Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  11:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Cosa themsa not dumb. Though theirsa asent ticks manysa people off. And theysa reely be- *A large claymore cleaves the speaker in half* That's for doing a bad gungan imitation! *Takes the corpse and feeds it to the nearby ewok tribe*

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  16:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imported a little bit of Terry Goodkind's Wizards, and the creatures Miswrith.
I love those little buggers and their nasty tri-blade daggers. I made them sonic. I made their cloaks a wonderful trap for the wizardly. For only 1 spell level you could have 10 minutes of improved invisibility. Just dump that unwanted light spell and go.
Now the trap was, that after 10 uses of the cloak, the wearer did not want to remove it.
After 20 he developed a little rash.
After 30 he started to withdraw from the party. Strange dreams started to happen.
After 40 his eyes changed to have vertical pupils. The dreams happened while awake.
After 50 tiny soft scales appeared on his skin. And the user tried to leave the party and go into rugged mountains.
After 75 uses the wearer burned a permanent CON and cocooned. In 1 week he emerged an NPC miswrith.

The daggers used in pairs could be chimed together to activate their sonic properties. Use of the daggers follows the cloak. Use of both, you add uses together. Each dagger counts as one use. Wielding the sonic property counts as 2 uses.
To help the PC's want to use the daggers I made them a 3d4 damage dagger with an extra 2d6 sonic damage. Brutal weapon...just a time limit on use.
After 20 uses of the daggers the wielder begins to use the daggers as a primary weapon.
After 30 uses the wielder will activate the sonic property just to hear the music of the blades.
After 40 uses the wielder has the eyes get vertical pupils, and dreams.
After 50 uses the scales appear the wielder attempts to move on into rugged mountains.
After 75 uses, the wielder activates the blades and burns a permanent CON and becomes an NPC Miswrith.

If the user of either item picks them back up after being cured, they resume the curse at 5x speed until they reach where they were cured last time, and then they proceed as normal.

Luckily? the only person to used the items was a half elven fighter/wizard and he used the items extremely well, the player more than the character was becoming addicted to the items, I never had to play up the curse aspect, as he wouldn't willingly let them go. Despite his proclivity to use the items, he only made it to 40+ uses before the party jumped him and used copious healing, dispelling and removal of curses to return him to normal.
The recovered wizard was wise enough to never try again. The whole experience made him so paranoid of Miswrith that he made up several spells just to aid in their detection and destruction.
Did I mention I love the Miswrith? Thank you Mr. Goodkind!

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  16:57:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Goodkind, I've changed the Mord-sith and made them part of Loviatar's church. :)

And I've snagged Hamiliton's fey. I like hers since they seem different then normal fey.

I'm sure I've probably also taken other material for hundreds of sources and added it in so it made sense.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 May 2005 17:22:47
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason every time I import something into the Realms it all ends in a huge bloodbath, and I really have no idea why. For instance when I moved a tribe of Protoss to the wealdath. All went well until the stupid Sy`telquessir thought they were monsters and shot one of them. The protoss promptly wiped out all the elves in the forest.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:05:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

And I've snagged Hamiliton's fey. I like hers since they seem different then normal fey.
I've often been intrigued by the possibilities...

How well do they handle in the Realms?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:14:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

They seem to work out just fine. I don't see any reasons why they would be a problem..... There were unseelie and seelie courts in 2e so. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:39:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaign now, deep in Cormanthyr near the Beastlands in Mistledale there is a sort of war between quicklings and brownies, which are now imported from Necromancer Games Tome of Horrors, though originally they were native creatures, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They seem to work out just fine. I don't see any reasons why they would be a problem..... There were unseelie and seelie courts in 2e so. :)

And the Spellbound boxed set introduced Seelie and Unseelie fae into the Realms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:23:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And the Spellbound boxed set introduced Seelie and Unseelie fae into the Realms.

Yup, as did the Evermeet sourcebook. Pity that WOTC originally decided to remove those courts from FR but I won't name names on who did that. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:03:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it is, I've been rather satisfied with the Bastion Press tome, Faeries. I've already expanded a great deal on what was originally presented for the Seelie and Unseelie Courts as detailed in Spellbound and Evermeet.

Consider that something else I've ported into the Realms .

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I the only person who didn't have a problem with Ewoks?

Hey, I love the fuzzy little guys, I just thought it would be fun to encounter a group of them. I was going to have one of the survivors be a recurring thorn in the sides of my players, but decided that was just too silly.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  19:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As it is, I've been rather satisfied with the Bastion Press tome, Faeries. I've already expanded a great deal on what was originally presented for the Seelie and Unseelie Courts as detailed in Spellbound and Evermeet.

If I remember correctly, Mythic Races by Fantasy Flight has a good 3ed write up for these races.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  23:49:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it's almost a given that that particular tome gets brought into the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  02:16:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know... Although, you'd be surprised by some of the reactions I receive on other boards when I mention that I've made significant use of a non-FR tome (in this case, Faeries) to support in-depth elements in my FR campaigns.

I hazard to mention the amount of PS material that I also use... .

Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  04:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry to bring this back...but to stay on topic, i'd like to import the return of Bhaal into the next campaign we play...i'll talk to my DM...
any ideas how or what this will involve?

just for ideas sake

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  04:55:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charon

sorry to bring this back...but to stay on topic, i'd like to import the return of Bhaal into the next campaign we play...i'll talk to my DM...

just for ideas sake

What are your reasons for wanting him to return?
Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  05:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

1.he's awesome
2.the twisted genius he possesses of thinking up the plethora of grisly and elegant deaths
3. i'd like an excuse for my wonderful character to continue dealing destruction by having someone to worship
4. the chaos it would cause in the realms would be worth it(he would return with a vengeance...hating everything - wanting the death of the gods that opposed him, especially Cyric...of course he would have to return strongern than before and perhaps he could do this by gaining power from the many murders his followers would complete -think about it, he'd make a great villian that would suit any high level campaign)etc
5. my character could become a chosen of Bhaal...how cool would that position be? what sort of powers could one gain?
neway, i could go on rambling and put you all through the torture of what i have to say...however i apologise for this and await your exciting responses

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to mention why, or provide any more details, but I've got to say it:

Ash(Evil Dead Ash, quite obviously) is now running around the Shining South in my FR games.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:11:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I'm not going to mention why, or provide any more details, but I've got to say it:

Ash(Evil Dead Ash, quite obviously) is now running around the Shining South in my FR games.

Has he got the boomstick and the chainsaw hand?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Has he got the boomstick and the chainsaw hand?

Of course.

No car, though-just boomstick, chainsaw, and chemistry textbook.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:13:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

just for ideas sake

That's changing an existing Realms element... It's not really importing something from outside the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  06:15:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, its obvious that I have a 10 year old . . . I had to picture Ash from Pokemon running around trying to catch nagas and wemics in a pokeball . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  14:40:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, its obvious that I have a 10 year old . . . I had to picture Ash from Pokemon running around trying to catch nagas and wemics in a pokeball . . .

"I choose you, spirit naga!"

"Naga naga naga!"

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  18:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1.he's awesome
2.the twisted genius he possesses of thinking up the plethora of grisly and elegant deaths
3. i'd like an excuse for my wonderful character to continue dealing destruction by having someone to worship
4. the chaos it would cause in the realms would be worth it(he would return with a vengeance...hating everything - wanting the death of the gods that opposed him, especially Cyric...of course he would have to return strongern than before and perhaps he could do this by gaining power from the many murders his followers would complete -think about it, he'd make a great villian that would suit any high level campaign)etc
5. my character could become a chosen of Bhaal...how cool would that position be? what sort of powers could one gain?
neway, i could go on rambling and put you all through the torture of what i have to say...however i apologise for this and await your exciting responses
[/quote]

You know, Dragon magazing has offered several ways to incorporate Bhaal into a campaign.
1. You can still worship Bhaal no problem, he still has a number of followers
2. There is a prestige class called Deathstalker of Bhaal out of Dragon, which is excellent, I can't remember the issue number, but I'll look it up and post it for you.
3. Another issue of Dragon has the Bhaalspawn template, which is really cool, again, I'll have to look up the issue #
4. Your DM could work a campaign around your character trying to resurrect Bhaal, rather than changing Realms history to just drop Bhaal back into the Pantheon.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  02:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje, I’m curious, how exactly do you use Hammilton’s Fey in the realms?

I’d love to see any information you have, via PM if necessary.

Thanks. ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  03:11:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

quote:

Thanks. ^_^

It's not that hard since there's always been seelie and unseelie fey in D&D and in FR.

So I kept the courts. Thier powers.... Thier appearance.. Etc.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  06:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our old AD&D group's equipment list still includes the following:
- BlasTech E-11 "ISR-1" Blaster Rifle
- BlasTech DL-30 Compact Blaster Pistol
- 2x Class C Thermal Detonator
- Minimi M249 SAW
- .45 Winchester Magnum
- A pair of Adidas

So sue us. The material planes were metling together, couldn't help ourselves... Those guns just looked too cool :P

A thing I personnally included for fun once was a Predator. Works extremely well and easy, actually... And he killed the Knights of Myth Drannor, which is a plus :P

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  06:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks. ^_^

It's not that hard since there's always been seelie and unseelie fey in D&D and in FR.

So I kept the courts. Thier powers.... Thier appearance.. Etc.

I ask because there is almost nothing written about the Seelie court in her work, except some stereotypical “corrupt nobility” and arrogance and her Unseelie court, while promising in the start with it’s political intrigue, has descended into…well, corrupt nobility.

I was just seeing if you’ve done anything different with it. I’ve lifted a little of the flavor for my elves, but it’s a serious case of cherry picking. Her Fey seem to capture the chaotic feel much more than the “Tolkien-Clone-Lawful” elves that seem to plague modern fantasy.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  06:46:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I ask because there is almost nothing written about the Seelie court in her work, except some stereotypical “corrupt nobility” and arrogance and her Unseelie court, while promising in the start with it’s political intrigue, has descended into…well, corrupt nobility.

I was just seeing if you’ve done anything different with it. I’ve lifted a little of the flavor for my elves, but it’s a serious case of cherry picking. Her Fey seem to capture the chaotic feel much more than the “Tolkien-Clone-Lawful” elves that seem to plague modern fantasy.

Like I said, I took mostly thier appearance, powers, and used the Unseelie of her books to add details to D&D's version. :)

Cherry picking, aye basically. :) But I've done that for years. Same with Goodkind's Mord Sith. They are perfect for Loviatar's clergy. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  07:09:59  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Like I said, I took mostly thier appearance, powers, and used the Unseelie of her books to add details to D&D's version. :)

Cherry picking, aye basically. :) But I've done that for years. Same with Goodkind's Mord Sith. They are perfect for Loviatar's clergy. :)

When I read about the Mord Sith I thought, "How did Loviatar get all the way over here? Those were some scaaaaaaaary ladies.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000