Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why is it
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  20:05:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

For what it's worth, I've written two short stories (the same event told through very different perspectives) in which gnomes played an important part: "Speaking With the Dead" from the FR anthology Realms of Mystery, and "Stolen Dream," from DRAGON magazine #259. They ghomes depicted therein are most definitely not comic relief, nor do they create mechanical items, raise giant space hamsters, wear red hats, or hang out in front yards next to the pink flamingos.

And of course *I* think there should have been a Giant Space Hamster or two in those tales.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  23:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Crust

Of course, the 3E halfling tries to squash this stereotype.

I see it more as a stereotype transferal, moving halflings from Tolkien to Dragonlance. It's only a matter of time before someone gives one of these Kate Moss halflings a topknot and a cheerful, larcenous personality. I'm stockpiling canned goods against this day, as I consider it a harbinger of the Four Horses of the Apocolypse.

Now that is a theory I didn't explore.

And all this time I was trying to forget kender.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  11:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think a book about gnomes and halflings would, by definition, be a short book.

*starts ducking the incoming projectiles*

Actually if someone were to write a story about gnomes it'd be about the size of encyclopeadia Brittanica vols 1-12. Two thirds of the text would be filled with gnomes introducing their names.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  05:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe FR gnomes have crazily elongated names the way DL gnomes do.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  08:02:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Yeah, that concept was limited to the tinker gnomes of Krynn. Thankfully, that bunch remains either stuck on Krynn or happily wandering around in space. While it is possible for a tinker gnome to wind up in the Realms (after all, a kender did), that's not something most of us want to see.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  16:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Yeah, that concept was limited to the tinker gnomes of Krynn. Thankfully, that bunch remains either stuck on Krynn or happily wandering around in space. While it is possible for a tinker gnome to wind up in the Realms (after all, a kender did), that's not something most of us want to see.

No, and I'd be very surprised if many people wanted to see halflings head more in the direction of kender as EC mentioned. I also had not thought of this, but I don't like it. Kender and tinker gnomes are fine - in Dragonlance. They help define it and make it different but I don't want to see them in the Realms.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000