Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster Series (SPOLIERS Galore)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  16:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There will be spoilers in this thread. Information revealed here can ruin surprises in any or all of the five Elminster novels, and I grant fair warning to all who enter: Here be Dragons... of the mind.

Having finally gotten around to reading Elminster in Myth Drannor, I've discovered that our friend Ed Greenwood is a naughty devil indeed.

At the beginning of chapter 17, we are introduced to a lovely half-elven maid named Nacacia, who is intended as a sort of love interest for Elminster. Fair enough, one says, for we'll likely never see the resolution of any affair they might have. There are only a few chapters left. But one begins to think, about other books one has read. Say, for instance, Elminster's Daughter.
quote:
Laspeera nodded. "Narnra," she said gently, "I, too, am a daughter of Elminster. Welcome, sister. Truly, I am . . . . and there are a lot of us."

"Myself, for instance," Queen Filfaeril said calmly, causing Cormyrean jaws to drop all over the room, "though neither of us knew it for some years."
Nacacia, half-elven maid and onetime love of Elminster, shares both her name and her auburn hair with a certain Mithral Princess (far lovelier than her current "Steel Regent"), and one is left to wonder whether this was Ed's intent: that Filfaeril is not Elminster's daughter, but a distant descendant of that union forged at the very birth of Myth Drannor.

Ed has confirmed my suspicion, as he has at other instances where I discovered hints at heritage (fear not if you don't find them; this is what I do). Perhaps Elminster is not the randy old mage we were first led to believe, instead siring, as millenium-old wizards are wont to do, the occasional child through the ages and having a proper number of descendants.

Just perhaps, though. ;)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  18:46:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting... Have you any more to share?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  19:34:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's interesting... Have you any more to share?

Yeah...like DNA results.

Seriously, thanks for sharing your observation. The last Elminster book certainly brought up more questions than answers with the bombshells dropped in those last couple of pages.

Ever notice how a certain author is good at this feat?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I can't spoil everything; 'twould be unfair to Ed to call out all his secrets at once. I will, however, say that the descriptions of certain characters in the Elminster series (including Elminster's Daughter) are strikingly reminiscent of characters in other sources, suggesting, perhaps, a shared heritage or a clearer heritage than has been revealed thusfar.

I would, however, suggest that all those willing to flip and reread pay close attention to the eyes of certain ladies when they grow angered, and remember mages long past.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000