Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 General submission question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  17:33:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth Yaztromo

Also my synopsis is cluttered and doesn't have any indentations or paragraph divisions. It is merely a block of 10pt text, which I managed to squeeze in the events of the story. Is this ok?

Definitely not. You need to make sure your synopsis is as professional looking as the rest of your proposal, and that means formatting it correctly. You can find a great article on writing strong, concise, one-page synopses at http://www.geocities.com/hotclue/barebones.html.

I couldn't agree more. Proper formatting is very important. Unless the guidelines specify that 10pt type is okay, you'd be better off with 11pt. You're not doing yourself any favors sending something that looks hard to read. A page-long block with no paragraph divisions and small type is a daunting prospect.

Here's another point to consider: My first editor, Jim Lowder, emphasized that I should be able to summarize a story premise in fifty words or less. If I couldn't, most likely the idea wasn't focused enough. Likewise, if you can't summarize a story in one page, the problem might be with your summary, but you might also want to consider whether the story itself is not yet sufficiently focused. While this might not hold true for ALL stories, it's a good thing to keep in mind when planning a 90,000 words fantasy adventure.

Best of luck on your submission!

ec

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  17:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a double-spaced proposal, a scene break without using an extra line would look like this:

Bob walked the long way home, still unable to believe his dog spoke

perfect Spanish.

#

The next day, the dog was speaking Urdu. Quite a remarkable animal,

really.

However, it's worth underlining the earlier discussion on this thread about how Wizards formats their own work. It's up to you to what extent you think this is going to matter to an editor.

On the subject of your synopsis, I agree wholeheartedly with Kameron. Reading a single block of text, especially in 10pt. font, is a surefire way to give an editor a migraine, which is a surefire way to land your proposal in the circular file. Indents are absolutely crucial, and I personally try not to use overly long paragraphs, either. I believe quite strongly that it's worth sacrificing a line or two of explanation in favor of a neat proposal. It's not easy cramming a whole novel into a page, but if it can't be done, you should ask yourself whether your story can be told in 90K words anyway.

To be clear, WotC has specified that 10pt. font is allowed, so you're OK there. (Although you may choose to go with a larger one anyway, just to appeal to the editors' eyeballs.) But since 10pt. is hard to read, you should be extra careful with the other details to make sure your synopsis is readable without resort to Tylenol.

EDIT: Ms. Cunningham and I evidently answered this question simultaneously. So if there seems to be some overlap in our replies, that's why!

Edited by - Erin Tettensor on 27 Jul 2004 17:52:44
Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You can find a great article on writing strong, concise, one-page synopses at http://www.geocities.com/hotclue/barebones.html

Thanks Kam. Great article - just what I was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  03:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Richard, Elaine and Zyx for the help on my synopsis. Zyx I liked the Spanish speaking dog example for the division of paragraphs. :)

And that link was very helpful. I am glad I read it before I submitted my proposal.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  08:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Submitted, after much meticulousness editing.

Hopefully I get a reply even if I don't get accepted. I dread the long, dark silence that follows.

Edit: Damn. In my haste to post it I forgot to include the legal agreement form. I will have to re-submit it all again tomorrow.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."

Edited by - Gareth Yaztromo on 03 Aug 2004 08:46:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000