Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why is it
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  07:55:54  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Why is it that i look and look all around the book stores all the time and i find everything i could possibly but when i look for good Forgotten Realms books im always at a lost, i always ALWAYS see books about elves and humans has anyone made a book about Halflings and gnomes (LORD OF THE RINGS DOESN'T COUNT NOT A FR BOOK)

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  10:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm.

Shadow's Witness features a halfling. The adventurer band in The Rage has a smart-mouthed halfling warslinger. Azure Bonds has Olive Ruskettle, a rather cute halfling bard.

Gnomes... You'd have better luck with Dragonlance. Heh.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  15:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most people tend to overlook gnomes literaly and because they don't seem to have accomplished much but I still beleove they are important . so there must be some gnomes out there check some older series.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  15:47:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a book about gnomes and halflings would, by definition, be a short book.

*starts ducking the incoming projectiles*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  17:00:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think a book about gnomes and halflings would, by definition, be a short book.

with brief dialogue?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

with brief dialogue?

Only the gnomes; everyone possessed of true Realmslore knows that the hin/halflings "go commando."

One of the best halflings of FR lore: Foxilon Cardluck of the Realmsmaster crew (FR Comics 1-24; 1989-1991).

Steven
Who unleashed the Buckleswashers on an unsuspecting Waterdeep in 1993

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  00:43:04  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol Short book but you have to keep in mind that Gnomes do alot of things for the Realms. They are the Inventers and they create rather Brillaint stuff like a flyable submarine
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  00:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another reason stores are a bad place to buy FR books ( i don't know if its because of the distribution numbers or something else) but when I go to the store to buy a certain book, they never have it there for me...a good example is the fourth book in the War of the Spider Queen series....They never have that!!

"Turn your face to the shadows, and let the sun fall behind you"
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  01:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I always thought halfings & gnomes often get short changed in most fantasy stories

They are there as comic relief most of the time. Regis is one of the few halfings who has quite a dark background and is not played as a bumbling side kick.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 26 Jul 2004 01:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  01:31:04  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's because nobody knows what to do with gnomes. Halflings (wasn't there another in the Azure Bonds series?) have a bit of a violent past, and thus can develop an interesting background (also they are rogues, which give them footholds in the "dark history as a member of a thief guild" etc.)

Gnomes have no history, and the only personality is from Dragonlance, where they feature as comic relief most of the time, or the real world, where gnomes are always either amusing or harmless. Its all very well saying that gnomes are the "Forgotten Folk", but that shouldn't mean that they are meant to be forgotten.

One avenue would be to develop a gnome character as a focused spellcaster... maybe with a short fuse! (Couldn't resist)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  03:02:16  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe WotC could start out by doing an anthology about gnomes.

A book full of short stories.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  03:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they should start doing race limited books...the only one I know of is the Evermeet book. Dwarfs, gnomes, halflings, and giants are some of these. They also should do some class limited books, such as assassins or highwaymen...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  04:07:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick the Nightblade
They also should do some class limited books, such as assassins or highwaymen...

Haven't they already started doing that
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  05:49:48  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i belive so lol

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  06:18:20  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey they don't even have a good novel dealing with just Dwarves.I don't see one coming in the near future either.So gnomes are definitely out.IMO

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  06:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Hey they don't even have a good novel dealing with just Dwarves.I don't see one coming in the near future either.So gnomes are definitely out.IMO

Dwarves are often played as comic relief figures, too. Many of the Drizzt books feature dwarves, but too many of them are just there to provide slapstick humor. Let's not even go into Cleric Quintet. Or, heck, the LOTR movies. (Gimli, poor Gimli. His characterization in the films makes Baby Aulë cry.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  06:35:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

with brief dialogue?

Only the gnomes; everyone possessed of true Realmslore knows that the hin/halflings "go commando."

TMI!

Steven Schend, master of the Realmslore you didn't really want to know...

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

One of the best halflings of FR lore: Foxilon Cardluck of the Realmsmaster crew (FR Comics 1-24; 1989-1991).

Steven
Who unleashed the Buckleswashers on an unsuspecting Waterdeep in 1993

I liked the Buckleswashers!

You're right, Foxy was a really cool character. I especially liked it when he inflicted his "fashion sense" on Priam Agrivar.

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  06:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you there Rupert in regards to Foxilon and the FR comics.

His was an interesting character who battled and overcame his nasty addiction to cheeeese (whatever that was?). This gave him some depth and credibility as a character.

It was a shame that the comic only went for 25 episodes.

What happened to the crew of the realms master after the comic finished, anyone know?

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  07:58:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I'm with you there Rupert in regards to Foxilon and the FR comics.

His was an interesting character who battled and overcame his nasty addiction to cheeeese (whatever that was?). This gave him some depth and credibility as a character.

It was a shame that the comic only went for 25 episodes.

What happened to the crew of the realms master after the comic finished, anyone know?

There was a couple short stories in Dragon Magazine. 260 and 247, I believe.

And I hate to say it, but as much as I liked the FR comic, I think I liked the AD&D comic more. The fact it was set in Waterdeep helped, and I liked the characters better -- especially Kyriani.

Of course, what really draws vacuum is that they ended all the comics just as they were setting up an interesting storyline in the Spelljammer title.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  15:17:52  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, what really draws vacuum is that they ended all the comics just as they were setting up an interesting storyline in the Spelljammer title.

Really? Didn't know that. How unfair. Thanks for the info WR.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  15:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote][i]Haven't they already started doing that

If they have, tell me what book!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  15:56:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick the Nightblade
If they have, tell me what book!

The Rogue series and The Priest series are both in print.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  16:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh....the rogue series are about theives and that sort...,but I mean assassins!!

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  19:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My short story for Realms of the Dragons 2 features gnomes in non-comic relief roles. Just finished it Saturday night and sent it in to Phil Athans. The anthology will be out May 2005, I believe.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  20:21:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

My short story for Realms of the Dragons 2 features gnomes in non-comic relief roles. Just finished it Saturday night and sent it in to Phil Athans. The anthology will be out May 2005, I believe.

Yes, but are they going to make it through the whole story?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2004 :  23:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but are they going to make it through the whole story?

The story is centered around a village of gnomes in the Sword Mountains, so yes, there are gnomes through the entire story.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  04:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STAN! wrote a short story in one of the Realms anthologies that features a gnome detective that speaks only in rhyme.

I'm surprised I didn't see Regis or Belwar mentioned.

It seems that halflings and gnomes aren't "world-shapers" like elves, dwarves, humans, and even orcs, are. Halflings are traditionally "homey" and "hobbit-ish." Of course, the 3E halfling tries to squash this stereotype. It fails in my eyes. I can't stand the skinny halfling. The gnome seems to be portrayed as a tinkerer or collector in FR and DL. Neither race seem fit to act as the archetypal hero featured in an FR novel, or anywhere else, so they're secondary characters at best.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  18:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halflings and gnomes just don't appeal to Western culture's disfunctional youth- and glamour-obsession, and the sort of readers who like 'identifying' with beautiful elves. And Realms books have to appeal to as many people as possible.
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
Gnomes have no history, and the only personality is from Dragonlance
No way. The personalities of World of Greyhawk gnomes and of Forgotten Realms gnomes are perfectly clear -- they just aren't gimmicks ('funny', 'mad professors', etc.).

Good choice Kameron.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  18:52:29  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This taken from page 9 of The Fall of Myth Drannor by Steven E. Schend:

quote:
The gnomes and halflings, while rarely respected greatly by any of the other races of Myth Drannor, proved the greatest of Myth Drannor’s defenders. Cannily and strategically placed illusions and savagely accurate hit-and-run missile sorties from halflings under cover cost the Army of Darkness more patrols and scouts than any other deterrent. After the first year of the Weeping War, the elves and dwarves and humans gained new respect for their shorter allies, who were nonchalant about their accomplishments and the accolades that followed: “All we do is defend our homes…what’s so astounding about that?” The gnomes’ matter-of-fact nature and the halflings’ willingness to share shamed some elves and their condescending outlooks, though not on purpose.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  18:54:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I've written two short stories (the same event told through very different perspectives) in which gnomes played an important part: "Speaking With the Dead" from the FR anthology Realms of Mystery, and "Stolen Dream," from DRAGON magazine #259. They ghomes depicted therein are most definitely not comic relief, nor do they create mechanical items, raise giant space hamsters, wear red hats, or hang out in front yards next to the pink flamingos.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  18:59:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

Of course, the 3E halfling tries to squash this stereotype.

I see it more as a stereotype transferal, moving halflings from Tolkien to Dragonlance. It's only a matter of time before someone gives one of these Kate Moss halflings a topknot and a cheerful, larcenous personality. I'm stockpiling canned goods against this day, as I consider it a harbinger of the Four Horses of the Apocolypse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000