Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What have you imported into the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:15:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma
I would think Bane would probably seek an alliance with Bhaal. The return of Bhaal may just give Bane that little extra something to finally get rid of Cyric. Then if we could just resurrect Myrkul, hmmmm...

Sounds like you wish the ToT never took place.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I would think Bane would probably seek an alliance with Bhaal. The return of Bhaal may just give Bane that little extra something to finally get rid of Cyric. Then if we could just resurrect Myrkul, hmmmm...

Personally, it's not so much the ToT as the deaths of Myrkul, Bane and Bhaal that I wish hadn't happened. They were much more interesting than that incompetent buffoon Cyric. I'm so glad that at least Bane is back...
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:36:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, Bhaal never really impressed me before his death. I almost think most people's affection for him stems from the retrofit of his reputation that occured in Baldur's Gate. Before that novel, the most action that he really got into was in the Moonshaes.

Myrkul is still lurking in the Crown of Horns of course. Gods have a really hard time staying dead completely. I guess they are only "Mostly Dead."

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  14:50:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
Gods have a really hard time staying dead completely. I guess they are only "Mostly Dead."

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry . . . my step son had to film a scene from "The Princess Bride" for his drama class.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah, that's just seems to be the probable outcome if Bhaal were resurrected. (Except for the Myrkul part, I meant that to be silly.)

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:48:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble
Obviously not, but will there be a religious war? Will Cyric and Bane team up against Bhaal? Could be a cool novel...

Myrkul's still around, he's just not a god, and not interested in regaining the position.

This thread seems to be going astray from its topic, though.... Maybe we could move the Bhaal/Cyric talk to another thread?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry . . . my step son had to film a scene from "The Princess Bride" for his drama class.

Surely you don't have to apologize for a Princess Bride quote

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Surely you don't have to apologize for a Princess Bride quote

Alrighty then...I'm curious what you master readers think of the Bhaal/Cyric thing

Jesus saves... and takes Ā½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  18:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Myrkul's still around, he's just not a god, and not interested in regaining the position.

This thread seems to be going astray from its topic, though.... Maybe we could move the Bhaal/Cyric talk to another thread?

I concur, thanks for that tug on the reigns Wooly

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  18:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all the interesting Cyric/Bane/Bhaal discussion, I nearly forgot my orignal post. The most ridiculous thing I ever imported was a tribe of Ewoks, who were transported to Faerun through an accidental portal that opened on the Forest Moon of Endor. Anyway, this tribe had been living and prospering in secrecy for years in a secluded forest (I can't remember which one) until my adventurers stumbled upon them. I did it as an April Fool's joke on my players, and it was great. Upon hearing my description of the creatures they were interacting with, one of my players laid his forehead on the table and said, "Oh man, they're <expletive deleted> Ewoks." The Ewoks in true ROTJ fashion tried to capture the party for food, and were summarily destroyed. As a matter of fact, the half-orc in the party cooked and ate one. MMMMMM... eeeewok...

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  18:31:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With all the interesting Cyric/Bane/Bhaal discussion, I nearly forgot my orignal post. The most ridiculous thing I ever imported was a tribe of Ewoks, who were transported to Faerun through an accidental portal that opened on the Forest Moon of Endor. Anyway, this tribe had been living and prospering in secrecy for years in a secluded forest (I can't remember which one) until my adventurers stumbled upon them. I did it as an April Fool's joke on my players, and it was great. Upon hearing my description of the creatures they were interacting with, one of my players laid his forehead on the table and said, "Oh man, they're <expletive deleted> Ewoks." The Ewoks in true ROTJ fashion tried to capture the party for food, and were summarily destroyed. As a matter of fact, the half-orc in the party cooked and ate one. MMMMMM... eeeewok...

I think that's an excellent example of importing something into the Realms for a humorous gaming session. Alas, I'll try to find a tear to shed for the poor Ewoks......

nope, still trying

And pray tell....did any future rangers of the group pick Ewok as a favored enemy?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  20:11:41  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think that's an excellent example of importing something into the Realms for a humorous gaming session. Alas, I'll try to find a tear to shed for the poor Ewoks......

nope, still trying

And pray tell....did any future rangers of the group pick Ewok as a favored enemy?

Hmm......I`ll think I“ll do something like that, only with a tribe of wookies from Kaashyyk! Then we`ll see who it is that`s going to do the cooking!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  22:55:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only person who didn't have a problem with Ewoks? I actually like watching the Ewoks fighting the Empire (high-tech getting beat by Stone Age tech, gotta love it!). And if I played the SW RPG, I'd be real tempted to try to play an Ewok Jedi...

On the topic of imported furry arboreal critters... Has anyone used kercpa in the Realms? They're intelligent squirrels, for those who don't recognize the name.

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:13:02  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I the only person who didn't have a problem with Ewoks? I actually like watching the Ewoks fighting the Empire (high-tech getting beat by Stone Age tech, gotta love it!). And if I played the SW RPG, I'd be real tempted to try to play an Ewok Jedi...

On the topic of imported furry arboreal critters... Has anyone used kercpa in the Realms? They're intelligent squirrels, for those who don't recognize the name.

As if the little monsters weren't bothersome enough without substantial intellect! (Kidding, I had a pet red squirrel for a while, he was the cuddliest little guy...)

I can't recall that I've ever imported anything into my Realms campaigns to date, but I do have and interesting idea for portalling over a member of one of the races in my homebrew world and having him become a divine champion of Chauntea or some such thing (since she's the closest thing to that particular race's concept of their creator deity.) Aside from that the only things non-specific to Faerun that ever made it into one of my games was an Elan psychic warrior PC.

I'm more of the type to make things up than to snag them from another setting. I may draw inspiration from a source, but in most ways the resemblance will only be superficial.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:36:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Show of hands . . . is anyone surprised that the giant space hampster is the one to come to the defence of the cannibal teddy bears?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:40:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Show of hands . . . is anyone surprised that the giant space hampster is the one to come to the defence of the cannibal teddy bears?

Hey! Watch it! :) I loved the ewoks also. They're made the movie for me as a kid.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:42:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Kuje . . . I respect them BECAUSE they are cannibal teddy bears . . . what do you think happened to all those storm troopers whose helmets they used for drums, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  01:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The cute little ewoks surrounded the lone storm trooper, their spears and knives ready. The storm trooper didn't have time to fire, as they pounced on him, their weapons going at work. After several minutes, the trooper was found roasting on a spit.

Forgot where this came from, but the poor trooper...

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:13:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are also only about 1ft. tall. The originally appeared in Dragon Magazine.

I've thought about using them, having them possibily occupy the southern reaches of Moonwood in the North, but I just haven't found a suitable conversion for them to 3e.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2005 02:15:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:18:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well King Davyd, last monarch of the Kingdom of Man, is named after one of the most famous players/characters in a MUD I used to frequent called The Edge of Darkness. I'm sure I've slipped in some other stuff along the way also ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:49:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To each his/her own...no matter how strange.

But, if there is a scribe out there who has imported Jar Jar into the Realms, please do me a favor....

don't share that information.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:51:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And if I played the SW RPG, I'd be real tempted to try to play an Ewok Jedi...
Actually, as I recall, there are a number of Force Sensitive Ewoks already running around...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:56:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But, if there is a scribe out there who has imported Jar Jar into the Realms, please do me a favor....

don't share that information.

Him I'd have killed with a large fireball, just like Cyric, Kelemvor, and Midnight. :) ToT's, me? Nay! I loved that event. :)

Hey someone had to bring this back on topic!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  03:26:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the gungans as a whole race though?

Has any scribe here actually thought about incorporating them into their FR campaigns? Perhaps they reside along the depths of the Great Sea, in their fabulous "bubble cities"...

Edited by - The Sage on 05 May 2005 03:28:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  04:53:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They actually have already been mentioned in SoFS. You see, the colonies of Deep Netheril were created by Netherese who had altered their forms to look like gungans. Thankfully, almost the entire population of the Inner Sea banded together to eradicate them.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  05:01:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What about the gungans as a whole race though?

Has any scribe here actually thought about incorporating them into their FR campaigns? Perhaps they reside along the depths of the Great Sea, in their fabulous "bubble cities"...

I did think of a sort-of bubble city (and I think I mentioned it here, too), but it didn't have anything to do with gungans.

quote:
An idea that has wandered thru my mind was that of a Netherese city that was built on the ocean floor, with a dome of air above it. I'd set it somewhere off the Sword Coast, more to the North than the South, and certainly not terribly close to any settled areas.

When Netheril fell, the air shield dissipated. Thus many, many Netherese were either drowned or crushed by the sudden pressure... and some are still around as some weird magically adept form of undead!

I'd not make them liches, but I'd certainly give them a good degree of power. And of course, they keep the area around their city free of all the other intelligent races -- the undersea races have learned that that area is forbidden, though they may not remember the reasons why. After all, it has been 1700 years.

Now, to involve the PCs... Maybe one has some connection to an undersea race (or a prominent NPC does). These undead Netherese are for some reason now expanding their territory, and there's a settlement that is now threatened by this... Actually, it could even be an island settlement that the Netherese have for some reason decided to eradicate.

Another possibility is that Umberlee has noticed these guys, and wants to expand her worship into their city... So the PCs have to somehow prevent this...

Or the head of the Kraken Society has discovered these guys, and wants the power they represent. So the KS would use the PCs as unwitting pawns to contact these Netherese, and perhaps forge some sort of pact with them. The PCs succeed, but then find out what they've really done!

Anyway, some ideas from the random depths of me mind.

Someone asked me:

Wooly, by dome of air I'm assuming you mean something similar, or like the properties offered by the unique mythal that surrounded Myth Nantar that allows land-dwellers to breathe air when underwater?.
quote:

Well, as I recall, the mythal over Myth Nantar allows both air breathers and water breathers to breath normally. That was not what I had in mind.

I was picturing some major, mythallar-linked spell that actually created a dome of breathable air over the city. That way, the inhabitants could live their lives normally -- they'd not need to waterproof their spellbooks or tie their dirty clothes to the floor to keep them from floating off.

So for all intents, it'd be like a city anywhere in Faerūn -- it's just got water overhead and to the sides.

At least, that's how it was, before Karsus cast his Ultimate Mistake spell and ruined everything.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2005 05:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  05:05:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They actually have already been mentioned in SoFS. You see, the colonies of Deep Netheril were created by Netherese who had altered their forms to look like gungans. Thankfully, almost the entire population of the Inner Sea banded together to eradicate them.

-- George Krashos

"Meesa Netheresa! Meesa cast maxi-bombad spell at yousa!"

(I think I need to hide after that one. I certainly need to wash my hands! )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  06:13:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that is probably a good idea Wooly .

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  11:31:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I`m the blood god, the lord of skulls, and I like the ewoks.
Ps. Why is it that everyone seems to hate the gungans? Jar Jar is a bit irritating sometimes(mostly I think he`s fun)but what`s the problem with the rest of his species?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000