Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Canterbury Tales for Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  01:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've had an idea for a FR novel that has been in my head for a few years. I know I will never write it, but love the idea and want to share it. The novel wouldn't be your usual hack and slash adventure, but be more like the Canterbury Tales. There would be many protagonists, each with their own story and tale. Each story would have a distinctive flair that would show subtleties of the region and each character's personality show through.

The overall story would be about a simple goat herder who is from a small village. The man is massive in size and quite skilled in arms, yet he wants nothing but the simple life of his quiet village and the hand of his love in marriage. The love of his life is the town bard and singer, and lovely lass she is. Before she agrees to marry him, she is convinced to join an adventuring group in a quest across Faerun. She swears she will return. The village is upset as well, as she was the only good singer around for miles. Only a young and annoying youth is left to sing the same traditional songs and stories to everyone.

As one would guess, the fair maiden magically calls for help from her love from far away. The goat herder gathers his gear and heads out after her. The young singer decides to join him as he has nothing left in the village as well. The two of them travel the length and breadth of Faerun, trying to catch up to the adventuring group. In each city, the pair runs into every-day citizens of the world who all have a story to tell. Each person is unique and interesting and has a world perspective that is different then anything they have encountered before.

I see the chapters broken up by different perspectives. The one consistent storyteller is the perspective of the young singer who chronicles the simple man across Faerun. During this trip, the man becomes even grimmer and fiercer as he desperately fears for his love. The pair meet someone, who then starts a new chapter which is a story told by that person's perspective. Examples are a story by a tanner from Caluant; another would be a ghost story of revenge from the Moonsea; A parable about a rooster and a horse from Sembia, and many more.

The story would end with the goat herder discovering his love dead by a criminal. The man then hunts him down and kills him in an ironic way, which invokes Hoar, the doom bringer. The goat herder becomes a dejected man with nothing left except the notion of revenge. He becomes someone the young singer calls the "Hand of Hoar". The Hand goes and gets revenge for those that can't. With the help of the young singer, he becomes a living legend. The young singer, by now, has become a talented storyteller and singer with a wide repitioute (sp?) of interesting stories.

Overall, there is the epic story of the pair traveling across the world. In between would be tales told by average people across the world. These aren't stories of beholders almost destroying the world or evil magicians doing something crazy. These are based on the average hopes, dreams, fears, and humors of the average man in FR. I believe that a story like this would give greater insight into the world that is the Forgotten Realms and make it a more believable place.

Thoughts, opinions, and flames?

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  11:54:28  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notwithstanding that someone could label a cookbook as an FR novel and I would read it if I could, this story seems really good. A little bit sad that the maiden has to die, and I do abhor sad endings, but nonetheless a respectable idea.

My one question: why not write it though? If you have the idea...I say go for it, you never know till you try!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  11:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have come to understand my own weaknesses. I know that I come up with 101 good ideas, but am content to just arrange them to perfection in my head. Once I have the idea down, I don't really feel the need to continue it further. Also, with a family and the daily grind of suburban life (dishes, trash day, DnD night) I know that I am unwilling to make the commitment to write it.

As for the sad ending, you can always look at the other aspects of the story ending. The young bard becomes an experienced bard and in fact quite a good one. Also, the unavenged people of the world now have a dark champion in the Hand of Hoar. Ok.....so it really is kinda sad at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  12:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an idea... you do all the brainstorming and get someone else to write it for you!

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  20:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to do that, but I guess that's what I am doing here. Wish there was money in it.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  20:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed that this thread has been reviewed 95 times already.

Even if no one used my idea for a story, I would love to see some sort of Canterbury Tales for FR. I want a story that deals with the everyday people of FR. I like that the FR is a living, breathing world without some super-heros flying around and saving it. I'm drawn into that aspect of the game world.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  05:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

Notwithstanding that someone could label a cookbook as an FR novel and I would read it if I could, this story seems really good. A little bit sad that the maiden has to die, and I do abhor sad endings, but nonetheless a respectable idea.

My one question: why not write it though? If you have the idea...I say go for it, you never know till you try!

I'd second MuadDib's suggestion: write it Lashan.
Your story outline is wonderful. I read Canterbury Tales years ago at school and thought it was a great book. This idea of yours is a refreshing change from the normal mighty hero genre. Small amusing ancedotes and simple parable stories linking a grand story arc together.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  07:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand your plight, Lashan. I too suffer from a marked lack of stick-um in my nethers when it comes to writing. I'm good for about 100 pages, then my attention wanders...

What was I saying?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  18:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just want to say I like the idea, Lashan, though not if it became a Once Around the Realms or Mage in the Iron Mask-style pastiche.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  11:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh...I would hate it to become that. What I really want it to end up like is the Canterbury Tales. Each normal person that gets bumped into can really take a new direction to the flavor and style of the narrative. You know how there are fantasy novels, and then there are really good stories that happen to be fantasy? I want the latter for this type of story. It might even bore regular FR fans. There would be no iconic, not many battles, etc.

For me, I just like coming up with the idea. Once the thoughts are all in order in my head, I become bored with an idea. I'm more of a painter then a writer, anyways.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000