Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 So how will WOTC do out of your back pocket in 05?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:08:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
All over 3.5, particularly in Forgotten Realms, you have reference to other hardcovers telling you "we want you to spend another $35 to get this updated material you originally had" as well as changes that went well beyond tweakage and improvement.

Kinda funny how that worked out isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:40:46  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Kinda funny how that worked out isn't it?

What sickens me the most if what they did to the region system.

There are 2 things they could have done..

1) Yes certain feats are available to all PCs. HOWEVER, this is the forgotten realms and here, these feats are only available at these locations.

2) If you wish to make these feats available to all PCs, here is a list of feats you may use instead.

Both coulda been eratta/faq in the PDF.

I won't get into not reprinting certain prestige classes in the Player's Guide.

The only thing I really have liked is that a lot of the prestige classes have been changed over to the +1 spellcaster level instead of their own spell list. However, for some classes that means they've also lost certain things, like bonus feats. So it's a trade off, but one I accept for the sake of balance.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  06:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd have liked option two. The regional feat system is, if not completely broken, then at least cracked in several places.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  18:54:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I think I'd have liked option two. The regional feat system is, if not completely broken, then at least cracked in several places.

I prefer option 1. Certain feats were designed for the Realms and for certain regions. Just because core D&D adopts them, that didn't mean the Realms itself had to change.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  05:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the feats are just fine, most of them. It's mainly the system that needs fixing. There's a scroll about this under the piles here someplace . . . it got abandoned mainly because no one had any ideas, and because there was a little misunderstanding between me and another member that was a bit of a conversation-stopper.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  07:39:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With that, I can agree.

Of course, there are some truly hearty attempts by some third-party publishers to fix those cracks... but they're mainly patches. I'm of the view that the entire system needs to be reworked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  23:19:39  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

With that, I can agree.

Of course, there are some truly hearty attempts by some third-party publishers to fix those cracks... but they're mainly patches. I'm of the view that the entire system needs to be reworked.

I thought it was fine how it was, but that's just me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  00:13:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

With that, I can agree.

I naever had a problem with it, save for the fact that a few feats should remain available after first level...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  15:44:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

With that, I can agree.

I naever had a problem with it, save for the fact that a few feats should remain available after first level...

Oh? Which ones are you thinking about, Wooly?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  17:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh? Which ones are you thinking about, Wooly?

Let's see... Flipping thru the book, and not looking at the errata to see what ones were changed...

Axethrower, Blooded, Discipline, Dreadful Wrath, Fearless, Fleet of Foot, Forester, Furious Charge, Knifefighter, Saddleback, Silver Palm, Smooth Talk, Street Smart, Surefooted, Survivor, Thug, Tireless, Treetopper, Twin Sword Style

That's just a quick list. And don't get me wrong, I'd not just hand those feats out willy-nilly. But I don't see why some of them could not be learned at a time after first level, provided that the person learning such a feat has either been immersed in the right environ (i.e., spending several months living on the streets to learn Street Smart) or has someone who can adequately train them (Knifefighter, Twin Sword Style, etc).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Dec 2004 17:05:05
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2004 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention add several more prerequisites. Like a high Strength for Axthrower and Furious Charge, and a high Dexterity for Fleet of Foot and Knifefighter.

This is actually one of the "broken" bits I was talking about. I can understand giving powerful feats at first level, but they have to be feats that have some reasoning behind why they can only be taken at first level.

The lower end of the believablity scale is a third party feat called University, which Jack Archer has. It gives +3 Knowledge-only skill points at odd-numbered levels. Powerful, so it goes at first level. And it just barely passes the test, because it involves the idea that the character has spent a long time learning and has enjoyed it, all during formative years; it isn't something that a person can just pick up between dungeon visits. It's a lot easier to learn how to use martial weapons (the result of the Militia feat), particularly since that would already be a part of taking certain class levels (which you can take during downtime).

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  20:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer: Not sure. I'd have to thumb thru a copy first.

Races of the Wild: Dunno. Haven't bought any of the other races books...

Lost Empires of Faerûn: Our FR DM will buy this one for sure!

Sandstorm: Probably won't get.

Codex Anathema: No idea.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Only if it has anything regarding magic stuff (the only reason I bout DMG I.

Weapons of Legacy: Maybe after thumbing thru first.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: My FR DM will get this one!

Maelstrom: See Sandstorm.

Champions of Ruin: Probably not.

Battlefield Adventures: ::shrug::

I have very limited cash to buy books with at their pricing. And the occasional minis purchase...

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  20:23:25  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer: Not as good as the other Complete books, but got it to complete the set.

Races of the Wild: Looks to have potential, will need to look at it first. Races of Destiny was a bomb as far as I was concerned.

Lost Empires of Faerûn: FR book will get it.

Sandstorm: Got Frostburn wasn't bad, will take a look at it, and most likely get it.

Codex Anathema: Draconomicon was good, Libris Mortis could have been better, will have to take a look at it.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Will need to take a look at it.

Weapons of Legacy: Not sure what this is at this time.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: FR book, will get it.

Maelstrom: See Sandstorm.

Champions of Ruin: FR book, will get it.

Battlefield Adventures: Not sure what this is at this time.

Unless the book is a total bomb to me (Ghostwalk and Races of Destiny) pretty much any official book for D&D I will get, since I am one of the DMs for my group and always good to have an ace, that the players don't know about

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  09:07:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Unless the book is a total bomb to me (Ghostwalk...
You didn't like Monte Cook's work on Ghostwalk?

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

From what I have seen of it when I thumbed through it, didn't seem that interesting to me.
I will eventually obtain it, just I don't need another world that won't be used at this time.
Plus with it being a 3.0E book, means there will most likely be a number of broken things in there. Not to say that 3.5E doesn't have broken things, but they tend to appear less often or aren't as blatant.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  04:37:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

From what I have seen of it when I thumbed through it, didn't seem that interesting to me.

I suppose you really have to be a fan of Monte's previous "planar-themed" works to find something like this interesting. That's understandable.

quote:

I will eventually obtain it, just I don't need another world that won't be used at this time.

That's actually the magic of the setting. It's not strictly another world in the traditional sense. With a little tinkering, it could be made to fit into the more expansive Realms cosmology. As part of the Fugue Plane for example...

quote:

Plus with it being a 3.0E book, means there will most likely be a number of broken things in there.
Ah.

I didn't really buy it for the mechanics. I mainly purchased the tome, firstly because it's Monte's work, and secondly, the "fluff" material is rather expansive.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  05:22:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As reported by ENWorld, WOTC has posted the cover of Lord of Madness: The Book of Aberrations (previously known as Codex Anathema).
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  05:32:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

As reported by ENWorld, WOTC has posted the cover of Lord of Madness: The Book of Aberrations (previously known as Codex Anathema).

Nice, can't wait to get a look at it. Hopefully it will be more like Draconomicon than Libris Mortis.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  07:02:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nice, can't wait to get a look at it. Hopefully it will be more like Draconomicon than Libris Mortis.

It is a striking cover that caught my eye.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  11:24:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It is a striking cover that caught my eye.

It is indeed a striking cover... For once, I kinda like the artwork.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  12:14:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not as excited about this tome now, as I once was. There's apparently been some discussion on a number of message boards (EN World and WotC) that suggests that most of the material in this tome that relates to illithid and beholder kin is simply and mostly a rehash of previous source information.

If this is true, it certainly erodes a little of my belief that we were to receive some significant new details on both aberration races.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  16:35:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not as excited about this tome now, as I once was. There's apparently been some discussion on a number of message boards (EN World and WotC) that suggests that most of the material in this tome that relates to illithid and beholder kin is simply and mostly a rehash of previous source information.

Sorry to hear that for you as I recall you being excited about the tome. Wait til you talk to someone with the tome in their hand as perhaps the message boards are wrong. But, I would not be surprised if the rehash news is indeed true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  22:49:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That does draw vacuum, though it doesn't surprise me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  08:24:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sorry to hear that for you as I recall you being excited about the tome. Wait til you talk to someone with the tome in their hand as perhaps the message boards are wrong. But, I would not be surprised if the rehash news is indeed true.

I'm not even entirely sure that I'll bother purchasing it. Now.

As it is, I already have a vast trove of lore on the various races of aberration. And that serves me rather well when it comes to campaign composition. If there's little to attract those who've collected various materials in the past, what is the point?

I'll likely hold back on a complete decision until, as you say, I've spoken to one of my fellow PS fans who will likely pick up the tome. These are opinions that I can (moderately ) trust as factual (most of the time )...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  18:27:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ENWorld had the following information posted today about Battlefield Adventures

quote:

Andy Collins posted this information on Battlefield Adventures on his forums (thanks to MerricB for the sccop):

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail--that's what the D&D website is for--but I'll try to explain what the general purpose of this book (and the genre series) is.

Battlefield Adventures is not about running army vs. army conflicts, but rather about running a D&D game that features warfare as a significant theme of the game.

That's the goal of the genre series (of which this is the first): to provide a DM with the information he needs to incorporate a particular genre or campaign "flavor" into his game.

Think of it this way: This book won't give you the rules to mimic the activities of every single orc and archer in the Battle for Helm's Deep, but it will let you run all the interesting encounters featuring Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli (aka the player characters), and it'll let you build warfare-minded characters like Eomer.

Battlefield Adventures isn't really like any other book that we've done in the past. My best comparison would be to Frostburn, not in terms of subject matter but in terms of exploring and expanding a concept of the D&D universe so that DMs can focus on it in their games.

I led development on this book, and I think it's got some really interesting ideas for DMs who've wanted to include warfare in their campaigns but have been leery of going "whole hog" and running mass battle encounters.

(If you're looking for a system for mass combat, I advise that you check out the Miniatures Handbook.)

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 03 Feb 2005 18:29:48
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  20:00:21  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ENWorld had the following information posted today about Battlefield Adventures
--snipped--

I wonder how it would compare with Skip William's Cry Havoc(http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Havoc_TOC)?

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  04:30:03  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like another book 80% of the PLAYER base will pass on.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  15:40:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested in Sandstorm, WOTC has Desktop Wallpapers and a Screensaver featuring some art from the tome now available.

Anyone purchasing this tome?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  17:50:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those interested in Sandstorm, WOTC has Desktop Wallpapers and a Screensaver featuring some art from the tome now available.

Anyone purchasing this tome?

I will be. :) Just like I did for the arctic one. There are many places in FR where both can be used. The Glacier, for Frostburn. Anauroch, Calimshan, Zakhara, for Sandstorm.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  18:21:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I will be. :) Just like I did for the arctic one.

How was Frostburn? I'm still reading through Races of the Wild and I'm pretty impressed so far. I'm about 30 pages in and I haven't seen a Prestige class yet. It surprised me so much, that I worry I got some defective copy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000