Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 An idea for advancing the realms timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just thought of a great way to advance realm timeline on a more regular basis.

Back in the days of the 1ed Grey boxset there was a section called "Recent News and Rumours section".

Which covered a month by month write up of what was going on in the realms.

Now what I was thinking is that the Realms time seems to advance at half the Speed of the real world. So say every 2 months WOTC posts an article for one month of realms time ie you'd we'd get 6 realms months a year. The articles themselves would get larger and larger as WOTC released more regional source books. ie There would be no news for a region that hasnt recieved a write up yet

Assuming the article was running today there would be news for the Silver Marches, Unapproachable east and the Underdark, when Serpent Kingdoms comes out we would start seeing articles on the region covered in that book, When Shinning South comes out in October we'd start seeing news for that region.

What do you think?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:43:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
What do you think?

I'd love to see something like you suggested. However, your proposal has no mention of Prestige Classes, Feats, or Eberron.

Therefore, there is no way it will ever happen.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
What do you think?

I'd love to see something like you suggested. However, your proposal has no mention of Prestige Classes, Feats, or Eberron.

Therefore, there is no way it will ever happen.

None of the FR web articles have Prestiage class, feats or Eberron

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:53:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
None of the FR web articles have Prestiage class, feats or Eberron

You honestly think your idea will fly as a WOTC web article?

Okay, good luck to you. I truly hope it comes to light. I'd happily read it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  05:55:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just thought of a great way to advance realm timeline on a more regular basis.

Back in the days of the 1ed Grey boxset there was a section called "Recent News and Rumours section".

Which covered a month by month write up of what was going on in the realms.

Now what I was thinking is that the Realms time seems to advance at half the Speed of the real world. So say every 2 months WOTC posts an article for one month of realms time ie you'd we'd get 6 realms months a year. The articles themselves would get larger and larger as WOTC released more regional source books. ie There would be no news for a region that hasnt recieved a write up yet

Assuming the article was running today there would be news for the Silver Marches, Unapproachable east and the Underdark, when Serpent Kingdoms comes out we would start seeing articles on the region covered in that book, When Shinning South comes out in October we'd start seeing news for that region.

What do you think?

While your idea has some merit Dargoth, and it would be something that I would truly enjoy seeing (being a big fan of the old "Recent News and Rumours section" myself), I just can't see it happening...at least in the immediate post-Eberron release environment. WotC have talked about the possibility for a majority of their web-based articles to focus on Eberron for the time being, so they're unlikely to undertake anything else which will detract resources away from that.

On the plus side, it's not really preventing us from extrapolating certains Realmsian trends and trying to create our own "News and Rumors section" here at Candlekeep. Granted it will be fan-based, but there is already so much fan-based material supporting the Realms now, one more addition is unlikely to affect the core setting in any kind of way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:49:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see that, too. Back in the good ol' days (), whenever I got a new FR product, one of the first sections I checked out was always the Current News & Rumors section. I so miss that...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:55:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the second revised FR boxed set was released, I could often be found carrying around a copy of the Running the Realms tome. You know, the one that details the (then) game time year of 1367 DR. The (then) current News & Rumors section was filled with my extra notes and campaign tidbits that I had collected while campaigning in the Realms during that year...

Ahh, memories...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  14:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd help. Maybe the scribes of Candlekeep should concentrate their efforts on two or three monolithic projects together, and do smaller tasks themselves. This being a good example of a monolithic project, and the epic adventure being another...I have another idea(a monolithic conversion project) but I'll try avoiding going too off-topic...
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  15:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that this is a great idea for the scribes at Candlekeep to amass and release periodically. With the combined number of campaigns that are being run by the membership at the keep, we should be able to cover a pretty wide swath of the realms.

I'd certainly volunteer to take Damara/Vaasa/Narfell...

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  15:25:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brother Ezra has presented an interesting addition to this idea. What about we assign certain areas to certain scribes...?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  15:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Brother Ezra has presented an interesting addition to this idea. What about we assign certain areas to certain scribes...?

Not a bad idea. I'd be willing to cover any of the following: The Silver Marches/Savage Frontier, beyond and including the Spine of the World, Anauroch(including Shade), anything east of the Sea of Fallen Stars and north of Chessenta, out to the edge of Kara-Tur. I could also cover events on the new tree cosmology and non-drow Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:26:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as covering certain events involving the cosmology, I could concentrate on the Dalelands, the greater Moonsea region, and the Border Kingdoms.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we have most of the north and east blocked off...I'd suggest we leave areas untouched for now that are seeing products this year, which means that most of the South and the Chultan peninsula, in addition to the High Forest, should be left alone...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:51:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, well then I may leave the Border Kingdoms for now. Are they detailed to any degree in the new Shining South tome?

If not, I'll reconsider it, but for the time being my focus will be the Dalelands and Moonsea region...and if no one else is interested, maybe Sembia. But that depends on whether I'll be working on the Border Kingdoms...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  16:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure-I believe Thomas Reid said they were, briefly, if I remember correctly...
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  18:49:20  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in this: both reading and contributing.

I could do the Underdark, or the Realms' seas, and would love to do the Great Dale, but in general I don't have enough 2e products to do human Realms areas.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  20:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am concerned, the most disappointing release in FR history was the 3.5 Faerun Players Handbook. After the incredible work in the 3.0 Faerun book, it seemed like WOTC didn't even want to try to update things in the slightest. I think that there were only about a dozen or so "current events" that it made mention of...a huge disappointment...

Worse, those few updates came STRAIGHT out of FR novels, and having read all of those particular novels, and having little interest in the expanded feats and such, I had no desire to purchase the book. In other words, I was content to keep my 3.0 Faerun text and my knowledge of FR lore.

For what it's worth, an update like what has been suggested by good Dargoth would go FAR to keep my interest in purchasing new information about Toril...especially after the 3.5 Faerunian Fiasco as I've come to call it...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 22 May 2004 20:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  22:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

As far as I am concerned, the most disappointing release in FR history was the 3.5 Faerun Players Handbook. After the incredible work in the 3.0 Faerun book, it seemed like WOTC didn't even want to try to update things in the slightest. I think that there were only about a dozen or so "current events" that it made mention of...a huge disappointment...

Worse, those few updates came STRAIGHT out of FR novels, and having read all of those particular novels, and having little interest in the expanded feats and such, I had no desire to purchase the book. In other words, I was content to keep my 3.0 Faerun text and my knowledge of FR lore.

For what it's worth, an update like what has been suggested by good Dargoth would go FAR to keep my interest in purchasing new information about Toril...especially after the 3.5 Faerunian Fiasco as I've come to call it...

This is the precise reason I chose not to buy the Player's Guide to Faerun as well. What interests me the most about a new FR release is the development of the timeline, and the details about new areas that haven't been examined yet. This is what I loved so much about the 2nd edition regional supplements, and I sorely miss them. UE and hopefully Shining South have filled the void somewhat, but I was really disappointed in the 4 or so pages of local news that the PGtF contained.
I think that this idea has the potential to be pretty neat. A lot of creative people post on this site, and almost all seem to miss the lore that 3.X FR seems to lack. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to contribute.

Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  22:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One other thing.

I think that our first rule of thumb in generating these updates should be:

No Realms-shattering events!

Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  03:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to help as well if my novice scribing abilities would be accepted.

If no one has already spoken for it my main area of interest is on the areas west of the Sunset Mountains South of Boarskyr and east of Woods of Sharp Teeth (Darkhold, Hluthvar Asbravn, etc).

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  03:04:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra

One other thing.

Define a Realms shattering event? and I dont mean give an example what is and is not a RSE

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  03:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I suggest we start by giving 1 region to each interested scribe (using the map on page 7 of the Players guide to Faerun)more region can be handed out if we dont have enough scribes to cover all the regions.

I also suggest we dont hand out regions for areas that have announced source book ie Serpent Kingdoms, Shinning south and Waterdeep

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  06:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra

One other thing.

Define a Realms shattering event? and I dont mean give an example what is and is not a RSE

Well, I was thinking along the lines of the time of troubles, but I could expand this a little:
1. No events that cause changes to the FR pantheon
2. No events that cause major changes in geography
3. No events that would cause a major shift in power structure over multiple regions (a la destruction of Zhentil Keep)

Just some thoughts on the subject. Feel free to object or modify according to your tastes. I would just hate to se the Second Dawn Cataclysm, a Rage of Dragons, the return of the Creator Races and the invasion by the drow of the surface world all occur in a space of six months

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  06:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well your already getting 1 out of 4 but you'll have to blame RLB for that!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 23 May 2004 06:19:56
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:19:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take Impiltur and the area I call The Dragonshoulder (Procampur and Tsurlagol) if that's okay. As for RSEs, well I've had some ideas re Impiltur's monarchy for a while (aided and abetted by Eric Boyd's masterful scholarship), so I'll try and behave.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll take Impiltur and the area I call The Dragonshoulder (Procampur and Tsurlagol) if that's okay. As for RSEs, well I've had some ideas re Impiltur's monarchy for a while (aided and abetted by Eric Boyd's masterful scholarship), so I'll try and behave.

-- George Krashos

I was thinking you might be looking for at Impiltur, George...We'll have to work out how our different parts will interact, so if I set something off in Thesk, what might that do to Sarelle's The Great Dale and Brother Ezra's Narfell...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:49:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good realmslore is coherent, interconnected realmslore. So I'm happy to be careful not to tread on any Theskian or Great Daler toes. As for Narfell, those horse-smelling savages can look after themselves!

Initially however, I'll concentrate on 'internal' stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I was thinking you might be looking for at Impiltur, George...We'll have to work out how our different parts will interact, so if I set something off in Thesk, what might that do to Sarelle's The Great Dale and Brother Ezra's Narfell...

Best way would be for person to consult with the person who owns the other region if you want to use a plot that spans or will effect multiple regions

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. Dargoth, is there anything you were looking at covering?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  10:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id be interested in the Moonsea or maybe Unther

Regarding GeorgeK and the other published guys like SteveS and Eric Boyd who contribute to the board, Id give them first option on regions for example if Eric wanted to do something with Ched Nesad or if Steve wanted to do something with one of the Aquatic regions etc Id be quite happy for them to do it.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  10:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Id be interested in the Moonsea or maybe Unther

Regarding the Moonsea, you'll have to talk to the Sage...Unther's fine, however-especially if you can cover some more of the areas around there...

quote:

Regarding GeorgeK and the other published guys like SteveS and Eric Boyd who contribute to the board, Id give them first option on regions for example if Eric wanted to do something with Ched Nesad or if Steve wanted to do something with one of the Aquatic regions etc Id be quite happy for them to do it.

I agree...although I can't see what Eric would do with Ched Nasad without killing (George) Krashos off...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000