Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  18:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sgain

I suppose it comes down to the fact that the older editions of the city are pretty much unavailable. During the 70's and 80's I played a different campaign world (Judges Guild City State of the Invincible Overlord), and used their products for my cities. So I didn't see much point in buying Waterdeep. Now my players want to play in Faerun, and since I've sort of skimmed the history of the world for years I felt it would be fun to DM it.

I see them on eBay all the time... Within the last week I've seen both the City of Splendors boxed set and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep on eBay, both for reasonable prices.

quote:

The NPC's described in this release are usually 'Epic' or 'Leader' level characters, that frankly would not be encountered by most players, or if they did, they certainly wouldn't be fighting them. Hence detailed information about them really isn't required.

I Obtained my copies that way. Caveat emptor, the boxed set I bought was missing the Adventurer's Guide, which was the one part I most wanted. If anyone has a spare set they are willing to sell "as parts," I am always on the lookout for that Adventurer's Guide.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  19:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
from Wooley
And $200 for a partially complete game product? Where does this number come from? For $200, I could buy the City of Splendors boxed set, the City of Splendors sourcebook, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, the Waterdeep Trail Map, FR1 Waterdeep and the North, and still have enough to take my lady out to dinner and a movie.

Actually in Canada (where I live) the books cost between $35-45 before taxes, so if I was to buy the books on Ebay for say $40 US, pay the shipping, and taxes, it would most likely cost me about $70 Cdn. Thats for ONE of those out of print books. Since its not 3.5 I'd have to convert all the critters and NPC's (a lot of time), so its pretty much a waste for me (I work for a living and have only a certain amount of time to run/create/DM adventures), hence when I want a 'GAMEAID' I expect it to cover the basics, not fluff that is not readily useable in a game.

(snip)

cya
Sgain

I'm alarmed by the prices folk are quoting for Waterdeep 2E material on eBay. The only consistently big ticket item I have seen is the Waterdeep Trail Map, on which I have been outbid every time for almost a year. Wizards would do very well to re-release the three Trail Maps (Waterdeep, Kara-Tur, and, I think, Greyhawk).

The search term I have used (quite successfully!) is waterdeep -CD, set to search "all categories", and, "search title and description," with a price limit set in the options on the left side of the page, and with daily notices sent. (To avoid the novels, add "-awlinson -lowder -denning" to the search term.) If one avoids professional games dealer auctions, those with a high minimum bid, and doesn't deal with sellers who've had a negative in the past six months, one can amass a thorough Waterdhavian collection at no more than US $30 per item (and that for the boxed set).

An invaluable tool (heap blessings upon the head of the creator!!!!) is the TSR Forgotten Realms product archive at http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/fr/fr.htm. (Click the link at the bottom of the page to move higher up the hierarchy to access other TSR product lines.) Reading the page for each product provides the publisher's blurb, a break-down of what's included in the product (including loose maps, grids, Monstrous Compendium cards etc.). When shopping for used material, ask the seller if the lot being sold has this, that, and the other thing, if the lot description is not explicit. In the case of the Waterdeep boxed set, you may not, for example, need the posters of the Adventurer's Quarter (in the southwest of the Trades Ward), and a boxed set without them will prove a real bargain (perhaps ten or fifteen dollars), because dealers and thorough collectors won't bid on such a set.

To return to the subject of this scroll, CHECK AMAZON!!! I just saw a listing for City of Splendors on eBay for three dollars more than the Amazon price. Also, armed with the complete names and product numbers, search for used Realms material on Amazon, too. Many products can be had for only a few dollars more than the PDFs. Use the seller's grading of the product and the description as your basis for what the product is worth to you, and don't hesitate to ask the seller if a boxed set or a book which included a separate map or poster is complete. (Many Planescape products sold on Amazon are missing posters or other key parts and are cheaply priced accordingly.)

There are other secrets to buying inexpensive Realms material, but, like a runemaster, I only share those with my family, and those who pay my rent or sleep with me! Many thanks to kuje and others who have directed me to the Archive of TSR/WOTC products and to other helpful sites.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(snip)
The game is not in the minutiae. The game is in the feel and the flavor.

(snip)

That is a good thought, one worthy of being a sig.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  19:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something as complex as a City requires more than just an outline to setup and run properly. Thats why I wanted more detail. I certainly don't expect to have every single building drawn out and populated, nor do I want every single place designated on the map. What I wanted (and obviously this is out of the question) is something that I could build on without having to spend a lot more money and time on.

Heck, even if each of the Wards were an individual book with some more detail I'd be happy, just don't bother putting in more Prestige Classes (useless), Heaps of Background Info (useless), and tons more Magic Items (useless). Come on folks; there must be well over 2 dozen Prestige Classes now! Its getting so that every product has 3 or 4 of them along with more redundant feats and re-hashed monsters.

It seems like every product adds more rules to the game (after all thats what feats and prestige classes are), and its rapidly spinning out of control! What ever happened to just making an adventure with some good hooks and bad guys for us to campaign against? This book spent more space on new classes and magic items than it did on the actual layout of the city.

Doesn't that bother anyone other than me? Am I the only person that wanted to use the product in an actual game, without having to purchase a batch of out of print books?

cya
Sgain

With me, you are preaching to the choir. I have been privately and publicly commended by several readers on the Wiz boards for hammering away at just that point.

I want a book about Thay, I don't WANT just a Red Wizard prestige class (which has made it into the 3.$ DMG, which seems idiotic, considering that one must be Thayan to take that PrC). Whoopee! A prestige class for specialty priests of Waukeen! Too bad so many campaigns are being run without her! (Grrrr. )

Another thing with which I can do without are large floorplans of building interiors. Are DMs now so stupid that they can't draw a square and subdivide it? If a building is a standard, run-of-the-mill Class "C" building, just say so -- don't waste a half page (which costs fifteen to twenty cents a page!) with a floorplan almost identical to one which occurs elsewhere. Gimme a half page of interesting details, instead -- tell me what makes this building so unique that PCs would want to go inside it.

Darnation! The space wasted on all of that "crunchy" junk could be used to provide vast amounts of Realmslore which would make a campaign colorful, memorable, and enjoyable.

As others have pointed out elsewhere, Hasbro uses Wizards as a cash cow, and they have no incentive to improve the quality of their products if players and DMs rush out to indiscriminately buy everything they publish, regardless of quality or substance. Two books to describe cold and hot environments? B*gg*r that! I'll use the 2E dungeoneering book and have every climatic condition dealt with thoroughly, cheaply, and in one book.

The Forgotten Realms books have been written by a diverse group of writers, some of them so excellent that their adventure modules can stand as "literature" in their own right. Please, Wizards, publish books by good writers (among whom I include Eric L. Boyd, pace), but give them space to write! The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Faiths and Avatars are books to be emulated: vast amounts of lore packaged in single books which are in the same price range as books crammed with ill-conceived "prestige classes" and magic items that any reasonable bright person could cook up. And page after page of new magic spells? No, thank you. I haven't counted, but my main characters must have close to a hundred spells at their disposal now. I don't need Praxiteles' Greater Golden Goose Quill spell, I need to know what's over the next hill!

The Realms are supposed to be a shared world, a campaign setting such that one can take a PC from one DM's campaign and plonk him down in another DM's campaign with a minimum of fuss and bother. As it is, in 3E I can know how many times a day a dire half-celestial groundhog farts, but I don't know what's on the road from Waterdeep to Amphail, and if my characters go into another DM's campaign, they will be in a different world the moment they set foot outside Waterdeep, or Silverymoon, or such other well-documented places.

Do I really need to learn about quarter-tiefling, half-dragon bugbears with Improved Ambidexterity? NO! I need to know about Amn and Tethyr and Calimshan and Mulhorrand and the Horde Lands and Kara-Tur. Will I find detailed information on all of these places in 3E products? No, but I can create a one-tenth aasimar, one-tenth celestial, one-tenth draconian, one-fifth dire wolf, one-quarter tiefling, one-quarter shadow creature "halfling"! Enough with the new "races" already! Can't Wizards just publish a book which tells us about the local humans? Unless of course, they are in a secret evil cult, in which case they have ten pages and a new prestige class devoted to them -- at about US $2.00 from a customer's pocket. Membership in a secret, evil cult is apparently now mandatory for all NPCs who aren't specialty priests or the Chosen of "good" deities. How bloody secret is a cult if a 1st level character can see a guy in a bar and the player (if not the character) instantly know that he's a 5th level prestige class Super-Psycho Warrior of the League to Raise Jhaamdath and Enslave Everyone Else, because he has the "secret" tattoo of the Big Brain Hoot Howl on the back of his left hand? Grrrr.

I hope that City of Splendors is more like the FRCS than some of the junk Wizards has published in the past few years. It's on my Amazon wishlist and I'm gonna get it one of these years.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 10 Jul 2005 01:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  20:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizards has decided to share the Waterdeep Map Gallery with us.

Woo hoo!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  20:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

My fellow scribe Sgain,

(snip)

My point is, that magic is quite plentiful in the Realms, and I think it has affected also architecture and city planning/design a lot. Think of all those spells to assist in building and shaping. There are also other races/species that humans have learned from, and "civilization" has existed far longer than it has in our world. So many glorious kingdoms of men, dwarves and elves have existed in the Realms, none of which could be compared properlu to any "empire" in our Earth. There may be more natural resources in the Realms, more coin to spend, and maybe people just "think bigger"?

So the Waterdeep market place is larger than the Trafalgar Square? Why is it a problem - have you seen the size of the market places atop Netheril's enclaves?

(snip)

Another frequently overlooked factor is magical protections. A building has to be pretty big to support all of that lead sheathing or the gold plating around the lab walls and ceilings.

At the risk of evoking groans, the 2E Volo's Guide to All Things Magical deals with magical protections for buildings in the Realms.

The magical protection of buildings was dealt with at length on one of the Yahoo Tekumel groups recently. There are apparently whole orders of spellcasters who specialize in such work. They aren't PC classes because ... hmmm ... they're boring:
quote:
"What did You of the Serene Studies do today, Harsan?"

"Oh, I battled some of Lord Sarku's undead. And You of the Marvellous Ensorcellments?"

"By Thumis, I had a busy day! I cast the Effulgent Barrier Against Fire on Revered Elder Ming's houseboat, and the Glorious Ward Against Offensive Effulvia on an Esteemed Merchant of Far Traveling's outhouse this afternoon. Then I had to supervise the erection of the Blessed Inner Wall of Quiet Slumbers on a new Vriddi clanhouse."

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  01:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does City of Splendors reference any non Realms source books for PrCs and material ie the Complete books or the Libris Mortis?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  01:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Does City of Splendors reference any non Realms source books for PrCs and material ie the Complete books or the Libris Mortis?

Yes. There's an even longer than usual list of abbreviations and other sources at the start. No idea if all are actually referred to in the book or not but list includes the Complete series, Epic Level Handbook, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon, Lords Of Madness, Fiend Folio, MM II and III and although not included on that list I've come across a refenerce to the DMG II.

Which of course measn that I've finally laid hands on a copy, though I decided I couldn't be bothered waiting another few weeks to find a copy here so ordered it from the States. And on first glance, which is all I've really had time for so far, I'm not disappointed. Not at all, it seems like Eric's done a top notch job and this may just be one of the best 3.x Realms products. There seems to be a wealth of useful information and ideas to add real flavour to Waterdeep, which is what it's all about really. The chapter on folk of Waterdeep in particular strikes me as being fantastic.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  02:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which realms characters have Prcs from non FR books?

Ill be interested to see what Eric converted Briglynn and her 2 sisters to as Mystist isnt a class in 3ed

Id bet that Dwarnid Inkpeddler has the Thay Tatatoo feat

Jasmar'n Shadewidow probably has a Prc from Libris Mortis

The Rage Mage may have ranks of that PrC in CW

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  10:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Which realms characters have Prcs from non FR books?

Ill be interested to see what Eric converted Briglynn and her 2 sisters to as Mystist isnt a class in 3ed

Id bet that Dwarnid Inkpeddler has the Thay Tatatoo feat

Jasmar'n Shadewidow probably has a Prc from Libris Mortis

The Rage Mage may have ranks of that PrC in CW

You mean the Rag Mage, Dargoth?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of locations in the 3e Waterdeep book is fairly extensive, and I've managed to reconcile most of them. However, there are a couple of names and places that I'm not sure about.

Does anyone have any info on these names/locations?

- $69 Stagdown Manse - who owns this?
- N64 Maerik Thaelcloak (residence) - who is this?
- N76 Firesong Villa - who owns this?
- C61 Delzimmer (residence) - who is this?
- T47 Huulfor Manor (business?)
- D72 The Pavilion of Paving Stones (guildhall) - a new guild?
- S49 Flame of Hope - what sort of business is this?

Thanks for anyone who can help!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  21:43:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arnwyn

The number of locations in the 3e Waterdeep book is fairly extensive, and I've managed to reconcile most of them. However, there are a couple of names and places that I'm not sure about.

Does anyone have any info on these names/locations?

- $69 Stagdown Manse - who owns this?

The Wyrm of Many Spells. (The text indicating that this is one of her houses was cut, but I hope to include it at a future date. See the original Dragon article for reference to various houses she owns but aren't named.)

quote:
- N64 Maerik Thaelcloak (residence) - who is this?

Dragon #270, page 93.

quote:
- N76 Firesong Villa - who owns this?

The Wyrm of Many Spells again.

quote:
- C61 Delzimmer (residence) - who is this?

Upcoming novel ...

quote:
- T47 Huulfor Manor (business?)

Same upcoming novel ...

quote:
- D72 The Pavilion of Paving Stones (guildhall) - a new guild?

Guild hall of the Loyal Order of Street Laborers. (The guild hall was omitted for this guild only in City of Splendors (2e), so I added one.)

quote:
- S49 Flame of Hope - what sort of business is this?

City of Splendors: Who's Who in Waterdeep, page 92.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  14:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon have CoS but claim theyve only got 4 copies left

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  23:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eric. My referencing is pretty much complete!
Go to Top of Page

daryldens
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  01:56:30  Show Profile  Visit daryldens's Homepage Send daryldens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally saw this book in my local Border's today; wasn't there as recently as Wednesday. It looked very good and looked liked it included a lot of 'non-stat' info on Waterdeep. I'm not a current gamer so I haven't picked up any non-novel FR products in a few years, but because of how good this looked I decided to buy it. Only read the first chapter so far, but its a fun read. Great job Mr. Boyd.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  06:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't seen the book itself, but I just saw an enlargement of the cover on Amazon. Beee-uteeeful painting!

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:13:42  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple few comments regarding following spells;

Laeral's Crowning Touch: I am really glad to see this spell in 3E, and I was pleased to see it retain much of its original effect. Originally I had been of the position that it would be too powerful to convert to 3E, but when compared to existing spells (like say, Greater Bestow Curse), it doesnt seem imbalanced at all. I also liked the incorporation of a lesser XP cost for those with "Mystra's special blessing".

But why is it on the Cleric spell list? It was always a Wizard spell in 2E, and although one of the Chosen of Mystra (Qilue) is a primary Cleric, only Alustriel, Laeral, and the Simbul had actually learned the spell in 2E (as in having it in their spellbooks, and being able to cast it as a Wizard spell instead of just having it as a bonus spell-like ability). Its easy enough to restrict arcane spellcasters access to the spell by interpreting the fact that you cannot select this spell using the Favored in Guild (Blackstaff Academy) feat like you can with other spells created by the Arunsuns, as being justification for it being a rare spell. But having it on the Cleric spell list effectively opens it up to Clerics of ANY Deity. It certainly wouldnt make much sense for Fzoul Chembryl or a High Priest of Cyric to be able to pray for this spell, or even cast it upon say, Elminster. Now if the purpose of adding it to the Cleric spell was to allow Mystra's Clergy to use it, then IMO maybe the spell level entry of "Cleric 9" aught to be replaced with "Initiate of Mystra 9" instead

Khelben's Dweomerdoom: I never heard of this spell before and was exicted to see a new one attributed to him, but when I reached the spell section I became somewhat confused and a little dissapointed. Unless I misread the spell description, Khelben's Dweomerdoom seems woefully underpowered for its spell level. Initially it appears to be a very quick universal counterspell, but reading further simply seems to give the impression that it just removes a prepared spell or spell slot from the targets daily alotment of spells. You dont seem to so much "counter" someones spell as it is being cast but rather just cause them to lose a random spell slot of their highest spell lvel, as if hit by a Blackstaff or a gaining negative level. A Quickened Enervation can remove up to 4 of the targets highest level spell slots, in addition to giving them a -1 to -4 penalty to attacks, saves, effective level, and -5 to -20 hitpoints, and the ability to cause permanent level loss to the target. Alternatively, you can use that 9th level spell slot and take a standard action to cast Energy Drain and knock out 2-8 of the targets highest level spells, and impose a -2 to -8 penalty to attacks, saves, effective level, and impose -10 to -40 hitpoints. While Enervation does require a ranged touch attack and is subject to SR, succeeding on a ranged touch attack is far more likely to be sucessful than succeeding an opposed dispel check against an equal level opponent, especially when dispel checks are capped at a specific level, whereas your attack modifiers and spell penetration bonuses can expand infinitely as you level up.

When you factor in who created the spell, and that players apparently need the Favored in Guilld (Blackstaff Academy) feat to select this spell when leveling up, it makes the spell seem even less powerful. It basically has a fraction of the effect of a Quickened Enervation, but is one spell level higher. The redeeming benefits seem only to be that it is not subject to SR (yet still requires a more difficult CL check), its swift casting time is innate rather than from metamagic, and as a non-necromantic spell it can affect undead or the death-warded. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to be lacking.

P.S. Eric, I am very very happy you guys included Name and Song Attunement and her analyze dweomer/wild magic item touch abilities in Laeral's stat block, and the "bardic knowledge for magic items only" was a nice fluff touch :)

Edited by - The Simbul on 26 Jul 2005 00:17:37
Go to Top of Page

Macresto
Acolyte

Denmark
17 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  11:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Macresto's Homepage Send Macresto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got it and just in time for my holiday. Three weeks with SoC, Best of Greenwood, Elminster in Hell, Elminster's Daughter and the writing of a brand new Campaign. It's gonna be GREAT !!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Questions About Waterdeep's Countryside

I bought City of Splendors: Waterdeep, and did immediately browse through the book, in search of information about Waterdeep's countryside. And, as expected, I did find nothing. Still, I would like to have answered the following questions, if possible:

- If the city has a population of 312,661 inhabitants within the city limits (I assume, inside the city wall), how many do live in the countryside? I Assume 10 times 312,661.
- How far from the city does the countryside stretch?
- How many are the farmsteads, thorps, hamlets, and so on in Waterdeep's countryside?
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  13:50:09  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Question of Religions and Tolerance

What would happen if a follower of Cyric would like to enter to Waterdeep? Say that this follower carries a holy item of Cyric and openly displays it. Would the guards at the gates kill him, take him to the jail, refuse to let him enter, or would they let him enter to the city (with a warning like, 'be caucious ... not many like your god')?

I assume that the guards must follow the laws of the city. That is, it does not matter if the guards love or hate Cyric. What matters, are the laws about religion in Waterdeep ... Please, elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  17:25:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

A Question of Religions and Tolerance

What would happen if a follower of Cyric would like to enter to Waterdeep? Say that this follower carries a holy item of Cyric and openly displays it. Would the guards at the gates kill him, take him to the jail, refuse to let him enter, or would they let him enter to the city (with a warning like, 'be caucious ... not many like your god')?

I assume that the guards must follow the laws of the city. That is, it does not matter if the guards love or hate Cyric. What matters, are the laws about religion in Waterdeep ... Please, elaborate.

Waterdeep is a pretty tolerant city. So long as you obey the city laws, you're pretty much free to worship whoever you want.

In your example, the guards would have no reason to stop the Cyricist. They might tell him to behave, but that's about all they could do. So long as he didn't break any laws and/or harm anyone, there's not a lot they'll do about him.

Of course, there are many power groups in the City of Splendors. I'd not be surprised if one or more of them didn't watch the gates to some extent, taking note of who entered and left. Your Cyricist might acquire a tail or two as he moves about the city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  17:40:45  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Wooly Rupert mentioned, Mourngrym Amcathra is listed as a Chondathan human, while his parents are Tethyrian humans. However, I have not seen any responce from the author to that possible error ... Assuming that MA is a Tethyrian.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question about religion and Waterdeep would be if a priest of Cyric may raise a temple in Waterdeep. I wounder what the laws of Waterdeep state in that matter ... After reading page 38, I get the impression that it is not legal to build a temple to Cyric in Waterdeep. Also, I wounder if it is not allowed, if it is a matter of opinion or law, that is, maybe the lords of Wsaterdeep must give their permision to a person who wants to build a temple to, say Cyric. But, maybe, it is written somewhere in the laws of Waterdeep that temples of Cyric are not allowed ...
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  18:29:58  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regnet Amcathra is also listed as Chondathan!?!

And, is Mourngrym's father, Challas, the brother of lord Arilos? Nothing is stated in that matter.

What is ment by "now paying playing host to his aged parents" in page 61? I interpret that as meaning that Mourngrym is currently in Waterdeep.

The books (all FR books) should start with a statement about the current year ... ehem ... what is the current year?

Edited by - webmanus on 27 Jul 2005 18:33:19
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  21:28:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Challas and possibly Miri should be Chondathan. My mistake.

Why is the family Chondathan? 22% of Waterdeep's population is Chondathan, so it makes sense that some of the noble families are as well.

Mourngrym is still in Shadowdale. His parents are visiting Shadowdale at the present time.

Arilos is the first son of Challas and Miri. Regnet is the second son of Arilos. Mourngrym is Arilos's younger brother.

The current time is Midsummer, 1374 DR.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  19:25:55  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, my Mourngrym was a black haired Tethyrian ... now, he became a brown haired Chondathan :) Now, those few Shadowdalians that illspoke the foreigner Mourngrym (a Tethyrian) has something less to pick on :)

Still, you got me confused here ... please, let me double check. Which of the following is correct ...

a) Arilos, Regnet, and Mourngrym are brothers. Their father and mother are Challas and Miri.
b) Arilos and Mourngrym are brothers. Their father and mother are Challas and Miri. Regnet is Ariloas second son.
c) other

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  10:28:23  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

One more question for you, this time, regarding requirements for the members of the armed forces of Waterdeep. Members are required to serve on average 20 - 30 hours per tenday. That seems very low. I had estimated 100 hours per tenday. 20 - 30 hours would mean that 8% - 12.5% of the total forces of Waterdeep are on service for patroll etc.

I have not double checked, to verify that the numbers of soldiers on duty are enough to cover all posts etc.

Could you please elaborate?

Best regards,
Manuel

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  12:09:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, my Mourngrym was a black haired Tethyrian ... now, he became a brown haired Chondathan :) Now, those few Shadowdalians that illspoke the foreigner Mourngrym (a Tethyrian) has something less to pick on :)

Still, you got me confused here ... please, let me double check. Which of the following is correct ...

a) Arilos, Regnet, and Mourngrym are brothers. Their father and mother are Challas and Miri.
b) Arilos and Mourngrym are brothers. Their father and mother are Challas and Miri. Regnet is Ariloas second son.
c) other

B.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2005 :  02:24:47  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Eric,

One more question for you, this time, regarding requirements for the members of the armed forces of Waterdeep. Members are required to serve on average 20 - 30 hours per tenday. That seems very low. I had estimated 100 hours per tenday. 20 - 30 hours would mean that 8% - 12.5% of the total forces of Waterdeep are on service for patroll etc.

I have not double checked, to verify that the numbers of soldiers on duty are enough to cover all posts etc.

Could you please elaborate?

Best regards,
Manuel

Think of it as the US Military.
There are Active Duty (Full Timers) and there are Reservists (Anywhere from 1 weekend a month up to full time service).

In the Realms the Reservists could be some of the "elite" troops that are on call, i.e. adventurers. The minimum time requirement is to ensure they stay within a reasonable distance of Waterdeep.

Or at least that is how I see it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  02:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I finally have city of Splendors!

So far Ive only flicked through it but the Churches and Religious orders section is impressive, Eric please tell me you passed this format on to Thomas and Sean when they where writing Cov!?!?!?

One thing I did notice that I thought was rather amusing is the Typo's in the first paragraph of this section someone used the $ instead of S when they where writing the Temple location codes!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page