Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  20:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

So, I saw a nigh-final draft (typeset) earlier this week. We found a few typos, so it had to go back to the typsetter one more time.

Hopeing to forestall all the "Faeruun" jokes ...

--Eric

As long as there's no listings for Ukta...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  20:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, I saw a nigh-final draft (typeset) earlier this week. We found a few typos, so it had to go back to the typsetter one more time.

--Eric

Count me confused; is this a new typeset for CoS:W?
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  20:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, they're talking about Eric's "Environs of Waterdeep" web enhancement that has been a loooooooooooooooong time getting to where it is supposed to be - on the WotC site - much to everyone's frustration.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  21:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

No, they're talking about Eric's "Environs of Waterdeep" web enhancement that has been a loooooooooooooooong time getting to where it is supposed to be - on the WotC site - much to everyone's frustration.

Ah, okay. Good! More Realmslore is always good!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  02:03:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

That's a relief... I still have players who are convinced that is the way Faerûn is supposed to be spelt .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  08:17:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, we all know the ^ is just laziness, it's supposed to be Faerusn (as in hôpital, fenêtre, or hôtel), saith Kajehase who's been working on his French lately.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  13:58:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Eric or Ed (through THO):

I know this is a last minute question, as I would need the answer within the next 10 hours (i.e. I am DMing the next instalment of my campaign tonight, 7pm Eastern Time), so I will completely understand if this comes later, and will adapt my game accordingly.

Basically, I looked into the Law section of City of Splendors to find out what kind of sentences could result of the improper use of magic in the streets of Waterdeep. Basically, a chimera broke loose of a cage, which was part of a menagerie headed towards the Field of Triumph. Of course, the PCs stepped in front of the crowd to protect them. The wizard, not so much... and while staying behind the crowd, flung an ice storm at the chimera, aiming the best he could through the gaps offered by the moving crowd. Turns out that due to the poor visibility, he did not notice three circus folks surrounding the chimera from the other side, wielding long poking sticks. They froze to death when the maximized ice storm materialized on the chimera, them and the front part of a shop.

What would be the sentence for such an act, keeping in mind that dozens of witnesses gave statements to the City Watch, and keeping in mind that the menagerie owner did NOT press charge or complain against the PCs?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  14:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I know this is a last minute question, as I would need the answer within the next 10 hours (i.e. I am DMing the next instalment of my campaign tonight, 7pm Eastern Time), so I will completely understand if this comes later, and will adapt my game accordingly.

Basically, I looked into the Law section of City of Splendors to find out what kind of sentences could result of the improper use of magic in the streets of Waterdeep. Basically, a chimera broke loose of a cage, which was part of a menagerie headed towards the Field of Triumph. Of course, the PCs stepped in front of the crowd to protect them. The wizard, not so much... and while staying behind the crowd, flung an ice storm at the chimera, aiming the best he could through the gaps offered by the moving crowd. Turns out that due to the poor visibility, he did not notice three circus folks surrounding the chimera from the other side, wielding long poking sticks. They froze to death when the maximized ice storm materialized on the chimera, them and the front part of a shop.

What would be the sentence for such an act, keeping in mind that dozens of witnesses gave statements to the City Watch, and keeping in mind that the menagerie owner did NOT press charge or complain against the PCs?

whipping out my old copy of Waterdeep and the North

Heres a couple ofoptions

Murder with Justification: Exiles from the city for up to 5 years or Enforced Hard Labour 3 years

Magical Assault: Fine of up to 1,000 gp AND Damages payable to "injured" party (in this case the cost of 3 raise dead spells) AND Edicted against Conviction public announcement declaring the convicted cant do something (In this case this would probably be "May not cast spells within Waterdeep"

There isnt a manslaughter punishment in the book the 2 punishments closest to what your situation are the above

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  17:01:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I posted this in Ed's and Eric's thread for you as well, since it'll probably getting a faster reply there.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  20:13:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

whipping out my old copy of Waterdeep and the North

Heres a couple ofoptions

Murder with Justification: Exiles from the city for up to 5 years or Enforced Hard Labour 3 years

Magical Assault: Fine of up to 1,000 gp AND Damages payable to "injured" party (in this case the cost of 3 raise dead spells) AND Edicted against Conviction public announcement declaring the convicted cant do something (In this case this would probably be "May not cast spells within Waterdeep"

There isnt a manslaughter punishment in the book the 2 punishments closest to what your situation are the above

Many thanks, Dargoth!

I will opt for the "magical assault" sentence. "Damages Payable" of the cost of 3 raise dead spells is perhaps debatable, however, as "Damages" are highly relative depending on whom has been damaged... in this case, I would argue that the menagerie owner suffered damages (dead, highly valuable chimera, which he owned in full, PLUS loss of profit due to sudden lack of manpower PLUS cost of rehiring new staff). The menagerie isn't local, therefore family and friends of the deceased have no recourse within Waterdeep, as far as I know, to sue the PCs (if anything along these lines could be done!) Perhaps if the PCs visit the homelands of the deceased, then they could face the legal wrath of the families, otherwise...

What say you?

Other than that, 1000gp + no casting within Waterdeep sounds very, very delectable for this DM!!!

NOTE: the PCs sought the menagerie owner afterwards, and donated 50gp per deceased to be passed down to their families...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  21:53:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The menagerie owner should be partially responsible, since it was his critter that got loose.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  22:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The menagerie owner should be partially responsible, since it was his critter that got loose.

The Waterdeep Judicial system doesnt seem to have a punishment for negiligent Assault or Homocide

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  22:49:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's Ed's answer btw. :)

"Ed Comes Through!

Kuje, please forward this to Purple Dragon Knight, hot off Ed's keyboard:

Sentencing depends on Pc's contrition (or lack thereof) in court. Here's the best possible outcome: guilty on three counts of Murder With Justification, and three counts of Magical Assault. Result: exile from Waterdeep for 10 years total for the first three, and damages of 2000 gp payable by the PC wizard to the kin/survivors of the three dead circus folk (payable to the circus in lieu, if no kin or can't easily be found). So, 2000 times three. If the PC can't pay, forfeiture of all goods to kin (failing that: circus), plus a year of (supervised)spellcasting in service to Waterdeep (in effect, PC becomes unpaid employee/servant, does some adventuring/monster cleanup in Undermountain, and casts spells for coin, coin then turned over to kin/circus (full year, coin in excess of 2000 each is considered interest on delayed payment of court fine).

If PC behaves just right, impresses Palace official, can be parlayed into real job (rest of PCs allowed to tag along IF they behave).

Good luck!

Ed

And there you have it. More Realmslore as usual, later . . .

love to all,
THO"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  23:35:43  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My faith in the THO-Ed symbiotic partnership is now unshakeable.

Ed, THO, sorry, but this will be totally uncool but...: YOU ROCK!

Edit: Kuje, I almost forgot... thank you VERY MUCH for the assistance!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 10 Apr 2006 23:37:12
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  23:40:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob, PDK. Enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  06:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its the 30th of April and Ive got a question for my fellow Candlekeep Scribes: Which of the following do you think will happan first

Police will find Jimmy Hoffa's body

or

WOTC will post the 2nd CoS WE up on their site?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  06:18:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering we are getting art galleries for products that came out during 3.0 and are currently out of print . . . I wouldn't even want to venture a guess.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  07:39:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well its the 30th of April and Ive got a question for my fellow Candlekeep Scribes: Which of the following do you think will happan first

or

You know what... my birthday's on Tuesday. So here's an ideal opportunity for WotC to deliver a great birthday present for me. ::hint hint::

::snicker::

C'mon Wizards... .

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  02:12:11  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

or

Hello-

I think - quite possibly - it may be at the same time. :) I think Hoffa picked up the only copy of them just before he disappeared - as he needed some paper for somthing - and tucked it into his pocket. He just did not realize that they were *special* papers - and that a rae space-time disturbance had just landed them on his desk.

In all honesty - I wonder if they are waiting because of tie-ins with Blackstaff........

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  04:54:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

In all honesty - I wonder if they are waiting because of tie-ins with Blackstaff........

Dhomal

So your saying its all Steve's fault.........

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  19:13:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should start a pool. My guess is May 3rd.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  20:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

Well met

...which would be perfect, being my birthday 'n' all

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  20:25:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

--Eric

Well met

Wow, you can still remember your birthday? I thought that you'd have forgotten it decades ago...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  23:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

Wow, you can still remember your birthday? I thought that you'd have forgotten it decades ago...

Well met

Oh no, my furry friend... i'd ne'er forget my birthday and month. 'tis only my age which I don't recall

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  23:15:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Well met

Oh no, my furry friend... i'd ne'er forget my birthday and month. 'tis only my age which I don't recall

The Roll of Years prolly doesn't go back that far.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  23:16:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

'tis only my age which I don't recall

I thought that ability was only posessed by the Female of Species!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  01:40:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Eric

Well met

I'm still hoping for today!

::The Sage blows the candles out on his cake while making a wish for a certain web enhancement to appear at WotC::

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  08:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

::The Sage blows the candles out on his cake while making a wish for a certain web enhancement to appear at WotC::

Well met

And a happy birthday to thee, Sage

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  08:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday!

Maybe the web team is going for CoS:W's anniversary.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  08:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Happy birthday!

Maybe the web team is going for CoS:W's anniversary.

Well met

Thank ye, Faraer. Alas, nothing has appeared yet, nothing at all for today (WotC FR update day)... so there's still time

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic