Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 An idea for advancing the realms timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  07:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, don't we first need to set the parameters/guideline of the project? Are we submitting the events on a month by month basis every month or bi-monthly (i.e one FR month due every two months) or some other ratio? If we start late in 1372 we might well be jumping the gun on 1373 events if the progression/publishing rate is too quick.

From my own perspective I would think it would make more sense to simply start at month one of 1372 and work (slowly) from there.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 31 May 2004 07:48:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  07:54:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've started collecting together some notes for my areas of consideration and I am looking at having the details evolve over a monthly basis. So, I would say a month-by-month progression would seem to be the best option. Plus it allows all the scribes involved with this project a fair amount of time to properly work on their submissions.

I don't particularly like the idea of starting at "month one of 1372 DR" like you said Chyron, mainly because most of us are already aware of what has occured during this time already. Perhaps before the actual new "Recent News" articles are presented, a brief summary of recent Realms events up to and including the project start date, would be the best idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:30:14  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit that my offer of participation is not without a dose of self-interest in the matter. The Twilight Dawn game is currently still in 1371, but steadily moving towards 1372 and for me every month of that year would be interesting enough to have some rumors on.

An idea might be to poll the forum on which year/month people are most likely to start their adventures/games. Of course over time these 'preferred start dates' will change as WotC will publish more material further down the timeline - but one has to start somewhere.

If the year 1372 is chosen as the base year, the most useful option would be to build up the 'Current Clack' from the first month onward. Even though some of the things might already be known from published material, that data covers only limited regions and lot's of more can be added for Faerūn as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:36:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An intriguing idea Mumadar, and something that is definitely worth considering...

From my own perspective, I can understand the use for such a format. But I have yet to start a campaign in the post 1370 DR era. Every FR game I run has just naturally progressed from alternate starting years in the past. My most recent start date was 1365 DR...

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:45:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Anyone got any ideas re a delivery system? Do I (we) just post a topic called "Current Clack: X"?

-- George Krashos

A good question George. Arivia, Dargoth...do you have any thoughts on this? Perhaps each scribe should just have their own personal scroll...

While the discussion on the topic between the scribes probably warrants a (limited access?) forum, I would suggest the 'final' product to be put on the Candlekeep website where it'll come better to its right as compared to it being available on the forum...

As for a form, there are several examples in published Realsmlore on the Current Clack sections, I'd suggest that format to be followed initially.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  09:03:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another interesting idea...

I guess the real question is now, should we use the 2e FR "Current Clack" format, or the style now used in the several FR tomes which contain such information?

I think that in order to establish a certain level of legitimacy with this project, we should use the 3e format.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:05:06  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to reiterate a question lost in the pages of this thread:

Do we submit our initial ideas on this thread? Or elsewhere? And if elsewhere... where? () (i.e. by e-mail to Dargoth or Sage, or sent in to Alaundo or Tethtoril?)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:47:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't think we should be sending our initial ideas for this project into Alaundo or Tethtoril, until they are complete. Not only does this tie up most of our Head Scribe's time, but it is also largely irrelevant since the finished product will need to be submitted later.

I believe it would be best to simply post your own initial ideas here, and then determine which other scribes (if any) you will need to work with in order to keep the details consistent.

How's that?

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  14:29:42  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage. That's all I needed to know.

*Busies self with scrolls pertaining to dragons of Faerūn, events in the Underdark, Great Dale and seas of Faerūn, and with character concept for duergar conjuerer.*

What? Oh. No exams for a week, so I'm going FR crazy for a day.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  17:43:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My proposal for what to do with the updates, as they are created:

First, share them with the people covering the neighboring regions, to make sure no toes are being stepped on.

Second, share them with someone who is up enough on the lore for that region to make sure there's no mistakes.

Third, past the lore onto a final person, who cleans up the grammar and spelling, and then posts -- in semi-regular updates -- all the stuff to a new thread, created expessly for that purpose.

I volunteer for the last step. I'm good on Realmslore, but I know there are others who are better. But I am really good on editing stuff, and cleaning it up to be all nice and pretty.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  20:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really don't think we should be sending our initial ideas for this project into Alaundo or Tethtoril, until they are complete. Not only does this tie up most of our Head Scribe's time, but it is also largely irrelevant since the finished product will need to be submitted later.

I believe it would be best to simply post your own initial ideas here, and then determine which other scribes (if any) you will need to work with in order to keep the details consistent.

How's that?

Well met

Indeed, Sage. Thank ye. We will certainly make a place of honor within Candlekeep for a project such as this. Nominating a "project co-ordinator" is the best option by far. This person would be responsible for collating and editing the articles of lore and be my point of contact for sending in the project and any updates. It makes managing the library and such much easier and streamlined

I certainly look forward to such as this. History, timelines and geography are my favorite subjects of the Realms

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  22:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An intriguing idea Mumadar, and something that is definitely worth considering...

From my own perspective, I can understand the use for such a format. But I have yet to start a campaign in the post 1370 DR era. Every FR game I run has just naturally progressed from alternate starting years in the past. My most recent start date was 1365 DR...

Ditto. Mine most recent campaign started in DR 1360, although I'm more than amenable to starting in DR 1372, say Kythorn or so. It would give me a year's leeway to keep the "official" events of the Realms in mind, while still allowing me to come up with some plot hooks that will come to fruition in a year's time or so. Most of the stuff I come up with won't have any immediate applicability for my current campaign, and may not even pan out the way I write it (once the group gets to the present time), but I'm sure some of it will still be applicable.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  22:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My proposal for what to do with the updates, as they are created:

First, share them with the people covering the neighboring regions, to make sure no toes are being stepped on.

Second, share them with someone who is up enough on the lore for that region to make sure there's no mistakes.

Third, past the lore onto a final person, who cleans up the grammar and spelling, and then posts -- in semi-regular updates -- all the stuff to a new thread, created expessly for that purpose.

I volunteer for the last step. I'm good on Realmslore, but I know there are others who are better. But I am really good on editing stuff, and cleaning it up to be all nice and pretty.

This sounds good to me. I will especially need a loremaster to double check my region, since I don't have many of the third edition updates to the Realms (even though Damara and Vaasa really haven't been updated very much in the past 15 years...)

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  12:53:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've been wanting to change one of my areas of attention... I was set originally to be working on the Dalelands, but I've recently come across some of my old notes that I had on the Dragon Coast region. I have some interesting ideas for expanding this material, so would it cause anyone much conflict if I instead developed "Current Clack" for the Dragon Coast instead?

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  13:36:19  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about doing both, Sage?

I'm doing three (including two overly-large ) areas. But more to the point, I think the Dalelands would be best served by someone as knowledgeable as you, it being so throughly detailed.

But then, you might not want to take on two projects - I'm worrying about how best to commit to the seas and to the Underdark.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  13:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

I'm doing three (including two overly-large ) areas. But more to the point, I think the Dalelands would be best served by someone as knowledgeable as you, it being so throughly detailed.

But then, you might not want to take on two projects - I'm worrying about how best to commit to the seas and to the Underdark.

You'll be fine-I have half of Faerun to cover!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  14:08:43  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

You'll be fine-I have half of Faerun to cover!

I'd forgotten about your workload! Seems the Underdark is going to be a tiny bit neglected!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  15:12:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I may well decide upon that. The reason I thought about "dropping" the Dalelands was simply because I did not want to stretch my efforts too thinly across working on both the Dragon Coast, and the Planes.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  17:21:31  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Knocks fist on head like sieve!*

Yes, I'd forgotten about you doing the planes too, Sage. That is a big task. It is of course up to you, but I do think you're the best man for the Dalelands job.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  22:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I may well decide upon that. The reason I thought about "dropping" the Dalelands was simply because I did not want to stretch my efforts too thinly across working on both the Dragon Coast, and the Planes.

You do have help-I'm just buried until the 22nd or so...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  09:57:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite alright Arivia. The ideas that you and I were talking about a short while back have been put on the shelf until you're ready to work on them again. I've decided to focus on some of the other planes that I mentioned to you from that same discussion I mentioned above.

I'll keep you posted, most likely by ethereal mail...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  12:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's quite alright Arivia. The ideas that you and I were talking about a short while back have been put on the shelf until you're ready to work on them again. I've decided to focus on some of the other planes that I mentioned to you from that same discussion I mentioned above.

I'll keep you posted, most likely by ethereal mail...

So should I begin developing the other planes I showed an interest in?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  13:08:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that would probably be a good idea. As I remember, we'd decided that the other planes were going to be individual efforts, rather than collaborative...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  14:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, that would probably be a good idea. As I remember, we'd decided that the other planes were going to be individual efforts, rather than collaborative...

Ah, okay. We will get back to doing that one together one of these days. Once I dig myself out of this hole. I will. I will. I will-I hope. *weeps*
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  19:29:57  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this secretive talk of 'that plane I mentioned' and 'those planes we talked about' and 'developing' them. Are you sure you two arn't from the secret service, transmitting coded messages on this site? Al and Teth wouldn't be pleased!

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  23:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

All this secretive talk of 'that plane I mentioned' and 'those planes we talked about' and 'developing' them. Are you sure you two arn't from the secret service, transmitting coded messages on this site? Al and Teth wouldn't be pleased!

*puts cell phone with a pyramid on the back under coat* What? No. Not at all.

On another, more relevant topic, I am so tempted to throw canon to the wings(3e canon, don't kill me yet!) on Dweomerheart. I did some nice, interesting work-and then actually get to read the entry again, which neutralizes half of what I was thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  04:49:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're willing Arivia, I'll take a look and what you have on Dweomerheat. Perhaps there might be a way that we can salvage some of these details using the material that I have access to...?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  05:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you're willing Arivia, I'll take a look and what you have on Dweomerheat. Perhaps there might be a way that we can salvage some of these details using the material that I have access to...?

No, no-I'll work something out. I'm beginning to miss the "City of the Eternal Magefair" already, however...maybe I will write this up, and present it as an alternative here...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  05:15:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An alternative...? So, are we going to allow alternative takes on ideas as well as canon elements then?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2004 :  05:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

An alternative...? So, are we going to allow alternative takes on ideas as well as canon elements then?

No, I don't believe we should, in general-but in our undeveloped area, that may not be a bad thing. No, what I originally meant was that I may develop my original idea further(which would now include changes to some deities' homes, like Azuth's Azuth., and petitioners, as these exist within Dweomerheart) and present it as a separate article here.

Edited by - Arivia on 05 Jun 2004 05:29:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000