Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 So how will WOTC do out of your back pocket in 05?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  05:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well weve now got WOTC product releases up to August 2005

So its Assessment time, what am I going to buy and what am i going to leave

Complete Adventurer: Not sure about this one, I bought CW but passed on CD and I havent got a good look at CA yet, if CAD has a Assasin class then Ill definately get it otherwise its going to have to wow me

Races of the Wild: Ill likely give it the miss after all why would a want 4-5 Racial specfioc books when Ive already got the setting specfic races of Faerun

Lost Empires of Faerūn: Of cause it will be bought its got an FR logo on the cover

Sandstorm: Another Enviroment source book, I didnt buy into Frostburn and Im unlikely to buy into Sandstorm, Im not enviroment obsessed and Ill more than likely end up get repeats of the import stuff from the enviroment source books in FR regional source books

Codex Anathema: This one Ill get, I liked The Draconomicon and Libris Mortis, The Book of X series are probably the best setting generic series WOTC are currently publishing much better than the Complete X, Race of X and Enviroment source books

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Not sure about this one it seems like a bit of waste of time, Ill probably await furthur info on this product

Weapons of Legacy: This is a great idea and Ill probably buy it, the only problem is that it will be out of date as soon as they release another book with a new magic item/ability in the Third Trimester of 05

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: Great idea but its a pity that WOTC didnt go the whole hog for some of the more "Premium regions" I would happily paid FRC prices for a 320+ page "Complete Waterdeep". Im rather disturbed about the page cut for COSW from 192 to 160

Maelstrom: See Sandstorm another one to miss

Champions of Ruin: This book has great potential especially if theres limited duplication from BOVD

Battlefield Adventures: Noit sure about this book, it seems to duplicate alot of material from the Miniatures handbook

Dargoths verdict:

Buy: 5
Wait and see: 3
Wont buys: 3

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  06:24:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer -- I've avoided the Complete series thus far, because I remember how useful the old 2E Complete X Handbooks weren't. I'll likely continue this trend.

Races of the Wild -- Pretty much the same as above. I have Races of Faerūn and I really like it, so what else do I need as far as races are concerned?

Lost Empires of Faerūn -- I want I want I want!!!

Sandstorm -- Another environment book. It doesn't even peg my interest meter.

Codex Anathema -- I don't know a lot about this one, but I don't foresee having an interest in it.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II -- I've not even heard of this one... I'd guess it's another Player's Guide to Faerūn debacle waiting to happen.

Weapons of Legacy -- Hear those crickets? That's my lack of interest in this one.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep -- When this book hits the shelves, anyone betwixt me and it will be run down! I love Waterdeep, so this book is the must-have of 2005.

Maelstrom -- More crickets.

Champions of Ruin -- This one has potential.

Battlefield Adventures -- That doesn't sound like anything I'd find useful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  12:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Well weve now got WOTC product releases up to August 2005

So its Assessment time, what am I going to buy and what am i going to leave

Complete Adventurer: Not sure about this one, I bought CW but passed on CD and I havent got a good look at CA yet, if CAD has a Assasin class then Ill definately get it otherwise its going to have to wow me

Races of the Wild: Ill likely give it the miss after all why would a want 4-5 Racial specfioc books when Ive already got the setting specfic races of Faerun

Lost Empires of Faerūn: Of cause it will be bought its got an FR logo on the cover

Sandstorm: Another Enviroment source book, I didnt buy into Frostburn and Im unlikely to buy into Sandstorm, Im not enviroment obsessed and Ill more than likely end up get repeats of the import stuff from the enviroment source books in FR regional source books

Codex Anathema: This one Ill get, I liked The Draconomicon and Libris Mortis, The Book of X series are probably the best setting generic series WOTC are currently publishing much better than the Complete X, Race of X and Enviroment source books

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Not sure about this one it seems like a bit of waste of time, Ill probably await furthur info on this product

Weapons of Legacy: This is a great idea and Ill probably buy it, the only problem is that it will be out of date as soon as they release another book with a new magic item/ability in the Third Trimester of 05

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: Great idea but its a pity that WOTC didnt go the whole hog for some of the more "Premium regions" I would happily paid FRC prices for a 320+ page "Complete Waterdeep". Im rather disturbed about the page cut for COSW from 192 to 160

Maelstrom: See Sandstorm another one to miss

Champions of Ruin: This book has great potential especially if theres limited duplication from BOVD

Battlefield Adventures: Noit sure about this book, it seems to duplicate alot of material from the Miniatures handbook

Dargoths verdict:

Buy: 5
Wont buys: 3

Complete Adventurer: Possibly. Complete Divine didn't play this up too well, but you have to keep in mind the Complete x series emphasizes elements of a character, not specific classes. If this can emphasize adventuring well enough, then I'll buy it.

Races of the Wild: Probably not. Just not that much interest.

Lost Empires of Faerūn: A FR book, and one on an aspect that especially interests me. Yes.

Sandstorm: I like deserts. I don't like deserts as much as I like glaciers and tundra, but I like deserts. Frostburn was quite good, and I think this will be too. Yes.

Codex Anathema: MMm..aberrations. Yes.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: One question. WHY UNDER THE SUN DOESN'T THIS HAVE A BLUE COVER? Ignoring that, yes.

Weapons of Legacy: Yes. Frameworks from WotC are generally good.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: Yes.

Maelstrom: See Sandstorm. Yes.

Champions of Ruin: I'm actually more worried about duplication from Lords of Darkness. That said, yes.

Battlefield Adventures: I think this is probably going to be what the Miniatures Handbook should have been.

Oh, and as we are discussing products:

Deluxe Eberron DM's Screen: Yes, if only for the actually useful poster map.

Five Nations: Yes.

Races of Eberron: Possibly. The new races didn't hold that much appeal to me, but this is at least worth a look.

Buy: 11
Possibly: 2
No: 1
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  13:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer - Yes. I'm not rushing to get CD or CA, but a less specific book that may have more character will suit me.

Races of the Wild: Not likely at all. For both settings I use there are or will be specific race books so the use for this is negligible.

Lost Empires of Faerūn: Definitely as it is FR.

Sandstorm: Not likely at all as I don't intend using any desert settings.

Codex Anathema: Probably, but it'll be well down the list.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Maybe. More likely to buy based on reviews as I'm more likely to buy the Green Ronin Advanced books first.

Weapons of Legacy: Hate Magic item books so no.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: Oh definitely.

Maelstrom: More likely to get bought than Frostburn or Sandstorm because I run Pirate games.

Champions of Ruin: Yes.

Battlefield Adventures: Probably not.

Deluxe Eberron DM's Screen: Yes, if only for the actually useful poster map.

Five Nations: Yes.

Races of Eberron: Yes definitely.

City of Towers: If only for flavour for Sharn.

Grasp of the Emerald Claw: Definitely

Buy: 9
Wont buys: 4
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  14:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer
- Maybe.

Races of the Wild
- Probably not.

Lost Empires of Faerūn
- If I don't, Alaundo will beat me with his staff for setting such a bad example.

Sandstorm and Maelstrom
- I like Frostburn. I really do. Actually made me want to play in such a setting, and considering that I really hate even the thought of being cold, that's saying something. There are so many things in it that could easily transfer to Faerun. I think the same will be true for these two.

Codex Anathema
- Probably not. I only have so much money.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II
- Nope. I'm not a DM. While I'm sure I could get some use out of it, it's not enough for the price.

Weapons of Legacy
- Nope.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep
- Alaundo, put down the staff already!

Battlefield Adventures
- Nope.

Deluxe Eberron DM's Screen
- Nope.

Five Nations
- Nope.

Races of Eberron
- Nope.

City of Towers
- On order. I'm using it for a project, which is the same reason I bought the ECS.

Grasp of the Emerald Claw
- Nope.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  14:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Worry not, my dear Bookwyrm.... although ye didn't comment on the Champions of Ruin sourcebook

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, phooey, I'd hoped you wouldn't see that. Like I said, I can only spend so much gold, and it's not like I have a one-for-one streak going for products with the Forgotten Realms logo on it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  16:38:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun and City of Splendors. I have no interest in buying anything else.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  17:38:27  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want them all! What I will actually buy, however:
Races of the Wild, Lost Empires of Faerūn, Sandstorm, City of Splendors, Maelstrom, Eberron stuff.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  03:04:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Lost Empires of Faerun and City of Splendors. I have no interest in buying anything else.

SB, you'd like Champions of Ruin, even solely for the stuff Eric wrote - if it all stays in a'course.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2004 :  04:26:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
SB, you'd like Champions of Ruin, even solely for the stuff Eric wrote - if it all stays in a'course.
-- George Krashos

Hmmm,we shall see. I'm impressionable when it comes to that product so perhaps I'll be swayed. But, it's got a solid obstacle as the subject matter just generates no interest for this FR fan.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  15:55:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer
- Given the dismal failure that was Complete Arcane, I doubt I'll be handing over any hard-earned gold pieces for this particular tome.

Races of the Wild
- As I said elsewhere here at Candlekeep, while Races of Stone was a good idea "in theory", the actual finished product which I purchased shortly after its release, has seen little use at my gaming table. I'm assuming this new addition to the series will fare the same. So, that's a no for this tome as well.

Lost Empires of Faerūn
Most definitely.

Sandstorm and Maelstrom
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I like Frostburn. I really do. Actually made me want to play in such a setting, and considering that I really hate even the thought of being cold, that's saying something. There are so many things in it that could easily transfer to Faerun. I think the same will be true for these two.

- I have to agree with this, but, while I purchased Frostburn because I enjoy running artic-styled adventures, I really can't see myself making much use of the material in these tomes for any length of significant time, at least to justify the amount I'll likely have to spend in order to buy them.

Codex Anathema
- If you don't already know my answer for this, you should prepare yourself for a visit from some extremely assertive Inevitables...

Dungeon Master’s Guide II
- I'm not entirely sure about this tome yet. I'll probably try a "wait-and-see" approach.

Weapons of Legacy
- Again, I'll wait and see.

City of Splendors: Waterdeep
- Most definitely.

Battlefield Adventures
- I have the Warhammer Adventures tome, and that pretty much satisfies my needs in this regard.

Deluxe Eberron DM's Screen
- I prefer making my own DM screens.

Five Nations
- I've been extremely satisfied with most of what I've seen of Eberron so far, including the recent City of Towers tome. I'll likely be purchasing this book as well.

Races of Eberron
- Again, in keeping with my Eberron obsession, this will most likely be on my 2005 D&D shopping list.

City of Towers
- I already have my copy. It's sitting right alongside my keyboard as I type this.

Grasp of the Emerald Claw
- I haven't bothered with the EB adventures previously, and, that's unlikely to change.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  09:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about most of them, but City of Splendors: Waterdeep will definitely be something I can't do without.

ā€œDarkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyedā€¦by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!ā€

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  11:13:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I don't know about most of them, but City of Splendors: Waterdeep will definitely be something I can't do without.

That's the one I'm most looking forward to -- I've been looking forward to it since I heard about it.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  16:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer: most liekly I'll buy this one

Races of the Wild: Definitely buy this one, I love race books and the these should be some of my fav!

Lost Empires of Faerūn: Not too sure about this one, wait and see.

Sandstorm: I'm lovin' these environment books, definitely grab this one.

Codex Anathema: Must have!

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Probably will buy.

Weapons of Legacy: Not sure what this is, but it sounds good!

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: I'm not as big a fan of Waterdeep as a lot of other people are, so wait and see here.

Maelstrom: Must have!

Champions of Ruin: No idea what this is, wait and see.

Battlefield Adventures: Another one I have no idea what it is

Buy: 6
Wait and see: 5
Wont buys: 0

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  17:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
-- George Krashos

Hmmm,we shall see. I'm impressionable when it comes to that product so perhaps I'll be swayed. But, it's got a solid obstacle as the subject matter just generates no interest for this FR fan.

I agree with you completely on that one, it's a FR book but at the moment from what I know about it, it's the only selling point is has for me. City of Splendours I am greatly looking forward to (but again, why fewer pages?) and I will almost certainly get Lost Empires of Faerūn as well.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  11:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Adventurer: I'm looking foward to this one more than the previous complete books. Although I haven't delved into the previous books much lately due to time restrictions.

Races of the Wild: I'm a big fan of all things elven, so this book appeals greatly to me.

Lost Empires of Faerūn: I'm very excited about this product, I love the ancient side of the Realms and i've long wanted to read more on the ruins scattered throughout the world

Sandstorm: Not my favorite terrain\setting, but I feel it will come in handy for an aspect of my campaign in the future. I have Frostburn, but again, haven't had time to go through it in detail, but hear it is quite good.

Codex Anathema: I've been impressed by both other products in this series so will definately get this one.

Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Not sure about this, i'm not keep on the title, this should be done in a similar vein as the old 2nd edition blue DM supplements.

Weapons of Legacy: I'm a weapon and equipment junkie, so this is for me

City of Splendors: Waterdeep: Goes without saying! Just disappointed in the page count

Maelstrom: Again, as per Sandstorm, this will hopefully come in handy with part of my camapaign.

Champions of Ruin: I'll obviously get this product, i'm just unsure as to whether it is what i'm expecting from the rumors which were flying around for this product some time ago.

Battlefield Adventures: I doubt i'll get much use from this one, but it may be an interesting read.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  14:13:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Complete Adventurer: I'm looking foward to this one more than the previous complete books. Although I haven't delved into the previous books much lately due to time restrictions.

You're the first person I've seen who has said that. Any particular reason why you are so looking forward to this tome?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  14:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

You're the first person I've seen who has said that. Any particular reason why you are so looking forward to this tome?

Now don't get me wrong, Sage, you need to read my statement relatively I'm looking forward to this produce more than the previous books. Being that i'm no big fan of heavy combat (which I believed the Complete Warrior to be), nor has the priest class been a particular interest of mine (Complete Divine), and I tend to tone down magic in my campaign (thus Complete Arcane wouldn't be that useful, although I did like the idea of the Warlock class)... therefore, i'm hoping that Complete Adventurer holds a little more to keep me interested.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  02:18:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... and I tend to tone down magic in my campaign (thus Complete Arcane wouldn't be that useful, although I did like the idea of the Warlock class)...

Oh, why is that? Are you talking about your Realms campaigns?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  10:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

... and I tend to tone down magic in my campaign (thus Complete Arcane wouldn't be that useful, although I did like the idea of the Warlock class)...

Oh, why is that? Are you talking about your Realms campaigns?

Thats right Sage. I've mentioned this before about my campaign, that i'm not a big fan of high magic and spellfire novel-style magic slinging and the likes. I'm quite tight when it comes to magic item availability as well

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  17:10:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, I saw this note today on EN World's news page

quote:

EN World member Pants noted that WotC has changed the title for Codex Anathema to Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations. The book is due for release in April 2005.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  18:27:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

EN World member Pants noted that WotC has changed the title for Codex Anathema to Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations. The book is due for release in April 2005.

That seems a better title, to me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  08:34:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

That seems a better title, to me.

To me as well, especially since it is rumored that the tome contains a high percentage (that is, in regard to other tomes in 3e which have material dedicated to the Outside Realm) of Far Realmish material. This will likely only be within reference to the illithids though...

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  20:11:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be any and every Realms novel, what I will not waste money on is Realms gaming product till it's been out for a few months till I've had a chance to determine, through my friends who bought it, if it's worth buying.

Wizards still has yet to learn from their opening debacles. They continue to release Realms changing/impacting novels and offer ZERO game product support for those novels.

Where is the Rogue Dragon gaming product? Oh wait.. I know.. there is none because someone in Wizards made the bad choice once upon a time release an underdark based campaign that had nothing to do with the drow novels out (and would have no effect on them since those stories wouldn't conclude for another 3 years IRL) and even less to do with what was going on in the world above or other 3E game products out. I won't even comment about Player's Guide to Faerun, which should have just been a 400 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3.5 (it almost costed as much!!!)

Thus the Forgotten Realms logo on a game product no longer merits instant purchase for me anymore unless it's an electronics game. Sadly I fear the days of the Realms are number, the "conversion" to 3/3.5 is taking way too long. Several things people want to see updated aren't being done in favor of areas of the Realms and with little to no attention to what's currently going on in the Realms.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  20:46:23  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR stuff: for sure, too bad they don't release more in '05
The generic stuff: interesting, but not interesting enough to buy
The Eber-thingy stuff: definitely not
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  01:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as lame as it sounds, so long as it's generic D&D and FR, I'll buy it. I'm pretty anal about my library.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  02:31:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Melfius!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  04:43:35  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was my attitude too guys until 3.5 was released and I saw that it was basically a completely new edition instead of a tweaked version as promoted that then justified them to completely change several pages of the FRCS no good reason.

Edited by - SirUrza on 21 Dec 2004 04:45:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  05:43:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the longest time, I was trying to get all the hardcovers... That ended with 3e. I've got all the hardcover D&D books up until then, but with 3e, I became more selective about my gaming dollar.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  17:54:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For the longest time, I was trying to get all the hardcovers... That ended with 3e. I've got all the hardcover D&D books up until then, but with 3e, I became more selective about my gaming dollar.

One of the things that just killed me is the guys that original conceived 3E, one of the things they didn't want to do, was force you to have to reference other books and such. They were also the guys that new and planned for a 3.5 (which is what d20 slowly evolved into, tweaking and improvement.)

Unfortunately, those same guys are not the guys that continued publishing material and carried out the 3.5 plan.

All over 3.5, particularly in Forgotten Realms, you have reference to other hardcovers telling you "we want you to spend another $35 to get this updated material you originally had" as well as changes that went well beyond tweakage and improvement.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000