Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  18:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is very good to hear all that news about this tome. I think that I will go to Amazon next month, and buy my copy soon

But tell me one thing: Speaking about "faith matters", we have some news about Lady Alathene Moonstar? It is very good to hear that Tymora smiles to Kyriani Agrivar, so I start to wonder if Lady Alathene have some new development (maybe finally found that dastard Vanrak )

Chosen of Moradin, Knight of pen and quill, and one member of that great army of lovers of Lady Kyriani

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  21:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And another related question:

Feluna Moonstar and the selunite werecats make his way to the City of Splendors tome?

Chosen of Moradin, thinking in how strange will be a weretressyn , and remembering fondly in one day when Lady Kyri lead him to the House of Moon, and there from the Infinite Staircase, right down to Grazz´t layers, to rescue the Merchant´s Friend.... good ol´days...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  21:44:11  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

How is the binding? Somebody please tell me, maybe I'll get some rest

Mine was fine, really tight in fact (ie wouldn't sit open when I got it).
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  21:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shakes his hand at the enworld boards*
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  01:31:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

It is very good to hear that Tymora smiles to Kyriani Agrivar, so I start to wonder if Lady Alathene have some new development (maybe finally found that dastard Vanrak )

Ahh yes, Vanrak. I'd like to seee more of him. Eric?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  01:51:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look to the Champions of Ruin web enhancement to learn more of Vanrak.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  02:11:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

quote:

I got mine today and my binding was as you described above. I look forward to getting a chance to read through this tome. Right now, one of my players is reading it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  02:15:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Look to the Champions of Ruin web enhancement to learn more of Vanrak.

--Eric

Any official word on its release date Eric?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  02:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric

Apparently CoS doesnt have much to say about Skullport due to it have a fairly recent 2ed source book

Any chance we could get an update on the "Last couple of years of news and events" and a 3ed stating of the NPCs in 2ed Skullport? (Even if its just a single stat line)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  03:31:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Splendors does have 3e updates of the NPCs in 2e Skullport. It also has the latest events (focused primarily on the Paul Kemp trilogy effects).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  09:46:29  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

quote:

I got mine today and my binding was as you described above. I look forward to getting a chance to read through this tome. Right now, one of my players is reading it.

Gasp!!!

How could you do that.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  09:47:36  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Eric

Apparently CoS doesnt have much to say about Skullport due to it have a fairly recent 2ed source book

Any chance we could get an update on the "Last couple of years of news and events" and a 3ed stating of the NPCs in 2ed Skullport? (Even if its just a single stat line)

I think about 2 dozen NPCs from Skullport have the single stat line.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  10:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Skullport NPCs get a write up?

(I seem to recall that one maybe 2 of the NPCs from Skullport where stated in Serpent Kingdoms)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
I think about 2 dozen NPCs from Skullport have the single stat line.

Unless something changed in a very late draft of editing (don't have the book yet), every single NPC mentioned in the NPC chapter of Skullport gets a single stat line. That's all that's really needed to update the Skullport book to 3e, IMO, plus it gives new DMs something to work with I hope.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  11:13:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, why did Force Gray become the Gray Hands?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
Gasp!!!

How could you do that.

Do what? Let my player have it? Easy, I have one FR novel to finish, and two FR novels on their way. Plus, there's my wife to kill, Gilda to frame for it...I'm swamped.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  12:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Have to say that "Force Grey" isnt a really good name for fantasy setting. When read force Grey it makes me think of naval groups or army taskforces from World War 2

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  13:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I particularly like the way it builds on so much of the earlier stuff. I've seen repeated references to characters, places, and events that were first in Dragon articles, in addition to the stuff that was in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the City of Splendors boxed set (and we still don't know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn? Interesante...).

Correction, Wooly--YOU don't know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn.

Steven
Who wanders off, cackling madly while conspiring with voices in the air that sound suspiciously like Khelben, Maskar Wands, and Hilather of the Taarahaven Fields....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  14:05:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WoTC decided that Force Grey felt inappropriate as a group name in the Realms and that Gray Hands was a more appropriate.

My bias is always towards consistency (to a fault), but if I was starting from scratch I would have definitely picked "Gray Hands."

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  14:26:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were there any other specific changes made to those organisations presented in CoS... that is, from what we already know about them in the 2e material?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  15:00:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Were there any other specific changes made to those organisations presented in CoS... that is, from what we already know about them in the 2e material?

I'm not sure I understand the question, so correct me if I'm headed the wrong way here.

Ignoring 2e->3e mechanics and updates resulting from the passage of time, the change of the name from "Force Grey" to "Gray Hands" is the only deviation from canon that we made consciously (at least as far as I can remember). The feat I called "Hand of Tyr" didn't end up quite the way I envisioned (it started out as a way to explain that one-handed paladin of Tyr found in 2e CoS), but I think its a useful and well-balanced feat as written.

IMO, the name change isn't that big a deal ... lots of groups (like the Moonstars, for example) have lots of variant names. I'd simply treat Force Grey and Gray Hands as variant names for the same group.
--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  17:42:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
I particularly like the way it builds on so much of the earlier stuff. I've seen repeated references to characters, places, and events that were first in Dragon articles, in addition to the stuff that was in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the City of Splendors boxed set (and we still don't know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn? Interesante...).

Correction, Wooly--YOU don't know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn.

Steven
Who wanders off, cackling madly while conspiring with voices in the air that sound suspiciously like Khelben, Maskar Wands, and Hilather of the Taarahaven Fields....

Okay, then, what happened to it?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  17:49:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

WoTC decided that Force Grey felt inappropriate as a group name in the Realms and that Gray Hands was a more appropriate.

My bias is always towards consistency (to a fault), but if I was starting from scratch I would have definitely picked "Gray Hands."

--Eric

I figured it was likely something like that.

Another question: While I quite like the fact that Brianne was listed as a Lord, as was her late husband, I'm a little curious about why a couple of others weren't listed.

The other two are Asper and Deliah the White. Ed named Asper as a Lord in his short story in Realms of the Underdark, and Deliah the White was named as a Lord by Troy Denning in The Siege.

Any particular reason those two weren't listed as Lords?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  18:33:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I missed the references. ;-)

Fortunately I left myself some wiggle room by including unnamed additional Lords.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  22:48:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I missed the references. ;-)

Fortunately I left myself some wiggle room by including unnamed additional Lords.

--Eric

I figured that's what it was. I only knew about the Asper reference because someone pointed it out to me when I was researching the Lords of Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  23:57:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to post in here that I thought the new book was great. I think that Eric Boyd totally captured the mood and excitement that Waterdeep embodies. It has easily been one of my favorite FR tomes up to this date, but then again, I am a Waterdeep junkie at heart.

BTW, this is my first post, so... uh.. hello everyone!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  00:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Just wanted to post in here that I thought the new book was great. I think that Eric Boyd totally captured the mood and excitement that Waterdeep embodies. It has easily been one of my favorite FR tomes up to this date, but then again, I am a Waterdeep junkie at heart.

Welcome to Candlekeep!

I'm truly digging this tome, too. And I'm another Waterdeep junkie.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not sure I understand the question, so correct me if I'm headed the wrong way here.
No, you answered my question Eric . Thanks.

quote:
The feat I called "Hand of Tyr" didn't end up quite the way I envisioned (it started out as a way to explain that one-handed paladin of Tyr found in 2e CoS), but I think its a useful and well-balanced feat as written.
Did the feat change accidently during the design process? Or, did you simply decide to give it an alternate focus based on what you wanted to do with Tyr?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  12:52:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome to Candlekeep. My player is one of the harshest critics of 3E/3.5E products that I've encountered and even she is enjoying this tome. So good job EB.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  14:19:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that Eric Boyd totally captured the mood and excitement that Waterdeep embodies.
No argument there. Eric definitely has an amazing ability to properly tap the atmosphere of the Realms in everything he writes.

quote:
It has easily been one of my favorite FR tomes up to this date, but then again, I am a Waterdeep junkie at heart.
Even though I haven't received my copy yet, I just know I'm going to end up feeling the same way .

quote:

Congratulations! And welcome to Candlekeep . I hope you enjoy your stay .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000