Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  20:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sages of Candlekeep, I need your help. To research my short story for the upcoming Realms of the Dragons 2 anthology, I need to know of any source material, most likely 2E, that covers the Arcane Brotherhood--specifically, the Archmage Arcane Arklem Greeth--during the last 5 years of FR time. I have the 2E FR campaign setting, but does anyone know of any other products that may deal with Luskan or the Brotherhood? Thanks.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  21:12:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

Sages of Candlekeep, I need your help. To research my short story for the upcoming Realms of the Dragons 2 anthology, I need to know of any source material, most likely 2E, that covers the Arcane Brotherhood--specifically, the Archmage Arcane Arklem Greeth--during the last 5 years of FR time. I have the 2E FR campaign setting, but does anyone know of any other products that may deal with Luskan or the Brotherhood? Thanks.

The North boxed set has information on the organization and can be found at WOTC's download page. Volo's Guide to the North is also a 2e source that has information and is if I recall also avaible from the WOTC download page. No idea on if either has Greeth information. I'd have to check.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  21:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just heard back from Phil Athans and he mentioned the Volo's Guide had about 4 pages on the Brotherhood, but no specific mention on Greeth. I'll check those out, thanks.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  21:42:37  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a quick search on Yahoo for Greeth, and from what I found (read: very little) I believe that Greeth was featured in the Neverwinter Nights computer game. I don't have the game, though, so I can't verify anything. Sorry if that is more unhelpful than helpful.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  21:56:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just heard back from Phil Athans and he mentioned the Volo's Guide had about 4 pages on the Brotherhood, but no specific mention on Greeth. I'll check those out, thanks.

From a quick flip through of the two sources I mentioned, I didn't see his name listed in Volo's Guide. However, he's listed on page 74, bottom of first column and portion of second column, in the Wilderness Book for the North Boxed Set.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  22:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

I did a quick search on Yahoo for Greeth, and from what I found (read: very little) I believe that Greeth was featured in the Neverwinter Nights computer game. I don't have the game, though, so I can't verify anything. Sorry if that is more unhelpful than helpful.

There was a "chapter" in NWN that centered on Luskan, and you actually fought your way through the Brotherhood's Tower (its proper name escapes me). However, I don't remember specifically encountering Greeth. Perhaps he is just mentioned in some dialogue or one of the many "books" that were placed around each area.

Thanks again for the heads up, Sirius. I'll be sure to download that PDF when I get home tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  22:32:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked in Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness? I'm at work now, so I can't check, but I'm sure that at least one of those two mentions the Brotherhood.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  23:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kameron, you're going to need to ask Phil for a ruling on this: How the Hosttower was reclaimed. He is still the leader of the Arcane Brotherhood. He is now a lich. However, NWN and Lords of Darkness disagree on what happened. In NWN, the PC venturing through the Hosttower destroys Arklem's foes for him, including Maugrim. Lords of Darkness states that he did it himself,and only makes note of Eldeluc and Valkebar, with no note of Maugrim.

As to why you don't remember him-His name as listed within NWN is Arklem, without Greeth.

The relevant pieces to the above can be found on pages 109-111 of Lords of Darkness. To find this information in NWN, open the folder you installed NWN to(typically C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN). Copy the Chapter2E.nvm file from the nwm folder within to the modules folder, and rename it to Chapter2E.mod. You will now be able to open it inside the toolset. Arklem is in the Host Tower-Level 9 area. His attached conversation file(2q6d_arklem) may be of interest.

There are references to him in Savage Frontier, the North, and the Villains' Lorebook.

Edited by - Arivia on 09 Jun 2004 23:51:55
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the 3E Lords of Darkness supplement. AFAIK, NWN is not FR canon. Thanks for the bit on the conversation file, though. I did get some unpublished material from Eric Boyd that tries to reconcile some descrepancies between 2E & 3E concerning leadership of the Brotherhood, however.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have the 3E Lords of Darkness supplement. AFAIK, NWN is not FR canon. Thanks for the bit on the conversation file, though. I did get some unpublished material from Eric Boyd that tries to reconcile some descrepancies between 2E & 3E concerning leadership of the Brotherhood, however.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

No problem-I was surprised to find that he was a lich in canon, also.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:30:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks again for the heads up, Sirius. I'll be sure to download that PDF when I get home tonight.

You're welcome. Make sure you get the spelling right on Sirius for the dedication part of your next novel.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:31:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Have you looked in Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness? I'm at work now, so I can't check, but I'm sure that at least one of those two mentions the Brotherhood.

I know they were in LoD, but don't recall seeing the organization in C&D.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

No problem-I was surprised to find that he was a lich in canon, also.

Yeah, courtesy of his new demon ally. I'll actually be setting the story prior to his achieving lichdom (thus my need for earlier info) so that I can use his quest for immortality to bring the Brotherhood into conflict with a certain gold dragon of the North who has used magic in a unique way to prolong his life.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

You're welcome. Make sure you get the spelling right on Sirius for the dedication part of your next novel.

If I get space for a dedication in RotD2, I'll be sure to thank all the scribes and sages of Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  02:03:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If I get space for a dedication in RotD2, I'll be sure to thank all the scribes and sages of Candlekeep.

Be sure to pass along our demand request to Mr. Athans.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  04:31:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kameron.

If you go here:

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/history.html

You'll find a timeline of the North which deals with all aspects of Luskan including the formation of the Arcane Brotherhood and an attempt to reconcile the information in Volo's Guide to the North (pgs.121-125) and Lords of Darkness (3E) (pgs.108-116).

Also look at the North boxed set (2E) (Wilderness booklet, p.66) and FR5 The Savage Frontier (1E) (pgs.30-31 & 57 - latter page has a 1E NPC write-up of him).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  17:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George. Eric actually sent me a zip file with most of the information from his website.

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 10 Jun 2004 17:02:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000