Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  03:29:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

One thing I did notice that I thought was rather amusing is the Typo's in the first paragraph of this section someone used the $ instead of S when they where writing the Temple location codes!

Actually, I don't think that's a typo. The $, as I recall, represents the Sea Ward, while the S represents the South Ward. It's done for clarity, so you're not wondering "Is it this S16, or that S16?"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2005 03:30:11
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  04:39:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am on vacation in Arizona right now, but I am very thankful I brought City of Splendors with me. Along with my black and red pen to scribble in it and add in my notes!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  06:28:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I am on vacation in Arizona right now, but I am very thankful I brought City of Splendors with me. Along with my black and red pen to scribble in it and add in my notes!!!

What did you think of the City of Splendors tome Mournblade?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  08:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  08:10:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're defacing your copy of City of Splendors?!?
That's Blasphemy!!!
You know there is a special place in hell for people like you.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  09:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

That's Blasphemy!!!

Hes a Cleric of Shar!

Some one find a cleric of Mystra or Selune!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  22:48:58  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much to read, so little time. Still, I have read some parts here and there, and the following two characters, are just great!

-- Algorind
-- Gareth Cormaeril

Here follow some comments ...

Algorind
"Although he is earnest, dedicated, and sincere, his willingnes to follow the orders of his superiors unquestionly has led him far from Tyr's principles, much to his confusion."

I did laugh and thought it to be very comic, but also serious. The character is complex, and makes him very interesting. DMs can really create their own plots ...

Gareth Cormaeril
"Sir Gareth has never admitted even to himself that he no longer follows the teaching of Tyr, constructing elaborate rationalizations and falling back on willful ignorance to justify his actions to himself and others."

I just love the above wording.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  00:34:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

So much to read, so little time. Still, I have read some parts here and there, and the following two characters, are just great!

-- Algorind
-- Gareth Cormaeril

Here follow some comments ...

Algorind
"Although he is earnest, dedicated, and sincere, his willingnes to follow the orders of his superiors unquestionly has led him far from Tyr's principles, much to his confusion."

I did laugh and thought it to be very comic, but also serious. The character is complex, and makes him very interesting. DMs can really create their own plots ...

Gareth Cormaeril
"Sir Gareth has never admitted even to himself that he no longer follows the teaching of Tyr, constructing elaborate rationalizations and falling back on willful ignorance to justify his actions to himself and others."

I just love the above wording.

Glad you like the characters. To give credit where credit is due, these are the creation of Elaine Cunningham and appear in the novel Thornhold.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  03:00:09  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

That's Blasphemy!!!

Hes a Cleric of Shar!

Some one find a cleric of Mystra or Selune!

AYE that is what I have to do for my notes. It makes it feel more permanent.

Now please I am no Cleric of Shar, (Sharess perhaps .. eh hem.. cough)

No really I am not. Perhaps more appropriately would be the Priesthood of Malar!!!

Yes that works nicely!

WAIT!!! I AM NOT EVIL!!!!

Oh yes you are!

No I am not!

<Outside observer>

Who is he talking too?

<Outside observer #2>

Must be GARAGOS

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  16:31:39  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we actually have a bona-fide Selunarran in the realms currently, Xale the Knight of the Blue moon, has anyone considered elaborating on the Selunarra region for Aasimars yet? What languages would they get? Probably Loross and celestial, maybe common? What would be their regional feats, besides otherworldly which probably goes without saying, and starting equipment? Preferred classes? It certainly is an interesting prospect.

Prototype00
"Who is about to get answered by NDA isn't he?"

P.s. Just thought of this, would being a Selunarran qualify you for Netherese Arcanist? And considering that the Sun Soul Monks are based on an ancient Netherese tradition, would they exist in Selunarra too? hmmm, questions, questions.

Edited by - prototype00 on 05 Aug 2005 16:34:45
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  03:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting little tit bit.

Under the Malchors (a Cleric of Cyric) write up in CoS it says that he stays away from Darkhold because it has fallen increasingly under Banite control.

Looks like the Cyricists are likely to be kicked out of the Zhentarim all together. Darkhold was the most powerful and important position the Cyriists controlled and now it seems the Banites are likely to get it back

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  08:29:30  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

The salary in the article (The City Watch of Waterdeep, part two, by Ed Greenwood) is different from the one stated in the book (City of Splendors: Waterdeep (COSW)). If a member of the city watch receives 5 sp per day, then he will earn 15 gp in a month. COSW states that the salary is 5 gp per month. Furthermore, city watch members earn an additional of 4 sp per patrol ...

Link to the article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050727a

Maybe, all salaries in COSW should be revised? Comments?

Eric, and other members, is there an errata somewhere? Where we could start to add pieces ...

Best regards,
webmanus

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  08:52:46  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi gain Eric,

I have the question about how Waterdhavian laws would treat the issue of building a temple to Cyric. Now, I have read section Laws and Punishment in page 14 and about Tomas Siohcen, the Cyricist that wants to build a cathredal to the Darn Sun atop Mount Waterdeep, in page 38. I assume that it is not permitted to build a temple to a god such as Cyric, but, would it be because there is a law that states so, or would it be something that, for example, magisters just do not give permission to?

For me, knowing if something is supported by written law or by a ruler's "dictation" is important, to better understand the Realms. In real word, in Iceland year 1000, the Icelanders decided at a meeting to switch to Christianity; I assume that a new law was accepted by kind of acclamation. And, when Ansgar came to Sweden (c 829), he received the permission to mission in Birka (c 1,000 - 2,000 inhabitants); I assume that, that would count as an unwritten law. Now, Waterdeep is not Iceland nor Birka. But, a city full of temples. And, those temples are dedicated to non-evil gods. Evil-god, have their temples in Skullport. So, as I wrote above, I assume that temples to evil gods are just not accepted, but, the question is, by law or just opinion.

Could you please comment?

Best regards,
webmanus

Edited by - webmanus on 06 Aug 2005 08:59:15
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  14:22:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi gain Eric,

I have the question about how Waterdhavian laws would treat the issue of building a temple to Cyric. Now, I have read section Laws and Punishment in page 14 and about Tomas Siohcen, the Cyricist that wants to build a cathredal to the Darn Sun atop Mount Waterdeep, in page 38. I assume that it is not permitted to build a temple to a god such as Cyric, but, would it be because there is a law that states so, or would it be something that, for example, magisters just do not give permission to?

For me, knowing if something is supported by written law or by a ruler's "dictation" is important, to better understand the Realms. In real word, in Iceland year 1000, the Icelanders decided at a meeting to switch to Christianity; I assume that a new law was accepted by kind of acclamation. And, when Ansgar came to Sweden (c 829), he received the permission to mission in Birka (c 1,000 - 2,000 inhabitants); I assume that, that would count as an unwritten law. Now, Waterdeep is not Iceland nor Birka. But, a city full of temples. And, those temples are dedicated to non-evil gods. Evil-god, have their temples in Skullport. So, as I wrote above, I assume that temples to evil gods are just not accepted, but, the question is, by law or just opinion.

Best regards,
webmanus

I imagine there's a "national security" law against building on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep. I imagine in general there's no law against creating a temple of an evil god, but informally the Lords and their agents discourage it. There are laws against the types of things most evil priests would want to do in a temple to an evil god, so most probably want to put their temple in Undermountain or the like. The Queenspire is an example of a temple to an evil god that has been built recently, albeit just outside the city limits (IIRC).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  14:24:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Eric,

The salary in the article (The City Watch of Waterdeep, part two, by Ed Greenwood) is different from the one stated in the book (City of Splendors: Waterdeep (COSW)). If a member of the city watch receives 5 sp per day, then he will earn 15 gp in a month. COSW states that the salary is 5 gp per month. Furthermore, city watch members earn an additional of 4 sp per patrol ...

Link to the article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050727a

Maybe, all salaries in COSW should be revised? Comments?

Eric, and other members, is there an errata somewhere? Where we could start to add pieces ...

Best regards,
webmanus

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  14:30:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is Queenspire ?
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  15:32:07  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Queenspire is mentioned in table 1-2: Reesearch in Waterdeep, page 21; see Gather Information. Furthermore, Queenspire is listed as a temple in Deepwater Harbor, location H5, in page 108 ans show in the map in page 109.

Google:

"A scuffle, the only one of note on the night, broke out between the recently appointed Dread High Trident of Umberlee, Meritid Archneie, ..."

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  20:13:06  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi fellow readers!

In the Important Characters entry, page 76 of the Tel Teukiira section, there is an NPC with LE alignment, Kiirma Blackmane. She is not described more in detail in the Tel Teukiira section, nor in the Shadow Thieves section in page 68. Is she mentioned somewhere else in the book? I assume that she has infiltrated the Tel Teukiira.

Has she appeared in some novel?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  20:45:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi fellow readers!

In the Important Characters entry, page 76 of the Tel Teukiira section, there is an NPC with LE alignment, Kiirma Blackmane. She is not described more in detail in the Tel Teukiira section, nor in the Shadow Thieves section in page 68. Is she mentioned somewhere else in the book? I assume that she has infiltrated the Tel Teukiira.

Has she appeared in some novel?

Kiirma Blackmane, 13th Thief/12th Wizard, Female Half-elf, LE, Shadowmaster of Riatavin of the Shadow Thieves, Lands of Intrigue: Book 3

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  21:13:16  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje!

Now, I did also manage to find it with your npcs.xls. I till take a look at book 3 ...

/webmanus

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  22:01:43  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much written about her ... I assume that the Shadow Thieves have managed to infiltrate the Tel Teukiira, and have now one of their members among Tel Teukiira's twelve senior agents.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  22:40:03  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or it could be the other way around as she was Khelban's Aprentice.

Or she could be playing both sides off each other.

More likely the first as Khelban likely has many mind scannning spells and the power to back them up.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  22:46:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kuje!

Now, I did also manage to find it with your npcs.xls. I till take a look at book 3 ...

/webmanus

That's where I found it as well. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:12:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Or it could be the other way around as she was Khelban's Aprentice.

Or she could be playing both sides off each other.

More likely the first as Khelban likely has many mind scannning spells and the power to back them up.

That's my thinking, as well. I doubt the Tel'Teukiira are well-known enough, or perceived as such a huge threat, that the Shadow Masters would dispatch one of their leaders to infiltrate them.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:26:10  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to page 19, Land of Intrigue, Book Three, Kiirma is a very low profile (subtle). She poses as a rich widow who owns bording houses, taverns, and festhalls in Riatavin. Furthermore, the Shadow Thieves are so subtle, that folks do not believe that there is no organized presence of thieve there.

I just guess that Khelben, or Laera, have made the misstake of inviting her ... Well well ... just speculating ... Maybe I need to buy a book to learn something new ... a novel perhaps

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to page 19, Land of Intrigue, Book Three, Kiirma is a very low profile (subtle). She poses as a rich widow who owns bording houses, taverns, and festhalls in Riatavin. Furthermore, the Shadow Thieves are so subtle, that folks do not believe that there is no organized presence of thieve there.

I just guess that Khelben, or Laera, have made the misstake of inviting her ... Well well ... just speculating ... Maybe I need to buy a book to learn something new ... a novel perhaps

No mistake. They knew EXACTLY who/what they were getting when they recruited her. As to whether or not she's got a history with Blackstaff Tower or not, I'll not speculate now (because I've not reread all the lore I wrote back in 1996-99 to refresh me brain...). Just be sure that if they're in the tel'Teukiira, they've been vetted and screened and triple-checked for their usefulness and loyalties at a level inconceivable to even the most ardent politicos on this world.

Steven
Who will say Khelben actually enjoys having the shadier members of the Moonstars around, as it's fun for him to watch them try and outmaneuver him as he's 17 steps ahead of them....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Hi gain Eric,

Best regards,
webmanus

I imagine there's a "national security" law against building on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep. I imagine in general there's no law against creating a temple of an evil god, but informally the Lords and their agents discourage it. There are laws against the types of things most evil priests would want to do in a temple to an evil god, so most probably want to put their temple in Undermountain or the like. The Queenspire is an example of a temple to an evil god that has been built recently, albeit just outside the city limits (IIRC).

--Eric

An easier reason is this: The Stone-cutters' guild will neither work on the building nor will they allow any non-guild workers to have anything to do with it (via veiled threats or promises of retaliation or friendship with the guild). And if only the faithful to a dark god are left, they have to build it despite discrete sabotage by opposing clergies and agents, the Red Sashes, etc.

Yup, it's vastly easier to cozy up to a down-on-his-luck noble with some farmlands within a day's ride of the City, get on his good side by covering his debts, and "kindly asking for a parcel of land on which to build a veneration to our lord..." While the Guard patrols the trade roads, they don't hold much cotton on noble-held lands and thus a temple could build strength in relative quiet/safety, provided they didn't kick up too much fuss or draw attention to themselves....

Steven
Who's now just corrupted half the farmlands with one idea, hm?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:50:19  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks ... yes ... no misstake.

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:59:42  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonus! Thanks again! Now, I just have to find the appropiate agent of Cyric to push the right buttons and ... I will have my temple to Sunburst Skull inside the city walls ... if there are no laws againt it ... then it could be easier to achieve ... :)

But then ... my campaign is set in Daggerdale ... maybe Randal Morn would like to have a temple in Dagger Falls :)

Edited by - webmanus on 09 Aug 2005 00:00:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  00:07:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

No mistake. They knew EXACTLY who/what they were getting when they recruited her. As to whether or not she's got a history with Blackstaff Tower or not, I'll not speculate now (because I've not reread all the lore I wrote back in 1996-99 to refresh me brain...). Just be sure that if they're in the tel'Teukiira, they've been vetted and screened and triple-checked for their usefulness and loyalties at a level inconceivable to even the most ardent politicos on this world.

Steven
Who will say Khelben actually enjoys having the shadier members of the Moonstars around, as it's fun for him to watch them try and outmaneuver him as he's 17 steps ahead of them....

I'm noticing that Steven dodged the "Who's using who?" question.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000