perhaps suggesting that the creatures themselves could translate into a form of "wizard's familiar"... the incorporation of the Pokemon into Faerun was just... disturbing to say the least .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  04:22:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
It reminds me of a time when I mistakenly chose to game with a group of 12 year olds whose main obession was Pokemon.

That sounds like some demented form of punishment from Loviatar.
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  05:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll second that.

It reminds me of a time when I mistakenly chose to game with a group of 12 year olds whose main obession was Pokemon. Aside from the idea of perhaps suggesting that the creatures themselves could translate into a form of "wizard's familiar"... the incorporation of the Pokemon into Faerun was just... disturbing to say the least .

Mind I ask how you actually agreed to game with them? Did you know of their Pokemon obsession? Pray tell they didn't come with pokeballs...please.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  05:23:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
It reminds me of a time when I mistakenly chose to game with a group of 12 year olds whose main obession was Pokemon.

That sounds like some demented form of punishment from Loviatar.

It certainly felt like it afterward... .

quote:
Mind I ask how you actually agreed to game with them? Did you know of their Pokemon obsession? Pray tell they didn't come with pokeballs...please.
It was actually because of curiosity on my part. I wanted to know how children perceived the game of D&D these days, compared to what my and my own friends experiences were like when we were first introduced to the game over fifteen years earlier.

And yes... they did bring their pokeballs to the "gaming" table .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  06:08:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It was actually because of curiosity on my part. I wanted to know how children perceived the game of D&D these days, compared to what my and my own friends experiences were like when we were first introduced to the game over fifteen years earlier.

Where did you set the game within the Realms? Your experience sounds like a subject worth a topic of its own here at Candlekeep.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 11 May 2005 06:10:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  08:03:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Where did you set the game within the Realms? Your experience sounds like a subject worth a topic of its own here at Candlekeep.

A worthy suggestion, Sirius .

Consider it done.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  18:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost forget this...

Well, I really like of the other continents of Toril, and always that´s possible, I use some character, situation, anything of Maztica and Al Qadim... but I have a little problem: I really enjoy oriental culture and flavor, but I and my players don´t have access to the Kara Tur boxed set. But (thank´s the gods for this) I put my hands in the Legend of Five Rings Campaign Setting (actual Rokugan d20), and fall in love with this scenario. Actually, as a house rule that I and GenghisKhan (the owner of the rokugan books) use, Rokugan is the oriental continent in Toril (what lead us to really fun game sessions)!

And, talking about oriental things, one of the character in my Waterdeep campaign is an half-elf shinobi ranger (using the 2nd edition Complete Ninja´s Handbook - now adaptated as a Ranger/Ninja Spy), that flee to the west to escape the vengeance of a powerful clan, and to find a cure to his accursed father. But the leader of the clan hire the services of the most famous mercenary of that continent, and ninja called Shadow (one strange guy, with a dog called Interceptor ever at his side) The fist battle between the 2 ninjas in the roofs of Waterdeep was memorable, and came to a match. Let´s see what the next game sessions will be..

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  01:48:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

But (thank´s the gods for this) I put my hands in the Legend of Five Rings Campaign Setting (actual Rokugan d20), and fall in love with this scenario. Actually, as a house rule that I and GenghisKhan (the owner of the rokugan books) use, Rokugan is the oriental continent in Toril (what lead us to really fun game sessions)!
I've often thought about this. Rokugan is a wonderfully flavored setting, that while drawing upon real-world oriental culture, does its best to further define such cultural elements in a fantasy context. So, while we may see ancient Chinese or Japanese concepts dropped into the setting, they are not used completely as is.

That being said, I still enjoy the Kara-Tur setting, however I find it IS still heavily based on real-world cultures with little exploration of its core concepts in relation to the world it is placed upon.

I think that the obstacle preventing me from adapting LotFR material for a Realms/Kara-Tur setting, is purely the amount of published material for the setting. I only have a few of the tomes, notably those dealing with the planar cosmology of Rokugan, and a few regional tomes.

Can I ask Chosen, what you have used from the Rokugan material in your FR games?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  17:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or course.

Well, I run Faerunian campaigns, so what I try to do is to incorporate some of the flavor and characteristics of Rokugan in Faerun. To be more specific:

In my Waterdeep campaign, one of the players create an half-elf ranger/ninja spy. For he to be an half-elf, we came to the conclusion that he is from the Unicorn Clan. The character, Sazaki Kamuro, is the son of a respectable ninja, Sazaki Takezo,that work to a influent daymio from the Unicorn Clan. Takezo wants, more than all, to finish his jobs and gain his freedom, to spend the rest of her time with his family. So, he go to a perilous quest for his daymio, to kill an arrogant bushi that have dishonor his master. Takezo knows that he don’t have power to confront the bushi and, (evil DM plot here), because of the council of a “trusted” Crane clan friend, he goes to the only weapon that can help him in this mission: the hidden Fukushu, the katana of Akodo Ginawa (mentioned in the tale in LotFR, and in Magic of Rokugan). The ninja steal the blade from his hidden monastery, and kill the son of the guardian of the blade, that cursed the ninja. With that powerful weapon, Takezo kill the arrogant bushi, and gain his freedom, but now he know that, sooner or later, the consequence of his acts will catch him.

Well, that dastards Cranes that plot all of this, tell to the Lion Clan who was the thief that stole the evil artifact, and the Lion and the Unicorn clan almost start a war! But the hand of fate change the things, and the scion, ex guardian of the sword, act first, and hire a wu jen, that cursed the old Takezo. If the son of Takezo, Sazaki Kamuro, don´t carry the katana back to the monastery, his father will die. He have 2 years to do and think about it, seeing his father in suspended animation, and seeing his clan going to a desnecessary war against the military force of the Lion. But Kamuro flee to the west, to the fabulous lands of the ancestors of his elven mother, carrying his family and the evil artifact. The alarmed Crane became desperate, because if Kamuro´s father recover from this state, he will be a very potential problem, because he is the only person that knows the Crane are behind the scenes. So the Crane send a powerful mercenary, a ninja called Shadow (from the Snes rpg Final Fantasy VI), to kill all the Sazaki family.

Well, after many adventures, Kamuro came to Waterdeep, know the other characters of the group, became (together with the group) an free-agent of Khelben Arunsum (that promises to search for a cure to Takezo), and came to use the evil katana (that is changing his aligment), and finally came to confront the mercenary that wants his head.

Meantime, in Rokugan, the leader of the Unicorn (that trust in the loyalty of Sazaki family above all) came to a desperate move. He contacted one Hida general (Crab Clan) and ask him a favor. The emperor want to open an embassy (I spell the term right?) in “that distant and uncivilized west”, in a city called Silverymoon. The Unicorn know of the innocence of Sazaki Takezo, and came to know that Shadow was sent to kill him and his family. So, he ask to Hida send one of their more trusted man, to be the diplomat leader of the embassy, and to, when the time comes, discover where the Sazaki are, and to protect him. No Unicorn will be permited in this voyage, because of the problem with the trusted Lion clan, and Hida agreed with the request of his friend. So he send Hida Soujirou, one samurai of the Crab Clan to complete this quest. With him, go one shugenja from the Dragon Clan, one rogue/courtier from the Scorpion Clan, and one Samurai/Iaijutsu Master from the Crane Clan (an spy to see what the Crab wants and, is possible, to kill Kamuro – and Soujirou, if he came to know too much). And with them, go a great staff of scribes, sages, and so on.

Hida Soujirou is the character of one of my players in my North Campaign (that will, in the future, encounter the group of the Waterdeep Campaign, because of this plot development). The others are npcs that I´m using to give some real different approach in the campaign. They are well established in Silverymoon, and going to very good adventures. It´s funny see the Scorpion in Alustriel court (he is one of the good guys, but Soujirou think the contrary – Oh, how I love it!). The shugenja is an “I don´t like adventure! I don´t like danger!” type that´s very funny to roleplay, specially his interaction with the sages and scribes from the occident. And so on.

Basically, I use the Campaign Setting and the Clan books to develop the characters. And, for the crunch factor, I use the Magic of Rokugan, and the Way of the Samurai/Shugenja/Ninja, and the Oriental Adventures. To don´t compromise the FR history, I put Rokugan in the eastern limit of the continent, and left an Shou Lung (not yet developed – I really don´t have access to Kara Tur infos) and his great wall between Rokugan and the Hordelands. So, the primal oriental race that appears in Faerun is the shou, but one or other rokugani came too, when the great horde made all that mess in the continents.

Well, that is it. I expect that this give you an idea of what I do, Sage.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  02:44:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it does. I also have enjoyed how you have incorporated the Clans into your Kara-Tur setting. Very interesting.

I notice however that you didn't bring any elements of the Shadowlands into your interpretation. That is the one area of Rokugan that I've recently been concentrating on for bringing into my FR games.

Since Kara-Tur has a separate cosmology, I was thinking about using the Shadowlands, with slight modifications that represent a more D&D-feel - like for example, Shadow Plane and Ethereal Plane effects - and adjust some of its effects on the surrounding Realms/Kara-Tur landscape. Of course, whether I have it as a Material-based demi-plane... is another matter entirely and one I haven't really thought too much about yet.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  13:19:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, I don´t think too much in the Shadowlands... not yet.

The groups are, at this moment, learning the strange ways of the ocident, so I´m more focused in intrigue and crazy trips in Faerun. But, to the Waterdeep group, I´m thinking in prepare a good voyage to Rokugan. The persecution to the Sazaki family is coming to an end, and, if everything stay well, father and son will need to go to Rokugan to put and end in their problems. And, of course, the group will go together: a heartland barbarian, a watherdavian bard, a red wizard of thay, and a shield dwarf fighter. This will be very interesting...

An so is my time to start to think about the Shadowland stuff: and if the Crane bushi that´s moving the pieces of this mortal game of power is tainted by the Shadowlands? Or blackmailed? And I really have to develop a way to incorporate the Shadowlands in Toril... yes, yes... time to put the ol´head to work

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:45:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've been thinking about how I would represent the Shadowlands Taint in the Realms. If the Shadowlands are in fact a demi-plane that exists in the Material sphere... then the application of the Taint becomes rather simple. However, the only really appropriate place to locate the Shadowlands would be in the Endless Wastes, and I have other ideas for that region.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if it was an intersection, a point, a blob where an island of the Ethereal Plane stay locked in Toril? Maybe this work, and give some "Ravenloft flavor" to deal with the place...

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I've been thinking about how I would represent the Shadowlands Taint in the Realms. If the Shadowlands are in fact a demi-plane that exists in the Material sphere... then the application of the Taint becomes rather simple. However, the only really appropriate place to locate the Shadowlands would be in the Endless Wastes, and I have other ideas for that region.

If you don't already have Unearthed Arcana then you should pick it up; it has taint rules.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Jindael. I will sneak... err... search in one friends books for this tome, so...

Have you already used taint rules or know someone that used?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000