Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The "Perfect" Elven Group
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  18:04:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm starting a new game with my family in the Dales.

The party will consist of my wife and friend, as well as five children.

My wife and friend will each be playing 3rd level characters; a female Druid and a Male Ranger. The children are playing 1st level characters; a male fighter, a male thief, a male ranger, a female wizard and a female cleric. All of the characters will be from an extended Moon Elf family.

The rules we are using are 3.5 for this particular game.

What I would like to ask is if any of you have any particular thoughts on a different variation on this group. Suggestions?

Also, where/how would you start a group like this?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  20:15:06  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds great, Dalor

Good choice with the Dales. Personally i'd go for Deepingdale due to the close proximity of Moonrise Hill, Bristar, and Highmoon.

I'd love to know how it all goes.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  22:13:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only possible change might be lose st ranger and replace with 1st bard. The party should have a better ability to deal with concerns if one of the 1sts become out of combat.

The bard can replace the thief if injured, can fight reasonable well and has some spell casting ability sooner then the ranger.

Perfect parties can never be built depending on what they encounter. Of course having a player playing a PC they do not like because of class is not a good idea either.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  23:17:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the boys are scrappy and all the girls are spellcasters, eh?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  01:01:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

All the boys are scrappy and all the girls are spellcasters, eh?

Weird how that worked out huh!?

I talked to them about how things are done for each class, and that is how they worked out. The girls seemed to be more inclined to casting spells and not being quite as tough.

Essentially, my wife and friend are elves that have already been out in the world (and are 3rd level), and they are simply helping the younger elves (who are 1st level) to "learn the ropes" as it were.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  01:16:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take it the male not willing to become a Bard instead of being a Ranger..

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  01:34:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I take it the male not willing to become a Bard instead of being a Ranger..

Dead set on being a Ranger like "Uncle" is.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  15:34:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I would assume the "mechanically perfect group" would be the same for Elves as it would be the same for any other race, since Elves don't have any innate powers or anything like that that might allow for the replacement of one a class that is seen as "essential".

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  18:04:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dead.

Preferably dismembered.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  19:43:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Dead.

Preferably dismembered.

With no sarcasm intended...I tried to get them to play a group of dwarves instead; but they didn't like the idea.

Next I tried Gnomes (my wife loves gnomes) and still there was resistance.

Halflings were out before we even began...because I am the one that doesn't like halflings. Well, except as trap springers...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  00:54:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great party to me!

So who brought the feywine? Oh, wait- wrong kind of party....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 10 Apr 2012 00:55:38
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  05:57:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dead.

Preferably dismembered.

Wouldn't it be too obvious if I second this?!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:22:15  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked running groups with strong bonds, shared identity, and prior knowledge of each others characters.

This fits the bill.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  04:29:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mechanically speaking, they really should look into the Races of the Wild supplement for Elven class substitutions such as the Elven Ranger and Elven Wizard ones. The elven Wizard one is espically great but I'm AFB right now so I can't post specifics. Also, the Ranger(s) might want to do a sort of team-duo with one being ranged while the othe being Melee-oriented. Also, they should make sure to keep their animal companions beefed up as they get stronger in level (along with the Druid). Also, you can look into Favored Environment instead of Enemy, which gives the same benefits of enemies but only in a particular area (which might be great for a forest, underdark, or mountains campaign.

For the Druid, I can't stress how important Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning and Natural Spell for feat selections. The first two make your spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally spells better while the thrid is practically required as a Druid wants to cast spells in Wild Shape.
Another suggestion:

• Spontaneous Rejuvenation (PHB2, p 39): Lose spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally spells. Gain the ability to sacrifice spells to give allies fast healing. Primarly useful without a standard cleric.

As for where to put it, well I like Cormanthyr and have them fight Drow. They're roughly able to take on small drow raiding parties, and after they get some levels behind them, they can really strike at the heart of their most hated bretheren!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  04:45:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips folks!

I'm excited to start this Sunday. I'll keep everyone posted.

Their first adventure is going to be a simple Message Adventure...turned ugly. Red Plumes will be involved...and I hope to help the group hate the mercenaries of Hillsfar very quickly!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  16:10:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Spontaneous Rejuvenation (PHB2, p 39): Lose spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally spells. Gain the ability to sacrifice spells to give allies fast healing. Primarly useful without a standard cleric.

-That's incredibly useful.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  16:30:55  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dead.

Preferably dismembered.

Was about to post something similar

Unless of course they are drow.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  16:32:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow make good badguys...and arrow quivers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000