Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 So how will WOTC do out of your back pocket in 05?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  20:06:29  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I will be. :) Just like I did for the arctic one.

How was Frostburn? I'm still reading through Races of the Wild and I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm about 30 pages in and I haven't seen a Prestige class yet. It surprised me so much, that I worry I got some defective copy.

They moved 'em to the end of the book, that's why.

After my flip through of Races of Destiny, I was pleasantly surprised at Races of the Wild. Two (at least) of the prestige classes relate directly back to the fluff, so I wasn't put out by them. (In fact, one I might use on my next PbEM character and the other will find it's way into other work I'm doing at the moment.)

(Edited for Spelling)

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D

Edited by - Lysander on 03 Mar 2005 20:07:41
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  21:03:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I will be. :) Just like I did for the arctic one.

How was Frostburn? I'm still reading through Races of the Wild and I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm about 30 pages in and I haven't seen a Prestige class yet. It surprised me so much, that I worry I got some defective copy.

I liked it better then Races. Races is more of greyhawk lite and thus parts of it conflict with the elven info we have for FR.

But Frostburn isn't bad for arctic adventures and to flush out that type of geography.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  22:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Frostburn' is very useful if a DM wants survival in the wilderness to play a larger role. Having run a campaign in the Silver Marches during the winter, I find the core rules to be irrelevant for characters over about level 6 because they almost always succeed on their survival rolls. 'Frostburn' would have made travel in the rugged North more realistic and challenging had we had it for that campaign.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  03:41:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ten Reasons for Players to Buy Sandstorm
is now up.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  04:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How was Frostburn?

When I fist saw Frostburn on the shelves I was totally disinterested but I have a problem where I buy EVERY Realms & Generic Sourcebook so I bought it anyway.

After reading through it I absolutely loved it! The cold weather survival is much more difficult and much more realistic. I am definitely going to buy Sandstorm, if it is half as good as Frostburn it will be worth the cash.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  04:27:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
When I fist saw Frostburn on the shelves I was totally disinterested but I have a problem where I buy EVERY Realms & Generic Sourcebook so I bought it anyway.

I used to have such dedication. A few 3.0 tomes that I found worthless quickly ended that from ever being a trait I possess again.

quote:

After reading through it I absolutely loved it! The cold weather survival is much more difficult and much more realistic. I am definitely going to buy Sandstorm, if it is half as good as Frostburn it will be worth the cash.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to wait until a D20 publication comes out later this year to see what it says about campaigns in a certain winter environment before taking a look at Frostburn.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  07:28:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My purchase of Frostbun was specifically tied to my interest in running campaigns in an artic environment, which I enjoy.

Although, I'm planning a campaign in the Plains of Purple Dust for May. Sandstorm might prove useful, but I'm not entirely sure I can justify the purchase of a D&D tome for just one adventure... at least from this point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Mar 2005 07:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  11:28:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

My purchase of Frostbun was specifically tied to my interest in running campaigns in an artic environment, which I enjoy.

Frostbun?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  13:36:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops!

It seems like I've got buns on the brain at the moment. Of course, I meant Frostburn, but then perhaps I could have been talking about some unusual Savage Frontier dessert.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Mar 2005 02:42:47
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  16:27:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ten Reasons for DMs to Buy Sandstorm is now posted.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  02:45:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I see only two out of the complete ten reasons for me to purchase Sandstorm.

The first was the details on the touchstones, and the second was the pages dedicated to desert peoples.

Still not reason enough... .

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  05:06:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another PDF to add to my collection.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  07:47:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ditto. I purchased Races of the Wild. Thus, it's some other scribes turn to support WOTC and keep it from slipping into bankruptcy. Besides, I lived in Las Vegas for a good portion of my life. I know enough about deserts.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  07:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and you can bet your bottom dollar that the more useful stuff from the enviroment books will get repeated in a realms source book suspects we'll see Frostburn stuff in a Future Coldlands/Great Glacier source book, the Sandburn stuff will appear in the Calimshan source book and Maelstrom stuff will appear in a Sea of Fallen Stars source book

I have no intention of being burnt twice

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  07:57:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I don't blame you. But, they will continue to conduct such actions as long as consumers buy the products.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  08:02:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And being the WOTC publicity whore that I am, the Sandstorm Art Gallery is now up.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  10:25:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ditto. I purchased Races of the Wild. Thus, it's some other scribes turn to support WOTC and keep it from slipping into bankruptcy. Besides, I lived in Las Vegas for a good portion of my life. I know enough about deserts.

I've avoided reviews for this product, so if you're willing, I'd like to hear what you thought about Races of the Wild...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  14:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

and you can bet your bottom dollar that the more useful stuff from the enviroment books will get repeated in a realms source book suspects we'll see Frostburn stuff in a Future Coldlands/Great Glacier source book, the Sandburn stuff will appear in the Calimshan source book and Maelstrom stuff will appear in a Sea of Fallen Stars source book

I'm not so sure-it would have been that way earlier in 3e, certainly. These days, though, they're likely to cross reference everything to hell and be done with it-which brings them more money and gives those of us who have bought nearly all the 3e sourcebooks more content for our money.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  06:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now that weve got th last trimester of WOTC releases I feel compelled to add

Sons of Grummsh (The FR module) I wonder if this is tied into RAS last Drizzt novel

Champions of Valor, I am a little disappointed that we wont get a 2nd Region specfic source book

D&D spell compendium depending what this is it could be a must have or a pass

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  06:22:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am a little disappointed that we wont get a 2nd Region specfic source book

You're not the only one.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  06:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I really thought we where in with a shot for a Cold lands or old Empires source book this year

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 15 Mar 2005 06:25:23
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  06:28:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really thought we where in with a shot for a Cold lands or old Empires source book this year

Not even two areas I'd be interested in, but at least it would be something. No doubt, the Valor book is more appealing for WOTC on the product schedule since it should be more generic than a sourcebook so non-FR fans can mine stuff from it.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  06:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine Champions of Valour will be aimed at Players i plenty of stuff for there PrCs

However if Thomas puts even a single monster stat in Champions of Valour than the book reverts back to a DM only Source book

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  07:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Champions of Ruin is any indication, then Champions of Valor is likely to have some unique Celestials in it, and maybe some FR themed planar touchstones. It may also touch on the Harpers and Moonstars and the Heralds possibly along with other good organizations in the realms.

It may in part be an FR version of the Book of Exalted Deeds.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  12:57:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You really like those touchstones, don't you Gray?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  13:01:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would encourage folks to look at Dungeon #121. It has another adventure set in the Dalelands by Skip Williams. If there's good response by FR fans to FR adventures in Dungeon, there's sure to be more.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  13:11:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will they continue to be Dalelands adventures?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  13:43:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I meant 'contine to be more FR adventures by various authors'. I have no idea if Skip will do more Dalelands adventures. I would note that he's done 3, one low level, one mid-level, and one high level (using Dungeon's classification scheme), so that may mean he's ready to do a new topic.

All three have been easily portable to other parts of the Realms, FWIW.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000