Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  15:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:Eyes going back and forth: What happened to my thread?

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

To prevent further off-topicness, I'll take this discussion to PMs.

Ah. Though seriously, feel free to talk about Garbage as much as you like--or any other bands that take your fancy. Music is important to my writing process, so it's all good. Recommendations are always appreciated.

quote:

BTW Erik, and to get slightly back on topic, I remember now that I never did post that playlist for Twilight that I promised last year. Do you mind if I include it on your blog?

Go for it, man--or post it somewhere here. Wherever. I'm easy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  18:04:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Go for it, man--or post it somewhere here. Wherever. I'm easy.

Cheers

I will just leave that one hanging there........it would be no fun knocking that one out of the park.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:13:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah. Though seriously, feel free to talk about Garbage as much as you like--or any other bands that take your fancy. Music is important to my writing process, so it's all good. Recommendations are always appreciated.

My favorite bands are either Irish, Japanese, or play goofy, off-the-wall stuff. Do you really want those kinds of recommendations?

I don't know anyone whose musical taste even comes close to coinciding with mine... Heck, I don't even know all that many people that like some of my favorites!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  19:31:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My favorite bands are either Irish, Japanese, or play goofy, off-the-wall stuff. Do you really want those kinds of recommendations?

I don't know anyone whose musical taste even comes close to coinciding with mine... Heck, I don't even know all that many people that like some of my favorites!

Well if you like Irish, I put the Corrs in my top 5 favs.
Their version of When the Stars Go Blue, is brilliant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QG4HApUXoQ

Though their tone would be hard pressed to fit into a de Bie Soundtrack!!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Jul 2008 19:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself am mainly fond of such bands as Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Disturbed. But I listen to a lot of other stuff from all different genres.

Easy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  21:15:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Their version of When the Stars Go Blue, is brilliant.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QG4HApUXoQ

I do like the Corrs, and have all their albums (including both versions of Talk On Corners, and the Japanese release of Andrea Corr's album, which had an extra track). They're not quite a favorite, though. Maybe a second favorite.

Since Erik did ask, and says he does different genres... My personal faves, in no particular order:

Flogging Molly
Gaelic Storm
B'z
TM Revolution
The Presidents of the United States of America
Weird Al Yankovic

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:06:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do like the Corrs, and have all their albums (including both versions of Talk On Corners, and the Japanese release of Andrea Corr's album, which had an extra track). They're not quite a favorite, though. Maybe a second favorite.

Since Erik did ask, and says he does different genres... My personal faves, in no particular order:

Flogging Molly
Gaelic Storm
B'z
TM Revolution
The Presidents of the United States of America
Weird Al Yankovic

Weird Al...oh yeah, I had White and Nerdy down for your soundtrack along time ago Wooly one!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  00:09:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I myself am mainly fond of such bands as Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Disturbed. But I listen to a lot of other stuff from all different genres.

Easy.

Cheers

A Perfect Circle is pretty darn good, but for Me always feel short of what Maynard did with Tool on Undertow. That album is easliy an all time fave and seems to fit your writing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  01:53:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I won't even go into the kinds of classical music and experimental musical types that I like. They're actually quite diverse, and most people not already familiar with the genre usually won't have any idea what I'm talking about.

As for actual bands though... my tastes don't vary too much, usually focusing on the symphonic metal-stylings [with heavy classical influences] of one or two bands from Finland and the Netherlands.
quote:

Weird Al Yankovic
I actually remember deliberately purchasing two copies of the soundtrack for Transformers: The Movie just so I could have a spare copy of Weird Al's songs on the CD.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  10:12:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbdz8dxJu1s&feature=related

the oddest one I like, its a bit off the wall, the video is strange though.

hadnt heard any Irish bands of note, unless danny boy counts.

Id recommend Enya myself.

sO yes if i wanted to listen any irish bands Id want a recomendation.

oh and I heard this one on nat geo music the other nite
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=74cUNONPiZs

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:21:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

hadnt heard any Irish bands of note, unless danny boy counts.

Id recommend Enya myself.

sO yes if i wanted to listen any irish bands Id want a recomendation.

Well, I've listened to a lot of music from three Irish or Irish/American groups. The Corrs is more of a pop group with Irish flavor, and some traditional stuff. Their first album (Forgiven, Not Forgotten) was their best, I think.

Gaelic Storm is also kind of a pop group, but with a lot more Irish flavor. They do more of the traditional Irish stuff, too, and at least a couple of the songs are entirely in Irish. Just about everything of theirs is fun and upbeat. Their new album (What's the Rumpus?) is pretty good, but I also really enjoyed the third, fourth, and fifth albums (Tree, Special Reserve, and How Are We Getting Home?).

Gaelic Storm got a huge boost their popularity by appearing in a little movie about a big sinking boat. They were the band in the steerage section, doing the fun Irish stuff when the male lead took the female lead to that part of the boat. (Note: I've only seen two parts of that movie, despite -- and because of -- its rampant popularity. I saw the bit I mentioned, and when the guy is painting the pic of the girl and she's nekkid.)

Flogging Molly is Irish punk -- but they're light enough on the punk that I, someone who doesn't do punk music, still finds them quite enjoyable. My fave albums by them are their first two (Swagger and Drunken Lullabies).

I also enjoyed seeing them in concert. The first opening band was just loud, and that was all that could be said for them. The next opening band, the Scotch Greens, does music that's kind of a mix between rockabilly and punk. And then there was Flogging Molly themselves... Another highlight of the show was the fact that right next to my girlfriend and I were two attractive college girls that couldn't stop groping each other and making out. Hey, I'm a guy!

... And though I found that quite entertaining, I did quite well: by her own admission, my girlfriend never saw me paying those two girls all that that much attention. Needless to say, I was indeed very much enjoying their sideshow.

Elaine once mentioned Enter the Haggis. I love that name, but the music just isn't fun for me. I've given the Dropkick Murphies a couple of tries, too. They are a popular group, but their music was also not really to my liking.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the suggestions on the Irish Rock/Pop. I'm a Flogging Molly Fan, so y'know . . . .

Noted agreement on Tool, Sage--I like both APC and Tool, though I kinda prefer APC; I find their music smoother and more satisfying. Just a slight variation in taste, like--say--the difference between Glenlivet and Havana Club. Both equally enjoyable after their own fashions.

(Not that I'd have anything Cuban on American soil, mind! )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  16:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, who doesn't like Weird Al Yankovic?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  17:45:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

LOL, who doesn't like Weird Al Yankovic?

Actually, a lot of people think he does nothing but parodies, and don't pay any attention to him. Me, I've got all of his actual albums (not the compilations, though), the DVD with all the videos, I watched the Weird Al show when it was on, and I've seen him in concert 3 times.

An odd parallel between Weird Al and Flogging Molly that I noted when I saw the latter in concert: both use accordians.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  18:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An odd parallel between Weird Al and Flogging Molly that I noted when I saw the latter in concert: both use accordians.

I wonder if I can have my next bard use an accordian. Hrm . . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  18:02:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irish bands of note.

Thin Lizzy. Classic Heavy metal.
Rory Gallagher. The king of Irish blues.
Horselips 70's Irish folk-rock
The Pogues. Great Irish folk-punk
Van Morrison. Needs no introduction.
The Waterboys. 80's folk rock
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  19:02:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Yeah, but he'd prolly take a penalty to his Performance checks, because of it. A lot of people don't seem to like that instrument...

Years ago, I saw one of Weird Al's accordians at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando. I thought that was most cool.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  19:10:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Weird Al...oh yeah, I had White and Nerdy down for your soundtrack along time ago Wooly one!

I really do like that song, though little of it applies to me. For example, I am fluent in neither Javascript nor Klingon, I'm not a Trekkie, and my one attempt to learn Calculus lead to me dropping out of that particular college*.

And I can't recite Holy Grail really well, though I am quite familiar with it.

On the flip side, my rims are quite stationary, and I am handy with a soldering gun.

What gets me the most about that song is that it was a last minute addition to the album, recorded only because James Blunt's record label wouldn't let Weird Al put "You're Pitiful" on the album (which is why, in the video, the Wikipedia page being edited is the one for Atlantic Records). A last minute filler wound up being his most successful song ever.

*It wasn't my failure that caused this... It was just the latest in a string of complaints I had about that school. The prerequisite class didn't help at all, and the class that would have helped wasn't recommended.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  19:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but he'd prolly take a penalty to his Performance checks, because of it. A lot of people don't seem to like that instrument...

Nonsense! I'm sure we could just write the whole musical tradition into the long-standing ancestral heritage of a standard PC race. I'd say gnomes ('cuz it's not like that's ever happened ever ), but they're disqualified anyway (not a PC race anymore). Maybe halflings? Though I think the dragonborn need a racial instrument, right?

quote:

Years ago, I saw one of Weird Al's accordians at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando. I thought that was most cool.

That would be.

I've been several times to the Seattle Experience Music Project (music museum), where they have one of Kurt Cobain's tee shirts on display. Isn't all that.

The KISS outfits they have are much more impressive.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  21:35:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

Only if you promise never to call it an accordian and always refer to it as a Squeezebox!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  21:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Original posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Only if you promise never to call it an accordian and always refer to it as a Squeezebox!

Only if I can have him refer to it, in an out-RAGE-ous French Ac-CENT, as his "main-SQUEEZE" and fight with it in a two-weapon style, with the instrument in his *left* hand.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 23 Jul 2008 22:01:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  01:15:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really do like that song, though little of it applies to me. For example, I am fluent in neither Javascript nor Klingon, I'm not a Trekkie, and my one attempt to learn Calculus lead to me dropping out of that particular college*.
*The Sage quietly steps into the background... resisting the temptation to make fun of Wooly using a few choice Klingon words derived through JavaScript or throwing in an impossibly difficult Calculus equation for him to solve*

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  01:47:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*The Sage quietly steps into the background... resisting the temptation to make fun of Wooly using a few choice Klingon words derived through JavaScript or throwing in an impossibly difficult Calculus equation for him to solve*

I'd ignore both of them. It's what I already do with both Klingon and Calculus.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  01:53:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hence why I was *resisting* the temptation.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  16:37:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we're mentioning great Irish bands and on-one's mentioned Ash or Stiff Little Fingers, or the Undertones yet? Despicable!! (Okay, so SLF really only did two good songs, and Undertones never managed to recreate the magic of Teenage Kicks, but still). Oh, and Ash's former guitar-player, Charlotte Hatherley has done some outstanding solo work if you can get your hands on it.

And finally, though not Irish, anyone who's even a tiny little bit into the rockier side of folk - check out the Oxford-born liverpudlian Thea Gilmore, currently the world's most underpublicised artist (in relation to level of deserved praise).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  18:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. Here's the question.

(And this discussion applies somewhat to all FR novels that are coming out in the foreseeable future.)

Now I know some of you (Wooly, PDK, others) have some stringent and well-reasoned objections to the Realms of 4e. What I want to know is--that established and respected--how likely are you to read Downshadow, my next novel, which is set in the 4e Realms?

Personally, I think the book works regardless of lore or timeline. Though it's clearly a 4e FR novel and holds true to the 4e lore (at least what I knew/know of it at the time, and it highlights what I like best about it), it's a novel for all Realms-fans, whether they read the classic Realms novels or cut their teeth in 2e like I did, or they jumped on in 3e/3.5e, or they haven't so much as heard of these "Forgotten Realms" until 4e. Like Ghostwalker, it is very much a broad-appeal fantasy adventure rather than setting/edition-specific--as opposed to say, Depths of Madness, which was my most 3.5e mechanical novel. It doesn't make you cop to the 4e FR, either--just like you can read, say, Spellfire without conflicted loyalties regarding 1e.

So. Can you guys be persuaded to check it out even if you've set a firm anti-4e FR stance, or are we just going to be talking about my pre-4e stuff?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Jul 2008 20:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  19:42:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to stop getting novels and such, but I also don't want to support what's been done to my favorite setting.

And my objection isn't about the rules -- it's about the fact that I don't, at this time, recognize the Realms of 4E. 1E, 2E, and 3E all changed things, but the changes were all pretty basic compared to the Sellplague and its effects. As I've said more than once, I could get interested in it all if it was a new setting -- I just can't accept it as the setting I used to love.

I will pick up Downshadow, since it's set in my favorite place in the Realms. I don't know if I'll be reading any other post-Sellplague books, aside from the ones set in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have come to the resigned conclusion that as long as you (pl. the writers of various Realms novels) continue to write excellent fantasy (whether placed in the 4e Realms or not), then I will probably continue to read it. This should not in anyway be considered an endorsement of the 4e Realms, but an endorsement of your (pl) great writing.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't want to stop getting novels and such, but I also don't want to support what's been done to my favorite setting.

I understand and fully respect your stance. I understand exactly how you feel, and I have felt much the same way in the past about things.

I won't try to be preachy--just to share what I have come to decide about this sort of situation. Take it if you will.

No one likes every change. And with some changes, even MORE people don't like them. But nothing lasts forever--changes do have to happen. And when they do, that's when you've got to make your own choice whether you like them or not. And that's your choice and no one else's.

A big thing as well is that, as we age, new big changes get to be less and less appealing. We settle into things that we really like and want them to stay that way forever. I heard someone say once that you can't have your Drizzt-virginity back, for instance. Once you've read some of RAS's books, you'll never be able to look at his stuff as all-new, all-exciting anymore. Whereas people coming on board right now might go "WOW WOW" over everything, not having had the time to internalize it all.

So it is with the Realms. There's no reason to expect that you or anyone else will get your socks knocked off by all the changes or even some of the changes. It's the kinda thing where you can look them over, decide whether they're for you, and just go on playing/reading whatever edition/setting/etc you like. Or not, as you choose. You're the one making that choice, and no one can or should do it for you.

quote:
As I've said more than once, I could get interested in it all if it was a new setting -- I just can't accept it as the setting I used to love.

This is an interesting point to me. Why is that?

If I understand aright, you're saying that if it was another setting apart from FR--say "Savage Realms"--you'd still be interested in it.

What's stopping you from seeing it that way now? Under that logic, it's like there *is* a new setting, which happens to share a common history with an old, discontinued, much beloved setting.

Not saying that I *want* you to see it that way--just asking why you don't.

quote:
I will pick up Downshadow, since it's set in my favorite place in the Realms. I don't know if I'll be reading any other post-Sellplague books, aside from the ones set in Waterdeep.

Thanks. And I hope--and honestly think--you won't be disappointed. It's clearly a 4e FR book (I mean, the spellplague has happened, they talk about it, etc.), but it's meant to be a *timeless* sort of book you can enjoy even if you don't care for (or violently dislike) the spellplague or any of the other little bits of lore.

I will say that I plumbed the pre-4e Waterdeep materials fairly exactly, and compared notes frequently with Ed on "how XXX works," etc. I hope to hold true to the Waterdeep of Ed and Elaine and Steve and others. (And Ed--as one of the editors for the series and who offers great edits, let me tell you--seemed well pleased.)

Cheers

P.S. NOTE TO ALL: I do not ever want to turn this into a 4e debate thread. We're being cool and calm and respectful, of one another and of the changes to the setting, even if we don't like them.

The instant it turns hostile or we take sarcastic swipes at anyone or anything, including the setting, I'll ask you to remove your post. This is not for censorship reasons, but only because it makes me physically ill to see that sort of negativity. I'll ask that posts be deleted, or I'll just leave. Fair enough?

When I say "sarcastic swipes," I mean things ranging from the obvious to the subtle, like Wooly's borderline term "Sellplague." Which, honestly, I find kinda funny, so it's cool. (No other slurs, though, ok team?)

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Jul 2008 20:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I have come to the resigned conclusion that as long as you (pl. the writers of various Realms novels) continue to write excellent fantasy (whether placed in the 4e Realms or not), then I will probably continue to read it. This should not in anyway be considered an endorsement of the 4e Realms, but an endorsement of your (pl) great writing.

You're a brave man, Hawkins, and I respect you very much for it. Thank you for the chance.

To you and to all, I shall strive my hardest to bring you the very best I can muster. And if it doesn't work for you--if you don't enjoy my books, then please, by all means, don't read them.

Don't read stuff you don't like. Life is too short.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000