Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 An idea for advancing the realms timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  10:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did George do to poor Eric?

The other big issue will be, do we include events in the novels or not?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  10:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I'd say yes-we do wish to remain vaguely canon, after all...and it isn't the last big issue...we haven't even touched formatting...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  11:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I'd say yes-we do wish to remain vaguely canon, after all...and it isn't the last big issue...we haven't even touched formatting...

I suggest we do it like his

Using Richard Lee Byers Rage as an Example (Which is spred out over 4 months)

You dont tell the plot of the story you report its effects for example.

The person writing for the Vast would write "Dragons have been attacking Towns and City throughout The Vast in recent weeks, rumour has it that the Town of Ylraphon near the Flooded forest has either been totally destroyed or heavily damaged by a Fligh of dragons that came out of the Flooded forest. It is also said that a group of Dragon slayers who where passing through Ylraphon where able to hold off the Dragons long enough for at least some of Ylrapho' citizens to escape."

The person writing for the Moonsea would write "A squadron of Zhentraim ships and a company of Soldiers have been destroyed by a group of Adventurers and at least one Dragon in the village of Elmwood"

They could also write about a strange Dragons body washing up on a beach some where in the Moonsea etc

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  14:57:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Brother Ezra has presented an interesting addition to this idea. What about we assign certain areas to certain scribes...?

I suggest we start by giving 1 region to each interested scribe (using the map on page 7 of the Players guide to Faerun)more region can be handed out if we dont have enough scribes to cover all the regions.

I also suggest we dont hand out regions for areas that have announced source book ie Serpent Kingdoms, Shinning south and Waterdeep

Well, it's your idea so it's only fair that you select the criteria.

If you're interested in covering the Moonsea Dargoth, then I'll go with my original choice and select the Dalelands. Since the two regions exist side by side, collaboration on details will be a MUST!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  19:01:42  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that whilst we should most of all focus on smaller, internal affairs of the region - say, an assassination of a mayor etc. - if we want to do something bigger or something specifically involving a neighbour, that should be okay, as long as we really do collaborate. We should be prepared to make concessions for one persons idea - whilst keeping in mind to really stick to your own region.

And I think that if any of the designers or authors wish to contribute or modify in any way, we should be happy to allow them (although we can object of they decide to destroy our region!)

Just my thoughts (oh and I'm very happy to be neighboring Arivia, Brother Ezra and George Krashos!)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  19:57:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... I've not volunteered for any specific region for a couple of reasons. The areas I'm most interested in have either been covered recently (The Silver Marches) or will be covered soon enough (Waterdeep). Plus, I've not got any real ideas, at the moment...

But I am interested in this project. So I decided to go thru this thread, and get all the pertinent stuff collected into one post -- that makes it easier to see where to go from here.

I did a lot of cutting and pasting, rather than direct quotes. So all credit still goes to the people that made the original statements.

Suggested parameters:

1. No events that cause changes to the FR pantheon
2. No events that cause major changes in geography
3. No events that would cause a major shift in power structure over multiple regions (a la destruction of Zhentil Keep)

Using Richard Lee Byers Rage as an Example (Which is spred out over 4 months)

You dont tell the plot of the story you report its effects for example.

The person writing for the Vast would write "Dragons have been attacking Towns and City throughout The Vast in recent weeks, rumour has it that the Town of Ylraphon near the Flooded forest has either been totally destroyed or heavily damaged by a Fligh of dragons that came out of the Flooded forest. It is also said that a group of Dragon slayers who where passing through Ylraphon where able to hold off the Dragons long enough for at least some of Ylrapho' citizens to escape."

The person writing for the Moonsea would write "A squadron of Zhentraim ships and a company of Soldiers have been destroyed by a group of Adventurers and at least one Dragon in the village of Elmwood"

They could also write about a strange Dragons body washing up on a beach some where in the Moonsea etc

Participants and regions selected:

Brother Ezra - Damara/Vaasa/Narfell

Arivia - The Silver Marches/Savage Frontier, beyond and including the Spine of the World, Anauroch(including Shade), anything east of the Sea of Fallen Stars and north of Chessenta, out to the edge of Kara-Tur. I could also cover events on the new tree cosmology and non-drow Underdark.

The Sage - Dalelands and Moonsea region...and if no one else is interested, maybe Sembia. But that depends on whether I'll be working on the Border Kingdoms...

Sarelle - I could do the Underdark, or the Realms' seas, and would love to do the Great Dale, but in general I don't have enough 2e products to do human Realms areas.

Chyron - the areas west of the Sunset Mountains South of Boarskyr and east of Woods of Sharp Teeth (Darkhold, Hluthvar Asbravn, etc).

George Krashos - I'll take Impiltur and the area I call The Dragonshoulder (Procampur and Tsurlagol) if that's okay.

Dargoth - Id be interested in the Moonsea or maybe Unther

Okay, so there's what we're looking at, thus far. Feel free to comment further, to narrow down areas of focus or add more participants, etc.

Oh, and when this project gets formally started (actual Plots & Rumors being posted), might I suggest a new thread for it? That'll make it easier for others to follow it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  20:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few thoughts on how to get started:
1. Pick a mutual starting date, e.g. 1st day of Kythorn, DR 1373.
2. Agree upon the materials to be used as canon for our updates. I agree that novels should be used, but only to describe the effects on the novel events on the region. Anyone covering a region where a novel or series is set should be versed in those novels.
3. For those areas that have not seen any recent updates (say, since the release of the FRCS), a summary history should be prepared that brings the region into the present date.
4. Agree on a standardized format and period for the regional updates.

What're everyone's thoughts?

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred

Edited by - Brother Ezra on 25 May 2004 13:51:15
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  01:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[brWell, it's your idea so it's only fair that you select the criteria.

If you're interested in covering the Moonsea Dargoth, then I'll go with my original choice and select the Dalelands. Since the two regions exist side by side, collaboration on details will be a MUST!

Thats fine with me

The other thing with the novels series is that most novels cover a 3-4 months of realms time while the novels them selves only come out once a year, so I suggest when the next novel in a series comes out that we go back to the month of the year its set in. ie We update months weve already done as new books come out

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  04:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(A rewrite of Wooly Rupert's post with some alterations noted and a clearer structure.)
Updated version of the coherent list(beginning in the NW of Faerun):

The Spine of the World/Icewind Dale: Arivia
The Silver Marches(does not include the High Forest): Arivia
Anauroch(including Shade):Arivia
The Moonsea(presumably including Thar and the Ride):Dargoth
The Dalelands(including Cormanthor?):The Sage
Vaasa: Brother Ezra
The Vast south of the Earthfast Mountains: George Krashos
Impiltur: George Krashos
Damara: Brother Ezra
Narfell: Brother Ezra
The Great Dale: Sarelle
Thesk: Arivia
Aglarond/Altumbel: Arivia
Thay: Arivia
The Endless Wastes/The Great Ice Sea: Arivia
Unther: Dargoth
Zakhara: Kuje31
Nathlekh: SoulLord
Around the Reaching Woods: Chyron
The Moonshae Islands: Kuje31
The Waters of the Realms: Sarelle
The Planes: The Sage/Arivia

List of Underdark Areas, beginning in the North:
The Buried Realms: Arivia
The Deep Wastes: Arivia
The Earthroot: Arivia
The Darklands: Arivia/Sarelle
The Glimmersea: Sarelle
Shanatar: Sarelle
Between Shanatar and the Northdark: Sarelle

Untouched Areas: The following areas should be left untouched until such time as their corresponding sourcebooks are released: The South, from Chult to Var the Golden, the High Forest, the Northdark, Great Bhaerynden, Waterdeep.

A note from Arivia: I took two large sections of the Realms-the North and the East. If anyone is interested(and willing to do the work) in either one, I'll hand it over.

Topics of discussion:

Format of updates(I'd quite like something that would allow us to use the "uncertain narrator" perspective seen in the assorted Volo's Guides and such.)
Pick what sources should be considered canon.
Choose a starting date.

Guidelines:

Talk to others who are responsible for regions you may affect with your ideas.
If an established designer lays claim to an area of yours, step aside and let them work-respect your elders.
No RSEs(No permanent major alterations to the following: power systems, the deities, and geography.)

Edited by - Arivia on 24 May 2004 22:52:06
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  05:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once this small council of scribes is set, I wonder if we should submit our work amongst each other first (or at least to a group of the senior scribes), before any public release? That way the other scribes may comment on or point out oversights / omissions in events concerning canon material or in spelling and grammar. And this will also give the writer a chance to discuss and or defend the submission against any criticisms that might arise once the submission is released.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  06:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Once this small council of scribes is set, I wonder if we should submit our work amongst each other first (or at least to a group of the senior scribes), before any public release? That way the other scribes may comment on or point out oversights / omissions in events concerning canon material or in spelling and grammar. And this will also give the writer a chance to discuss and or defend the submission against any criticisms that might arise once the submission is released.

Probably a good idea. Now who should be on that list?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  06:39:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wonderfully brilliant and concise rewrite Arivia.... I agree with just about everything that you've just covered.

quote:
The Dalelands(including Cormanthor?):The Sage
I'm willing to expand the region of the Dalelands to include the greater Cormanthor, but I'll probably need to talk with George about this.

quote:
Sage, I'd imagine you're looking forward to detailing the new set of planes like I am-I'd have no problem with working together on that front.
I am indeed, and contact between the two of us will be a must. As a bonus, please take note of my updated MSN-IM address, fully compatible with SageOS ver. 2.1.... I'm sure we'll be having some interesting discussions.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  06:46:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Finally, a task to occupy the Senior Scribes of Candlekeep...

Seriously though, I think we should first decide on how many scribes should be on this oversight panel. Then, once that is decided, those with an interest can put their names forward for selection. Maybe Alaundo could have the final decision...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  06:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A wonderfully brilliant and concise rewrite Arivia.... I agree with just about everything that you've just covered.

Good, I've already raised enough ires today...

quote:
I am indeed, and contact between the two of us will be a must. As a bonus, please take note of my updated MSN-IM address, fully compatible with SageOS ver. 2.1....

Oh, good, just what I needed-another reason to be a permanent insomniac...You're added to my contact list...

quote:

I'm sure we'll be having some interesting discussions.

I'm sure we will-I'll warn you, though-disjointed and babbling are terms that oft describe me...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  06:55:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll help with that one... I'm good on the grammar and spelling side, and I'm pretty up on my Realmslore.

We should get Kuje31 involved, as well. He's one of the most knowledgable ones around, so even if he doesn't contribute, he'd be a good choice for helping stay with canon.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:03:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the motion for Kuje31 to be involved. No committee would be complete without him...

I was being modest earlier, about who to assign to the oversight panel, but since ol' Hammy appears to have thrown his name into the ring, I'd like to do the same. I hearby name myself as a possible inclusion for the oversight panel as well...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:04:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm sure we will-I'll warn you, though-disjointed and babbling are terms that oft describe me...

Don't worry, I've sometimes been accused on the same...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll second the motion for Kuje31 to be involved. No committee would be complete without him...

I was being modest earlier, about who to assign to the oversight panel, but since ol' Hammy appears to have thrown his name into the ring, I'd like to do the same. I hearby name myself as a possible inclusion for the oversight panel as well...

Okay-let's just throw the modest motion out the window-I'll nominate myself. I do suggest we get George or someone on there for older Realmslore knowledge...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:26:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well most of the places I was pondering helping with have been taken or are on the do not touch list. But I've been watching the thread and if some one wants my help just let me know. :)

Also thanks guys for remembering me, was a nice surprise to see when I went back and read the new messages. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 May 2004 07:29:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:27:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that's the case, we should probably find out whether Faraer is interested in helping out with this...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said, you're welcome to grab my chunks of the East or the North if you feel like doing so...And why would we forget a fellow scribe?

Edited by - Arivia on 24 May 2004 07:35:34
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:46:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I said, you're welcome to grab my chunks of the East or the North if you feel like doing so...And why would we forget a fellow scribe?

Problem is I usually don't DM or even really pay much attention to the northern or the eastern part of Toril. But thinking about this a bit, I could snag the Moonshae's and maybe Zakhara. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 24 May 2004 07:46:57
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Problem is I usually don't DM or even really pay much attention to the northern or the eastern part of Toril. But thinking about this a bit, I could snag the Moonshae's and maybe Zakhara. :)

Go ahead-the central and western parts of Faerun also need coverage.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:50:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be best to focus on the Moonshaes. Zakhara has seen little detailing since the latter days of 2e. Although, now that I think about it, maybe that's a good thing...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  08:12:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it would be best to focus on the Moonshaes. Zakhara has seen little detailing since the latter days of 2e. Although, now that I think about it, maybe that's a good thing...

Well that was WHY I mentioned Zakhara because as far as we know still WOTC has no plans to touch those areas, even though some of us desperately want updates on them.......

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  08:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way we might want to restrict Cormyr unless the person has Elminsters daughter, aparently its set there

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  08:19:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with that. It's part of the reason why I started my 'Kara-Tur 3e' project late last year...

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  11:07:22  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia:

Shall we split the Underdark by regions? I agree about leaving the Northdark - that is in high demand by writers and player campaigns.

I can't do the Deep Wastes effectively as I don't have CotSQ and the you should definitely do the Buried Realms, to tie in with Anauroch. I am most interested in the the unnamed area between Deep Shanatar and the Northdark, which I have detailed in my own campaigns before. Out of the other regions I would most like Deep Shanatar and the Earthroot, however it is ultimately up to you as you bagged the Underdark first!

General:

This is shaping up nicely!

Just to ask - will we submit our work in this forum for the 'board' to see, or by e-mail or something else?

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 24 May 2004 11:09:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  11:49:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do suggest we get George or someone on there for older Realmslore knowledge...

With my time constraints, someone like Faraer (as Sage suggested) would be a better candidate.

Anyone got any ideas re a delivery system? Do I (we) just post a topic called "Current Clack: X"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  12:15:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What did George do to poor Eric?

Well, having lived in Ched Nasad for many years in drow form thanks to Eric Boyd, the city's destruction was something of a surprise to me. But thankfully I'm still around and searching the ruins diligently for whatever treasure I can scavenge. It's my nature after all - we blue dragons are notorious hoarders.

If you read the Ched Nasad sections of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and Underdark, you'll realise what I'm rambling about. My "FR Five Minutes .." as it were.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000